You don't say.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wrestling Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Pretty much everything you see in MMA either came from pro wrestling or was being used in pro wrestling long before MMA came along though.
    I cringe when UFC talent or its fans bash pro wrestling for being fake. They act is if they are blessing those listening with some sort of secret knowledge that only a few privileged folks were privy to before they came along. Also, they are ignorant to the fact that if pro wrestling didn't exist, then they would probably not exist either. You can plainly see the connection if you research the early years of MMA. Hell Ken Shamrock was a pretty damn good pro wrestler prior to becoming a "professional" fighter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partial list. I'm sure I'll think of more.

* My biggest pet peeve is SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT! C'mon! This is WRESTLING!
    * Mixed gender tag teams
    * Triple Threat/Fatal Four Way WITH A TITLE A STAKE.
    * Commercials during matches. Actually, TNA did a marvelous job about a year and a half ago, during their Championship Tournament. One night, they had 8 matches -- NO COMMERCIALS DURING ANY OF THE MATCHES!
    * Lack of squash matches on TV. With every televised match being main event/mid-card caliber, it cheapens the PPVs.
    * Too many WWE PPVs! Not enough time to build story lines. PPVs are no longer special events. They're run of the mill and ordinary.
    * Fakey backstage drama vignettes. Just let the story play out in the ring, or in a well spoken promo.
    * Wrestlers on the National/World level who don't have mic skills. Eli Drake is the leader of the pack these days. Up an coming wrestlers would be well advised to study his promos. The guy is nothing but promo gold.
    * Laurel van Ness jilted bride storyline.

That's it for now. I'll probably post more later.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One that I notice a ton nowadays is when the wrestler is getting pinned but they have their eyes opened and are looking at the fucking ref as he makes his count. Right then and there you know that the wrestler is kicking out just before the 3 count and it totally just kills any drama there is to that pin fall. They do it a lot now. Even old school guys like Jericho I have seen do it on a fairly regular basis so it isn't strictly a new era wrestlers only doing it kind of thing but it's strange, I never noticed it at least to the point it is now until maybe the past couple years. I guess they don't trust the refs cadence.
    Last edited by vendrell; 06-02-2017 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was awesome in NXT when the ref told them to "please kick out" as I guess they fucked up a finish so they couldn't be trusted...

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigvalsalva View Post

* Mixed gender tag teams
    * Commercials during matches. Actually, TNA did a marvelous job about a year and a half ago, during their Championship Tournament. One night, they had 8 matches -- NO COMMERCIALS DURING ANY OF THE MATCHES!
    * Lack of squash matches on TV. With every televised match being main event/mid-card caliber, it cheapens the PPVs.
    * Too many WWE PPVs! Not enough time to build story lines. PPVs are no longer special events. They're run of the mill and ordinary.
    * Fakey backstage drama vignettes. Just let the story play out in the ring, or in a well spoken promo.
    * Wrestlers on the National/World level who don't have mic skills. Eli Drake is the leader of the pack these days. Up an coming wrestlers would be well advised to study his promos. The guy is nothing but promo gold.

e storyline.

That's it for now. I'll probably post more later.[/QUOTE]

Lmao at Laurel Van Ness jilted bride storyline. Isn't it the dumbest crap ever. Ok, so are we to believe that Van Ness keeps showing up to work drunk week after week and they just let her go out there. Sure,Even if I half break kayfabe in my own mind, and say that since they tape a month's worth of shows at a time, then she still came in drunk after being dumped, then came back next month drunk and in the same clothes and they let her perform! Also, Van Ness has attended the Hulk Hogan school of "Acting for live wrestling"as she freaking overacts so badly. Someone tell her to tone it down a notch. I have yet to believe that she is actually drunk based on the judgment of her "acting" skills. However, I am starting to believe she is high on painkillers while pretending to be a drunk. That's another thing about taping once a month and this angle. Van Ness should have watched herself on the first "acting drunk shows" and made an adjustment to her acting technique. Then there is the sugar coating of this whole angle in Kongo Kong. The first time I saw him, I'm like what is this 1970's wrestling cheese doing on my TV. Yes, i considered it so bad that I can't accuse it of being 1980's regional wrestling garbage. The 1980's were too cool for this crap. However, I'm a little bit impressed by the guy athletic ability. I mean this guy has easily redefined the top three worse looking guys in wrestling history. The old list was in any order, Viscera, Abdullah the Butcher, and a bunch of other guys that get votes. Now the third guy is Kongo Kong.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I mentioned this one before, but two wrestlers go to do a spot, botch it, then at that exact moment, do the same spot right there.

