Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Interview - Tough Enough, WM30 & more

Default Austin Interview - Tough Enough, WM30 & more

Pretty cool Austin interview. His podcast is great btw. Right up there with AOW and MLW podcasts

“Stone Cold” Steve Austin joined Busted Open with Dave Lagreca and Doug Mortman. Here are some highlights from the interview.

If he misses Tough Enough: “Hell, I do miss it. I don’t know why or how WWE and USA network combined dropped the football on that show because it was turning in the numbers it needed to. Everybody loved it. It was great television. I had a chance to get back into the wrestling business. Get my hands back in and mold people to be future WWE superstars or take them through the paces. And they took that all away. That was my first experience into reality television and that’s what made me fall in love with that specific line of work. Once again, why they dropped the ball, I have no idea. But it was a piss poor decision if you ask me.”

If he likes the direction the WWE is taking right now, appearing to be a little more edgier than they have been in the past couple of years: “Well now they’re just starting to turn the corner with some of these new cats they brought in. So they’re picking it up a little bit. I mean there are a lot of guys still walking on eggshells in that territory or in that locker room. I’m actually considering doing another podcast and that’s gonna be breaking down Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown and a little bit of TNA. Just to add to my two show rotation a week. So I’m going to be examining that product a lot more in depth. I kind of gotten away from watching it, to a large degree in recent past. Especially since they jacked it up to a three hour Monday Night Raw. That’s tough to fulfill three hours worth of content and keep it interesting and not stale. So I’m gonna delve into that, take a look at it, and report about it accordingly. I think they are finally heading back in the right direction though to bottom line it.”

How much does Triple H have to do with this direction the company seems to be heading in: “Well I think as long as Vince is around and hopefully he is around for a long time, it’s gonna be his baby cause he’s the one that bought the territory from his dad and made it into what it is, a global phenomenon. Put everyone else out of business with the vision that he had, has taken it through all the different changes that he has. But I know that when I speak about Triple H, I know that he comes from the same school I come from. And he was kind of the last guys to come up in the territory systems. But he digs the work, he digs the serious nature. He’s still knows he’s got to entertain a wide variety of age, you know the demo. And there is something for everybody in the show now. And it was kind of a little bit more adult orientated maybe when I was in there but I think Triple H is gonna bring a serious nature to the business from his presentation or how he views the business still. I think it’s going to be a combination of everybody involved. Because obviously right now, it’s still Vince’s baby and it always will be.”

If he thought that the What? chants would still be around at this point: “You know, no because that’s the funny thing I’ve been gone for 10 or 11 years or whatever it’s been. So that’s a whole generation removed. I mean there are some youngsters that have never seen or heard of Stone Cold. So for that to be still around, for them to still be doing it. It’s a testament to the staying power of one word and I had no idea what I was creating back in the day when I did.”

The What? chants being hurtful now and having no place to be used: “Yeah but you know what, here’s the thing. To anybody delivering a promo in the ring, if you don’t give those pauses in your delivery of your promo speech, whatever business you’re doing. If you don’t give them that spot to put the what in, they cannot. So all they have to do is speed up their cadence a little bit. You ain’t gotta rush through your promo but you can still make your points. Also stagger the pauses so they can’t get into a rhythm. So there is a way around the what. It’s just a lot of people aren’t smart enough to figure it out.”

If we could possibly see Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 30, if he is healthy enough to get back in the ring again: “Oh I’m healthy enough. My knees coming around just fine, it’s better than it’s ever been because I’ve been doing my do diligence on my rehab. I’ve got two new ligaments. Everything else is pain free. I’m still in shape been working out harder than I’ve ever worked out. But here’s the deal. When you’re gonna try to commit to do a Wrestlemania 30, you’re looking really at, at least a two to three month commitment, if not four. So you know you’re talking about, taking everything else of the table. I can still do my podcast but take everything else off the table and focus specifically on that task. To do it the way I would do it, to do it the way Stone Cold Steve Austin would do it, at a 120 percent. Because to go out there and to try to perform at 85-90 percent because you didn’t prep enough. That would be bogus, that would be BS that would be letting the crowd down. And that would be representing the Stone Cold Steve Austin that I know and love to a degree that is not acceptable. So once you throw a legitimate, real deal offer down on the table and say let’s talk, then we’ll talk. But until then, conjecture.”

If he is up to the challenge: “Well if I’m gonna agree to the challenge, accept it and go into it because I want to and the business makes sense, then absolutely.”

