Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

  1. #1
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,516

    Default Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    While this won't mean something to a lot of people, those who follow closely will know the name Dr. David Chao, the team doctor of the San Diego Chargers, because he handled most of Rey Mysterio's operations. Last week the Chargers announced that Chao was quitting to spend more time with his family. But USA Today obtained records that noted that two different hospitals in San Diego were not allowing Chao to perform surgery there any longer. This jeopardized his job with the team. Scripps Memorial and Scripps Mercy Hospitals conducted reviews of his work, his quality of care, and his alcohol consumption. Several former patients of Chao's had accused him of maiming them during surgeries, and of negligence, including one that led to Scripps Memorial Hospital reaching a large settlement. Those were the only two hospitals he was allowed to operate out of, so this will lead to his being unable to perform surgeries. Mysterio this past week had surgery done by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham. Those in WWE had been unhappy with Mysterio using Chao instead of Andrews, who is the company's "go-to" guy for his multiple operations.
    I know a lot of people here have soured on Mysterio over the past couple of years, as a long time fan of his it's really disappointing to read that perhaps this underwhelming and slightly legacy-tarnishing period towards the end of his career could have possibly been avoided. I understand his desire to work with a doctor close to home because of his family, but there's a reason that practically everyone in sports goes to see James Andrews, because he's the best surgeon in the world.

    Hopefully Rey is still able to come back for one last decent run and cap off his career with the sort of dignity and success that someone of his all-time great status deserves.

  2. #2
    STL Cards: 8-5 :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    27
    Posts
    17,528

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I hope he is able to come back and have 1 last run for like 6 months to a 1 1/2 years as he is one of my all-time favorites.

    surrender

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I'm not a massive Mysterio fan but I would like to see him come back and have a decent last run while passing the torch to someone. I just don't know who that would be.

  4. #4
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,516

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by Repperton View Post
    I'm not a massive Mysterio fan but I would like to see him come back and have a decent last run while passing the torch to someone. I just don't know who that would be.
    Adrian Neville.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Adrian Neville.
    No, not Adrian Neville.

  6. #6
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I've been wanting him to have one small final run for almost 3 years. However, the guy hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than a couple months at a time and I've finally grown tired of waiting for him. Time to retire Rey!

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I kind of feel that way too but I still think he needs to do the job for somebody. Or just get destroyed by someone. There has to be a sacrifice sometimes and not everybody deserves a Ric Flair style send off... not that he really stayed out of the ring or anything but I think you know what I mean.

  8. #8
    STL Cards: 8-5 :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    27
    Posts
    17,528

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I personally think Dean Ambrose should be the one to retire Mysterio.

    As far as Neville goes, Mysterio can kind of pass the torch to him by teaming with him in a somewhat mentor type role.

    surrender

  9. #9
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by SM View Post

    As far as Neville goes, Mysterio can kind of pass the torch to him by teaming with him in a somewhat mentor type role.
    Dont you believe that's what the intention was for Sin Cara though? Hypothetically, if Rey never got injured during his tag team run with Sin Cara, do you believe he would have retired by now and "passed the torch"?

  10. #10
    Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Possibly, and we definitely would have seen the match between the two.

    HAYZE

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

  11. #11
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,516

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Adrian Neville is actually good though, so that's probably worked out for the best. I imagine they'll still do the Rey/Sin Cara match, but his stock has fallen so far it won't be treated anywhere near as big of a deal.

  12. #12
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Possibly, and we definitely would have seen the match between the two.
    Not to get way off topic here...but who do you feel deserves the blame for Sin Caras lack of overall impact and getting over as "Rey's replacement"? I want to blame his booking and WWE's lack of superstars who can work his style. However, his wellness suspension and injuries have really derailed any sort of momentum he's ever gained.

  13. #13
    Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
    Not to get way off topic here...but who do you feel deserves the blame for Sin Caras lack of overall impact and getting over as "Rey's replacement"? I want to blame his booking and WWE's lack of superstars who can work his style. However, his wellness suspension and injuries have really derailed any sort of momentum he's ever gained.
    I blame him more than anyone else.

    HAYZE

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

  14. #14
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,516

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    He should have gone to FCW/NXT first too in order to get used to working against WWE opponents. When he's with Cesaro he looks fine, but the problem is that not everyone is Cesaro.

  15. #15
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    At this point in time my only idea for guys like Cara and Neville to get proper pushes and recognition in WWE would be to resurrect the Cruisetweight Championship. Maybe even starting the belt off with Rey as champion could spark some interest and regain some prestige. Afterwords , he can pass the belt off to Cara or Neville and that ends his career.

