Thread: Heroescon 2013 adventure with spotty and Voxtz!

Default Heroescon 2013 adventure with spotty and Voxtz!

So the spot family made it's annual trip to Heroescon in beautiful Charlotte NC again this year. Fun was had by all. I had a ton of things I wanted signed this year, and a ton of creators I wanted to talk too. And one day just wasn't enough to get it all done. Add in that I was gonna have my first ever Nerdery meet up with Voxtz... and well there just was no time at all. But one day was all I had so I had to make it work! I didn't get near the pictures I wanted to this year because the time factor as well but I'll share what I got between the wife and I.

Here's a nice shot of the con floor... doesn't even cover it though. This year the con was huge, twice the floor space of last year.

Voxtz texted me at this point to let me know he had arrived and was gonna head to the Marvel writers panel, I was intent on getting some sigs first so I passed on the Panel but agreed to meet up soon after.
    I spent the morning trying to get Sean Murphy to sign my copy of Punk Rock Jesus, he had the longest line as he was only signing certain times of the day, due to all the commissions he had lined up. Got his signature and a sketch I'll Share with you now:

Sweet as hell right?

Then we spent a little time chasing down some of spot jrs list. got him a few sketches, and some signings which i haven't uploaded yet. I'll do a bonus edition tomorrow and include some of his haul.

Stoped by Matt Kidnt's tabled and purchased revolver, from him and got him to sketch and sign my Mind Management:

Had a great conversation with him about creator work and DC work. He says he enjoys both immensely and can't wait for some DC stuff that's coming he can't talk about yet.

And then over to Charles Soule to get my Swamp Things signed and buy his Strange Attractors:

Spoke with Charles at length about Swamp Thing and Superman, I told him I posted on Didios Facebook page that he should be writing a Superman book. Very gracious guy, we talked about Red Lanterns a bit too. And I can't wait to see that.

From there it was a short hop over to Joe Harris to get my Great Pacific signed.

Had such a nice conversation with him about it, I ended up buying issue 7 from him which he also signed. Great guy him.

Gotta tell ya though the best convo i had all morning came with Evan Dorkin, I got my Beasts of Burden Hardcover signed, and purchased the Neighborhood Watch one shot, which my dumb ass store could never get me.

we talked for a long time about characters, and which ones he enjoyed the most to write. And about kids, and comics, and all sorts of things. Just a neat guy. I highly recommend the Beasts of Burden Series to anyone who love animals... though be prepared for a fantasy story the consequences are all to reality based.

The boy said he was hungry at this point so we went upstairs to grab a bite... and Voxtz texted again and he and his Fiancee came up stairs for our first visit of the day... more on that in the next installment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by the spot; 06-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Well... don'tcha?

Diva of Destruction iron maiden's Avatar

Default Re: Heroescon 2013 adventure with spotty and Voxtz!

Awesome. I can't wait to see more!

Sting
    Diva of Destruction
    Empress of Canadia
    2010 Queen of the Forum
    2012 Tag Team Queen of the Forum - Rogue and iron maiden
    2013 PW Hall of Fame (Thank You)

Sitting in the conference room, waiting for the Batman panel to start. I'll be going to a Daredevil one later on as well. I'll start reporting on my 3-day Heroescon adventure Monday night (provided i can locate the cord to connect my camera to my laptop )

Guess this means I missed Heroscon <.< Crap me and the wife wanted to hit this.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Next year Engel!

Can't wait for voxtz's take on this adventure. He got the full three days. Not to mention this was his first con. Find that cord Bro.

If you can't find that cord, go and buy another one. We need pics

Sounds like you packed in as much as you could in your day spotty, I'm quite jealous as nothing like that is held near here I love all your autos, and it's nice to hear that you had time to chat with the various writers/artists. Looking forward to more!

