Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Morgan done with TNA?

Default Matt Morgan done with TNA?

Source: Prowrestling.net

Matt Morgan's six-year tenure with TNA Wrestling has come to an end as he was granted his release from the organization on Tuesday. He requested his release from the company one month ago, which was well known among his colleagues.

Morgan was excluded from the annual Bound for Glory Series and had only appeared on television once in the last month—losing a Four-way Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match to Magnus on the June 13 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling.

On the April 25 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling, Morgan confronted Hulk Hogan and offered his services to take out the Aces and Eights, in exchange for being named the number one contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary. After having his request denied, Morgan faced Sting the following week in a Number One Contender's Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, which Sting won after locking Morgan in the Scorpion Deathlock. Morgan subsequently disappeared from television before returning for the Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match.

Despite repeated vows to capture the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, Morgan's plan ultimately did not come to fruition. His lone runs with gold were two TNA World Tag Team Championship reigns. He stated in an interview last year of his desire to become World Champion, "Winning the Tag Team Championship is ultra-important and anyone who has those titles should have a lot of pride in wearing them. But at the same time, I got into the pro-wrestling for one reason and that's to be the top dog and to be the World Champion. I know it sounds like a saying or a catch-phrase but this is what I truly believe. I came out of my mom's womb a future world's champion. And I'm sick of waiting."

More as we get it.
    I wonder if he took Hulk Hogan's cape with him?

Even though I didn't like Matt Morgan... he was sort of wasted in TNA. Seriously, I think he spent a majority of his run at home growing out his ugly beard.

Franchise&GCBRollinITBack Franchise's Avatar

Default Re: Matt Morgan done with TNA?

I thought they were going to run with him as the World Champion the night Ken Anderson ended up getting the belt.

I can see Morgan going off to work in Japan now, however he definately leaves TNA a much bigger star than when he joined from the 'E.

His beard was better than Daniel Bryans. I actually enjoyed Matt Morgan and thought he made some improvements over his time at TNA.

I think he requested his release so he can dedicate more time to one of the following

A) Growing his beard
    B) Being a dick
    C) Fulfilling his quest to get an uglier back tattoo than Icarus
    D) Trolling Smarks
    E) All of the Above
    Bow before Da Look. Resistance is Futile.

You're talking to god! CarlitoCool9111's Avatar

No loss.
    Austin Aries> CM Punk

I really felt Morgan had star potential. He's A LOT better off from when he began in the company. He really had the look of someone who could be a main event player for quite a few years, IMO.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

You're talking to god! CarlitoCool9111's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coolstuff View Post
    I really felt Morgan had star potential. He's A LOT better off from when he began in the company. He really had the look of someone who could be a main event player for quite a few years, IMO.
    One word, Japan.
    Austin Aries> CM Punk

Hopefully not going back to wwe unless he does his lisp gimmick again that shit was terrible but would be funny to see one more time could be good for a feud with ryback have ryback bully him for his lisp and then finally have a win on ppv and make him a better heel in the process

Not surprised they haven't really done much with him lately. If only TNA had a single's title they gave to people who they wanted to test as a champion to see how people respond to them. One that didn't have a gender or weight restriction.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

And my reaction was......meh.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

He had been set up so many times to win the title that they ultimately flopped on, it really is their fault they never cashed in the times he was hot.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

As a fan of Matt Morgan this kinda sucks but at the same time I'm not really surprised about this news... maybe he'll return to NJPW for a while or something.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Honestly I never saw anything in him.

Even from his stuttering WWE days as Carlito's lackey, he just didn't do anything for me.

I know there were rumors of him going to WWE a few months ago but he's too old for WWE, and WWE have plenty of more talented big guys on the roster and in developmental -- a couple of which just debuted last night on RAW.

Go to Japan, let him have a run there.

As a person, Morgan is a dick.

That aside, as a talent he has quite a lot of potential IMO. He's average in the ring but most guys his size are way below-average. He's a good talker, too. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he ended up back at WWE.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

They dropped the ball on him big time. He's improved a ton. I imagine he'll get some good gigs in Japan and on the indies for a while. I wonder if the 'E will come knocking.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Aside from Daniels, I was most eager to see Matt Morgan elevated to the main event. He did well with everything he was given to do. Him being his own partner was my favorite thing that he's done. It wasn't all of his fault that he underachieved in TNA. He was a decent wrestler for his size, he had personality, and most fans liked him. He got chances in TNA, they didn't go as far with him as they could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    He had been set up so many times to win the title that they ultimately flopped on, it really is their fault they never cashed in the times he was hot.
    Yup he lost his momentum and never get a back.

Guys, I was thinking about this, and there's something that I've wanted to say for a while.

I don't think Matt Morgan is all that good. He cuts a decent promo and has athleticism for a guy his size. Grading on the big man curve, that makes Matt Morgan outstanding, right?

Maybe not. Think about how many different writers and bookers attempted to do something with Morgan that never panned out.

Jim Cornette in OVW. WWE Creative. Dutch Mantell. Vince Russo. Dave Lagana. All pushed Morgan in some capacity towards the top of the company (except for WWE, strangely), and...he never caught on.

After so many different minds trying to do something with you, maybe it's because the talent really isn't that good. Granted, Matt Morgan can go be a gaijin Monster God in Japan, but I would be surprised if WWE brings him in again. I'd say he has a looong shot as a "Paul Heyman Guy", but not much else.
    Spoiler

There were at least 3 separate occasions during Matt Morgan's TNA run where he really started to get the ball rolling(Especially during his Venom phase)... And what did TNA do? Nothing. They just let that boat sail away. Just like with Hernandez... Although, to be fair, his boat sank almost immediately after it set out to sea...

There are plenty of tall guys that are better than Morgan so like I said before meh.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    There are plenty of tall guys that are better than Morgan so like I said before meh.
    That begs the question: Who are these tall guys and why aren't they in TNA?

He would be a good fit in WWE now. He has gotten a lot better compared to how he was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    That begs the question: Who are these tall guys and why aren't they in TNA?
    Well most of them are either in the main roster of the WWE or in their developmental one, or their Marco Corleone and are main eventer in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    Well most of them are either in the main roster of the WWE or in their developmental one, or their Marco Corleone and are main eventer in Mexico.
    So what you're saying is: Matt Morgan is the best TNA could currently do... Perfect... Maybe they should send out a search team to find Lance Hoyt?

Banned

Won't be too long before we see the Brogue Kick vs the Carbon Footprint

Thread Information