    My biggest gripe with booking of these high flyers is that there is very few of them and having them wrestle against guys like Barrett or Miz just makes them come off bad because these big guys can't work with that quick finesse style. They need to be protected by staying in a division that has only the smaller guys in it.

  16. #16
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    30,802

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Adrian Neville is actually good though, so that's probably worked out for the best. I imagine they'll still do the Rey/Sin Cara match, but his stock has fallen so far it won't be treated anywhere near as big of a deal.
    Can PAC work the mic?

    Bourne is still my hero though as my top highflyer.

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    647

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    He should have gone to FCW/NXT first too in order to get used to working against WWE opponents. When he's with Cesaro he looks fine, but the problem is that not everyone is Cesaro.

    It's no coincidence that the people who've meshed well with Sin Cara are those who've travelled the world and know how to wrestle multiple styles(i.e. Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro, Ted Dibiase Jr.)

  18. #18
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,516

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
    At this point in time my only idea for guys like Cara and Neville to get proper pushes and recognition in WWE would be to resurrect the Cruisetweight Championship. Maybe even starting the belt off with Rey as champion could spark some interest and regain some prestige. Afterwords , he can pass the belt off to Cara or Neville and that ends his career.

    My biggest gripe with booking of these high flyers is that there is very few of them and having them wrestle against guys like Barrett or Miz just makes them come off bad because these big guys can't work with that quick finesse style. They need to be protected by staying in a division that has only the smaller guys in it.
    Neville is muscular enough to look competitive against some of the bigger guys. He's absolutely ripped. Sourcing from the Punk/Lesnar thread where everyone is going off about how "legit" guys look, Neville looks far more athletic and "pro wrestler" than Miz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Can PAC work the mic?

    Bourne is still my hero though as my top highflyer.
    Eh, he's OK but it's hardly a strength. He's unreal in the ring though so it doesn't particularly matter.

  19. #19
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,493

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    I blame the WWE formula, and how it's so darn incompatible with anything different.

    Sure, Sin Cara has his share of totally dissappointing fuckups, but since when has that stopped WWE from going through with their plans on people they like?

  20. #20
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    30,802

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Neville is muscular enough to look competitive against some of the bigger guys. He's absolutely ripped. Sourcing from the Punk/Lesnar thread where everyone is going off about how "legit" guys look, Neville looks far more athletic and "pro wrestler" than Miz.



    Eh, he's OK but it's hardly a strength. He's unreal in the ring though so it doesn't particularly matter.
    Miz has the far better looks going his way, which matter in the WWE product today.

    Bourne is unreal in the ring too and has the better looks...he just has to watch the ganja.

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  21. #21
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    30,802

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    I blame the WWE formula, and how it's so darn incompatible with anything different.

    Sure, Sin Cara has his share of totally dissappointing fuckups, but since when has that stopped WWE from going through with their plans on people they like?
    Sucks he doesn't know any English, it'd help if he could speak on the mic. That's been a huge part of why the American fans have eaten up Mysterio so much. ADR too.

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  22. #22
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,493

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    He knows a fair amount on english, but not enough to be able to cut promos.


    Are you really saying USA fans got into Mysterio because of his talking? He could have been mute and it would made little near no difference.

  23. #23
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Neville is muscular enough to look competitive against some of the bigger guys. He's absolutely ripped. Sourcing from the Punk/Lesnar thread where everyone is going off about how "legit" guys look, Neville looks far more athletic and "pro wrestler" than Miz.
    Do you feel his look and high flying skills are enough to get a proper push? Guys like Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel are great technical and high flying wrestlers, yet we never have seen either get much of a singles push. That's kind of why I though that bringing these smaller guys together and putting them in a division could bring some attention to them and even build up some fan bases so some of the more popular guys can move up and feud with the higher card wrestlers.

  24. #24
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    30,802

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    He knows a fair amount on english, but not enough to be able to cut promos.


    Are you really saying USA fans got into Myaterio because of his talking? He could have been mute and it would made little near no difference.
    No not just that but it helped to connect him to the fans rather than end up like Psicosis/Super Crazy/La Parka as being that lowcard pushed talent.

    Same with Eddie.

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  25. #25
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,493

    Default Re: Rey Mysterio/Doctor update

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    No not just that but it helped to connect him to the fans rather than end up like Psicosis/Super Crazy/La Parka as being that lowcard pushed talent.
    Those three guys know english.

    And to say that all Eddie needed was know english is a disservice to him, the man had charisma and talent in truckloads.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •