Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cena's title run, will it last longer then Punk's?

Default Cena's title run, will it last longer then Punk's?

Just throwing this out there, it seems like the hell bent on making John Cena look like the most epic superstar of all time during this title run. He's already brushed of Rock, Mark Henry and Ryback, and its been debated that the WWE is very insecure about John Cena's status within the business. There is a glass ceiling in the WWE, and it is John Cena, nobody is allowed to look better then him. So Punk has achieved this record breaking title run, whats the bet there going to make John Cena break it, in order to, once again, confirm he's the number one superstar ever.

Default Re: Cena's title run, will it last longer then Punk's?

I can see them going that route (although that would require him to retain at WrestleMania 30), but given Cena's history of hip and neck issues, I don't think he will. He's also not getting any younger.
    It's showtime, folks!

I don't know if they will do that but I can see them having superman fight off a surprise Orton cash in.

I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

I hope they have him be Superman and fight off Orton's surprise attack, there is no part of me that wants to see him with the title. Here's the thing, I'm a John Cena fan, he's not my favorite or anything, but its gotten to the point where he's put on so many good matches, and has been so consistent, that even though his character isn't for me, and he bores me, I respect his dedication and work ethic so much I like him. But, its so stagnant, you can make him a big part of the program without him being shown as better as literally everyone else. They did that with Austin in the attidude era, and it worked well for that period...but it only lasted for two years, then he couldn't continue, and people got bored of it by the end of it then. Its been almost ten years, since he's been shown as being the most hardest workingest champion ever, and it never changes. Even Punk couldn't get on the same level as him, and it wasn't because the fans were behind him. So if he does break that one record that shows that other superstars are allowed to have their own achievements, I'll, well, sigh :P I've not stopped watching for almost fifteen years now, but it'll get me down.

Don't think it will be longer than Punk's. Punk's reign was something very unique for modern wrestling, and I think it will stay that way. Can't see them taking some prestige off that reign by having the next guy hold it for even longer.

To be honest, Cena fighting off a surprise Orton cash in is a win-win for me as a fan for 2 reasons.

1. It adds a much needed layer of unpredictability to the MITB cash ins
    2. Orton doesn't get a run as WWE champion.

No complaints from me if that happens. As for this reign, I doubt it. Punks run was special. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops it at a big ppv like Summerslam or Survivor Series. Though as a sidenote, Survivor Series isn't that big these days, i'd say MITB is close to if not already replacing it as a "big 4" event.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

PW Power 25 winner July 2014

The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    To be honest, Cena fighting off a surprise Orton cash in is a win-win for me as a fan for 2 reasons.

1. It adds a much needed layer of unpredictability to the MITB cash ins
    2. Orton doesn't get a run as WWE champion.

No complaints from me if that happens. As for this reign, I doubt it. Punks run was special. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops it at a big ppv like Summerslam or Survivor Series. Though as a sidenote, Survivor Series isn't that big these days, i'd say MITB is close to if not already replacing it as a "big 4" event.
    Could probably help Orton's heel turn too. If he cashes in and fails he would realise just how much of a failure he's been the last few years, and how stagnant he's been; causing him to snap.

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Won't even come close. It will be over by October.

Spoiler

Banned

I despise this Cena run already. Last night should have been Mark Henry's definitive moment. He could have had a month-long reign and it would not have hurt Cena at all. At this point NOTHING can or will hurt Cena. Henry deserved and EARNED that WWE Championship win. I'm not a Cena hater, but after watching that match, the words "Screw Cena" certainly did reverberate through my mind.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Unless it's going to culminate in the Taker match... let's hope not.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Unless it's going to culminate in the Taker match... let's hope not.
    This, so very much this.

I really don't think I could handle John Cena as WWE champion for a year.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

No...Punk wouldn't of even got that reign if it wasn't for the WWE wanting to do something special for Rock's comeback.

Cena will drop it befrore or at Night of Champions.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I don't think it'll make it that long. Maybe til Survivor Series, but I don't see it lasting much longer than that.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I think Cena's reign lasting longer than Punk's is definitely likely. Even if it's just long enough to surpass Punk's reign, it's entirely likely.

Could all be part of making John Cena a Legend. I mean, heck. Who is to say they don't want him to break BRUNO'S record?

YOU WILL COMPLY.

I honestly don't understand why Cena needs a 'legendary' championship reign at this point.

Wasn't 2005-07 enough?

Sure, he had 3 different reigns in that period but all three lasted a significant amount of time...

280, 133 and 380 days

So essentially 793 days

His current reign is at 99 days and will likely surpass the triple figure mark...neither he nor the company needs it.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post

Could all be part of making John Cena a Legend. I mean, heck. Who is to say they don't want him to break BRUNO'S record?
    This is a strong possibility as Cena has stated he wants to break the record of Sammartino earlier this year jokingly knowing it can't really ever be broken, but I also agree with the comment I believe he should only hold til Mania if it's to build to a huge moment in history like facing the streak(buzz would be crazy) or passing the torch(not likely).

I also believe Punk only got that reign because it was to create a huge comeback title win for Rock which was just part of the feud with Cena.

Punk's accolade looks safe for now imo though and probably shouldby be surpassed yet for a couple years at least.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

There is no reason for it to happen. Why would they build up Punk that much only to have it beat again so quickly?

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    There is no reason for it to happen. Why would they build up Punk that much only to have it beat again so quickly?
    To give John Cena that 'legendary' run.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

I would say that there is zero chance that he is surpassing Punk's reign.
    I am not a Cena hater, I respect him more with each great match that he puts on, but the fact is that he doesn't "need" the title and there are better places for that prop to be, and other superstars to be made. He will be dropping it within the next three ppvs. I'm with the masses expecting a DB win and great moment ruined by the turning Randy Orton.
    1 Time Internet Champion

1 Time X-Champion (3 Months)

The issue I have with the "He doesn't need the title" is that it creates a situation like last year where his matches are headlining over title matches which is a double edged sword as it sort of makes both him and the title look bad.

There is a reason for this redemption angle to rectify the title taking a backseat. It's not that Cena looks bad without it, but it hinders his feuds and the champions feuds simultaneously. People here had problems when Cena confronted Punk last year as challenger and stated his reign meant nothing until he could beat him.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

I cannot see the point in Cena having the the longest title run gimmick when they just did it last year. Doesn't do either run any justice really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I'm not even being snarky and sardonic when I say this anymore.

It's because John Cena.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

If WWE is smart they will have John Cena's current reign rival Punk's reign.

Banner Credit: Spike

He is still a little over 1000+ for total days to surpass Hogans total days. I wonder if that is the ultimate goal long term before he retires. It would most likely mean he surpasses Flair (most championships) and Hogan (#2 all time total days). Depending on how many years he has left I see both being attainable unfortunately

I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    If WWE is smart they will have John Cena's current reign rival Punk's reign.
    That'll be smart, but I don't see Cena's reign lasting THAT long, or even coming close.

After Punks reign, WWE shouldn't really go into super long reigns anymore.

Thread Information