Thread: Roster Size

Default Roster Size

The brand split thread got me thinking. Do you think WWE just has too much talent to properly use it which kind of leads to the reason creative has been so lacking for a while up until recently? If you had to make the tough choices, keep I g in mind that these guys you cut will end up working elsewhere(mainly you're only competition on TV in TNA) who would you get rid of? How would you inject new life into both shows, or would you add a new show to try and utilize all the talent you have? You need to keep jobbers on staff, you can bring guys up from NXT, do what you think would push WWE in the right direction for the future. This isn't a draft. This isn't you booking your dream PPV. We're simply talking about using what you have and cutting dead weight that won't help your competition. Putting that money you save by those cuts into where it should be. Or...keeping everything as is, maybe just tweaking how these guys are used over the course of the year. Have fun.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

Banned

Default Re: Roster Size

The only dead weight the WWE needs to cut is the guys on the writing team that have no wrestling background, and have for the most part spent their career with Jimmy Kimmel and Conan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    The only dead weight the WWE needs to cut is the guys on the writing team that have no wrestling background, and have for the most part spent their career with Jimmy Kimmel and Conan.
    Sounds good to me.

I think WWE has plenty of talent and the roster isn't two big but I do wonder if there's ever any actual work done in the back about character positioning in their card. What level is a Wade Barrett on compared to a Dean Ambrose? Is anyone maintaining integrity when it comes to what guy should be capable of beating another.

Some guys just aren't booked well enough and it creates a big mess in the mid-card, lower card areas.

I'd fire Alex Riley, Jinder Mahal, Ted Dibiase, JTG, Otunga and some of the really bad divas namely Rosa Mendes and Aksana. I'm sure i'll come back to this post tomorrow and add more names.

The main thing that needs to happen is divisions need to be clearer, something like this. Obviously none of this would be set in stone, some veteran midcarders would get occasional main event time and younger ones to see if they're ready

Special Attractions
    HHH
    Taker
    Lesnar

Main Eventers
    Cena
    Punk
    Bryan
    Orton
    Del Rio
    Ziggler

US, IC Champion and midcard (guys who will struggle against main eventers unless they're getting pushed into that echelon, comfortable against fellow midcarders and easily beat low carders/jobbers)
    Barrett
    Ambrose
    Cesaro
    Swagger
    Gabriel
    Axel
    RVD
    Miz
    Kingston
    Christian
    Kane
    Langston
    Big Show
    Bray Wyatt
    Sandow
    Rhodes
    Sin Cara
    Fandango

Low carders/jobbers
    Other name

In typing all that out, my midcard doesn't look any better then WWE's. I guess it just goes to show that the talent is there, they just need to be used properly as I said in the first line.
    Last edited by Oncall; 07-28-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

PW Power 25 winner July 2014

The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

WWE having too much talent is not the problem. The problem is that their writers/bookers are lazy and only write good storylines for the top talent or for the flash-in-the-pans. Midcarders and below may occasionally get a decent storyline, but it's rare.

Banned

The roster is better than ever, they have an abundance of television time, and they have an audience that will waste their money on whatever stupid crap they distribute. Take the writers, teach them how to plan out long term storylines.

The most successful storylines in history lasted over a year. The Rock vs John Cena lasted 2 years and it made a ridiculous amount of money.
    Last edited by Weezl; 07-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.

The problem now is that there is no clear line between mid card and main event. I feel like one minute someones in the World Title picture, and a few weeks later they can be jobbing in the mid-card. When they push someone to the main event and give them the World or WWE title, they should STAY in the Main Event and be considered a Main Eventer for the rest of their career, don't push someone to the top who isn't ready then demote them, it makes the Titles look bad as well.

They have enough talent for a brand split now. I also miss ECW, it would give guys a chance who never really got much TV time, and would often put on some of my favorite match of the week.

WWE should get rid of Susperstars and Main Event. Go back to the old days when Raw and SmackDown would play off each other. As in if Stone Cold was feuding with HHH then they'd feud on Raw and SmackDown as top feud. Not how it is today where a top Raw feud might not carry over to SmackDown and the top SmackDown feud usually is just lesser mid card fluff when being apart of Raw.