Cheers Macho

Diva of Destruction

Spoiler

So lunch time we are standing in line at a little bagel place inside the Convention center food court. I guess some background for this story is relevant. It seems that the state Republican party was also holding a convention in the same building. So it was quite humorous watching the two cultures collide. In front of us in line was Eric from "A Comic Shop" if you are not familiar with Eric or a comic shop feel free to go to their facebook page and have a look: https://www.facebook.com/A.Comic.Shop?fref=ts

Anyhoo Eric is a Gay man, and was dresses (sort of) as Wonder Woman for the con. Really just tiara, bracelets, Jeans and T-shirt. More of the wonder girl look... only gender flipped. He was in line beside this older business suit dressed Republican convention goer lady. Who totally did not know she was talking to a guy pretending to be a girl... there's a picture coming soon that makes this funnier I swear.

We were laughing at this just as I saw Voxtz and his woman come up the escalator. So I smiled and waved them over we had nice convo while spot jr and missus spot went and ate. They both decided they were gonna get a bite too and we agreed to meet later for the Green Lantern Panel. But not before we got a cool pic or two:

Voxtz snapped one too, we'll see I suppose if he finds that cord.

I returned to find my wife posting clever stuff about the Wonder woman dude on facebook... I thought a picture might make that more fun too... so we went of to find him and snapped this jewel:

My favorite convention pic ever.

I should also add that on the way down to the hall to find that picture, on the escalator a group of republican men was going up as we were going down, you pass really close. One of them was laughing his but off, at some girls dressed as some anime characters I'm not familiar with. As we met I said to him, they're laughing at you too pal... which elicited a nice little laugh from people on both sets of escalators.

Then we walked around the vender area for a spell, and then i decide to go get some more stuff signed:

Got Kelly Sue Deconick and Joe Quinones to sign some captain Marvel stuff. Both awesome people, Kelly is a hoot, more on her later on.

Ran into a team of Captain Marvels around this time too:

Yes ones a dude.

Next we went to the GL panel, We walked in and Voxtz was waving at me... I totally missed him and sat down. He came over and told me he was trying to get my attention but I was totally zoned out.

highlights of the panel can be found here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45958

Voxtz asked a couple of questions, I'll let him fill you in on which ones. Otherwise it was a blast, after hearing this team speak, I have no doubt all the GL books are in good hands. I highly recommend those jumping off give them a try.A group of awesome guys, who care about the characters they are charged with. All of them said DC had not tried to stop them in anyway from doing things they wanted. In fact they said there is stuff coming that will shock us all. They also talked a bit about their creator owned work and work for other companies. Prompting me to consider picking up XO Manawar by Mr Vendetti:

who had signed my GL earlier:

And indeed later I did pick up both volumes of XO atas steal for ten bucks a piece... Mr Vendetti signed them as well:

Also found out he did the comic adaption of the The Lightning Thief and spot Jr had to have one of those:

but I'm digressing a bit Me and Voxtz left the GL panel and head out to find Matt Fraction to get a couple things signed. We chatted and stuff along the way:

Also worth a note that Francesco Francavilla signed that Hawkeye as well as the issue 1 of Black Beetle:

Me and Voxtz separated for a bit as we had different agendas, but saw each other a couple more times before we said our goodbyes and he headed off to the costume panel.

We hunted a few more things for the wife and the boy which i will share in a bit. and saw one final panel to end our day.

Well... don'tcha?

So here's a whole load of Spot Jr stuff:
    Adventure time Sketch cover done by a Boom Artist who's name escapes me at the moment.

Mark Bagley was giving these out to any kid who came by his booth:

He also signed my Fantastic Four 1 pictured in the post about my Fraction meet.

Skottie Young was super cool, he spent time actually talking to spot jr:

This cover for Bravest Warriors was done by Marris Wick, she signed it for him, and was super nice as well:

Jason Horn is someone we've seen two years in a row, he does a web comic called Ninjasaur, which he also does ashcan size printings of and sells at shows. He sketched in our copy this year as well as spot Jrs sketch book:

Finn and Jake vs a Dalek, Jason outdid himself.

