Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the last great World Heavyweight Champion?

Wrestling God #2 ProWrestlingFan's Avatar

Default Who was the last great World Heavyweight Champion?

Alberto Del Rio's reign has been too short to judge.
    Dolph Ziggler was injured throughout most of his reign.
    Alberto Del Rio's last reign wasn't very interesting.
    Big Show's reign was boring and pretty short.
    Sheamus' reign was way too long.
    Daniel Bryan's reign wasn't great and he was screwed at WrestleMania XXVIII.
    Big Shows reign was 45 seconds long.
    Mark Henry's reign was good to start with, but then Big Show came back and just made him look like his b*tch.
    Randy Orton's 1 month reign was boring and I was annoyed that he beat Christian to just hold it for a month.
    Christian's reign was too short and I think he should have held it for way longer.
    Randy Orton's reign - boooring.
    Christian's reign could have been great but typically, WWE screwed the talented guy and rewarded the undeserving guy.
    Edge's reign was pretty average, nothing big happened.
    Kane's reign, I liked. I think his matches with The Undertaker were epic, and it was the last time the World title main evented a PPV.

So, in my opinion, Kane was the last great World Heavyweight Champion. What are your opinions? It just seems like the world title hasn't meant much recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rock
    The Rock is back, and he is never leaving again! *leaves*

Default Re: Who was the last great World Heavyweight Champion?

Well, judging by your list it makes it easier for me to decide.

Edge or Batista.
    - Credit JV -
    My client Gus Poyet broke the streak!!!

Banned

Mark Henry was the last great heavyweight champion.

Banned

Jack Swagger winning the belt off of Jericho really feels to me like the last time the belt was worth anything by the company. That Swagger transition just drops the standard. While I find Big Show, Mark Henry and Kane to all be potentially great champions, along with Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler, I don't think the belt has had any real importance since the minute Swagger won it back then. That reaction Dolph got when he smoked Del Rio for it really did something for me but then the concussion and the switch back to Del Rio killed all of that noise. I really think that the right guy could win that thing and start claiming it's the top belt and a fued could ignite immediately leading to a unification probably best played out at Mania 30. No better time if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Repperton View Post
    Jack Swagger winning the belt off of Jericho really feels to me like the last time the belt was worth anything by the company. That Swagger transition just drops the standard. While I find Big Show, Mark Henry and Kane to all be potentially great champions, along with Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler, I don't think the belt has had any real importance since the minute Swagger won it back then. That reaction Dolph got when he smoked Del Rio for it really did something for me but then the concussion and the switch back to Del Rio killed all of that noise. I really think that the right guy could win that thing and start claiming it's the top belt and a fued could ignite immediately leading to a unification probably best played out at Mania 30. No better time if you ask me.

I've been saying this for months. They need to give the World Heavyweight Championship to a major star in order to bring back some legitimacy. I think they should give CM Punk the title, he would be the best candidate. If not, even Cena. I don't care. Just some big star. Since Punk beat Del Rio via count-out on RAW, I hope this means Punk gets a title match at Money In The Bank. Even though he won't win it, as he's more than likely facing Lesnar at SummerSlam, I think having Punk as even just a contender would give it some more importance.

If WWE is going to give Bryan the Wwe title, they should let him win the world title, and have a good reign as a wrestling machine, who puts on good match after good match for a good six month reign.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Banned

It's pretty safe to say that the World title is officially dead

No it isn't the best match this year IMO was for the WHC ( ADR vs Big Show) and ADR with Swagger had some awesome matches even if the storyline sucked.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Sheamus, had the potential to be a great champion, but the only time I thought he was great was when he was feuding with Show. I think Punk, Bryan, Jericho Or ziggler could be great champions and have great feuds. ADR really needs to go away from the world title as he just makes it so boring.

Thanks To Hayze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    ADR really needs to go away from the world title as he just makes it so boring.
    Totally agree. He's a channel changer. I too am getting really sick of him being in the world title scene. He has really sucked the life out off the belt.
    When Ziggler won it. I thought finally? But then look what happened Screw wwe and screw del rio.

I find it ironic that people, (for the most part) complain about short title reigns... but when someone holds the belt a long time... people complain about that too.

I'm the pinnacle!
    That means I reign supreme!
    I'm notorious, I'll crush you like a jellybean!
    I'm Badd!

