Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Royal Rumble.

Default Talk to me about the Royal Rumble.

Not sure if this belongs here, or in General Wrestling, or in History. Mods may move it to another forum if they think it is more appropriate elsewhere.

I have always loved the Rumble, even over and above Wrestlemania, because the match itself is always so much fun. And the surprise entrants are often mark out moments. It is one hour of choreographed mayhem, and AFAIK there have never been any major stuff ups.

But I have questions. Is every elimination pre-booked as to whom does what to whom? Has there ever been a major stuff up? i.e., somebody who was supposed to be final four accidentally eliminated, or the winner being injured, and the booking changed midstream?

Is the work called to the Refs. during the match, or are the participants sent out with instructions as to what to do next. Or is it all done so well that everybody before the start knows exactly what they have to do?

It just looks so hard to organise, and manage the progress/process but usually looks so seamless that it is almost impossible to tell if anybody has ever majorly fucked up.

So, any stories about this magic event, for mine the best on the Calendar and any known screw ups (within the Rumble itself) would be fun to read.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

Norm

Default Re: Talk to me about the Royal Rumble.

They know who will win, and who will be in the final four. The rest they can make up as they go along (I think)

No major stuff ups? How about Riley being eliminated before his big spot in the match and everyone involved in said spot having to improvise?
    baboosh

Randy Savage eliminated himself in 92 yet carried on like nothing had happened.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

A lot of it seems to be controlled by creative. I don't know how they work it, but it is one of the few mysteries of the business.

Wrestlers who have history always seem to come face to face, so I'm willing to bet creative does most of it. Allowing all the guys in the match to collaborate on it would be a total nightmare.

Spoiler

I kinda want Sandow to pull a Lawler at the next rumble.

He comes in at number one, lasts as the ring slowly fills up, and he just casually slides out and under the ring while everybody else if focused on a commotion elsewhere, and only emerges when one man remains, only to get eliminated by said man.
    baboosh

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post

He comes in at number one, lasts as the ring slowly fills up, and he just casually slides out and under the ring while everybody else if focused on a commotion elsewhere, and only emerges when one man remains, only to get eliminated by said man.
    That wouldn't go undetected, though. Especially since all eyes are on number 1.

Spoiler

I think it's meticulously planned out but there's no chance it's completely choreographed. That would be way too complicated, not to mention there are too many moments when wrestlers are just wandering around and punching random guys.

My guess is that creative comes up with the order starting with who wins and how late in the match they should enter, then work backwards until they have the order.

I've never noticed any kind of signal being given where wrestlers know when to get themselves eliminated. It could be as simple as knowing who gets out before you, but I don't have a clue. I'm sure at least one of the refs probably knows the order or is at least told on his earpiece if he needs to let a wrestler know it's time to go.

Most of the time there are also big spots in the match that you imagine where planned out but you never know what some of the more creative wrestlers come up with on the spot.

And I'm nearly positive that when they get down to the last 2-3 guys almost everything from there on is planned out.

I have always wondered if the 2005 Rumble was supposed to end the way it did with Cena and Batista both going ver the top rope and having the match restarted. It looked to me like only Cena was supposed to go over. I could be wrong though and it was planned that way.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Didn't Santino do something like that a couple years back?

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Didn't Santino do something like that a couple years back?
    Santino got knocked out of the ring towards the end. I'm talking having someone do it from the beginning.
    baboosh

I would think its all carefully planned out, especially if the supposed winner was to accidentally be eliminated.

Rileys elimination:

Last edited by Dazz Hands; 07-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Banned

The double elimination in 2005 was not planned. The refs did not know what to do after the match and the GM's were on the other side of the building while Vince was in the gorilla position. He stormed out there because they couldnt make the decision on there own.

Also Maven eliminating Undertaker was planned! I think all eliminations are planned. If they werent big show would go to the final 5 every year just because he could!

Wasn't it the Royal Rumble where Lawler stood on one foot outside the ring until Bret Hart came back out and eliminated him? Or was it just some random battle royal?

