Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Curtis Axel the right Heyman guy?

Default Was Curtis Axel the right Heyman guy?

Everyone had a different opinion when this happened, from "WTF?" to "I'll give it a chance." A couple of months later, I'm convinced Curtis Axel was not the right pick. While he is a good, solid wrestler, I think this push has shown us exactly why prior to this, he wasn't given the ball to run with. He just doesn't have any stand out traits or qualities to him. The few seconds of mic time he has received, Axel has come across as terribly bland, and there just isn't anything interesting to him as a character. So, my question is, was Curtis Axel the best choice/the right choice for this role? If not, who would you have chosen instead?

I think aligning Heyman with an NXT superstar would have been a great way to call someone up and could have given someone a big rub. And there are some guys in NXT who could have done a better job charisma-wise with this than Axel has. The one person who stuck out in my mind from the start that would have been good for this role is Corey Graves.

From the main roster, Cody Rhodes or Damien Sandow could have been good choices. They have a storyline right now so things have worked out pretty well for them, but I think if either of them were in the Heyman guy role, their push would have been a lot more well-received than Axel's. I also think they would be featured further up the card than he is right now. Even someone who is a bit similar to Curtis Axel in the sense that he doesn't have much of a character but can go in the ring, Tyson Kidd, would have been a better choice than Axel. Obviously it was out of the question with Kidd being on the shelf, but he still would have been a better choice in all areas including being a better wrestler. Antonio Cesaro is another one who would have been a good choice - although his partnership with Zeb isn't bad and he is getting noticed more now, hanging around with Heyman and briefly wrestling Triple H and Cena could have been huge for him and he would have knocked it out of the park.

I just think it was really stupid to choose someone who doesn't have a character, because here we are two months later and Curtis Axel STILL doesn't have a character. There isn't really anything to look forward to when he is on TV, apart from the chance of Heyman doing something entertaining. And although he is a good worker, his matches haven't been that amazing in all honesty...just a lot of solid but forgettable performances.

surrender

Default Re: Was Curtis Axel the right Heyman guy?

I'm in the same boat. I don't think it was the right choice. He is a good wrestler but apart from that I don't think he can be a sustained main event level star like I think they hope he will be under Heyman. He needs to do something so he can connect with the audience and get over as a heel because right now they simply don't care and they don't really have a reason to hate him. I also think he's only in the position he is in because people like Triple H, by all accounts, like him and he has helped people like The Rock get ring-ready for Mania'.

He's the flavour of the month right now with WWE management but so many other people have been in that position and failed. It's how it works in WWE, they suddenly like someone again out of the blue, push him right away and have him win a mid-card title and then if he doesn't get over in a short space of time, they lose interest and the wrestler falls away again. It's not neccesarily his fault that he didn't get over, the WWE hasn't done their part in helping, it's almost like 'get yourself over' and when they don't, their push is stopped and even if they do, in Zack Ryder's case, if they don't like your work, it doesn't matter. Imagine if WWE put in the same amount of effort they did when trying to get Kozlov over on everyone else, then they'd have made a lot of new stars.

Apologies, sort of went on a tangent there.

Credit to Stefan

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPL CHAMPIONS 2012/13; SCOTTISH CUP 2013 WINNERS; LAST 16 OF UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2012/2013; SWISS CUP FINALISTS; UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI-FINALISTS)

Banned

I think he's coming along just fine. I'm not sure if people expect CM Punk 2.0 or what but this isn't like that. Axel is keeping his belt like he needs to and showing a touch more personality here and there. Him being a guy that can get the job done is good enough for me right now. Him being capable enough to come down and try to help Punk win MITB was a great move and was a win for the character even though he got smashed for it. I think the IC title is right where it needs to be for now and he's good for it. This is a guy that needs help breaking out and getting over. Everyone else that works with Heyman is over as fuck as it is. This guy needs the support and Heyman by his side is a catalyst for why he's better now when he sucked before.

I probably am not going to be the first person in this thread to say no, no he wasn't the right guy. Cesaro would have been the perfect choice. At the time he was in limbo and had nothing to do. Being a "Paul Heyman Guy" would have been a whole lot better for him than this terrible stuff being a real American, despite being from Switzerland. Being associated with Heyman could have done wonders for him. I still believe he will eventually rise to the top though as someone as talented as him rarely gets overlooked these days.

But yeah, someone better than Axel deserved the role. The guy is very, very ordinary in every aspect.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    I don't think he can be a sustained main event level star like I think they hope he will be under Heyman.
    Yeah, on their first night together Heyman said Axel is a future World Champion, and I really can't see Axel even winning the WHC, unless that title somehow falls down even further in importance.

surrender

I always liked Axel's ring work so when he was called up I figured pairing him with Heyman was a good move. Of course I also figured that he'd have developed some kind of mic skills since the last time I saw him on TV. Even with a promo master like Heyman Curtis Axel is painfully boring and his ring work, while solid, isn't nearly good enough to compensate for the fact that he's got all the charisma and personality of a 2x4.

Maybe his character will develop beyond "Hey did you know my dad and grandfather wrestled?" at some point but right now I can't help but feel they wasted a Paul Heyman push on this guy. If I were predicting his future i'd imagine that in the next 6 months he'll be a midcard jobber.

