Thread: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Wrestling Pet Peeves

The premise of this thread is simple enough. What things always get on your nerves when you see it in a pro-wrestling environment?

I'll start.

-----

Are you scared?!
    We've all seen this type of promo a million times. The face wants something, the heel refuses, so the face plays the coward card. He says something crude like, "well, if you're scared, then that's too bad", and the heel instantly caves in. It annoys me because it's so juvenile, cartoony and predictable.

The Knockout Punch
    This one is directed at Big Show's newest finisher, although I'm sure there are other wrestlers who have used a punch for a finisher as well.

Big Show's Knockout Punch annoys me for several reasons. First, he has the best chokeslam in the business, and several other awesome moves he can use as a finisher. Why limit yourself to a punch? Second, I might be able to forgive it if the punch actually looked good, but it doesn't. Whenever he uses it, he lazily sticks his fist out. There's no force behind it. Third, the concept of a punch that knocks everyone out instantly is asinine.

"He just knocked him inside out!"
    No he didn't, Michael Cole. He was clotheslined so hard that he rotated more than usual. Yes, this one is very pedantic, but it grinds my gears.

Dropdowns and Leapfrogs
    Every wrestler does it. Their opponent runs to the ropes, so the most natural thing to do is slide on the floor face down in front of his running opponent. I know professional wrestling isn't meant to mimic real fights, but even in wrestling this is idiotic. You're just asking to be ran over, or worse.

Same story with the leapfrog. It's even worse than the dropdown. If you jump and spread your legs out in front of a charging opponent, you're going to get headbutted in your nether regions. Or if you're facing Daniel Bryan, kicked in the face. It's amazing how few wrestlers take advantage of their opponents giving them a free shot at least once a match.

I'm not entirely sure what these manuevres are meant to accomplish. The leapfrog seems to be a purely evasive maneuver. There are much better ways to dodge someone running straight at you. The dropdown, to my understanding, is an attempt to trip the opponent up. A very stupid attempt, but at least it can be justified offensively.

Dropkick Inconsistency
    A wrestler connects with a dropkick, kicking his opponent in the face but also crashing to the mat. The wrestler quickly springs to his feet unscathed. But if his opponent were to evade the dropkick, it's suddenly a game-changer, the dropkicker is dead, even though he took the exact same fall as he would if he connected. Ugh.

- No longer a pet peeve. Resolved by Baker223.

The Deadly Crowd Barrier
    I see this one all the time. Wrestler A throws wrestler B out of the ring. Wrestler B lands nowhere near the barrier, yet does an inplausible backpedal or tumble in order to slam into the barrier for added effect!!

"He should have hooked the leg!"
    Stop it, Michael Cole. Lance Storm wrote an entire article about this one, so at least I'm not alone in this petty hate. A similar commentator cliché that gets on my tits is, "If he had made the cover a second earlier, he would have won the match!" Fuck off.

Multiple Fall Matches
    Don't get me wrong, I love a good 2-out-of-3 falls match, or an elimination match, but sometimes the psychology in these matches is silly. To put it in videogame terms, participating in a multi-fall match reduces one's endurance stat by 50%, as wrestlers get pinned unusually easily in these matches. At least until the decisive fall, where normal endurance is restored.

Over-the-top moves
    There are many of these out there. I'll name a few examples. Sin Cara's armdrag. Fuck that move. Why would you go to all that trouble to perform an armdrag? Undertaker's old school, as cool as it is, is similarly ridiculous. However, the worst offender I have seen is Rob Van Dam (sorry, Shinobi). RVD is very fortunate Benoit was gracious enough to walk over halfway across the ring to get hit by his opponent's stupidly elaborate crossbody, as RVD certainly wasn't checking to see where Benoit was.

Chain wrestling~!
    I don't mind a bit of chain wrestling, but when a wrestling match starts with side headlock takedown, headscissors, kip-up, swap places and repeat, stand-off, applause (Japan only), I punch my screen. And since 90% of wrestling matches start like this, I've had to buy a lot of monitors. This sequence, and others like it, don't serve any other purpose than to show off. This is taken to the extreme in Japan, where junior heavyweights are constantly trying to break the world record for the fastest iteration of the sequence I just described.

Either give some purpose to the mat-wrestling, or skip to the punches and kicks. You're welcome.