Speaking of the "one foot," or "Shawn Michaels rule," I never remember hearing it mentioned before the 1995 RR. I wondered when I first heard about it(didn't see the match live) if it was created on the spot for him. Although I've watched the match more than a few times, I never thought to listen to if the commentators mention the rule beforehand.

But I think it's unlikely as Bulldog had to turn his back on Shawn and celebrate his victory. His music even hits to make it more plausible that Bulldog thought he had won. And that would be even more strange if the people in charge of the music didn't at least see Shawn touch the floor. Still I think it was at least just created for that one spot. I'm surprised a lot more wrestlers don't take advantage of it.

The 1997 Royal Rumble is the one I really want to know about. Just in case anyone doesn't know the history, Steve Austin, who was a mid-carder before June of the previous year, screwed Bret to win. But they ended up wrestling each other at Wrestlemania in a non-title match that stole the show. Undertaker, I don't remember how, got the spot that should have gone to the RR winner. Sid lost the title to Shawn at the RR but walked into WM as the champion. And I've always heard that a Shawn/Bret rematch was scheduled for WM at some point, but Shawn ended up sitting it out. How many changes in booking could that RR and that time period in general have gone through.
    Last edited by William; 07-26-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Im sure most of the wrestlers have their duties as they go out there, some more important than others. For example Kane eliminates 7 guys, and he knows beforehand who they all are and waits for the moment. Probably aided by the refs at ringside.

Banner Credit: Spike

Quote Originally Posted by spladle125 View Post
    The double elimination in 2005 was not planned. The refs did not know what to do after the match and the GM's were on the other side of the building while Vince was in the gorilla position. He stormed out there because they couldnt make the decision on there own.
    ...and Vince managed tear both his quads in the process. The whole thing was a screwup on an epic level.

Wait....

Alex Riley was penciled in to win the 2011 Royal Rumble?
    - Credit: Bender -

I...what? That would have changed...literally everything.

It's Clobberin' Time Summer of Punk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Wait....

Alex Riley was penciled in to win the 2011 Royal Rumble?
    I think he was just showing an accidental elimination, which is what that looked like.

Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig.

STL Cards: 90-72 :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

Yeah, Riley was never planned to win the 2011 RR.

surrender

I wanted to see Zach Gowen, during his WWE run, in the Royal Rumble. The thought of Zach Gowen in the Royal Rumble always made me wonder how he would get eliminated.

I'm sure Kofi will eliminate himself one day. I don't know how he managed to not fall off/break JBL's chair this year

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty The Rebel View Post
    I wanted to see Zach Gowen, during his WWE run, in the Royal Rumble. The thought of Zach Gowen in the Royal Rumble always made me wonder how he would get eliminated.
    Well seeing as how both feet have to touch the floor...I'd say he had a pretty good shot at winning.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

I've always wondered about this too.

But take into consideration the endings where the last two participents feet touch the floor at the same time. I believe Rock/Big Show, and one other recently happened. That has got to take a hell of a lot of planning and stratigy to do that and make it look legit.

It's odd to me that nothing has ever been leaked on how the rumble match works, it truely is one of the greatest mysteries of wrestling. Not only the rumble but think about back when WCW did WW3 and their 60 man rumble? That had to have been a nitemare to book.

The 1997 Royal Rumble is the one I really want to know about. Just in case anyone doesn't know the history, Steve Austin, who was a mid-carder before June of the previous year, screwed Bret to win. But they ended up wrestling each other at Wrestlemania in a non-title match that stole the show. Undertaker, I don't remember how, got the spot that should have gone to the RR winner. Sid lost the title to Shawn at the RR but walked into WM as the champion. And I've always heard that a Shawn/Bret rematch was scheduled for WM at some point, but Shawn ended up sitting it out. How many changes in booking could that RR and that time period in general have gone through.
    Hart Vs. Michaels was the original planned main event, but when Shawn refused to job to Bret, there was talk of Hart Vs. Austin for the WWF Championship, but Austin was an unproven draw at the time so Vince played it safe and went with the classic hoss vs. hoss formula. Had things worked out as planned, I think Steve would've faced Bulldog.
    It's showtime, folks!

Thread Information