Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Pet Peeves

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Never question the effectiveness of the dreaded DOUBLE AX-HANDLE~!

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanMike View Post
    The only thing that really bothers me is when wrestlers go off the top rope into someone else's finisher when the attacker CLEARLY was just jumping off the top rope.

The end to HBK-Benjamin in 05 reminds me of this. What the hell was Benjamin trying to do?

There are countless other matches where the attacker literally just jumps off the top turnbuckle making no attempt to do a move and gets superkicked/RKO'd/whatever.

If I remember correctly, during the Carlito/Orton match, Carlito literally just dove face first into the RKO.
    To add to that, the people who are attempting to jump off onto someone who is on the ground, but the prone opponent lifts his leg. The guy jumping never looks like he is going for anything other than the intended impact of taking a boot to the face.

MKPunk

How wrestlers make the taunts for their finishers. Um hello, if I am wrestling you if I can see Sheamus slapping his chest saying "borgue" over and over, I think I will either roll out of the ring or just stay down.

Another is when wrestlers use common moves as a finisher or someone uses a finisher as a common move. What makes one person doing a move weaker than another. I mean a Lariat vs. clothesline makes sense but what makes a Shawn Michaels superkick more powerful than say Lance Storm's?

Another is convoluted moves like the Orton middle rope DDT the way he does it now. When he originally did it with a recovering opponent on the apron and drag him rather than set it up similar to the slingshot suplex like now. The original made sense. Now it looks lame.

Five moves of doom when it isn't worked into a match like Bret's five moves. He may hit the sequence during smaller matches against jobbers and at most midcarders but the upper midcard or main eventers and PPV matches, he would due the legsweep, elbow and backbreaker but it wouldn't lead to the Sharpshooter. Compare this to a Cena, Sheamus or to an extent Punk and their chains are rarely broken.

I also hate moves like the spinning headscissors when other wrestlers do not try to get the opponenent off and just take it. This comes from a lucha fan but seeing a deja vu or whilrybird style headscissors and the receiver just takes it annoys me particularly when it is a feud where the two wrestlers know eachother like themselves.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by MKPunk View Post
    Another is when wrestlers use common moves as a finisher or someone uses a finisher as a common move. What makes one person doing a move weaker than another. I mean a Lariat vs. clothesline makes sense but what makes a Shawn Michaels superkick more powerful than say Lance Storm's?
    Well Lance and Stevie were also able to beat people with their super kicks. What annoys the hell out of me is how can someone lose to a neckbreaker but not lose to a superplex.

MKPunk

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Well Lance and Stevie were also able to beat people with their super kicks. What annoys the hell out of me is how can someone lose to a neckbreaker but not lose to a superplex.
    There are different neckbreakers. Like that jumping neckbreaker that Paul Burchill used for a bit, that was legit, same with the Rude Awakening. Other neckbreakers though, I agree.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When done right, any move can be a finisher. Ron Zombie has a killer fucking neckbreaker than legit looks like it will cripple people.

As for guys wearing their gear when they are not booked, one of the first things you learn when you train as a wrestler is to already bring your gear. Even if you buy a ticket, you always be ready to gear up. A lot of guys I know got their first matches at random shows they were just hanging out at when someone no showed.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    No one ever goes for that wild spinning clothesline UNLESS it's after Cena's shoulder tackles/before his powerbomb. It makes no sense why anyone would attempt that... Aside from matches against Cena, I've never seen anyone go for a clothesline like that where they spin their body around and then end up facing AWAY from the opponent.
    This is one of those WWE-only things that annoys me but I've learnt to accept it because that's the way it is. Face wrestlers use the exact same comeback sequence every match yet none of his opponents have figured out how to counter it? I thought all wrestlers performed detailed scouting of all their opponents? Apparently that's not the case.

The only thing that really bothers me is when wrestlers go off the top rope into someone else's finisher when the attacker CLEARLY was just jumping off the top rope.

The end to HBK-Benjamin in 05 reminds me of this. What the hell was Benjamin trying to do?

There are countless other matches where the attacker literally just jumps off the top turnbuckle making no attempt to do a move and gets superkicked/RKO'd/whatever.

If I remember correctly, during the Carlito/Orton match, Carlito literally just dove face first into the RKO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    To add to that, the people who are attempting to jump off onto someone who is on the ground, but the prone opponent lifts his leg. The guy jumping never looks like he is going for anything other than the intended impact of taking a boot to the face.
    This is a great one that really irks me too. The Evan Bourne Shooting Star Press RKO Counter is a good counterexample to this, although I don't think the RKO was particularly great as Bourne was basically on the mat by the time Orton got into position.

These spots look great but as you say, they don't make any sense from a logical perspective and serves to make pro-wrestling look even more choreographed than it already appears.