If Punk vs Austin would be an all- time great match: “Oh it definitely could. It brings a lot to the table from a verbal standpoint with his well thought out promos, the way in which he conducts his business. I like his product in the ring. I like to see him turn it up more in the mainstream. I like to see a little more physicality, laying in stuff a little more. I like to see him be a little bit more aggressive. That’s just off the top of my head. Other than that, I like everything about the cat.”

How big it would be if he wrestled at WM 30: “Well I’m not going to put the cart in front of the horse. I’m not lobbying for a match. If the starts lined up, then it would happen, but it’s going to take a lot for those stars to line up. No sense in beating a dead horse. To think about it is one thing, to actually go out, come to terms and go through the business prep and actually accomplish a match, it’s a whole different ballgame and a major process.”

ďI am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.Ē

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

Default Re: Austin Interview - Tough Enough, WM30 & more

Once again, Austin's all talk. Move along.
    It's showtime, folks!

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Pretty much.

I'll believe it if and when I see it. I'm tired of speculating on this.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Well, the sheets have to have something to put out there to get interest. If he does it, I'll be first to buy the PPV. If not, I won't be surprised one bit. At this point, he really doesn't have a ton to gain from risking injury. He's got his TV thing, his podcasting, whatever. But if he's gonna do it,this may be his last chance. That body is only gonna break down more as time passes.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

Banned

Austin/ Punk at Mania XXX would be great. I'm not dismissing him just yet. This is the big one coming up so if he is to return, I'd guess it's at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Repperton View Post
    Austin/ Punk at Mania XXX would be great. I'm not dismissing him just yet. This is the big one coming up so if he is to return, I'd guess it's at this one.
    The number 30 is not going to be the tipping point in what makes him come back. They're still going to have to throw a huge deal on the table and he has to decide he's willing to put forth the effort. That decision is not going to be based on a number.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    The number 30 is not going to be the tipping point in what makes him come back. They're still going to have to throw a huge deal on the table and he has to decide he's willing to put forth the effort. That decision is not going to be based on a number.
    It's a huge deal for any long retired guy to come back and of course there's gotta be a big deal on the table but Austin wouldn't get offered anything but a big deal. It's fucking Stone Cold.

To try and make Mania 30 just another Wrestlemania with a number is asinine. Biggest check usually attached to the biggest card. This one will be massive.

WWE's biggest show should have its biggest main event possible and that's either going to be Cena Vs. Undertaker or Austin Vs. Punk. Ironically, we probably won't get either.
    It's showtime, folks!

It's a huge deal for any long retired guy to come back and of course there's gotta be a big deal on the table but Austin wouldn't get offered anything but a big deal. It's fucking Stone Cold.

To try and make Mania 30 just another Wrestlemania with a number is asinine. Biggest check usually attached to the biggest card. This one will be massive.
    It is just another WrestleMania with a number. You don't know that the card will be bigger than this year's; in fact, based on what's been rumored, it looks like it won't be.

People have these ridiculous expectations for it because it's a multiple of ten. What people don't realize is that being a multiple of ten does not guarantee one of the best WrestleManias ever.

Bender

Screw Wrestlemania 30, I found this to be the most interesting excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
    The What? chants being hurtful now and having no place to be used: ďYeah but you know what, hereís the thing. To anybody delivering a promo in the ring, if you donít give those pauses in your delivery of your promo speech, whatever business youíre doing. If you donít give them that spot to put the what in, they cannot. So all they have to do is speed up their cadence a little bit. You ainít gotta rush through your promo but you can still make your points. Also stagger the pauses so they canít get into a rhythm. So there is a way around the what. Itís just a lot of people arenít smart enough to figure it out.Ē
    I've been thinking about this during Mark Henry promos. He blatantly pauses after every sentence or half-sentence just so the crowd can get their 'WHAT?' in. Of course, I'm sure Mark Henry does this intentionally, but it is a pretty strange way of talking. Nobody pauses for more than half a second after finishing a sentence

Banned

It is just another WrestleMania with a number. You don't know that the card will be bigger than this year's; in fact, based on what's been rumored, it looks like it won't be.

People have these ridiculous expectations for it because it's a multiple of ten. What people don't realize is that being a multiple of ten does not guarantee one of the best WrestleManias ever.
    It's just another Mania to you for whatever reason WWE cut you deep in the past but they like multiples of ten and 5s! Oh do they love the 5. So stop being a sad panda about what you read on wrestlingrumors.net and have a little hope in your life. No matter how much you hope it's lackluster, Mania won't be shot in !mpact Zone. It will be fine little buddy. Cheer up.