Was not familiar with this artist, but He has a creator owned book for all ages called Pantalones TX... regretting not grabbing it while we were there.

He does a neat Finn though.

Andy Runton does a kids book called Owly. Spot jr has outgrown it, but remembers it fondly. When I told him Runton was at the show and willing to sketches he had to have it:

These two artist are young up and comers who I'd never heard of they have some self publishd stuff i'd not heard of, but they were super cool and spent a few minutes chatting with Jr about art:

And the sketch of the day has to go to Cully Hamner, you might know him from some of the new 52 costume redesigns, and his work on Red. My son asked him for this:

which he said by far was the strangest request from a kid he'd ever had. Yes that's a piece of pie with a face, about to be eaten by Jake. You kinda have to know my kid... Cully was a great sport and though he had never drawn Jake before did it well, and he confide in us that he had done a cover for an upcoming Regular Show... so we'll be on the lookout for it. We had a nice laugh at the pie thing and joked about a nice simple Batman sketch or something.

The wife didn't get left out either:

She got A copy of Sixth Gun Vol 1 signed by the artist Brian Hurt:

A book I've read but didn't own, Brian and i both convinced her that she would like it.

and then we went on a quest to find Mara#1 by Brian Wood and Ming Doyle. We had stopped and spoken to Ming earlier and she was super cool. She however had only issues 2-4 at her both. We spent the last few minutes of out time on the floor searching for a number 1. Found it, bought it, took back to ms Doyle to sign, and bought the remaining issues. The missus was very happy with it.

Then we decided to rush upstairs and catch the Kelly sue Carolcorps fan club panel (a Captain Marvel fan club). And I am so glad we did. What a lively fun, panel, and Kelly sue is absolutely enthralling to listen to. Shes smart, funny, and brilliant. Loved hearing all about how she got he book, and the humorous anecdotes about Steve Wacker and others. The crowd was a lot of fun too, a lively bunch indeed.

All in all it was a great experience. My one regret is not getting to spend as much time with Voxtz as I wanted. But I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of each other. And I already can't wait for next years con.

Well... don'tcha?

Damn you guys got a lot of crap done. Awesome you got to meet with Fraction. Kelly Sue is hilarious.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Insanely jealous of spot jr.'s multiple sketches of Finn and Jake along with Gunter. Bravest Warriors is a good read, as well.

Looks like the Spot family had a ton of fun. Looking forward to Voxtz's updates.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

Thanks for the pics and the writeup, sounds like you guys had a blast!

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Here's a great video of the cosplayers at Heroescon. I saw quite a few of them. Interesting note the Power Ranger near the begining is a friend of a friend that didn't know was at the con.

Well... don'tcha?

Thanks for sharing! Glad you guys go to do this. I still hold out hope of joining you guys some year!

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

Day 1
    My fiancee Danibug and I both have the weekend off of work for one reason: HeroesCon!

After driving about 35 minutes, we arrived in Charlotte, found a parking garage, and walked 2 minutes to the convention center. Since both of us had no idea what we were doing or where we were supposed to go, we wandered aimlessly inside for a few, before finding the pre-registration booth (for those who purchased tickets online ahead of time). Our snazzy reward- we don't have to wait in line, we can enter the convention floor early, and we both got this:

(signed HeroesCon poster)

Since we arrived first thing, most of the artists/writers had yet to arrive, and the ones that had, had crazy long lines. The first person i was able to locate had no line- Jim Calafiore

(Jim and I. The It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia t-shirt i wore "The Nightman Cometh" got me tons of compliments all day )

Jim was a super nice guy. I had him sign my two favorite Exiles arcs, along with some other books. I talked to him about how to this day i still grieve about the cancellation of Secret Six. He told me that Gail Simone and him fought like hell to keep the book going, but in the end, our assumptions were right: they cancelled it because they didn't want both Secret Six and Suicide Squad; and they chose Suicide Squad. He informed me of a project Gail and him were working on; Leaving Megalopolis, funded by Kickstarter. He said that it had ended, but they were still taking late backers (though when i tried after i got home, it wouldn't let me).

