Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who was the worst US president.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who was the worst US president.

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post

I had never heard this before.
    Me neither. I just assumed they took the land and either kicked a shit load of people out or allowed them citizenship under the new nation and it's laws.

Not sure what to believe here but Haynus recommended wikipedia for a general overview of things. When I have time over the weekend I'm gonna bone up on it. Interesting stuff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean I wouldn't use wikipedia as a source if I were going to write a research paper on it... but just for general facts and statistics all in one place from which you can form your own opinion, its adequate. But I didn't want to send this thread on too much of a tangent because I love the topic of US presidents. So if anyone has any questions please PM me, I'd be happy to do my best to answer anything.

LavenderHaze

I guess I'm gulable that way I believe anything I hear, Guess I need to read up on politics....

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haynus_Aynus View Post
    I mean I wouldn't use wikipedia as a source if I were going to write a research paper on it... but just for general facts and statistics all in one place from which you can form your own opinion, its adequate. But I didn't want to send this thread on too much of a tangent because I love the topic of US presidents. So if anyone has any questions please PM me, I'd be happy to do my best to answer anything.
    Yeah totally. I think wikipedia actually does a great job of staying on top of important things like History. They have all those sources you can click on. Very good job done by the staff most of the time.

The only inaccuracies I've ever seen on there was the daughter from the George Lopez show? Someone called her a bozo under her personal life section. haha. Who says bozo anymore? That's the greatest thing I ever heard.

And former WPS owner Dan Barslow had his home town listed as "Hell."

But the big stuff, wiki is mostly on the up an up.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderHaze View Post
    I guess I'm gulable that way I believe anything I hear, Guess I need to read up on politics....
    Well, it's not that hard. If you have one hour a week, watch Meet the Press, they have republicans and democrats on every week. For the most part I'd stick with stuff that isn't biased one way or the other. Politifact your best friend. Great site. Here's a link. http://www.politifact.com

But you can't read anything on Facebook without a source. And then you have to click on the source to make sure it's legit. Very important.

LavenderHaze

Alright, I'll take ur advise
    Thank You

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've never really paid attention to the news, I'd instead recommend local news (TV, newspaper web site, blog) over something like Meet the Press or Face the Nation or (shudder) one of the 24 hour networks. It's stuff that is happening around you, to you, and affects you in a much more immediate and tangible way than what's going on in DC or around the world.

Like, 37-year old Maggie Gyllenhall told she's too old to play the love interest of a 55-year old man is noteworthy inasmuch as it's a social issue, it points to completely unreasonable standards foisted on women but on the other hand, a bridge that I drive across 2-3 times a week is corroding and, no offense to Ms. Gyllenhall, but this is significantly more pressing to me.

So my advice would be, find your local paper's or local TV station's Web site. (Or check out hyperlocal blogging network Patch if your town's too small for a paper or continual TV coverage.) Read every headline -- NOT article, headline. Pick out a couple that look interesting and read the whole thing.

And that's it, now you know what's going on. Maybe not super-in-depth about everything going on everywhere, but none of us can make that claim.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    If you've never really paid attention to the news, I'd instead recommend local news (TV, newspaper web site, blog) over something like Meet the Press or Face the Nation or (shudder) one of the 24 hour networks. It's stuff that is happening around you, to you, and affects you in a much more immediate and tangible way than what's going on in DC or around the world.

Like, 37-year old Maggie Gyllenhall told she's too old to play the love interest of a 55-year old man is noteworthy inasmuch as it's a social issue, it points to completely unreasonable standards foisted on women but on the other hand, a bridge that I drive across 2-3 times a week is corroding and, no offense to Ms. Gyllenhall, but this is significantly more pressing to me.

So my advice would be, find your local paper's or local TV station's Web site. (Or check out hyperlocal blogging network Patch if your town's too small for a paper or continual TV coverage.) Read every headline -- NOT article, headline. Pick out a couple that look interesting and read the whole thing.

And that's it, now you know what's going on. Maybe not super-in-depth about everything going on everywhere, but none of us can make that claim.
    Yikes! Local News?

I don't know where to start.

On one hand you're right, there are important things going on in your community that you probably need to know about.

But on the other hand? It sucks so bad!!! Those people are clearly hired for their looks. The news is often gossipy.

Yeah, I admittedly don't do well with local news. Maybe if I found a team I liked. Serious people.

I think paying attention to your federal government is so much more important. So a reputable program like Meet the Press is an invaluable resource.

But I do concede that you need some form of local exposure.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    Yikes! Local News?

I don't know where to start.

On one hand you're right, there are important things going on in your community that you probably need to know about.

But on the other hand? It sucks so bad!!! Those people are clearly hired for their looks. The news is often gossipy.

Yeah, I admittedly don't do well with local news. Maybe if I found a team I liked. Serious people.

I think paying attention to your federal government is so much more important. So a reputable program like Meet the Press is an invaluable resource.