Another is convoluted moves like the Orton middle rope DDT the way he does it now. When he originally did it with a recovering opponent on the apron and drag him rather than set it up similar to the slingshot suplex like now. The original made sense. Now it looks lame.
    This is a complaint I've seen a lot but don't understand. He originally did the DDT as a consequence of his opponent being on the apron, which he still does occasionally if his opponent ends up in that position. However, it has become a signature move, so I have no problem with Orton deliberately throwing his opponent onto the apron to prepare the move. It's just like a wrestler climbing to the top rope to perform a missile dropkick. Some moves require preparation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    This is a complaint I've seen a lot but don't understand. He originally did the DDT as a consequence of his opponent being on the apron, which he still does occasionally if his opponent ends up in that position. However, it has become a signature move, so I have no problem with Orton deliberately throwing his opponent onto the apron to prepare the move. It's just like a wrestler climbing to the top rope to perform a missile dropkick. Some moves require preparation.
    I'm with you on this, I'd rather Orton throw his opponent out there than it just be set up perfectly every match via another sequence, though it still does happen that way I'd rather him actually throw his opponent out there, I mean how many times does a guy end up outside the ropes like that in any other match? very rare, it's like Mysterios 619 set ups that people get so pissed about and Cenas back suplex thing before the 5 knuckle shuffle.

Here's another that gets me and I am going to use Christian as an example here, when guys who have had big time feuds done some pretty brutal shit to each other are all pally pally just because one has turned babyface, after Christian returned last year just months after being a complete dick shit of a heel giving Sheamus a concussion ect ect they team up, not one sign of dissension, not even caution from either party and at the end of the match they are hugging shaking hands...WTF?

Then flip it and on SmackDown Christian and Orton have a backstage promo bringing up the past feud which happened further apart than Sheamus feud and team up happened. Same with Orton and Kane, they spent a good 2 months brutalizing each other then are all pally pally on Raw having nice convos about Bryan. I don't need a come to Jesus meeting between every guy that feuds then teams up or shares a ring together, but I need them to at minimum acknowledge the past via a few looks, some body language displaying caution ect.
    Last edited by Peepshow; 07-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Credit to *Tripsi*

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty aggravated by that on Impact this week. Magnus joined up with MEM and noted his past with Samoa Joe. Really, you're in a partnership with a guy who you've attacked viciously from behind on numerous occasions with weapons? OKAY.

Pomf

I've always been annoyed by matches that features the finisher spamming of non submission finishers. I'm fine with a wrestler needing to hit two finishers to keep an opponent down if they're in a serious feud or if said wrestler is taking on a monster, but things like the Cena-Rock Part Deux match which featured what felt like a half dozen finishers is just excessive and due to diminishing returns makes me care less about each successive finisher.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Pomf View Post
    I've always been annoyed by matches that features the finisher spamming of non submission finishers. I'm fine with a wrestler needing to hit two finishers to keep an opponent down if they're in a serious feud or if said wrestler is taking on a monster, but things like the Cena-Rock Part Deux match which featured what felt like a half dozen finishers is just excessive and due to diminishing returns makes me care less about each successive finisher.
    I agree, it does get tiring seeing it year after year in every Taker WM match and every WM main event in general.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things jump out at me, both in promos. The first is anytime a face uses the 'not so subtly imply the heel is gay' line. WWE does this all the time and I hate it.

The other thing is any variation of the "I don't want a match with you, I want a fight!" promo.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did a lot of springboards. He just won a match a few weeks prior with a springboard bulldog on one of the La Resistance guys. I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is one of the more egregious examples.

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate when a wrestler does an aerial move, and the other wrestler is already up and staring at them, but doesn't get out of the way.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker223 View Post
    He did a lot of springboards. He just won a match a few weeks prior with a springboard bulldog on one of the La Resistance guys. I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is one of the more egregious examples.
    How the hell do you remember that?

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker223 View Post

It's around the 13:00 mark. While I believe you that Shelton won a match that way, there is no way in hell he was kayfabe attempting to do anything when he hot the SCM.

Another good recent example of this is anytime Kane would have one of the SHIELD members in the chokeslam position and then another guy, usually Rollins, would just jump right into Kane's other hand.
    HAYZE

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    Hardcore matches. In a normal match one weapon hit will usually end a match. In hardcore matches your endurance automatically increases were normal finishers don't work and one weapon hit won't end a match.
    That ones noticeable. I guess wrestling logic would dictate in a regular match, you're not preparing for a chair shot, as you would in a street fight or hardcore match. Not sure though.

My pet peeve would the ref missing the tag. If he misses the face team's tag, he won't allow partners to change. If he misses the heel team's tag (or in this case non-tag), he allows the switch. It just looks stupid.
    Last edited by Leper Messiah; 07-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main thing is when a flippy flop wrestler or guys such as RVD have to do a summersault 2 back flips & 3 cartwheels to deliver a right hand or a kick to the gut etc. etc. etc. ..... I F'n hate that kinda sh*t!!
    Last edited by BATISTA_CenA; 07-07-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TempestH View Post
    WWE is guilty of this a lot: wrestlers wearing their ring gear when they're not booked to have an actual match.
    I'd guess you wear your gear because you never know when you're going to be booked at the last second. And, if the various GM's have taught us anything, if you're in the arena you have a 50/50 chance of ending up in a random tag team match, playa!