After perusing and getting some signatures, my fiancee and I headed to my first ever panel: Wolverine. Frank Cho, Jason Aaron, and Jason Latour were the speakers- except Cho was the only one on time. Eventually we started when Jason Aaron arrived, and five minutes into that Latour arrived. They talked about how much they luv'd them some Wolvie, then opened up to questions. Frank Cho seemed annoyed he was there, since he had already finished work on Savage Wolverine, and had moved on. He spent most of the time joking that he didn't actually read comics, and that he just liked to write Wolverine stabbing things. Jason Aaron seemed shy, but insanely intelligent, as he told the story of how he became a comic book writer- he entered a Marvel talent search (the one and only time it happened), and won. Though it took years for him to find traction after that and start getting regular work. Latour seemed unprepared, but in good spirits.

My questions:

1. (for Jason Aaron) Wolverine has been a mentor to people such as Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, and Armor. He has come to see Kitty as a peer these days; is there anyone in his current class that he would eventually form that relationship with? Answer: Quentin Quire, then lots of talking about how much he liked Quentin, how he is the only one who thinks Wolverine is the "enemy authority figure".

2. (for any) Wolverine is an Avenger, X-man, does solo missions, and runs a school. Will there ever be a moment where he buckles under all of the pressure? Answer, by Frank Cho: "Wolverine is not a pussy". (lots of laughs, this would be my first lesson in panels, that jokey one-liners is mainly the answers they like to give). Jason Aaron (serious) answer: "Maybe that's a story you should write".

One fan asked "Where do you get off" to Jason Aaron for having Broo shot in the head. Another lesson in panels- some fans are hostile

(me with Jason Aaron after the panel was ended, and we were back on the convention floor)

I focused the rest of my day on signatures. I surprised the hell out of Jim Amash with a comic he had never signed before. "How did you know I worked on this comic??" (uh, duh, your name is inside ):

(Marvel Riot, a parody comic of the Age of Apocalypse)

My fiancee got all of her Ghost issues signed by Kelly Sue Deconnick, who was wildly friendly. She informed her that Ghost would be back in the fall, that it had been much more successful than Dark Horse expected, so now they were micromanaging her. Then I got my Thunderbolts trade paperback signed by Mark Bagley.

Another lesson learned: people will have STACKS of comics signed. I'm talking 100 at a time. And this is what happened in Bagley's line as we waited. After that happened, Bagley walked out from behind the table and informed us that there was a 10 comic limit. Matt Fraction right next to us (very funny guy) offered to sign comics for him, and asked "how do spell Bagel-y?".

After that, we headed over to Phil Noto, who was going to sign all of Danibug's Ghost issues, and a few issues of X-23 for me. One problem:

(I accidentally put one of the wrong issues of X-23 in front of him, and he signed it, before he noticed he didnt work on this one. Oh well )

One last signature, and then we were going to call it a day: Jonathan Hickman. I was such a huge fan of Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF work, and had to make sure i got his signatures.

(I actually found him to be kind of dismissive as he signed my books. Though I should have realized it was towards the end of the day, and i'm sure he was ready to get the f outta there)

Tomorrow: Day 2, meeting the spot, and a couple of panels!

Day 2

Day 2 started better than Day 1. Danibug and I found a better place to park my car, and we weren't lost going into the convention center. But there was an early Marvel writers panel that I really wanted to attend. I texted spotty, who responded that he would skip it to collect signatures first. I found my way to Roy Thomas, who was signing only on Saturday, but already had a large line, and i couldn't wait. Instead, I checked for C. Martin Croker, who was not there on Friday.

But he was there this time.

