Thread: How will history recall Paul Heyman in WWE?

It's actually Doctor Whom Froggy's Avatar

Question How will history recall Paul Heyman in WWE?

I'm playing catch up a little, I've only just got through watching Raw.

That promo exchange between Punk and Heyman, followed by the pulsating physical encounter between the former and Brock Lesmar...I mean; wow. If you're a fan of professional wrestling, how fucking awesome was that whole segment? I mean, really. Absolutely incredible course of action.

I'm on record as saying Paul is, for me, the WWE's MVP for 2013. I can't remember an episode of WWE programming on which Heyman's featured a significant amount of time when I wasn't totally enthralled by his work. Now, obviously I'm a mental fan of his who bought into his ECW brand wholeheartedly - I know his history, and that might put me in the minority (a significant minority, I'd venture...but a minority nonetheless).

So, bearing in mind the storied and chequered history Paul has with Vince, with WWE and with the industry as a whole...how do you think history will recall Heyman's contribution to the organisation? Will it reflect him as being a master of his craft, a man who knows the art as well as any Dungeon trainer, and one of the best antagonists / managers (with or without the microphone) there has ever been?

Or will it be spun? Will it recollect his business failings and the lower points of his career?

As a secondary question; how impressed have you been with Paul Heyman over his latest run with WWE?
    - Heteroflexible -

- PW Hall of Fame Inductee - Class of 2013 -
    - The Sports Empire Hall of Fame Inductee - Class of 2010 -
    - 3 x TBG Poster of the Year || PW Fan Fiction Idol Champion - 2012 - || TBG Prem Predictions Champion - 2012/13 || TBG Fantasy Premier League Champion - 2013/14 -
    - Be good. -

Default Re: How will history recall Paul Heyman in WWE?

He'll be remembered as a great promo guy and genius, and a piece of shit who would rather climb a tree and lie than stay on the ground and tell the truth.

This is the guy who didn't tell his own employees to find a new job, he just jumped ship and let them find out for themselves, after all.
    baboosh

I've been really impressed with Paul Heyman over the past year. His mic work is so consistent, as is his ability to convey emotion. A lot of the wrestling talent could learn a lot about how to work off of the crowd from him. He is one of the main reasons I watch Raw these days, and I couldn't say that about any other non-wrestler.

I too was a fan of his back in the ECW days, and even during his WCW run. I'd like to think he would be remembered kindly, but think it will probably be a mixed bag, probably veering towards the negative (due to his business failings). I'd like to hope he'd be inducted into the Hall of Fame in time.

As a promoter he will rightly be remembered as a mixed bag. He was extremely creative but never mastered the art of making a fan wait for the climax. He always blew his load too quickly on whatever he was booking, and it cost him.

As an on-screen character he will go down as one of the best and most entertaining managers ever, for sure.

On Smackdown Cole and Lawler both said he was one of the best managers of all time, so I would think he is very highly regarded as a talent.

I wonder just how much of a "sleazeball" he is in real life. He comes across as portraying a character that is probably much like himself.

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    I wonder just how much of a "sleazeball" he is in real life. He comes across as portraying a character that is probably much like himself.
    Well, if Danny Doring is to be believed, when ECW went under, rather than tell the boys that it was over and to find work elsewhere, he immediately ran to Vince to get a job and left everyone else high and dry. Cornette could fill a book with Heyman stories too.
    baboosh

He seems like he really is a habitual liar in real life.

Banned

As a promoter and behind the scenes guy, he'll be remembered as alternative and revolutionary. Poor with money as well.

As a performer, he'll be remembered as one of the best ever in the various roles he's assumed.

Great legacy. A lot of be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    He seems like he really is a habitual liar in real life.
    There was another Doring story I recall.

Basically, Roadkill and Doring, and Joey Matthews and Christian York all got a tryout with WWE. I'm gonna say 2002-2003. They were gonna tryout against themselves (Doring & Roadkill vs York & Matthews), and thusly Heyman got made agent for their match (I believe, could be misremembering that). Heyman gave them one of his pep talks, and told them to go out there and put on the match they would have put on in ECW. They go out there, go 20 minutes, and tear the house down, powerbombs, double teams out the ass, they stole the show. They come to the back, and Dean, Arn etc are all there, Heyman is nowhere to be seen, he is outta there, and all these agents proceed to chew the 4 guys out. "Whaddya doing, Powerbombs? The Hart Attack! THAT'S A FINISHER HERE!" The 4 guys left realizing Heyman had set them up to fail.

Roadkill eventually got a developmental deal, and told Doring that Heyman was down in FCW doing one of his pep talks, and proceeded to shit all over Doring, saying he didn't have enough heart for the business, and that's why Roadkill was there and not Doring. This is the same Danny Doring who missed his own mothers funeral to work a show for Heyman which he didn't even get paid for (and incidentally, the ECW guys helped Doring pay the funeral costs even though there weren't making shit either).

It's sad when even the positive stories about Heyman still involve him lying in some way.
    baboosh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    There was another Doring story I recall.

Basically, Roadkill and Doring, and Joey Matthews and Christian York all got a tryout with WWE. I'm gonna say 2002-2003. They were gonna tryout against themselves (Doring & Roadkill vs York & Matthews), and thusly Heyman got made agent for their match (I believe, could be misremembering that). Heyman gave them one of his pep talks, and told them to go out there and put on the match they would have put on in ECW. They go out there, go 20 minutes, and tear the house down, powerbombs, double teams out the ass, they stole the show. They come to the back, and Dean, Arn etc are all there, Heyman is nowhere to be seen, he is outta there, and all these agents proceed to chew the 4 guys out. "Whaddya doing, Powerbombs? The Hart Attack! THAT'S A FINISHER HERE!" The 4 guys left realizing Heyman had set them up to fail.

Roadkill eventually got a developmental deal, and told Doring that Heyman was down in FCW doing one of his pep talks, and proceeded to shit all over Doring, saying he didn't have enough heart for the business, and that's why Roadkill was there and not Doring. This is the same Danny Doring who missed his own mothers funeral to work a show for Heyman which he didn't even get paid for (and incidentally, the ECW guys helped Doring pay the funeral costs even though there weren't making shit either).

It's sad when even the positive stories about Heyman still involve him lying in some way.
    Pretty close
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBLdm-dUOMM

Banned

I'd like to see Heyman remembered for being great on screen and with booking. I couldn't care less about his business sense or lack there of. He made entertaining television and made stars out of nobodies. Plenty of business owner's have a done a shit load worse than Heyman did. None of that effects me because he's an entertainer, not my boss. He's been nothing short of amazing in this latest run since he came back for Brock and the moment I saw him driving the car Punk got into after killing Cena was one of the biggest pop moments I've had in the last decade. Like Holy Shit This Is Really Happening. I couldn't be more pleased with him and I have a ton of faith in the guy still creatively and performer wise.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I'm sure he'll be remembered a sleazebag promoter who just so happened to be a professional genius and one of the best managers of all time.

Obviously he'll be remembered for ECW, but I think he'll also be remembered for all of the talent he managed.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Thread Information