Banned

That top line is supposed to be blurred though. Some midcard guys are supposed to rise to the top and fail. Others make it and stay for a while and then go back down. The main event isn't meant to always be the same guys all the time. It's a journey that starts and ends and starts over again. Very few can stay at the top and have things work out. It's why s many people hate on Cena. If he went and did other things than chase gold or end the show people wouldn't be so bothered but he endlessly tops the food chain even when he shouldn't. That's bad for business.

Another problem is they throw their 'superstars' out there weekly to get jobbed out. Its almost like they don't care who they job out, and when it comes time to make that wrestler a star they cant get their foot out of the mud. Why gives gimmicks to these guys who are just there to be beaten up? A lot of times the jobber(lets say Kofi Kingston) gets in a ton of offense which essentially is making the star, or the guy who is going to win look weak. Lets get no name jobbers back in the WWE. I loved it when Ryback was beating upon jobbers every week.

Banner Credit: Spike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty The Rebel View Post
    WWE should get rid of Susperstars and Main Event. Go back to the old days when Raw and SmackDown would play off each other. As in if Stone Cold was feuding with HHH then they'd feud on Raw and SmackDown as top feud. Not how it is today where a top Raw feud might not carry over to SmackDown and the top SmackDown feud usually is just lesser mid card fluff when being apart of Raw.
    Those 2 not so great shows pretty much just take the place of Heat, Velocity, Jakked orMetal. Don't carry main event story lines in them but you can progress a midcard feud here and there. Put Midcard title holders on them so they can collect wins and get built a little. Those shows should be full of local jobbers and tryout matches for training facility guys. You can have Dean Ambrose or Curtis Axel get better every week off the main shows too. Or put Rollins or Reigns over individually on the shows.

Well first and foremost.

Id get rid of the writers. Id get guys with wrestling backgrounds to book the shows. Having Hollywood writers who have never even watched a wrestling program in their life as your writer is a terrible idea.

Secondly, Id use the brand extention. Right now the brand extention is one giant clusterfuck. Keep Smackdown guys on Smackdown and Raw guys on Raw. No more inter-brand stuff unless its a one off storyline, to help take a popular star from Smackdown to Raw.

Id use Smackdown as a proving ground. Basically guys you see as the future of WWE cut their teeth there, they don't make any Raw apperances unless they've shown they can handle the pressure, then they go to Raw, and they STAY ON RAW. No more of this back and forth crap. Basically if you get promoted to Raw and you bomb you are gone, because if you can't hold a crowd on Raw then you don't need to be in the WWE plain and simple.

And basically the only way to get put on Raw is to hold the WHC basically like what they do in NxT now where the Champion of NXT usually is the next guy to get called up.

Id put divisions back together. The lines are way too blurred one who is where on the roster. And as far as the Divas division Id take the very few that are worth a damn like Kaitlyn, AJ, Nattie, and the Funkadactules, retrain them to be REAL wrestlers. And drop every other diva, and bring in actual divas who can wrestle.

Restructure the tag division, no more of these randomly thrown together teams. Bring in real teams with real expierience and make the division worth a damn again.

This is exactly where I thought this thread would go. And I say that in full agreement. Vince pays these talents amazing amounts of money, but when it comes to the bones of the company, has these hack storylines that get muddled and dizzying throughout the year. 52 Raws a year. 52 Smackdowns. PPVs. All the time in the world to groom and cultivate epic stories, along with some OK filler stories. And we have the same 6-10 guys recycling the same pitch over and over. I really think the formula is stale. 'Start a feud. Build it to a PPV. END. Recap at next Raw. Start over. 3 PPVs later, recycle storyline with new people. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.' Those stories could last 6-8 mos. If they would division off their creative team.
    'You 2. You are in charge of a Cena-Henry feud. You have 3 mos to plan it before it begins. It needs to last for 6 months. We will meet weekly to see what direction you're headed. The 3 of us and Vince will be the only people who know the story farther than A week in advance when we meet with the talent. Blah blah blah. Then have dedicated people for mid card ideas, break them into smaller teams to work on specific storylines. They need to get ahead of themselves by a few months. And I know, leaks are a big reason why they keep things so close to the vest. But the alternative is painful to watch at times.
    And, by the way, if this is already close to the creative method they employ, wow. They kinda just suck at their jobs.
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

I have to disagree with all of you, the lines being a bit blurred is a good thing, it means like guys like Antonio Cesaro gets a good showing in the ring rather than just being squashed in the ring in a two minute match.