Unfortunately, he charged $10 for signatures, the first such occurence i ran into. But I was a huge fan of his work, so I handed him my Space Ghost: Coast 2 Coast DVD box, along with the money.

(luckily, he wasn't going to take the $10 and shove me along, he doodled a bit )

(During the "Boatshow" episode, it was revealed that Moltar had a wife named Linda)

Deciding to pass on any more signatures, in favor of getting to the panel early and getting a good seat, we headed out of the convention floor, and up two floors to the conference room. This one was larger than the Wolverine one; and PACKED. By the time it started, people were standing up in the back because there weren't any more seats. Easily 200 people attended, whereas the smaller Wolverine panel room was about three quarters full, with about 75 people.

(Jonathan Hickman, Kelly Sue Deconnick, Matt Fraction, and Jason Aaron were the guest speakers. Jason Latour was scheduled as well, but he failed to show up.)

Once again Hickman appeared to be as grumpy as he was the day before, and Jason Aaron was still soft spoken but intelligent. Kelly Sue was just as sweet, and her husband Matt Fraction was still a jokester. Several cosplayers attended, many Carol Danvers, and a Volstagg that got cheers from the panel (though Fraction subtracted half a point because he didn't have a turkey leg).

My questions:

1. I can't remember I remember asking two questions, but getting vague un-answers, and giving up.

I do remember other people's questions. Has the success of the Avengers film affected their writing style, and has Marvel interfered at all? Answer: nope. Why is Jason Aaron's Thor so dark? Answer: Have you read any of my work?? Does a recent hater attack on Kelly Sue discouraged her? Answer: nope.

Anyways, we headed back down to the convention floor to snag a few more signatures before meeting up with spotty. One i went straight for was Roy Thomas, who signed 4 books for me, but only signed 1 before asking for a few bucks for charity. I donated 3, he signed my other 3.

(I actually got this book from Benny during the PW Nerd Gift Exchange. Came in handy!)

I also snagged another signature for an old book:

(Joe Staton suckaz!)

Then I headed over to Drew Geraci, who signed my Green Lantern Corps: Ringquest trade. He asked me if I could believe Geoff Johns left Green Lantern, and i answered "he wasn't going to do it forever!".

(He asked where I was from, and gave me a neat inscription )

Finally it was time to meet the spot. Heading upstairs one floor to the food court type area, my fiancee said "is it the guy waving to you?", and i looked up to behold the spotted one. I talked to him while he was in line at the bagel place, until he left to keep talking to me, letting his wife and spot jr. continue without him.

(spotty's a tall fella!)

We agreed to meet up at the Green Lantern panel, as he went back to eat with his family, as Danibug and I went to grab our food. Soon after, we headed to the conference room, sure to save seats for spotty. When he entered though, he couldn't see my arms flailing him to sit by me, so Danibug and I left our seats to join him.

(left to right: some nerdy podcast moderator, then the writers for Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Green Lantern Corps, and New Guardians).

Back in the same conference room as the Wolverine panel on Friday, I noticed the difference right away. A third full would be generous, at about 30 people. Spotty said that he wasn't going to ask questions; but i hate hearing silence during the "any questions?", so i wound up asking three.

My questions:

1. During Blackest Night, Guy Gardner was unnerved seeing Dex-Starr in action, commenting "I hate cats". Will having Dex-Starr around Guy again compromise his undercover status at all? Answer: We all love Dex-Starr! (cheers from the crowd). Dex-Starr will be around quite a bit in the book going forward (essentially, my question completely avoided).

2. How much will the other emotional spectrum Corps be involved in the books going forward? Answer: Green Lantern somewhat now, Red Lanterns just red, Corps somewhat, and New Guardians just all the colors that Kyle uses as the White Lantern.

