Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Ghitzo

Default Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Not really a pet peeve, but I always thought it was funny how moves get weaker with time. Jake Robert's ddt would knock someone out for several minutes, but now a ddt is weaker than an armdrag. Randy Savage's elbow must have been pointier than any wrestler alive today. And Brutus Beefcake must have applied pressure with his sleeper that no one can duplicate anymore.

WWE Network Draft Winner The Champ's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghitzo View Post
    Not really a pet peeve, but I always thought it was funny how moves get weaker with time. Jake Robert's ddt would knock someone out for several minutes, but now a ddt is weaker than an armdrag. Randy Savage's elbow must have been pointier than any wrestler alive today. And Brutus Beefcake must have applied pressure with his sleeper that no one can duplicate anymore.
    I think the idea is that, if a guy uses a particular move as a finisher, it means he executes it better than anyone else.

Obviously not every move can be a finisher all the time or else it would be impossible to have a ten minute match.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrestlemania season in general. Every camera shot is a forced attempt to get the Wrestlemania sign in frame. Every single goddamn talent that wins a match or ends a segment points at the sign.

"WILL THIS SUPERSTAR CREATE A WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT?" "WRESTLEMANIA! DEFINITELY MUCH MORE THAN JUST A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING EVENT. IT IS THE GOD AND END ALL BE ALL OF ALL THINGS IN THE WORLD OF POP CULTURE!!!"

And anytime Michael Cole says the word Wrestlemania it grates on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate how I am supposed to believe that hooking the leg is going to make a difference. A pin is broken when you get a shoulder up, what does a hooked leg have to do with that?

I also hate when someone is getting pinned, and the guy pinning them traps one arm and leaves the other arm free, but the wrestler getting pinned decides to kick out using his trapped arm, instead of his free arm.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Wrestlemania season in general. Every camera shot is a forced attempt to get the Wrestlemania sign in frame. Every single goddamn talent that wins a match or ends a segment points at the sign.

"WILL THIS SUPERSTAR CREATE A WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT?" "WRESTLEMANIA! DEFINITELY MUCH MORE THAN JUST A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING EVENT. IT IS THE GOD AND END ALL BE ALL OF ALL THINGS IN THE WORLD OF POP CULTURE!!!"

And anytime Michael Cole says the word Wrestlemania it grates on me.
    I'm another one who hates that every single WWE superstar now has to now point at the Wrestlemania sign at every somewhat suitable opportunity. We get it, there's a Wrestlemania sign, even though it's not Wrestlemania and the event itself is over two months away.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDazzler View Post
    I hate how I am supposed to believe that hooking the leg is going to make a difference. A pin is broken when you get a shoulder up, what does a hooked leg have to do with that?
    I can believe that if you grab someone's leg while also putting your weight on their shoulders, they'd have a tougher time kicking out. But a lot of wrestlers just hook the leg without making any effort to hold the shoulders down. See the link in my opening post.

I also hate when someone is getting pinned, and the guy pinning them traps one arm and leaves the other arm free, but the wrestler getting pinned decides to kick out using his trapped arm, instead of his free arm.
    Great point. This is one that irritates me too, but slipped my mind when I made the thread. I can't think of any good justification for this, whether kayfabe or reality.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I can believe that if you grab someone's leg while also putting your weight on their shoulders, they'd have a tougher time kicking out. But a lot of wrestlers just hook the leg without making any effort to hold the shoulders down. See the link in my opening post.
    Yeah the intent of hooking the leg is to create a tighter compacted cradle position to make it more difficult to lift the shoulder and kick out. Its just most people lazily hook the leg because no one will believe it will result in a pin. Its more of doing it out of habit than anything else, like hitting a ball to the infield and they know its a sure out but they still run it out half assed because they know its an out but its still habit to run to first.

