Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zigglee breaking up?

Default Zigglee breaking up?

So just like this past Smackdown, the most interesting segment of the night was bizarrely on the App while we were subjected to a very ordinary episode of Raw.

AJ and Dolph splitting might have been on the cards since Payback, and while I'm happy for Dolph that his face turn is going well so far (although I'm not sure why he was on defense for 90% of his match with Jinder) and he's discovered the "magical WWE babyface 1 always beats 3 powers", I can't help but feel like this is really disappointing. I think AJ and Dolph had so much chemistry together that they never really took advantage of while they were still both heels. There was that 2 or 3 month period between their hook up and the Wrestlemania build where he was just losing week after week despite AJ and Big E's presence at ringside which was a real disaster. Instead of going after the potential that was shown in their segments like on the Christmas Raw they just kinda stopped. You only need to watch some of their local media interviews to see how good they are together and the way they bounce off each other, it really was so stupid that they didn't get more mic time earlier this year.

Even now I think it's a shame that they're inevitably going to split. I get that their alignment makes it difficult, but why can't WWE do something different for a change and have a face/heel couple? In real life this sort of thing happens - people don't just go their separate ways over one little fight! Although this segment doesn't specifically mean they're splitting up, you just know that it's the direction they will go.

A couple of weeks ago they really looked like they were on to a great thing. Dolph was World Champion and getting great pops just doing his thing, and AJ had just cut a wicked promo and then put on one of the best Divas matches ever with Kaitlyn. Now AJ vs Kaitlyn has descended into typical WWE female-on-female body and slut shaming and AJ and Dolph seem to be destined for splitsville. Disappointing.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Default Re: Zigglee breaking up?

I'm kinda interested to see where they go with this, actually. I figured it would happen after he turned face, but I'm still waiting to see how they go about this.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Big E is gonna fuck him up bad.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Even now I think it's a shame that they're inevitably going to split. I get that their alignment makes it difficult, but why can't WWE do something different for a change and have a face/heel couple? In real life this sort of thing happens - people don't just go their separate ways over one little fight! Although this segment doesn't specifically mean they're splitting up, you just know that it's the direction they will go.
    Because logically, it's kind of hard to cheer for Dolph if he continues to associate with someone who's doing these kinds of things. It's the same reason why Punk/Heyman will be split up by Summerslam at the latest (and I understand AJ isn't as naturally hateable as Heyman is, but they're clearly trying to make it so that she is).

It's just not something that I could see working for a long period of time.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Good scouting hr.

In my opinion, fans are going to cheer Dolph one way or another. Dolph isn't over because of his character, he's over because the fans appreciate the performer. I understand the logic behind this move, but I can't help but feel the WWE are going down the same ol' beaten track when they could do something original and play out a face/heel relationship and the strain it has on both performers. That would actually make for some compelling television, some real Fox and the Hound stuff but with more 'snuggling' or 'third wheeling'.

Instead, nope, Dolph will probably face off against Big E in a feud that doesn't get as much mic. time as it needs to get over and will be one of those matches their fans will love but the general populous won't care about.

I'm torn when it comes to the app. On one hand, I understand the importance of it being privy to exclusive live content...on the other having finishes or advancement promos designed to sell upcoming matches is counter-productive. How about putting up interesting content like having other wrestlers give their thoughts on certain programs or the odd 'legend' shoot interview as opposed to content which is vital for your characters?

When it comes to mid-carders I can't help but feel like Helen Lovejoy. 'Won't somebody please think of the children?! They're our future!' etc. etc.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I understand the logic behind this move, but I can't help but feel the WWE are going down the same ol' beaten track when they could do something original and play out a face/heel relationship and the strain it has on both performers. That would actually make for some compelling television, some real Fox and the Hound stuff but with more 'snuggling' or 'third wheeling'.
    Maybe that's the route they're going. We don't know yet, this backstage promo doesn't exactly suggest they're going to break up next week.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

They won't break up next week but most likely within the month when really they could have built this angle up.