But I do concede that you need some form of local exposure.
    I know my position is an odd one to take, but I stand by it. It's important to keep up with what's going on around the nation and the world, but not at the expense of what's happening in your own backyard. You can read your local paper and get some degree of coverage from DC, but not the other way around - USA Today doesn't have reporters talking to your city council.

Last year a local independent paper did a piece on an unexpected side effect of the SF tech boom; indie artists and small-time music venues can no longer afford the rent. I wouldn't have thought about that if I were only paying attention to the Beltway, y'know?

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haynus_Aynus View Post
    Again you are going on the (incorrect) assumption that the area surrounding Jerusalem was some Arab Muslim paradise country pre-1948 and that one day a zillion Jews just showed up and forced them all out at gun point. You are wrong. As I said, for hundreds and hundreds of years it was a forgotten province of the Ottoman Empire with a very small population and had pretty much fallen into disarray. Palestinians are NOTHING like the Native Americans or the Aboriginies, therefore I wouldn't compare them... and you're willingness to do just that shows how little you know. They were in their respective lands hundreds of years before actual colonizers showed up. This is not at all what happened with Israel in 1948.... seriously go read even just a little bit of the history. Even just a bit is good. Most of the Arabs had shown up in the late 19th century, from surrounding areas, for economic reasons provided by Zionist Jews who had emigrated and built up the areas surrounding Tel Aviv, Haifa, and other cities on the Mediterranean. For you to try and discredit my argument by calling me a racist is not only incredibly typical, but a cop out. This isn't even mentioning the multiple wars of intended genocide the Arabs tried to perpetrate on Israel in 1948, 1956, 1967, and 1973..... in which they lost all of them. Only the Arabs get 5 do overs to try and annihilate an entire group of people while gullible westerners froth at the mouth over Israel.

But we are getting way off topic now.
    I have read the history and not the Wikipedia kind.
    The Pallestinians were as equally as screwed by the Turks as they were by the Jews with people laying claim to their land and selling it out from beneath them.
    You can't call it a "Swamp" it was farm land and cities

Norman Finkelstein, Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict; George W. Ball & Douglas B. Ball, The Passionate Attachment, on p. 29: quotes a message from future prime minister Menachem Begin, head of the Irgun Zionist terrorist group, commending them on the grisly massacre of women, children, and old men at the village of Deir Yassin: “’Accept my congratulations on this splendid act of conquest. Convey my regards to all the commanders and soldiers. We shake your hands. We are all proud of the excellent leadership and the fighting spirit in this great attack. We stand to attention in memory of the slain. We lovingly shake the hands of the wounded. Tell the soldiers: you have made history in Israel with your attack and your conquest. Continue thus until victory. As in Deir Yassin, so everywhere, we will attack and smite the enemy. God, God, Thou has chosen us for conquest.’”

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palestine in 1948 is not the same as Palestine in 1850, which was my original point. I didn't say it was a wasteland in 1948. You say it was farms and cities... who do you think built those farms and cities? They weren't there during the hey day of the Ottoman Empire. What happened between the late 1800s and early 1900's? Mass Jewish immigration. Most of todays Palestinians are descended from Arabs who came from surrounding countries for the economic advantage that was being provided by Jews.

Okay... so let's get it out, Irgun gang, Stern gang, King David Hotel, USS Liberty, Norman fucking Finkelstein lol.... its almost as if its every bullshit anti-Israel trope in one post. Didn't you forget to call me a European Khazar?
    Last edited by Haynus_Aynus; 05-26-2015 at 02:18 PM.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, The USS Liberty is a legit beef.

“You do not represent Palestine as much as we do. Never forget this one point: There is no such thing as a Palestinian people, there is no Palestinian entity, there is only Syria. You are an integral part of the Syrian people, Palestine is an integral part of Syria. Therefore it is we, the Syrian authorities, who are the true representatives of the Palestinian people.” Yasser Arafat.

Straight from the horses' mouth....Still not convinced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3n5-yG-6dU

And THIS is from a guy who passed information to Hezbollah.

Until early 1960's the only "Palestinians" were the Jewish people. Prior to that, the Arab people of the region considered "Palestinian" to be an insult. They considered themselves Arabs. Identifying themselves now as "Palestinian" is 100% a propaganda move.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donald Trump, probably.

Ivan Koloff Girl southrnbygrace's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama by a wide margin for me. Jimmy Carter is a distant second. And not because of what they did, but because they basically didn't do anything.

Banner by edgehead73
    Icon by buffygirl52789

vCash
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southrnbygrace View Post
    Obama by a wide margin for me. Jimmy Carter is a distant second. And not because of what they did, but because they basically didn't do anything.
    I know it's futile talking to you but I'll try anyway.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like so what? Who cares if the liberal media can make up 400 random accomplishments. Have you seen him? A black man as president? Not in my country!!!

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were people sleeping between 2000-2008?
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bush was a great president who lead our country to unseen heights in the earliest years of the 21st century.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Thread Information