MKPunk

This is a complaint I've seen a lot but don't understand. He originally did the DDT as a consequence of his opponent being on the apron, which he still does occasionally if his opponent ends up in that position. However, it has become a signature move, so I have no problem with Orton deliberately throwing his opponent onto the apron to prepare the move. It's just like a wrestler climbing to the top rope to perform a missile dropkick. Some moves require preparation.
    It is and aerial moves I see the issue too unless it's later in the match and the guy is pretty winded. But take tonight's Orton-Punk match for instance, Orton wastes time setting up the move my drapping Punk's groin or upper legs on the ropes and drags him out. Unless the guy is pretty winded and beaten up, you CAN block this. It's not like say snap back suplex that can be done in a short time, there is a lot of time to take it. Similar to super/avalanche style moves from the turnbuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by BestInThe205 View Post
    I was pretty aggravated by that on Impact this week. Magnus joined up with MEM and noted his past with Samoa Joe. Really, you're in a partnership with a guy who you've attacked viciously from behind on numerous occasions with weapons? OKAY.
    I never knew there was 3 month rule but at least it wasn't a Russo era turn where you have a guy turn on his partner and they are back together in weeks like nothing is wrong and it was never mentioned. The Magnus-Joe break up was what, around last Bound For Glory Series and they have been bonded due to common enemies (Aces and Eights (like most of WWF with the alliance)) and plus Magnus was out for a good amount of time for people to forget.

A good promotion to watch if you REALLY want these turns and pairs take time to form is Dragon Gate. I can think of a few with Cyber Kong that were good. He got booted from Blood Warriors in October 2011 and some what alligned with Junction III (the rivals of BW) only for him to be a double agent (Yoshino, Shingo and YAMATO notably blocked it but Mochizuki (the leader) wanted him in) and rejoin BW and help coup CIMA out and effectively forming Mad Blankey. He was cast out of Mad Blankey and took months to find place for him until he took YAMATO's spot in akatsuki after he turned heel to join Mad Blankey.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomf View Post
    I've always been annoyed by matches that features the finisher spamming of non submission finishers. I'm fine with a wrestler needing to hit two finishers to keep an opponent down if they're in a serious feud or if said wrestler is taking on a monster, but things like the Cena-Rock Part Deux match which featured what felt like a half dozen finishers is just excessive and due to diminishing returns makes me care less about each successive finisher.
    I can see this but it is mainly the Mania logic. With me knowing Japan, this is like how intense the Champion's Carnival would get when you would put together Kobashi, Misawa, Kawada and Williams and they would hit moves you never see. The issue is WWE fans are trained monkeys who want to see Cena hit the F-U, Punk hit GTS, Austin stun people, Rock hit Rock Bottom, Orton do the RKO, and Sheamus Brogue up before kicking his opponents head into the 16th row of the 100 section. While you take Japan (which Cena and Take do to an extent) tey have special moves that you rarely see except in the big matches as a clutch finisher. Cena used the Emerald Fusion this way and Taker had that jumping Tombstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    I dunno if you were watching circa late-80's/early-90s, but the announcers played up that certain wrestlers were just better at doing moves than someone else. So, say, a Shawn Michaels had spent years working on his superkick; he can torque his leg and his body to generate more force more quickly than a Lance Storm who hasn't put in as many hours on that one particular move. Also, as a result of all that practice, he has better targeting and can shift himself in a split second to compensate for a moving opponent whereas Storm might have to settle for hitting a glancing blow just off the side of the head, instead of the sweet spot on the chin.

You'd also have announcers going "Oh, he didn't fully connect with that move!" which accomplishes a couple of functions: that the move could potentially have put the guy down for a three count (if he had gotten a clean shot in), by extension that non-finishers are capable of winning matches (even common moves like lariats if the guy learns how to maximize its impact), and that most importantly wrestling is a sport, not a choreographed ballet. Sometimes baseball players do weird leans to swing at errant pitches, or a quarterback overthrows and the fans never chant YOU FUCKED UP at them because it's not pre-planned. If Lance Storm's superkick hits the guy in the shoulder instead of the head, hey, things like that happen.