It's just another Mania to you for whatever reason WWE cut you deep in the past but they like multiples of ten and 5s! Oh do they love the 5. So stop being a sad panda about what you read on wrestlingrumors.net and have a little hope in your life. No matter how much you hope it's lackluster, Mania won't be shot in !mpact Zone. It will be fine little buddy. Cheer up.
    What the fuck? Did I say it would be bad? I said it's not going to be amazing BECAUSE it's a multiple of ten.

Did you miss WrestleMania 25? Because that was no extraordinary WrestleMania, and 25 is a far bigger number than 30.

Bender

Vince can definitely afford to bring Stone Cold back. They just have to figure out a good storyline for him to feud with CM Punk over. And if they give Austin and Punk creative control over the feud, then we might just see Stone Cold make his long awaited return.

Of course he can afford it, he's a billionaire (or a multi-millionaire). The question is, number one, how much he's willing to give him, and number two, whether Austin feels it's enough to go through all the effort of coming back (which he said himself in this interview).

Bender

whether Austin feels it's enough to go through all the effort of coming back (which he said himself in this interview).
    We don't know if Austin was referring to only money though. He will never need the money that Vince is willing to pay him. There are probably a few things in Austins private life that have a higher priority to him than wrestling.

Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying that he'd only seriously consider it if he was thrown a TON of money.

Bender

I have to ask, since this subject was brought up again. Does anybody think that Austins knee surgery is a coincidence? If it was in such bad shape, you'd think he would've had it fixed a long time ago.

The thought did enter my head when I heard about that, that maybe he was considering the Mania match. Especially since it was right around the time that Punk turned heel, and Austin said repeatedly that he would prefer for Punk to be a heel if their match ever did happen.

Now, though, I think it was probably a coincidence.

Bender

You're not gonna get me this time, Austin. I started dreaming about Punk/Lesnar and that match is actually going to happen.

Austin/Punk is the new Sting/Undertaker. It's never gonna happen despite year after year of rumors that this is the year it's happening.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Banned

Aside from WM30, I found the other content more interesting. Especially the Tough Enough part. That was really fun to watch and I know Austin had a great time and did a great job. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back for another season of that.

I think that if Taker isn't in good enough shape for 30, than Vince might be willing to fork over the cash to bring Austin in as that years veteran on the card. But if Taker can go than they might wait on Punk v Austin for a year or two when Taker finally calls it quits. I'm definitely not counting out the chance of an Austin v Punk match, I'm just not saying it has to happen at 30. If Austin truly is in great shape than they could hold it off for a few years still.

I don't ever see Taker and Austin wrestling each other again. Ever.

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in a Punk/Austin match. I don't think CM Punk is the Austin of this generation due to a couple of worked shoots. Plus we do not need Straight Edge vs Beer Drinker, that is a rehash of most CM Punk angles in 2009 and 2010. Punk should just be the 4th or 5th match of mania in the match for the WWE Championship. Sorry I do not respect the tradition of having the title match go last if there are bigger matches on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah89 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have no interest in a Punk/Austin match. I don't think CM Punk is the Austin of this generation due to a couple of worked shoots. Plus we do not need Straight Edge vs Beer Drinker, that is a rehash of most CM Punk angles in 2009 and 2010. Punk should just be the 4th or 5th match of mania in the match for the WWE Championship. Sorry I do not respect the tradition of having the title match go last if there are bigger matches on the card.
    Do you really think Stone Cold would agree to come back if the only idea they had for a feud was "beer drinker vs straight edge guy"?

Did you miss WrestleMania 25? Because that was no extraordinary WrestleMania, and 25 is a far bigger number than 30.
    Wrestlemania 25 was a less-than-stellar show when compared to Wrestlemanias that are multiples of ten not despite it being the 25th, but because of it. While it's true that the number of the respective Wrestlemania won't dictate it's eventual quality, it is a factor, and you're downplaying it's relevance here. If you honestly think that the number 25 is a more psychologically satisfactory number than any multiple of the number ten, you're severely mistaken. Further, it being a more psychologically pleasing number lends itself to more attention from the fanbase, as well as higher expectations from said fanbase. Fulfilling those expectations counts for a great show, and ultimately results in greater intake of dough for the company. The collective consciousness is swayed more by the number 30 than you care to admit to.

Thread Information