Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Manik?

  1. #1
    Banned merle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The mitten
    Posts
    5,926

    Default Manik?

    So Suicide is now named Manik. Can someone explain this? Why was Suicide brought back? Why was he renamed? Why was his identity unveiled, just to remask him? Why does Hulk Hogan have the authority to rename him, anyway? I am completely confused over this whole thing.

  2. #2
    PW Poster Since 2003 Lony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    28
    Posts
    19,244

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by merle View Post
    So Suicide is now named Manik. Can someone explain this? Why was Suicide brought back? Why was he renamed?
    I've no idea why they brought back the Suicide character (maybe they wanted a masked wrestler), as for the name change I can only assume it's because a bunch of soccer moms decided to bitch about the name... actually I'm probably wrong but it's what I'm going with

    Why was his identity unveiled, just to remask him?
    Again, I have no idea but I thought it was freaking stupid to remask him. I personally would have just let him wrestle under his TJ Perkins name (his real name) after they showed who Suicide was or just brought him back into TNA under the Puma name he's used in TNA in the past and at least that way they still would of had a masked wrestler.

    Why does Hulk Hogan have the authority to rename him, anyway? I am completely confused over this whole thing.
    Because Hogan's the General Manager.


    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

  3. #3
    Senior Member LS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,687

    Default Re: Manik?

    I thought that they should have just let him wrestle without a mask and under the TJ Perkins nae...or gave him a new outfit/mask to go with the Manik name.

    surrender

  4. #4
    Franchise&GCBRollinITBack Franchise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scotland.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Manik?

    Suicide was a character that was fully owned and licensed by Midway. Therefore it makes sense that they rename him Manik. Therefore TNA can gain on his image rights rather than have it forfeited on to whoever owns Midway. Simples.

  5. #5
    Banned merle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The mitten
    Posts
    5,926

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    Suicide was a character that was fully owned and licensed by Midway. Therefore it makes sense that they rename him Manik. Therefore TNA can gain on his image rights rather than have it forfeited on to whoever owns Midway. Simples.
    What? Not simples. I get that Midway went out of business but couldn't TNA just have copyrighted the name Suicide in the first place? Even so, why bring back the character? He was gone and forgotten. What was the point in bringing him back and then renaming him?

  6. #6
    I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E <3 Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    192.168.1.100
    Posts
    12,871

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by merle View Post
    What? Not simples. I get that Midway went out of business but couldn't TNA just have copyrighted the name Suicide in the first place? Even so, why bring back the character? He was gone and forgotten. What was the point in bringing him back and then renaming him?
    Because the image and likeness are made for action figures that TNA could make money on. Changing the name removes the middleman of what was Midway. Simples.

    The term "suicide" would be EXTREMELY hard to copyright.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

    I'm a follower.

    This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

  7. #7
    Has a Nice Earring Falcone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,862

    Default Re: Manik?

    Sorry, but when I hear this name, for some reason all I can think of is...

    Did you know Manik is Kinam spelled backwards?
    Last edited by Falcone; 07-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    baboosh

  8. #8
    Moreoff than on
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stuck inside my head
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,593

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Sorry, but when I hear this name, for some reason all I can think of is...

    Did you know Manik is Kanim spelled backwards?
    It isn't..

    However, racecar spelled backwards is racecar.

  9. #9
    Has a Nice Earring Falcone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,862

    Default Re: Manik?

    Corrected. Ain't my fault I'm bad at maths.
    baboosh

  10. #10
    The Conquerer Slushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,868

    Default Re: Manik?

    I don't mind the name change. Not a good idea to market somebody named Suicide and given Hogan's personal demons, of course he would be against it.
    It's showtime, folks!

  11. #11
    The Guiding Light X-zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Manik?

    TNA probably wants a masked wrestler that the kids can get behind and Suicide isn't a family friendly name. In short, they want their own Rey Mysterio.


    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Badstreet, Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    TNA probably wants a masked wrestler that the kids can get behind and Suicide isn't a family friendly name. In short, they want their own Rey Mysterio.
    So why couldn't that have been TJ Perkins under his Puma character? I mean all of Perkins's TNA appearances before being Suicide/Manik had been as Puma. TNA just seems not to want TJ Perkins unmasked.

  13. #13
    3-2 Bender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    OH-IO!
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,730

    Default Re: Manik?

    Manik is Kinam backwards...