Banned

HHH

I would say the last great Champion was Undertaker.After he drop the title to Jericho leading up to WM XXVI the title has meant jack shit and has clearly been book as a secondary title behind the WWE Title and actually in reality a mid card title ala a new era IC Title.

So pretty much everyone that has one the title after '10 in Jericho,Swagger,Mysterio,Kane,Edge,Christian,Orton ,Henry,Big Show,Bryan,Sheamus,Del Rio and Ziggler I don't view their wins as legit "World Title" wins and reigns,again in my eyes they just one this modern era's IC Title.

Really sad to see what has become of the World Title.From '02-early '10 the title was book as a true equal but over the last three years not even close,theirs really is no reason for the title to even be around anymore sense everyone views it as a secondary title.It's long over due to be merged with the WWE Title so we can go back to just one legit world champion for the company.This would also hopefully keep guys like ADR,Swagger,Kahli...ect and other non worthy so called world champions from getting their hands on it.While also keeping the lol number of so called title reigns for guys like Cena,Orton,Edge,Triple H....ect at a limit.Their was and never will be a need for someone to be a X10,11,12...ect world champion.

the last GREAT champion?

ill say Undertaker. since him winning it at wm24 was the last time the belt was deemed important enough and with superstars big enough competing for it to close the show.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    I think Punk, Bryan, Jericho Or ziggler could be great champions and have great feuds.
    They could all have great feuds and also be the kind of person to get over the that title with the old THIS TITLE MATTERS type thing... like Taz did with the FTW title. When a guy claims his title matters most, the guy with the real title has to answer it. That kind of collision could be excellent.

Also,
    What if Kurt Angle shows up out of the blue and takes the title from whoever? Does it matter then? I think so!

For me the last great WHC was Edge back in 2008.

There have been some good one since then like Daniel Bryan, but none have been what I would call great.

surrender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spladle125 View Post
    HHH
    Pretty much. Edge is next on the totem pole imo.

I think Bryan's run was pretty great.

Hell, Sheamus' was great if you look at it from a purely in-ring perspective.

HAYZE

Banned

I remember a time when Sheamus was having hard-hitting matches with all types of opponents and everyone was clamoring for it. Hell, I was too. They were some fun matches to watch. But for the life of me, I can't remember a damn single one of them. I remember him stealing a car and littering, and that's about it.... Sheamus never had a MITB 2011 or WM13 or whatever, name it. He hasn't had it. So for me, Sheamus is near the bottom of the list.

He would be much more well liked if his character wasn't so damn awful, because he clearly can get it done in the ring in big matches.

HAYZE

Banned

Was gonna spread rep but I can't, but essentially I agree with you. He definitely gets it done in the ring and I enjoyed his reign at times. He does deliver in the ring but I'm still on the other side of the fence... I don't think he was a great champion.

I think the last time I cared was when hhh or edge held the belt. I'm always wanting Orton to carry it but for whatever reason they book him great every time he goes after the belt but once he gets it his reign is anything but interesting.

Hey TNA, I Don't see that glass Ceiling breaking yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Velvet View Post
    I remember a time when Sheamus was having hard-hitting matches with all types of opponents and everyone was clamoring for it. Hell, I was too. They were some fun matches to watch. But for the life of me, I can't remember a damn single one of them. I remember him stealing a car and littering, and that's about it.... Sheamus never had a MITB 2011 or WM13 or whatever, name it. He hasn't had it. So for me, Sheamus is near the bottom of the list.
    He won the title from Bryan in 18 seconds at WM28.
    He beat Bryan in a 2 out of 3 falls match at Extreme Rules.
    He beat Jericho, Orton and Del Rio in a fatal-4-way match at Over The Limit.
    He beat Dolph Ziggler at No Way Out.
    He beat Del Rio at Money In The Bank.
    He beat Del Rio at SummerSlam.
    He beat Del Rio at Night Of Champions.
    He lost the title to Big Show at Hell In A Cell.

There, hopefully that refreshed your memory.

That Extreme Rules match was so fucking good, I need to watch that shit again. Totally made up for the two Mania duds.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    That Extreme Rules match was so fucking good, I need to watch that shit again. Totally made up for the two Mania duds.
    I agree, best match of his entire reign.

Thread Information