Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania in Philadelphia? DID YOU HEAR ME I SAID WRESTLEMANIA IN PHILADELPHIA?

Default Wrestlemania in Philadelphia? DID YOU HEAR ME I SAID WRESTLEMANIA IN PHILADELPHIA?

So, my city, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the greatest city in the world, has been abuzz with rumors all day that our beautiful city, more specifically our not-so-beloved Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles, was under consideration to be the host for WRESTLEMANIA 31! Of course, the basis for this rumor was a line in the Wrestling Observer saying that "a major northeastern location is in the running" and one of the newz sites connecting the dots and figuring "That's gotta be Philly!"

The real mainstream media got a hold of it, and it appears that this may actually be a thing. This is from the local ABC affiliate, 6ABC.

Philadelphia is interested in hosting a future Wrestlemania, WWE tells 6abc.com.

The wrestling world, at least the wrestling city of Philadelphia, was abuzz Thursday with talks that the City of Brotherly Love may be hosting Wrestlemania in the near future.

It appears the initial report came from the website Wrestlechat.net which cites The Wrestling Observer.

The report says that since Wrestlemania 29 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey this past April was successful to the company, WWE is "no longer afraid" to perform their marquee event in an East Coast stadium.

According to the website's sources, "Lincoln Financial Field is currently a top contender being considered" for Wrestlemania 31 in 2015 or Wrestlemania 32 in 2016.

6abc contacted WWE to get an official response on these reports.

Here is their statement:

Philadelphia is one of the many cities that has expressed an interest in hosting a future WrestleMania. An announcement regarding WrestleMania 31 will be made early next year.

So while this is not an official announcement of Wrestlemania returning to Philadelphia, WWE does say the city is interested, which gives area wrestling fans hope.

The last and only time Wrestlemania took place in Philly was in 1999 (Wrestlemania 15) at the First Union Center, now the Wells Fargo Center, when Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock for the WWE Championship (then WWF).

Talks of a Philadelphia Wrestlemania come just days before WWE's Money In The Bank pay per view event takes place at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday.

Now the question remains - will Wrestlemania be the next major WWE event in Philly? Stay tuned.
    Of course, the statement just says we've expressed interest, so this is no reason to get out of hand or crazy or oh who am I kidding BRING ME MY WRESTLEMANIA I WANT TO TAKE A FIVE MINUTE SUBWAY RIDE TO WRESTLEMANIA AND SPEND AN ENTIRE WEEK GIVING WWE ALL OF MY MONEY. DO NOT SCREW ME ON THIS.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Default Re: Wrestlemania in Philadelphia? DID YOU HEAR ME I SAID WRESTLEMANIA IN PHILADELPHIA

If it was in Philly, I would most likely attempt to go if the card was worth it. Six hours away isn't too bad.

Could you imagine Wrestlecon in Philly? Madness.

HAYZE

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Default Re: Wrestlemania in Philadelphia? DID YOU HEAR ME I SAID WRESTLEMANIA IN PHILADELPHIA

I am SO down for this. I just had my first WM experience and now I'm addicted. Going to NOLA next year.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

if that happens.... maybe some ECW guys get inductions into the HoF???
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

I'm going to be at Money in the Bank this Sunday, we gotta make that PPV memorable from a fans stand point of reactions if we want to make them wanna come back for a Mania worth card.

The last PPV that came to Philly was back in 2009 Night of Champions. Starring Cena vs. Orton vs. Triple H part 2, Melina vs Michelle McCool (one of my fav diva matches of all time), and main evented with CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    Tyler Breeze will freeze your feed
    Cena fan for LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by JACKNIFE View Post
    if that happens.... maybe some ECW guys get inductions into the HoF???
    Paul Heyman and Tod Gordon, perhaps?

I'd wait on the Paul Heyman induction until he's no longer active.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'd wait on the Paul Heyman induction until he's no longer active.
    He could be by 2015.

Why? So they can boo the whole show?

