Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SummerSlam 2013 - WWE Champion John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

Default SummerSlam 2013 - WWE Champion John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

This match deserves its own thread. It's context within WWE is pretty huge with the run Bryan has been on, but it's context here on PW, where several of our posters have followed Dragon's journey from the very beginning just over a decade ago, is absolutely enormous. His moment has arrived. He will share the spotlight at the mighty SummerSlam event, and he will share it with the top dog, John Cena. These moments, they come along every so often, especially now that Vince has relaxed his old school checklist, but perhaps this is one we shouldn't take for granted.

Discuss what you want from the match, who you would like to win the match (and please don't be scared to say Cena ), how you see it going, and how good you think it will be. Do you see Orton interfering? Will Cena be a heel on the night? Will Bryan bring his fast-paced style that he's so much joy with this year, or will he slow it down and wrestle Cena to death (yes, we can talk kayfabe too, it's all fun). Whatever you want or expect, discuss it here.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: SummerSlam 2013 - WWE Champion John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

What I'm worried about here is that people won't accept anything less than Bryan walking out as champion as a success.

That's the outcome I want, too, but we also have to look big picture here. They obviously want to push Bryan long term now, and I think that will remain the case, particularly if they have Orton cash in on him. It will be different from what happened with Christian in that Bryan would be the face and would likely get his clean retribution down the road.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Well, I can see Orton cashing in on the victor - Which will be Bryan I think.
    - Credit: Bender -

is Fan Fic's biggest bust Dazz Hands's Avatar

If Bryan were to win, how would he do it? The WWE will certainty not let Cena tap, so would he have to find a new finisher, or would he win by a roll up, or maybe a small package?

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by TheDazzler View Post
    If Bryan were to win, how would he do it? The WWE will certainty not let Cena tap, so would he have to find a new finisher, or would he win by a roll up, or maybe a small package?
    I assume he'd win via the Flying Goat (which is what his headbutt seems to be called now).

HAYZE

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I assume he'd win via the Flying Goat (which is what his headbutt seems to be called now).
    I would hate to see Bryan winning with that, especially since Cena has kicked out of worse. Also because I hate seeing Bryan do the flying headbutt, its cool but we all know the bad things that could happen from it.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

I mean, Cena kicked out of three Rock Bottoms at WrestleMania. Nothing Bryan does is going to be worse than that, so we'll have to suspend disbelief on that front.

HAYZE

Some kind of clever pinning technique, like a bridge or a small package, will work just fine.

I mean, Cena kicked out of three Rock Bottoms at WrestleMania. Nothing Bryan does is going to be worse than that, so we'll have to suspend disbelief on that front.
    Unless Bryan knocks out Cena with elbows!

Won't happen, but a kid can dream.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

I could totally picture Yes chants during that if he did it now.

HAYZE

I think if Bryan is going to win then it'll be due to an interference. Like Triple H and Stephanie help him to piss of Vince something like that.

Or knowing WWE, he will win clean....then Orton will cash in straight after. Making us think a change is coming but then taking it away right at the last second.

Regardless of the result however I'm really looking forward to the match. Has the potential to be an absolute classic.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Good. Everyone should picture the elbows along with yes chants and embrace it.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by TheDazzler View Post
    Clearly Bryan should be the one to bring the Canadian Destroyer to the WWE.

Even if Orton cashes in on Bryan after he wins, or even if he loses, i'll be happy as long as they let Bryan stay a face against Cena. The implications of Daniel Bryan not turning heel against Cena when so many others have would be enormous. Obviously i'm still hoping for him to win and have a nice long title reign though, preferably without unneeded McMahon/Helmsey drama mucking up the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss HHH View Post
    Or knowing WWE, he will win clean....then Orton will cash in straight after. Making us think a change is coming but then taking it away right at the last second.
    I think this is the most likely outcome right now, and I honestly won't have a problem with it as long as it leads to Bryan getting it back.

Again, I've been pissed at certain outcomes before, only to see it play out well long term (with the most recent example being Orton winning MITB, only for Bryan to be named number one contender last night).

Long term thinking is key here, I think.

HAYZE

I finally understand all the goat references now!

Banner Credit: Spike

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I would actually want Cena to win this match in controversial fashion if we re talking long term thinking.

Because a Bryan loss here would pave the way for a potential Rumble win and possibly a rematch win over Cena at Mania.

Cena wins and Orton RKOs him outta nowhere and cashes in.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    I would actually want Cena to win this match in controversial fashion if we re talking long term thinking.

Because a Bryan loss here would pave the way for a potential Rumble win and possibly a rematch win over Cena at Mania.

Cena wins and Orton RKOs him outta nowhere and cashes in.
    I think you need to replace 'would' with 'could'.
    - Credit: Bender -

BIG..MISTAKE!

Not what I think will happen, but it'd be amazing if Bryan beat Cena in a grueling match, then Orton's music hits. Orton cashes in, but Daniel Bryan pins him quickly with a roll-up or small package.

I could be wrong, but I doubt Vince will book his golden boy to lose to Daniel Bryan at one of the biggest PPV events of the year. Just don't see it happening.

It would be pretty awesome if Bryan won and stayed champion until the Royal Rumble though.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I think you need to replace 'would' with 'could'.
    But it would pave the way for a POTENTIAL Rumble and Mania win

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

It may seem a distant thought for some, but Vince could flick a switch with Cena. If he decides that Cena needs to be replaced he won't drag it out, it will be quick and painless. That is going to happen one day, and Cena is older now, and carrying injuries. I'm not saying I expect him to do it, but I wouldn't be totally suprised if it happened in the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    It may seem a distant thought for some, but Vince could flick a switch with Cena. If he decides that Cena needs to be replaced he won't drag it out, it will be quick and painless. That is going to happen one day, and Cena is older now, and carrying injuries. I'm not saying I expect him to do it, but I wouldn't be totally suprised if it happened in the next couple of years.
    The thing is, Vince has never really "decided" that a guy needed to be replaced.

Hogan left. Bret left. HBK "retired" in '98. Austin walked out and then decided he was done shortly after returning. Rock left for the movies.

Cena's not going anywhere, so who's to say that Vince is ever going to make the call that he's done, until Cena makes that decision for himself?

HAYZE

Bret was definitely replaced, Vince randomly decided one day he was too old. He acknowledges this on an interview with Off the Record (I can't remember which one but catch them all, they're fantastic). Austin was also replaced, by Rock. Hogan was replaced but it failed because no one wanted to pay to see Savage and Warrior. I accept Rock but he was very much still young and in his prime.

When I say 'replaced', I don't mean kicked to the curb. I mean no longer the number one guy.

Well Austin getting hurt was a fairly big factor in why Rock had the 2000 that he did (although he would have still been a huge deal anyway).

I've never heard of that Vince interview, but you may be right. Still, it just still seems to me like them voluntarily replacing Cena is a long way off.

I do feel good about where they're going right now, though, with regards to trying harder to balance what the smarks and casuals want to see.

HAYZE

I don't see WWE replacing Cena anytime soon, because if whoever they replace him with fails, that would be a big hit on WWE, especially since ratings, viewership, and PPV buys still are not that good.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Thread Information