However, one argument that's definitely valid is that the relationship angle didn't have a lot of momentum. It was basically dead on arrival as it was just a vehicle to protect Cena and add spice to a series of one sided rematches. They could have still salvaged the angle, but sadly they got lost in the Mania shuffle.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Dolph and AJ COULD have continued as a couple, but you can't keep them together after the Secret Admirer stuff with Kaitlyn. The only way that Dolph and AJ could've stayed together was to double turn AJ and Kaitlyn, and that would've required massive retconning, i.e. claiming that the secret admirer stuff was a "harmless prank" and that Kaitlyn "couldn't take a joke".

Banned

I liked them as a group and I still think Ziggler needs to be heel as fuck. Just a taste of Zigglerface last night was pure punishment. AJ could bring him back to the dark side and it would make sense. They are in love. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Repperton View Post
    I liked them as a group and I still think Ziggler needs to be heel as fuck. Just a taste of Zigglerface last night was pure punishment. AJ could bring him back to the dark side and it would make sense. They are in love. Or something.
    It would make no sense to turn him back right away. I was in the camp that thought they didn't get what they could have out of Ziggler as a heel, but now they have to capitalize on his momentum from the double turn.

Bender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    It would make no sense to turn him back right away. I was in the camp that thought they didn't get what they could have out of Ziggler as a heel, but now they have to capitalize on his momentum from the double turn.
    Sometimes you can cut your losses early if you acknowledge them fast enough. I am a HUGE fan of long term continuity but Heel Ziggler is what people want to see. Are you turned on by the possibilities with good guy Dolph? Especially with the history of face turns to dust WWE has been doing to death? I'm not, and I way dig Dolph.

How can you call it a loss when there's no evidence yet that it's not working?

The crowds are responding fine to it from what I can see, and I think Dolph does have potential as a face. And WWE does too many turns in general, not just face turns. They're just as bad with the heel turns.

Bender

Are people already souring on Dolph's face turn a few weeks in? It's going to take time for the fans to adapt to him after years of him being an effective heel.

Exactly, you have to give these things time. And I think they've been reacting to it pretty well already.

Bender

Average WWE crowds doesn't give enough pops to Ziggler, and that is a problem. If Ziggler wants to be top face, he needs massive feud with top heel.

Imagine if Lesnar would attack Ziggler? It would be exciting to Dolph's "face-reign."
    WWE since 2009 No Mercy, still going on!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BustUout View Post
    Average WWE crowds doesn't give enough pops to Ziggler, and that is a problem. If Ziggler wants to be top face, he needs massive feud with top heel.

Imagine if Lesnar would attack Ziggler? It would be exciting to Dolph's "face-reign."
    This is good stuff. I just have so little faith in creative doing a decent face turn with such a good heel. A Brock attack would make sure Dolph got something he could use. A little more exposure and Brock is the most hated man in wrestling. If he isn't already.

Brock is hated...but not like he could be. I really wish he could talk better. Brock can beat up whoever he wants, but he can't really get under your skin, because he can't talk. At the most he is a bully. The best heels in the business, and of all time, can get under your skin with their words, and make you hate them. Brock is like a school bully, and that's not enough to be top heel material to me. Love the guy, but he could be so much more epic. Anyways, i know that didn't have to do with the topic, just a random thought based on the last comment hah.

And i think this Ziggler face turn will work...and very well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMyDietSoda View Post
    And i think this Ziggler face turn will work...and very well.
    In your opinion, is the Randy Orton face turn going well?

Banned

Don't compare the two.
    Dolph Ziggler is way more talented then randy orton.

He gets huge crowd reactions and certainly doesn't draw less than he did when he was a heel, so...

Bender

Banned

He gets huge crowd reactions and certainly doesn't draw less than he did when he was a heel, so...
    The people cheering him are enablers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spear View Post
    The people cheering him are enablers.
    Will you stop with this already?

People are allowed to cheer whoever they want.

Bender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Spear View Post
    Dolph Ziggler is way more talented then randy orton.
    Nah

True but do you find his character as interesting or enjoyable as it once was?

I've been slowly watching this Ziggler face-turn and waiting to see how they will handle the AJ split. I'm glad they've kind of kept them separated at the moment because I'm enjoying them doing their own thing. To be honest I don't think an explanation needs to be made really, or have it play out in a storyline. If they are confident they can do it, and do it well then that's fine. However I don't want it done just to give people an explanation and slow down their progress as new characters and in their new storylines.

Banned

Nah
    Yah. Dolph Ziggler is better on the mic and in the ring.

Thread Information