I dunno if you were watching circa late-80's/early-90s, but the announcers played up that certain wrestlers were just better at doing moves than someone else. So, say, a Shawn Michaels had spent years working on his superkick; he can torque his leg and his body to generate more force more quickly than a Lance Storm who hasn't put in as many hours on that one particular move. Also, as a result of all that practice, he has better targeting and can shift himself in a split second to compensate for a moving opponent whereas Storm might have to settle for hitting a glancing blow just off the side of the head, instead of the sweet spot on the chin.

You'd also have announcers going "Oh, he didn't fully connect with that move!" which accomplishes a couple of functions: that the move could potentially have put the guy down for a three count (if he had gotten a clean shot in), by extension that non-finishers are capable of winning matches (even common moves like lariats if the guy learns how to maximize its impact), and that most importantly wrestling is a sport, not a choreographed ballet. Sometimes baseball players do weird leans to swing at errant pitches, or a quarterback overthrows and the fans never chant YOU FUCKED UP at them because it's not pre-planned. If Lance Storm's superkick hits the guy in the shoulder instead of the head, hey, things like that happen.

I, for example, actually like that Cena's dropkick looks terrible because he almost never uses it. In a big-match situation, everything about a bad dropkick makes sense -- its ugly because he never practices it, it's a desperation move because he really has nowhere else to go that the opponent isn't already anticipating, and it doesn't get a three count because he's unfamiliar with it to the point where he's not hitting it with the kind of force that a Randy Orton could. If it were a smooth clean dropkick we'd be wondering why he doesn't use it all the time.

The general concept of finishers is my pet peeve; or at least the idea that matches can only end with one. It's frightening that I can watch Daniel Bryan go to the top rope every night for a headbutt, know that this is the move that ultimately drove Chris Benoit insane, and also know that the move won't win the match, so he's really smashing his brain against his skull for nothing.

It's around the 13:00 mark. While I believe you that Shelton won a match that way, there is no way in hell he was kayfabe attempting to do anything when he hot the SCM.
    But only thirty seconds earlier, Shelton had used a springboard clothesline. I do agree with you that from the way it looks there's no way Benjamin could have hit anything other than maaaaaybe a double axhandle if Michaels had wandered in three feet closer, in general his going for a springboard something was not unprecedented. It's not like Kurt Angle where opponents with no aerial moves climbed the ropes so he could belly-to-belly them down.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My absolute, undisputed, 100% most hated thing in wrestling ever is when there's a match going on as normal, but someone with a vague interest is backstage, watching it on TV. They're always standing up, on a really weird angle, about three inches from the screen, looking completely gormless.

Why aren't they sitting down?

Surely they're just watching themselves. The viewer can see them watching TV...so can't they just see themselves watching TV?

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWE's inability to keep anything popular...... popular.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    My absolute, undisputed, 100% most hated thing in wrestling ever is when there's a match going on as normal, but someone with a vague interest is backstage, watching it on TV. They're always standing up, on a really weird angle, about three inches from the screen, looking completely gormless.

Why aren't they sitting down?

Surely they're just watching themselves. The viewer can see them watching TV...so can't they just see themselves watching TV?
    Yeah that has always been strange. Its like the position they are in, they just snuck up on the tv hoping they wouldnt be noticed.

arbiter75

Why do certain faces feel the need to run out and save someone they've had no prior affiliation with or even feuded with in the past? I remember instances last year where Sheamus randomly came out to save HHH and Cena, two guys he'd brutalized and injured in his WWE rookie year. Even more baffling, Sheamus and Cena were buddies by the end of the year.

When lumberjack matches happen, why are the faces and heels neatly organized on each side of the ring? Why do they only attack the face/heel in the match? Is there some kind of magical alignment spell cast before they go out to surround the ring?

Why do heel champions feel a chronic need to interfere in No. 1 contenders matches? Shouldn't it be blatantly obvious by now that it'll only result in a triple threat match for them?

When a wrestler turns face, why do they seem to magically forget their own transgressions? I remember Edge chastising Christian for cheating to win the world title. Seriously, EDGE? The Ultimate Opportunist? And just a few weeks ago, Miz was on commentary criticizing Axel for taking shortcuts to become IC Champion. This from the guy who cheated in almost every title defense as WWE Champion.

Pomf

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter75 View Post
    Why do certain faces feel the need to run out and save someone they've had no prior affiliation with or even feuded with in the past? I remember instances last year where Sheamus randomly came out to save HHH and Cena, two guys he'd brutalized and injured in his WWE rookie year. Even more baffling, Sheamus and Cena were buddies by the end of the year.
    While the rest of your post is absolutely right in that they're weird there's at least some logic behind a face coming out to rescue someone. They're supposed to be good guys and good guys generally help people in need. It's like if Batman were to show up out of nowhere and save Spiderman from a no-DQ handicap match with Doc Ock and Green Goblin. Sure Batman has no affiliation with any of those guys, but Batman is a super hero and heroes are supposed to help people in need.

As for sudden changes of heart. 3-Month Rule. Storylines that happened more than three months ago are assumed to have never happened unless specifically mentioned otherwise.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSmith127 View Post
    The other thing is any variation of the "I don't want a match with you, I want a fight!" promo.
    Then they start the actual match with chain wrestling

Credit to *Tripsi*

Thread Information