-----

I have a few more pet peeves, which can all be explained away by the fact that WWE is geared towards kids these days, but I'll save those for a later post.

Feel free to give your own or to discuss/criticise any that have been shared.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

DEAR GOD YES.

I'm glad somebody else is annoyed by this shit.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish whips especially, but also most times anyone runs the ropes. Very rarely does it actually come off as being organic and sensical (is that a word?) in a match... at least to me.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Dropkick Inconsistency
    A wrestler connects with a dropkick, kicking his opponent in the face but also crashing to the mat. The wrestler quickly springs to his feet unscathed. But if his opponent were to evade the dropkick, it's suddenly a game-changer, the dropkicker is dead, even though he took the exact same fall as he would if he connected. Ugh.
    Bill Watts once explained this away on commentary using wrestling logic. It was tremendous.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pet peeves I have nowadays is when wrestlers take the turnbuckle weakly. Also the inconsistency of selling. Hardly any wrestlers sell the entire match. Just the other Raw a wrestler was getting worked then out of the blue countered and was suddenly fine afterwards. I'm just looking for them to continue there sell jobs throughout the match.

Another peeve is when the announcers say something like "He cant continue the match, the ref needs to stop the match"

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker223 View Post
    Bill Watts once explained this away on commentary using wrestling logic. It was tremendous.
    I don't suppose you remember the match? I'd be interested in hearing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    Some pet peeves I have nowadays is when wrestlers take the turnbuckle weakly. Also the inconsistency of selling. Hardly any wrestlers sell the entire match. Just the other Raw a wrestler was getting worked then out of the blue countered and was suddenly fine afterwards. I'm just looking for them to continue there sell jobs throughout the match.
    Poor long-term selling is another pet peeve of mine and something that happens far too often.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Referees lacking common sense bugs the shit out of me.

Heel gets in the refs face distracting them, heels buddy attacks face behind refs back. Heel goes and covers face and the ref doesn't even stop to think how the face got knocked down.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't suppose you remember the match? I'd be interested in hearing that.
    Unfortunately I don't. But this write up comes from a Kayfabe Memories poster paraphrasing Watts' explanation.....

Here's a good one: "Why does it hurt when you miss a dropkick, but not when you hit one?"

See, longtime Mid-South fans know this one, thanks again to the Cowboy. You see, when a wrestler throws a dropkick, he is hurling his body counting on hitting his opponent, which will cause him to spring off and land a certain way. When he misses, it screws up his trajectory, and he can land badly.
    It makes sense to me.

Mr. Perfect

Perhaps not a pet peeve, but one I do find funny is the headbutt. Why is it that "big" men can give a headbutt that does not hurt them, but only their opponent. And on that same note, kind of old school, but why in wrestling does every Somoan have a thick skull?

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    And on that same note, kind of old school, but why in wrestling does every Somoan have a thick skull?
    Samoans actually do have thicker skulls. It comes from how they used to settle disputes, so it is partial gimmick but mostly a true fact.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When there is a pin that could actually be a conceivable finish and the commentators yell 'THAT IT'S! HE'S GOT HIM!' or something to that effect and you know he's going to kick out.

And when a wrestler is coming to the ring and the commentator says something like, 'I don't think wrestler A can win tonight' and he usually always ends up winning. It ruins the unpredictabilty.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker223 View Post
    It makes sense to me.
    And me. Consider dropkick inconsistency removed from pet peeve status.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    When there is a pin that could actually be a conceivable finish and the commentators yell 'THAT IT'S! HE'S GOT HIM!' or something to that effect and you know he's going to kick out.
    These days the announcers yell that before every single near fall, which removes the effect of spoiling a genuine false finish but is in fact even more annoying because most of the time they say that shit after moves that have never kept someone down for a 3-count.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long sequences of near fall/counter/near falls. Admittedly, on the rare occasion that this is done well it looks damn good and can get the crowd really excited, but fuck me does this look like shit when it's done poorly (which seems to be most of the time).

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Knockout Punch
    This one is directed at Big Show's newest finisher, although I'm sure there are other wrestlers who have used a punch for a finisher as well.
    On this note what really fucks me off is the amount of fucking times Big Show could hit that punch but opts to do a head butt, bodyslam ect, I get not going for an RKO (turning your back on your opponent, the panic of your opponent seeing the move about to happen livening him up, other bullshit reasons that wrestlers don't attempt finishers mid match) ect, I can excuse it even if its badly excused but Big Show will have multiple....multiple opportunities where any other guy can hit a punch but he opts to do something less impactful, it doesn't make sense.