I mean that's what we were craving for more match time and young guys being pushed.

Right now were in the realistic age of wrestling were a main eventer talent wouldn't be able to destroy 5 midcard guys. Back in the attitude era Kane would come out and take on all of Dx & the radicals and win. Now this would not happen.

This is a good thing, wwe being realistic makes it more believable.

If you want to go back to the days were guys didn't get in ring time and just got squashed then good for you but for me i'm enjoying watching guys like Cesaro & Rhodes go out their and compete competitively with your PUnks, Cenas & Ortons.

Thanks To Hayze

Then what's there to disagree with? I didn't see anyone say they want one guy to beat up 12?
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Some guys just aren't booked well enough and it creates a big mess in the mid-card, lower card areas.

I'd fire Alex Riley, Jinder Mahal, Ted Dibiase, JTG, Otunga and some of the really bad divas namely Rosa Mendes and Aksana. I'm sure i'll come back to this post tomorrow and add more names.

The main thing that needs to happen is divisions need to be clearer, something like this. Obviously none of this would be set in stone, some veteran midcarders would get occasional main event time and younger ones to see if they're ready

Special Attractions
    HHH
    Taker
    Lesnar

Main Eventers
    Cena
    Punk
    Bryan
    Orton
    Del Rio
    Ziggler

US, IC Champion and midcard (guys who will struggle against main eventers unless they're getting pushed into that echelon, comfortable against fellow midcarders and easily beat low carders/jobbers)
    Barrett
    Ambrose
    Cesaro
    Swagger
    Gabriel
    Axel
    RVD
    Miz
    Kingston
    Christian
    Kane
    Langston
    Big Show
    Bray Wyatt
    Sandow
    Rhodes
    Sin Cara
    Fandango

Low carders/jobbers
    Other name

In typing all that out, my midcard doesn't look any better then WWE's. I guess it just goes to show that the talent is there, they just need to be used properly as I said in the first line.
    What about Sheamus? He's one of the Main Eventers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty The Rebel View Post
    WWE gets paid to produce TV shows. Why would they get rid of two of them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    WWE gets paid to produce TV shows. Why would they get rid of two of them?
    Totally valid point.

Yeah, Vince said earlier that he is really focused on producing more for TV, didn't he? Problem seems to be that he didn't have all his writers in this place(or have the RIGHT ONES) before his heavy movement. Look, ya gotta have Hollywood-types cause they know how to induce drame into a script. But that drama also needs balance. Wrestlers know what works to move a crowd. And they won't always get it right. Look at this DB push. Either they are on pace to make a killer future superstar, or they are about to set back an amazing talent's progress by 6 months. I don't mean that The crowd would turn on him if he lost clean at SS. But booking him weak like they did with The Mark Henry tapout does nothing for the guy. Balance. Mark Henry should NEVER tap out to Cena. He's the world's strongest man, for god's sake. Major plotline error. Which means it wasn't thought out for long enough nor revised to make Mark this baby face he's sort of becoming. Losing is one thing. Major judgement errors are another.
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Knows he isn't welcome

The roster is fine, and just like everybody has said, the writers are the real problem.

Also, this thread makes me miss Saturday Morning Slam, aka the best WWE show.

*hears 'Memories' playing*
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Banned

What's the point of having two world titles without a roster split

Quote Originally Posted by BringThePain513 View Post
    What's the point of having two world titles without a roster split
    Why do people post things to get a reaction?

surrender

Thread Information