I, for example, actually like that Cena's dropkick looks terrible because he almost never uses it. In a big-match situation, everything about a bad dropkick makes sense -- its ugly because he never practices it, it's a desperation move because he really has nowhere else to go that the opponent isn't already anticipating, and it doesn't get a three count because he's unfamiliar with it to the point where he's not hitting it with the kind of force that a Randy Orton could. If it were a smooth clean dropkick we'd be wondering why he doesn't use it all the time.
    There is a difference from when say Gorilla would say "he didn't get everything with that one" and just not saying that Joe Bronie hit a cross body and gets two while Mike Hunt who is the same build hit it and got the three at the same moment in their respective match. The issue is this a newone that unless you are a fan and know that Joe Bronie cannot hit the cross body like Mike Hunt can, it is lost in translation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about all the big men who spend 11 months and 3 weeks jobbing to become a hot favorite every time the Rumble comes around Khali for example, as Matt Striker will logically tell you being big can actually prove to be a massive disadvantage when up against the ropes, your balance is alot harder to control.

Also Vince McMahons logic of big man v big man at a big show = spectacle. e.g Kane v Khali, Umaga v Lashley WrestleMania 23 and Lesnar v Goldberg Mania 20, and all 3 matches turned out to be 1-2 star matches.

Credit to *Tripsi*

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got a few more pet peeves I'd like to share.

Finishers tough to execute? Only if you're in a match!
    We've all seen it a million times. A heel sneak attacks a perfectly fresh face, stomps him a bit, picks him up, and hits his finisher effortlessly. This would never happen in an actual wrestling match. The victim not having his guard up is not a valid justification unless the finisher is an 'out-of-nowhere' type like an RKO or a spear. Mark Henry's beatdown on Cena on RAW is a great example. OK, Henry countering the AA by squashing Cena is a bit rough, but I'm sure Cena's taken that exact spot in matches before and not been completely defenseless as a result. That would never happen in a match.

My rival is walking down the ramp during my match? Let's stop everything and stare at him!
    This one bothers me a lot more than most of my pet peeves. The heel walks down the ramp during the match in a completely non-threatening way. Suddenly the face has to stop everything and turn his back on his opponent to watch the rival do nothing. Sometimes the rival just stands on the ramp which makes the face look even more idiotic. It's so very stupid.

I absolutely love it when this trope is subverted, which is why I raved so much about Ziggler's interference on Del Rio's match in the RAW party thread. His interference was actually distracting as he was trash-talking his opponent on the microphone. Not only that, but Del Rio was wrestling the match anyway, as he should, and they still got over the fact that Ziggler was a distraction without making Del Rio look like a tool.

You ejected me for breaking the rules?! I never expected that!
    A manager blatantly breaks the rules in front of the referee, and screams and hollers at the ref as though the subsequent ejection is a travesty of justice. I know this is one of those carny pro-wrestling things I just have to accept, but I refuse to accept it. Down with the system!

Skimming the cat
    You know what I'm talking about. Fuck that spot and all it stands for. I don't mean the move itself, but the way the aggressor turns his back on his opponent and taunts as though skimming the cat had never been done before in the history of pro-wrestling.

What's even more annoying is that Chris Jericho of all people has incorporated a similarly moronic spot into his comeback routine. He uses a top-rope double axe handle which is prepared when his opponent tosses him off the top rope and immediately turns away so they conveniently don't notice Jericho landing on the apron and quickly ascending the nearest turnbuckle. They they turn back just in time for Jericho to land on their head.

Quote Originally Posted by Peepshow View Post
    What about all the big men who spend 11 months and 3 weeks jobbing to become a hot favorite every time the Rumble comes around Khali for example, as Matt Striker will logically tell you being big can actually prove to be a massive disadvantage when up against the ropes, your balance is alot harder to control.
    What Striker says may be true, but this is counteracted by the fact that big guys have a special power that enables them to blow away a dozen wrestlers pounding on them.

Kara

Skimming the cat
    You know what I'm talking about. Fuck that spot and all it stands for. I don't mean the move itself, but the way the aggressor turns his back on his opponent and taunts as though skimming the cat had never been done before in the history of pro-wrestling.
    Whats worse is when its done in the Rumble where your 1 goal is to throw them outside, I for one would be watching them until they hit the ground. I wouldnt ever want to be the next Davey Boy.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Striker says may be true, but this is counteracted by the fact that big guys have a special power that enables them to blow away a dozen wrestlers pounding on them.
    This is an ability shared only by Japanese schoolgirls.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Citation needed.