    Remember when people stayed On-Topic? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

  14. #14
    Senior Member MKPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    917

    Default Re: Manik?

    They couldn't just give him his Puma mask again? Puma is at least somewhat known.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Badstreet, Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Manik?



    Suicide action figure. Note: the world Suicide does not appear on the toy. In fact the name of the toy appears as the M chest logo. In other words, Manik as Suicide is known as now. TNA knew from the beginning that they couldn't make a Suicide action figure without kid friendly adjustments. So I wonder why they called the character Suicide to begin with. On the same hand, kids watch TNA and may or may not have played the video game, so they know the character was known as Suicide, so why was the action figure costume edited? Then again, why am I bringing this up and why would TNA (possibly) be worried about it so much as to rename the character Manik?
    Last edited by Mister Majik; 07-09-2013 at 01:07 AM.

  16. #16
    The Guiding Light X-zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Manik?

    After they demasked him they couldn't just have TJ disappear. And having him come back under another mask will make it seem like TNA hides their lack of roster under mask characters.


    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

  17. #17
    We are lightning. Havokwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Nerdery
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,045

    Default Re: Manik?

    Puma is Amup backwards.

    ~Credit to Bender for the awesome sig

  18. #18
    Senior Member BARCELONA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,064

    Default Re: Manik?

    Suicide was a stupid name to begin with and I cringed every time I heard it, so I don't blame them for changing it...

    But why Hogan revealed TJ Perkins to be Suicide and then one week later claimed he was a "mystery man" I don't know... it's like everybody forgot. Or TNA is just really bad at booking anything coherent. Yeah, it's that one.

    Manik is pretty lame (reminds me of Rellik... another brilliant TNA creation) but better than Suicide.

    "I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

  19. #19
    Senior Member MKPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    917

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONA View Post
    Suicide was a stupid name to begin with and I cringed every time I heard it, so I don't blame them for changing it...

    But why Hogan revealed TJ Perkins to be Suicide and then one week later claimed he was a "mystery man" I don't know... it's like everybody forgot. Or TNA is just really bad at booking anything coherent. Yeah, it's that one.

    Manik is pretty lame (reminds me of Rellik... another brilliant TNA creation) but better than Suicide.
    Funnily enough, Stambolli got the idea from being a fake Great Muta in All Japan. He originally went by Redrum (murder spelt backwards) on the indies before debuting in TNA as Rellik. That name is at least cool. Manik being the Suicide action figure seems forced and rushed. I mean they just had the same outfit without the suicide text on it. And I never thought the symbol was an M, I thought it was just say tribal.

  20. #20
    Senior Member BARCELONA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,064

    Default Re: Manik?

    the whole character is just lame. Perkins should have just wrestled unmasked as himself.

    "I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

  21. #21
    PW Poster Since 2003 Lony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    28
    Posts
    19,244

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    After they demasked him they couldn't just have TJ disappear. And having him come back under another mask will make it seem like TNA hides their lack of roster under mask characters.
    They should have just kept him as TJ Perkins after unmasking him and just brought in Rubix if they really needed a masked wrestler in the X-Division... I mean it's not like he's working for Chikara now anyway's.


    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

  22. #22
    Senior Member MKPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    917

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    They should have just kept him as TJ Perkins after unmasking him and just brought in Rubix if they really needed a masked wrestler in the X-Division... I mean it's not like he's working for Chikara now anyway's.
    I don't know why TNA doesn't just bring in most of the CHIKARA guys who are not under deals to DGUSA to fill up the X-Division, Hallowicked can be an evil masked wrestler, The Shard could be used in someway, Frightmare is nuts and could take Red's spot, Icarus, assailANT and so on. There are a ot of good polished X talent waiting to be brought in, TNA just needs to do it now while building up to the Destination-X special.

  23. #23
    You're talking to god! CarlitoCool9111's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    A house
    Posts
    1,019

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Sorry, but when I hear this name, for some reason all I can think of is...

    Did you know Manik is Kinam spelled backwards?
    Austin Aries> CM Punk

  24. #24
    Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4,060

    Default Re: Manik?

    I think the whole Suicide/Manik situation is pretty fucking cringe worthy.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

  25. #25
    Senior Member BARCELONA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,064

    Default Re: Manik?

    Quote Originally Posted by BestInThe205 View Post
    I think the whole Suicide/Manik situation is pretty fucking cringe worthy.
    Perfect for TNA then!

    "I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •