Thread: WWE Looking to Partner with ESPN?

Default WWE Looking to Partner with ESPN?

A Day In The Life Of Triple H, WWE Special Coming To ESPN?

Triple H is looking to “cozy up” to ESPN in hopes that over time, WWE will be treated with more respect by some of the mainstream media.

We’re not talking highlights on SportsCenter but Hunter does feel like a good relationship with ESPN would mean more exposure. He gave ESPN the exclusive in breaking the news that Bruno Sammartino had accepted WWE’s offer to be inducted into their Hall of Fame as the beginning of what he is hoping will be a friendly relationship with them.

ESPN cameras have actually been filming Hunter recently in hopes of doing a “day in the life” type piece on him. The idea would be to provide a “behind the scenes” documentary type feature to show viewers what it’s like running a major franchise like WWE, especially for a guy that is new on the job.

This is all part of WWE’s plan to position Hunter as a more respectable leader in the eyes of the mainstream media, as Vince McMahon’s aggressive demeanor over the course of decades has resulted in quite a few enemies.

Side Note: A partnership with ESPN would be amazing and HUGE for the WWE. With guys like Rock, Lesnar and Cena already having mainstream exposure outside of wrestling and with HHH continually turning water out of wine with some his business deals lately this could be the start of a 3rd wrestling BOOM for the WWE if they play their cards right with ESPN. That would just mean more positive mainstream exposure.

Source: WNW Premium News
    A "Day in the life of Triple H" documentary would be awesome to see.

I think a partnership with ESPN would be great...but I think suggesting this could start a 3rd wrestling boom is perhaps exaggerating slightly because they need to improve the quality of their programming for that to happen imo. However, it would potentially open up WWE to a newer audience and show them in a more respected light to a much wider audience.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Default Re: WWE Looking to Partner with ESPN?

This makes a lot of sense really, and is something which I've kinda expected ever since Coach and Grisham went to ESPN. A lot of the other ESPN anchors like Robert Flores and Tony Reali are wrestling fans as well. A wrestling boom is obviously stretching it a bit...doesn't WNW pay attention to the Did You Know? when they brag about Raw outrating all the NBA and MLB games on ESPN?

There's lots of things that I don't like about Triple H as a performer, but it's hard to argue with a lot of things that he's done so far in the office. He seems to have a lot of good ideas to move WWE forward into the future.

Banned

This is awesome. But as miss HHH said they really need too improve there shows if they want mainstream exposure. They need more compelling story lines and they need too give raw and Smackdown a bit off a edge. They need there programming too be exciting edgy and unpredictable. And mainly they need too give the mid card guys interesting characters instead off making them job out too randy orton every week.

Hi all.

In the early days of ESPN in the 80's, ESPN aired NWA Wrestling. You can find old clips of where Eric Bischoff was an Announcer/Interviewer. Maybe if WWE were to form some type of partnership with ESPN it would help the WWE launch their own network. ESPN has allot of viewers so they would be able to attract or or even bring back fans who are not connected with the WWE or have not watched the WWE for a while.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I hope this is true. That would be so awesome.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

And let's not forget that The Coach and Todd Grisham, who got their starts in the WWE, now work at ESPN.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

I cant think of one negative thing this would bring. Awesome idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

This would be interesting to see how far this actually goes. Currently ESPN no longer stands for anything but the E was entertainment so that could work out. What will they actually do with this is a huge question. Will it be made into normal programming, like the World Series or Poker or more like a one time thing? I do not think this could be bad for wrestling fans, but I can see mainstream sport fans being angry about this. These would be the people that are currently pissed off that ESPN broadcast poker. Having two different programs that angers a large group of viewers would be a serious risk for ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by sab5118 View Post
    This would be interesting to see how far this actually goes. Currently ESPN no longer stands for anything but the E was entertainment so that could work out. What will they actually do with this is a huge question. Will it be made into normal programming, like the World Series or Poker or more like a one time thing? I do not think this could be bad for wrestling fans, but I can see mainstream sport fans being angry about this. These would be the people that are currently pissed off that ESPN broadcast poker. Having two different programs that angers a large group of viewers would be a serious risk for ESPN.
    I don't think they'd necessarily show programming...but even if WWE can become more featured on their website I think that would be a big deal for them.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Banned

Surely this documentary will look like old Undertaker vignettes where the Phenom talks about burying people alive.

Although the WWE is already somewhat on the ESPN website, that Grantland dude has something similar to a WWE powerranking feature.

It would be awesome to turn on ESPN and see highlights of Wrestlemania, well Atleast the big matches.

Thread Information