BringThePain513

I hate it when Michael Cole flips out over The Shield's music coming on "OH MY GOD IT'S THE SHIELD! WHERE COULD THEY BE COMING FROM" and yet they come from the same place every time

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That reminds me of another Michael Cole-ism I hate: he refers to any backbreaker Sheamus uses as the Irish Curse backbreaker.

Cole is generally very poor at calling moves, but that one annoys me more than most. You'd think he'd know the moves better than almost any other non-wrestler since he is watching wrestling all the damn time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The double-standard refs have in tag matches. Okay if a heel team trades spots without tagging (which is kinda stupid if they're in their corner anyways since they could easily tag...) and the ref doesn't see it... it's okay. But if the babyface does it... BIG FUCKING DEAL. I know it's to create drama and HOT TAG(~!!!) and all that garbage, but it just always bugged me how the ref changes his mind on the rules in mid-match. Can't call what I can't see... what the hell, I'll allow it.

Another thing that kinda gets me is when a tag match gets hectic and there's a double-pin. It's not allowed clearly and never (usually) results in the finish, but the stupid double-hand count the refs do just... argh I know.

And fuck it... I really hate how heel tag teams will do that "fake clap" to trick the ref that a tag was made. I mean, fucking hell... you're in the same damn corner.

Yeah, I just got done watching a match where all this happened and had to vent. Sorry!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That reminds me of another Michael Cole-ism I hate: he refers to any backbreaker Sheamus uses as the Irish Curse backbreaker.

Cole is generally very poor at calling moves, but that one annoys me more than most. You'd think he'd know the moves better than almost any other non-wrestler since he is watching wrestling all the damn time.
    I did notice that on Monday. I don't get caught up in move calling that much, but it's not hard to just call it a backbreaker and call the actual Irish Curse... well, the Irish Curse.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is like when Cena put Punk in the Crossface and Cole called it the the STF or when Punk put Cena in the the Koji clutch and Cole called it the anaconda vise.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is like when Cena put Punk in the Crossface and Cole called it the the STF or when Punk put Cena in the the Koji clutch and Cole called it the anaconda vise.
    Ewwww... don't remind me
    What's up PW users? Check out my band, if you like!
    www.facebook.com/throneofedenband

Cereal Killer

I could see the crossface/STF mistake, but the Koji Clutch/Anaconda Vise are so different...that it's nuts.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    The double-standard refs have in tag matches. Okay if a heel team trades spots without tagging (which is kinda stupid if they're in their corner anyways since they could easily tag...) and the ref doesn't see it... it's okay. But if the babyface does it... BIG FUCKING DEAL. I know it's to create drama and HOT TAG(~!!!) and all that garbage, but it just always bugged me how the ref changes his mind on the rules in mid-match. Can't call what I can't see... what the hell, I'll allow it.
    That has always annoyed the hell out of me.

madness85

The Foot Stomping Before SCM Hits.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And fuck it... I really hate how heel tag teams will do that "fake clap" to trick the ref that a tag was made. I mean, fucking hell... you're in the same damn corner.
    This one makes me laugh more than anything else. It's so nonsensical it's funny.

Yeah, I just got done watching a match where all this happened and had to vent. Sorry!
    Don't worry about that. That's what this thread is for! Unleash the rage.

BringThePain513

I also hate it when Michael Cole says "Vintage" whenever a wrestler does one of their signature moves. So annoying. But then again, the whole commentary bothers me with the exception of JBL. Seriously, it should just be JR and JBL doing all the commentary

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest wrestling pet peeves are with the booking. I really hate it when a match ends on a DQ or count out. So goofy, and cheap.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BringThePain513 View Post
    I also hate it when Michael Cole says "Vintage" whenever a wrestler does one of their signature moves. So annoying. But then again, the whole commentary bothers me with the exception of JBL. Seriously, it should just be JR and JBL doing all the commentary
    People are still going to be asking for JR back when he's on his deathbed.

Bender

Thread Information