And don't give me that he needs to gear up for it because he has hit that on opponents running at him ect for the same impact. Alot of people shitted on Triple H and Randy Orton hitting their finishers within 5 minutes of the match at Mania 25, I personally have been waiting for that to happen for the last 10 odd years, the first thing I'd fucking do is try to hit my finisher at the very first opportunity I had to do so.

Credit to *Tripsi*

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree completely, Peepshow. That's another great point against the Knockout Punch I forgot to mention. Wrestlers punch each other all the time, yet Big Show can only do it when the situation calls for a finisher. The World's Strongest Slam is another such finisher as you often see Mark Henry utilising a regular body slam when he could easily hit his finisher from almost the exact setup. Ditto with Ziggler's Sleeper Hold, although it isn't a finisher of his anymore.

A related pet peeve of mine is the fact that a heel tag team never goes for a finisher when they are beating down a face. They just hit mid-power moves and use rest holds, and wonder why they can't keep the guy down. The face is at the mercy of you and your partner, he's as weak as he'll ever be, go for your damn finisher!

WWE Network Draft Winner The Champ's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of these things don't bother me because wrestling kind of requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

If many of these things didn't happen, it might be a lot more boring.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main thing that bothers me these days is the "missed spinning clothesline to Cena, Cena does the spinning powerbomb" sequence that happens in every John Cena match. I don't mind that Cena does the other "moves of doom" like the five knuckle shuffle and the shoulder tackles...everyone has signature moves. But that sequence into the spinning powerbomb that he's been doing for 10 years kills me.

No one ever goes for that wild spinning clothesline UNLESS it's after Cena's shoulder tackles/before his powerbomb. It makes no sense why anyone would attempt that... Aside from matches against Cena, I've never seen anyone go for a clothesline like that where they spin their body around and then end up facing AWAY from the opponent.

Clev-Finest

I really get annoyed by the fact that wins and losses mean nothing, also the fact that finishers account for most match finishes. What do signature moves/general moves mean if they don't finish a match ONCE in a while?

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when Eddie got pinned with the Spinebuster from Batista (fucking love this match btw)... seemed so bizarre.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardcore matches. In a normal match one weapon hit will usually end a match. In hardcore matches your endurance automatically increases were normal finishers don't work and one weapon hit won't end a match.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

A touch of Destiny AgentRodimal's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heel stables who keep winning and winning for months straight when its way past time they should have lost. The S.H.I.E.L.D. being the most recent. Yeah, they finally lost as a team.....three months after they should have however imo. Hell, Heels in general that do this. Its no fun if you don't let the good guys win sometimes!

Random face/heel turns with no builds.

But my biggest pet peeve of all is the stupid '(insert big name) will be returning in (so many weeks or days) so instead of lettiing it be a shocker, we gotta promote the fuck out of it until nobody cares to sell more tickets' crap. Whatever happed to the Surprise return. Hell some of the best moments in wrestling history happed because of a surprise return.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a fan of heels, it always annoyed me when a long time face would turn heel, and immediately be incapable of winning clean anymore. A month before, Superman. Now he can't beat midcarders without shenanigans. I don't mind a chair shot, because you're an evil motherfucker. I like that. But your fellow evil buddy running in because you're about to lose to some jabroni who wasn't in your league when you were a goody-goody, I do not go for.

TempestH

WWE is guilty of this a lot: wrestlers wearing their ring gear when they're not booked to have an actual match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TempestH View Post
    WWE is guilty of this a lot: wrestlers wearing their ring gear when they're not booked to have an actual match.
    Hey man, who doesn't love just hanging out in their underwear all the time?

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that really bothers me is when wrestlers go off the top rope into someone else's finisher when the attacker CLEARLY was just jumping off the top rope.

The end to HBK-Benjamin in 05 reminds me of this. What the hell was Benjamin trying to do?

There are countless other matches where the attacker literally just jumps off the top turnbuckle making no attempt to do a move and gets superkicked/RKO'd/whatever.

If I remember correctly, during the Carlito/Orton match, Carlito literally just dove face first into the RKO.
    HAYZE

Thread Information