Support the real Mr. Ass.

I disagree with the thought that Cody Rhodes and Sandow would make good Heyman guys. Sandow already has a defined gimmick and I don't see that meshing well at all. Cody Rhodes I just couldn't care less, but then again he would have been better than Axel.

I agree that Cesaro would have been a great choice. I also think Kofi Kingston would have been nice as a Heyman guy, considering they could have played off Punks friendship with Kofi from the start. Of course he would have to switch up his wrestling style a bit.

Banner Credit: Spike

Was Axel the right guy....No. He just isn't good enough to warrant this type of push. I don't care how good he is in the ring as his matches are still really boring. He just has basically no charisma and his mic skills suck.

Sure, that is probably why they put him with Heyman. However, that doesn't make it a good choice. It takes more than a manager to get a wrestler over and to the top. I highly doubt Axel will ever be a WHC or WWE Champ.

If I had my choice, I would have brought Kassius Ohno up to the main roster as the new Heyman guy. I think it would have been a great pairing.

surrender

simply put, no he wasn't.

In fact, if fandango didn't suffer a concussion I'm pretty sure he wouldn't of been the IC champion and they would have figured out that he will never be a major draw anyway. For example, right now the battle of they heyman guys is about lesnar vs punk. that's a major draw right there and sells a lot of tickets. axel involved in it? yeah, not so much. He shouldn't of been the guy paul heyman took, simply because he just doesn't have the IT factor for being a major draw and a top guy, neither is he generating heat at all. Like i don't have a reason to hate to him, nor do i have a reason to cheer for him as well because he didn't really do much outside of letting heyman talk for him and have a bunch of forgettable matches with the top guys but with countout victories and forfeits...

I was hoping for Cesaro or Ohno.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

No...it should have been Cesaro.

Axel has no personality, he'll never match his father's level in the biz IMO.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Banned

I don't agree that it should have been Cesaro. The Real Americans thing he's doing with Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger is pure gold

All Axel does is make me miss his dad. At least he had charisma. He always entertained. Axel needs heyman in order to entertain me. On his own he'd be bland as can be. So what happens when the heyman thing runs its course with Axel? He is just a lump who can wrestle well.

Forever A Warrior
    Thanks for letting us use the banner, JV.
    DX MARK, still..
    Cena fan. Yep, you can hate me.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BringThePain513 View Post
    I don't agree that it should have been Cesaro. The Real Americans thing he's doing with Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger is pure gold
    I dunno, I think the ring work Cesaro has done since joining Zeb, has been pure gold but the angle itself has been kinda meh.

Heyman would've instantly made Cesaro a serious contender, with his mic skills combined with Cesaro's in ring brilliance.

The Real Americans thing can only go so far IMO.

Cesaro should have been Heyman's Next Big Thing like Lesnar was over a decade ago.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDazzler View Post
    I was hoping for Cesaro or Ohno.
    This.

I donít see it.

I know guys like HHH, Rock and X-Pac are high on him. And he is very good in the ring but he doesnít have the charisma or personality or microphone ability to be a star. I but I have faith in Heyman, maybe he can get something out of him.

Thanks Fresh Prince this awesome AV and signature

Axel is as bland as the side of white rice you get with Indian or Chinese food. Graves is a very good shout as someone who should've been the next Heyman guy. If I had my way it would've been Graves or Kruger.

Credit to DC for the hometown hero trophy

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm still good. The usual "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL" crowd is typically unsatisfied.
    Winner of WWE Hometown Heroes at PW Mania X

I thought he was the wrong guy the second I saw it was him and I still think he's the wrong guy. You could already tell he wasn't gonna be anything when he was still McGillicutty.

I don't think he was the right Heyman guy, but I think he was a far better pick for that spot than Cesaro. There's just nothing about Cesaro that is "Heyman" at all. If anything Cesaro needs a guy like Lou Albano or Oliver Humperdink.

Everything about him is just average. There's nothing special about him. His ring work is fine, but nothing great. His charisma is meh. His mic skills aren't particularly good. Decent look, but pretty average looking.

He's a default Create a Wrestler. He's Curtis Axel, Wrestler. (KOTF PLUG!)

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

I don't think it should have been Cesaro because I think pairing Cesaro with Colter was the right move for him.

But it definitely should have been someone other than Axel.

HAYZE

I think when all is said and done Axel will end up as midcarder and possibly future jobber...giving the guy the IC title is okay but when he drops it then he will lose steam and chances are they won't know what to do with him
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriofan View Post
    I think when all is said and done Axel will end up as midcarder and possibly future jobber...giving the guy the IC title is okay but when he drops it then he will lose steam and chances are they won't know what to do with him
    They already don't know what to do with him as he isn't even in a feud right now.

surrender

Yeah I remembered that after I posted...my points already been proven
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

He's just another developmental guy getting the rub from management, nothing special whatsoever. Putting him with Heyman does nothing for him because Heyman is the one getting all the heat, really.

Special thanks to Just Plain Cunt for this awesome banner!

Axel is a change the channel guy for me but I get a sense that Heyman wanted to go with him and the office wanted to push him so they just threw it out there.

It has not paid off but not every guy can be a Brock Lesnar or a CM Punk. You have to suffer through the odd 'Lil Johnny' here and there.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Thread Information