The IWC will never be happy unless Daniel Bryan wins both world titles, makes Batista tap out and makes HHH look like a total bitch in the process.
    Consider me a satisfied customer.

Pssh... The important thing is where is the Raw AFTER Wrestlemania.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Pssh... The important thing is where is the Raw AFTER Wrestlemania.
    Wouldn't it be also on Philly? like this years was also in NJ/NY?

Not always, though.

Raw has been located in the same city as the previous day's Wrestlemania for every year since 2003, with the exception of 2007. I think it's safe to say, WWE will put Raw in the same city.

RAW would probably be at the Wells Fargo Center
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    Tyler Breeze will freeze your feed
    Cena fan for LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Why? So they can boo the whole show?

We're overqualified for the post-Mania Raw.

"I like cake."

Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    He could be by 2015.
    Brock is still signed for that Mania, though.

HAYZE

Has Philly or Pennsylvania for that matter ever hosted Wrestlemania before? A Mania there could be great for crowd reactions. Just look at how raucous they were for ECW back in the day. ECW's backyard plus a ton of international fans could make for one hell of an atmosphere.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

They were there for WrestleMania XV, but not since.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    They were there for WrestleMania XV, but not since.
    A legendarily awful Wrestlemania, despite being A MULTIPLE OF FIVE.

"I like cake."

I would assume this potential WM would have a ECW/ROH theme to it. A celebration of the success and contributions of ECW and the actual event putting focus on guys that wrestled in ROH (CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins). I'm sure there are others as you guys can fill me on that considering I don't follow ROH. If this is the intent I would hope Ambrose and Rollins would be at a main event level by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    I would assume this potential WM would have a ECW/ROH theme to it. A celebration of the success and contributions of ECW and the actual event putting focus on guys that wrestled in ROH (CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins). I'm sure there are others as you guys can fill me on that considering I don't follow ROH. If this is the intent I would hope Ambrose and Rollins would be at a main event level by that point.
    I doubt it. If those guys happen to be in the main event picture, so be it, but I don't think it'd be a concerted effort. The hall of fame might have a little bit of ECW in it (although, realistically, I don't know who they'd put in at this point), but I don't think there'd be any specific focus to the show. What Wrestlemania in the past has the location affected that much, other than maybe X-Seven with Austin wrestling in Texas?

"I like cake."

There's no way they dedicate a WrestleMania to ECW. A couple one off PPVs is one thing, their biggest show of the year is quite another.

EDIT: Unless you just meant the Hall of Fame.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I doubt it. If those guys happen to be in the main event picture, so be it, but I don't think it'd be a concerted effort. The hall of fame might have a little bit of ECW in it (although, realistically, I don't know who they'd put in at this point), but I don't think there'd be any specific focus to the show. What Wrestlemania in the past has the location affected that much, other than maybe X-Seven with Austin wrestling in Texas?
    No I don't agree. If WM is in Philly WWE will make an effort to showcase those guys. Out of the four guys I mentioned I would hope WWE would put big effort in pushing Ambrose and Rollins come WM 31 (if it's in Philly).

I'm sure there are others as you guys can fill me on that considering I don't follow ROH.
    Antonio Cesaro and Luke Harper I believe would be the only other guy's you didn't mention.

And I guess maybe Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) or at least I'd hope he would be called up before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I doubt it. If those guys happen to be in the main event picture, so be it, but I don't think it'd be a concerted effort. The hall of fame might have a little bit of ECW in it (although, realistically, I don't know who they'd put in at this point)
    Rob Van Dam and Paul Heyman if they're not still on WWE TV at the time of WM 31 and maybe The Dudley's if their not with TNA.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

No I don't agree. If WM is in Philly WWE will make an effort to showcase those guys. Out of the four guys I mentioned I would hope WWE would put big effort in pushing Ambrose and Rollins come WM 31 (if it's in Philly).
    WrestleMania 29 was in New York and Boston's John Cena was the big winner.

The location means jack shit as far as booking goes.

HAYZE

Thread Information