Thread: Just Curious

Default Just Curious

When did you stop believing wrestling was real (if you ever believed it was real, that is). When you did find out its not real, did u enjoy it more, less or equally? Me I probably stopped towards my last years of high school. Yes I know, I'm embarrassed just saying it. And for a while I didn't enjoy it anymore. But stuck with it til I started appreciating the wrestling side of it. I still enjoy a good fued and a good storyline though.

Default Re: Just Curious

My friends dad spoiled it for me when I was way young, like 10 or 11. I don't remember changing my perspective on it. I told someone at work the other day that I watched Raw and he asked "Isnt that Fake?" - There is no real way to answer that question, and being a biased wrestling fan its gotta be one of the dumbest questions I've heard an adult ask.

I remember I was like 12 when I found out Shawn Michaels wasn't his real name.

Banner Credit: Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    My friends dad spoiled it for me when I was way young, like 10 or 11. I don't remember changing my perspective on it. I told someone at work the other day that I watched Raw and he asked "Isnt that Fake?" - There is no real way to answer that question, and being a biased wrestling fan its gotta be one of the dumbest questions I've heard an adult ask.

I remember I was like 12 when I found out Shawn Michaels wasn't his real name.
    For a while when someone ask me that or even suggests that its fake, I would often enter into a debate which I often won by simple pointing out all those things that looked very real eg like someone bleeding or injured. And I would find ways to explain those suspicious looking things in it

I knew it was scripted before I was even a fan. But I hate the word "fake" especially when its used by non-fans. I find that word to be far too small and petty when describing the pain and danger wrestlers face.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

Banned

Sometime in the summer of 1998, as I recall. I kinda 'knew' it was put on, but it was a matter of admitting it to myself. When I watched the The Untold Real Story Of Professional Wrestling in 1998 and they straight out said wrestling was fake, I'd no choice but to admit it to myself.

I was somewhat relieved because I could see the signs and was thinking to myself "how could I be so stupid?" and I personally felt it opened up the creative envelope a little more knowing it was all scripted. There's a lot more that can be done in that environment than if it was real.

I used to imagine that even though the wrestlers were working together they somehow determined the winner on the fly, like by who was doing the best in the match . It was pretty obvious that the punches were often missing so I knew the fix was in, plus in the UK people seemed very quick to shout fake back in the day. I was probably about 13/14 when I decided it was fully fixed and then started reading wrestling books, Flairs I remember being the first to talk about a booker and being given a finish.

I remember my bus driver overhearing a few of us talking about wrestling on the bus when I was in fourth grade. That b!tch told us it was "fake' and that were gullible to believe in it. SO, that's how I found out.

As far as dealing with people who ask you if you know its fake, I've got a simple response for them. I ask them what their favorite television show is. Let's say they tell me their favorite show is NCIS. I would respond by saying "You know that Agent Gibbs is really named Mark Harmon and he isn't even a real NCIS agent, right?". When they ask me why I would ask them such a stupid question I explain that it is no dumber than what they just asked me about wrestling. They are people playing characters on a scripted television show. Raw isn't any more "fake" than NCIS. Oh, and if they tell me their favorite show is a reality show like American Idol or Survivor than I just laugh at them and point out that wrestling fans know that the competition in the ring is scripted while most Idol or Survivor fans are gullible enough to believe that those shows aren't scripted or fixed. They all are. Hell, Idol even admitted that their voting is rigged.

I learned when I was really young not like I cared I continued to enjoy the Japanese wrestling tapes with my dad but could not stand American wrestling.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    Sometime in the summer of 1998, as I recall. I kinda 'knew' it was put on, but it was a matter of admitting it to myself. When I watched the The Untold Real Story Of Professional Wrestling in 1998 and they straight out said wrestling was fake, I'd no choice but to admit it to myself.

I was somewhat relieved because I could see the signs and was thinking to myself "how could I be so stupid?" and I personally felt it opened up the creative envelope a little more knowing it was all scripted. There's a lot more that can be done in that environment than if it was real.
    I remember that program, and it certainly made me respect wrestling more. Its funny how people who know nothing about wrestling will accuse wrestlers of using packs of fake blood or fake chairs.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    I learned when I was really young not like I cared I continued to enjoy the Japanese wrestling tapes with my dad but could not stand American wrestling.
    What about American wrestling could you not stand?

Banner Credit: Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    What about American wrestling could you not stand?
    Everything not named macho man or jake Roberts, but I specially disliked The Ultimate Warrior and Hogan, hell I was like 4 years old and I thought they were too childish for me.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Wrestlings not real?

For me, it came at a very young age. First, it was Santa Claus. Then the Easter Bunny. And finally, pro-wrestling. All within a month's time. What a sad time for me, just before my 5th birthday.

Wrestling is not fake, it is scripted. No matter how a wrestler takes a bump from a suplex, bodyslam, whatever, it doesn't feel fake.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

My dad told me wrestling was fake when I was 8 or 9 because he never liked wrestling and I guess he thought my brother and I were watching too much of it. I tried not believing him for a while but it soon became pretty obvious. Then I didn't care if it was fake because it was still awesome.

I still think "wrestling is fake!" is a pretty terrible argument for why it "sucks." 99% of TV shows and movies are fake too. Yet you don't have a bunch of jackasses running around telling you it sucks because it's fake.

Before I started watching it. Can't remember how exactly, may have been when I was at my cousins and they had rented out Mr. Nanny. Through that movie, I learned about Hogan and they may have mentioned something about him being from Professional Wrestling and stressed that it was a fake sport.

That, or my dad warned me it was fake before I got really hooked around mid-99. I still remember getting teased by my Nana for marking out when Nash powerbombed Hogan through an announcer's table. It was like, woman, I love you and all, but let me enjoy my rasslin!

I started watching WCW in like 97. My uncle would pop in and tell me that shit is fake. He used to enjoy "torturing" me when I was younger. I was probably about 8 years old.

I cant remember a time I did not know it was fake. Wrestling psycology makes no sense. It was either believe all the wrestlers fought like retards or it was not real. I could write a book 1001 sarcastic responses to someone telling you wrestlings fake. My dad was a dick and would tell me wrestling is fake every opportunity he got just because he knew it annoyed me. Sometimes 5-10 times per show depending on how many times he passed by me watching it. My usual responses were "Its more real than Star Trek", "If I was trying to watch something real I would watch the news", and "Did you know Star Trek isnt real?".

Banned

My brother and dad actually told me that all the time when I was little, before I even really watched. They were kinda dicks.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I believe it was around 92, I was a little boy in 4th grade I think, who had been watching for a few years at this point and already had my doubts about the legitimacy of pro wrestling when I watched WM 8 and had all doubt removed.

Undertaker gave the fakest tombstone of all time to Jake the Snake Roberts outside of the ring, where Roberts's head was so far away from Taker's knees that it wasn't even close to hitting the floor.

I remember thinking that looked so fake, why do they keep showing the replay when you could totally see that there was no way he actually hit the ground.

And from that point on I was certain it was all an act.

I think that hooked me for life as a fan, the fact that I was in on this secret and that this was no more real than the cartoons and comic books that I watched and read.

I was happy it was "fake", it made it so much more fun to watch and speculate about, something that still applies for me to this day.

I wouldn't hold nearly as much interest for me without it being a work.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

I remember back in the day, I really thought Austin and Vince really hated each other.

Thread Information