Thread: The Sign Guy

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Default The Sign Guy

Backwards red hat. Blue button-up, unbuttoned.

He's been at damn near every major show and PPV for at least a decade. I have a huge PPV DVD collection and he's at like 90% of them.

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Spoiler

Default Re: The Sign Guy

https://twitter.com/RickWWESignGuy

I don't quite know how he funds all of his trips but he says he goes to 40-50 events per year. Fair play to him.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    https://twitter.com/RickWWESignGuy

I don't quite know how he funds all of his trips but he says he goes to 40-50 events per year. Fair play to him.
    Pretty sure the wrestlers know him well so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets freebies or discounts now.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

He lives the dream. He must be loaded cause his tickets are always fantastic.

Im sure i remember seeing an interview with him where he said he first started going to all the events when his wife died.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

While we're on the subject, and nothing against this guy or anyone else personally, but I'm getting sick of seeing the same people in the front row at every big event. Especially WrestleMania. It's almost like the front row at WrestleMania is the exact same from year to year.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

What about the guy with the pink shirt and the lady with the yellow shirt? I saw them on TV once again not that long ago. Seems like they've been going to events since the early 90's.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the awesome banner

Don't forget the Brock Lesnar fan guy.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by TheDazzler View Post
    Don't forget the Brock Lesnar fan guy.
    The guy who wears Affliction shirts and does that awful Brock pose?

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Quote Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
    The guy who wears Affliction shirts and does that awful Brock pose?
    Yes.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Found this interview, nice little read:

The WWE “Sign Guy”

Interview with Rich Achberger
    The “WWE Sign Guy”

Rick tell us about being the Sign guy and how you got this title?

Wow. Well I guess back in 1997, I got front row tickets to a RAW is War event in Dallas. I have watched the WWF for years and always wanted to bring signs to a televised event. I brought a few signs, one of which was a sign for The Nation of Domination. It had Cartman from South Park in a NOD uniform. Cartman was pulling his pants down and farting. The sign said “Nation of Flatulation”. Mark Henry did not think this sign was very funny. After his match, he came over and ripped my sign to shreds. I thought this was the coolest thing ever! Not only did a get too see a great show, but I got to interact with the Superstars as well. I was hooked. I started going to several WWE shows a year.

I guess a few years later I was at another WWE event wearing a red hat and blue workman shirt. I was really sticking it to a Superstar all night. (I cant really remember who. Kid Kash?) My buddy and I were going to the same show the next night in a different city. I thought, you know what? I’m gonna wear the same thing I did last night so that guy knows its me again! The outfit kind of stuck after that. I would bring several different signs to each show and peolple would come up to me and say, “Hey! You are that guy with the signs. You’re that sign guy!” The name really stuck after the WWE did a piece on me on a show of theirs called WWE Confidential.

I saw you at the Wichita Kansas events in the past, I see you all over the Country, tell us how many events and what the deal is, alot of people think your employeed by WWE?

I try to go to 40 to 50 WWE events a year. Yeah, people do think I work for the WWE as a plant. I really dont. I just love to go to the shows as much as possible. Why not go do what you love as much as you can? Life’s too short! Some think I go to EVERY show. This is so not true.

Where do you get the sign ideas, cause they are great stuff?

Thanks but some of the Superstars think otherwise! Haha. I have boxes full of sign ideas written on napkins, toilet paper, letters, notebooks, whatever. The ideas hit me usually when I’m watching Raw or Smackdown.

What do you think of the internet and the so called Internet wrestling community?

I think its ok. You can focus on any sport and there are several fans who like to express there opinion via internet. I dont follow it too much. Alot of times they report things that are not true.

The WWE in the 1980′s had a guy named Ivan who was working for the US post office and went to all events and became a fixture, you have become a fixture your thoughts?

I dont know. I just love watching the WWE on TV and have a huge passion for seeing it live and interacting with the talent.

What do you think of the current product and the CM Punk issues?

I love Punk and his character. I really dont know if his contract was up or if the whole thing was a work, I dont know. I do know that it was extremely entertaining.

Your a WWE guy and have been identifed with Vince and Co, what are your thoughts on ROH,TNA,etc.?

I really cant answer that because I dont watch the other companies on a regular basis. I can say I sure do miss some of those guys and girls that were in WWE and now with them. I hit some of those shows from time to time to mess with them.

What has been your favorite memory of wrestling?

There have been so many. I do remember once at a WWE house show in Tyler, TX. I was doing my usual annoying yelling and sign holding. Tyson Tomko came out and looked at me and then went under the ring. He pulled out a giant sign that said, “SIGN GUY SUCKS” and it was signed by the whole roster. I had a tear in my eye. That was so cool. I had it framed and its hanging over my fireplace.

I notice your an STP fan, what do you think of music and wrestling and why they go together so well?

I have a big love for music and concerts. I without a doubt go to more concerts than wrestling events! Well, they both are trying to put on the best show they can.

Your on twitter, what do you think of the whole twitter fad with fans being able to interact and all with the stars, they worship and follow?

I think its a great thing!! Its cool to see yet another picture of Natalya’s cat! haha. No, I really like it. I wasnt going to do it until I found out someone was impersonating me. Who would be that nuts???

James Lowe
    Project Backstage Contributor

Also, for those that don't remember, Rich was a contestant on the game show "Deal or no Deal" back in 2007ish, where he won $107,000, so I'm sure some of that money has helped fund his WWE tickets.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

I was just talking about him the other day. For the longest time, I thought him, the Brock guy, and the I hate Cena guy were all plants. And the Hogan look-alike. I still believe they are, but maybe they really just are loaded with cash and want to travel and whatever else. A pretty cool way to live life. Good for them.

Deffo plants

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

Yeah, the more I think about it, I'm 80 percent sure these guys are plants.

When he was on Deal or no deal. Edge and Orton definitely seem to know him. I thought Cena was probably there too and had forgot the fourth person, Bobby Lashley.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

Thread Information