3. I can't remember. I should have done this recap sooner

Anyways, other questions included: has their been any issues involving DC editors, as its been reported online? Answer: The Red Lanterns writer directed us to the back of the room, where their editor was sitting, smirking. All of the writers reported that they had zero issues whatsoever, but have heard those same reports, but can't comment on what they haven't experienced themselves. Question: Where are Soranik Natu, and other Corps members who haven't been seen yet? Answer: they're coming up in Green Lantern Corps real soon.

After the panel, our street gang of my fiancee and I, along with spotty and spot jr. headed back to the convention floor to meet up with mrs. spot and get Matt Fraction signatures.

(again, a very friendly fella)

then it was time for spotty and I to split. Danibug and I headed to one of the many t-shirt pavillions, where she bought a Thor shirt in the style of Big Bang Theory logo, and I bought an X-men shirt featuring 70's Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Phoenix, Wolverine, and Banshee! (when i showed spotty the shirt, he said "of course, i should have known" and rolled his eyes. Hey! Banshee merchandise is rare, i'll take what i can get!) We met up again at Hickman, where spotty was getting signatures. He seemed to be in very good spirits at this point, making me look like a dingus when i told spotty earlier how Hickman had been moody and distant so far. We promised to meet up again after a few more conversations (sorry folks, no Voxtz and spot radio show, Ozone doesn't have his servers anymore).

I was going to attend one more panel: the cosplay panel. So Danibug and I headed upstairs... to find a tiny room, packed to the brim, with dozens more people walking up. Not feeling like being confined, when all we were going to be were goggle-eyed spectators, we ditched and headed out for the day.

Next up: Day 3, one more panel, rounding out my signature hunt, and Voxtz finally starts buying stuff!

I'm glad that X-Men comic came in handy, dude.

I love that Voxtz had such a great time at his first con, and I'm glad I got to meat up with him, and see how much fun it was first hand.

Well... don'tcha?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...he-queen-city/

And that's what Heroescon is all about Charlie Brown.

Well... don'tcha?

I'm way late on reporting my Day 3

Day 3
    Danibug and I headed into our last day the least interested in signatures. We wanted to enjoy our last day by seeing sights and sounds and such.

First up: Batman panel (with video someone posted on Youtube!)

I asked a few questions, and got answer-dodged on most of them The room was filled as much as the Wolverine panel, but still a whole lot less than the Marvel writers (but still much better than the Green Lantern one).

One more signature I wanted to get though was Greg Rucka. The guy had a crazy long line the first two days, but I would find out why: easily the MOST interested in having conversations with everyone in his line.

I told him how important I thought this store from X-men Unlimited was. It was about Kitty after Colossus's death, and how it needed to be told, and should have been told in Uncanny. He agreed, and showed how the cover of the issue mirrored the last page in the issue, with Kitty cradled. He practically launched out his chair talking to me about it, the guy was animated

Went and found Arthur Suydam, who would only sign stuff if you bought one of his prints for $20. So we passed on that, sadly. His Marvel Zombies stuff is great though.

We got a bunch more pics, such as the Ghostbusters car and other assorted nerdiness. But the one I had to get when I saw it, i was in shock.

Someone cosplayed as Banshee!

We spent most of the afternoon looking through the comic book pavillions after that. I did run into Frank Cho, who had a laugh remembering what he said to me during the Wolverine panel, and acting alot friendlier and into the convention.

Because we waited until the end to do our buying, prices were slashed like a mofo. Danibug picked up a few Thor tpb's for $5 each.

An Essential X-men, a What If? trade, and a block of Star Trek TNG comics, combined for $13

Then, I found something I couldn't resist...

Avengers Annual 10 (first appearance of Rogue), for $10!

There were a TON of amazing deals on older comics, but i didn't want to spend $50, even for comics that are normally $300 or so. If you want to collect, I suggest going to Heroes Con and shopping on the last day.

All in all, a blast was had So great to meet spotty, and so many creators. Interacting with them during panels is something I won't forget!

Signatures I acquired:

Spoiler

Thread Information