Like wrestler A is sitting on the turnbuckle, and wrestler B climbs up to give him, say, a hurricanrana off the turnbuckle. Wrestler B didn't get his legs wrapped around Wrestler A's head, and he go tumbling down. Wrestler A just sits there, while wrestler B climbs back up to hit the hurricanrana on him

Staying there to do the same spot just reminds us it's all scripted. While mistakes will happen, it'd be nice to see the wrestlers improvise and do something else for two to three minutes, then come back to the spot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The back body drop attempt.

Wip a guy into the ropes, then bend over and wait.. what did you think was going to happen? That's right, a kick to the teeth.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also the double axehandle. I know the Ricky Steamboat thing... but anytime I see it (and even then...) I just can't help but laugh.

A similar spot that I also can't help but cringe is when someone comes off the top rope when a guy is lying on the mat. You'd think something like a splash... elbow drop... stomp... ANYTHING. Nope, they just drop down and land so their opponent can put up their feet. Assuming it wasn't "countered"... what were they gonna do? Stomp real hard on the canvas to create a tremor?

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refs over reacting to moves in the ring. It's distracting as shit. Stop doing it.

Also this is more of a wrestling crowd pet peeve and i'm sure you know what it is if you have watched NXT lately... 1.2...SWEET! after every fucking two count. We get it Full Sail, your fucking cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually love the ref sell. I know most want them to be as noticeable as a turnbuckle but I love it.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speaking of the NXT crowd, shouting "TEN!" on every ref count when the wrestlers are outside. I admit, it was clever and funny at first. But now it's old hat, Tye Dillinger is no longer in NXT, and it's annoying. Joke's over.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the "TEN" count chant has even morphed over to WWE however that I can live with but the 1.2...SWEET! thing can really take away from a match. Thankfully that one hasn't taken on a life of it's own outside of NXT.

Also the idea that somehow the ring ropes will keep somebody trapped in the ring. Like at Extreme Rules sunday when bayley had chased down Bliss with the kindo stick, the commentators made sure to point out that Bliss had nowhere else to run...yeah she does, she's a foot away from the ring rope and Bayley is all the way on the other side of the ring, just slide under the rope.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigvalsalva View Post

* Mixed gender tag teams

I forgot to mention in my pious reply that the reason TNA was able to air 8 matches with no commercials was probably because they had no sponsors at the time and the network couldn't find a company willing to pay for commercials airing during Impact. Like those folks that sell fossilized Bull Shit on a plaque,for once TNA took a bad situation and made it work to their advantage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    I actually love the ref sell. I know most want them to be as noticeable as a turnbuckle but I love it.
    Charles Robinson is GREAT at the ref oversell.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just gonna say it. Pump handle ANYTHING.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Just gonna say it. Pump handle ANYTHING.
    Even when Road Dogg would add a butt fuck to it?

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably already been said, but working the leg. Most recent example is Omega/Okada II, and the main (re: only) reason I didn't like their second match as much as their first.

Omega worked over Okada's leg for some time early in the match, making it his tactic early on to weaken Okada. The announcers were all over it and the crowd groaned every time Omega targeted his leg and Okada went down.

Fast forward to later in the match and Okada is jumping six feet in the air to dropkick Kenny Omega every single time he gets any offense going, never once selling his supposedly injured leg.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working the leg is so lazy. Announcers always preach it to counter high fliers but honestly outside of Daniel Bryan in Chikara* has working the leg ever led to a finish?

* They literally worked it over a 3 day weekend to get a submission win.

Thread Information