Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Kofi Kingston Lose The US Championship To?

Banned

Default Who Should Kofi Kingston Lose The US Championship To?

Some people were somewhat upset when Caesro lost the US Title to an almost irrelevant (at this point) mid carder like Kofi after such a long US Title reign. But speculation is that Kofi is just a transitional champion, a baby face given the title just so he can drop it to another heel that the WWE prefers as champ over Caesro at the moment. It seems to me it could be one of three people, all whom I think are plausible:

Big E Langston - A couple of weeks ago, didn't Ziggler defeat Kofi and then have that followed up by Langston dropping him with The Big Ending? With Ziggler as WHC and AJ the #1 contender for the Diva's Title, I saw this as a possible setup for Langston winning the US Title soon, so that all three could have titles. This seemed to go nowhere but they could always go back to it. Just have Big E win a #1 contender's match (maybe a battle royal) and you're set.

Roman Reigns - An obvious choice, considering The Shield are starting to go after gold for the first time with the tag team titles. Ambrose and Rollins are reported as being the chosen ones to defeat Team Hell No, so perhaps Reigns is the chosen one to crush Kofi for the US Title, since Kofi is now getting involved with The Shield.

Jack Swagger - The racist All-American who hates (along with his racist uncle Zeb) anything non-America or foreign to his and their home country. Perhaps after failing to win the WHC, Kofi is out there after a title defense for the US Title giving a promo, and is interrupted by Zeb Coulter. Zeb says the only thing worse than not capturing the WHC is seeing a guy from a whole different continent walking around proud to call himself the UNITED STATES Champion. Feud begins, with Swagger taking the title and then Zeb cutting a promo about how this is now the most important title to the WWE now because of it's namesake and that Swagger and he will fight to the death (figuratively) to defend any foreigners or Americans with twisted morale trying to win the championship from them and taint its prestige.

All three are interesting scenarios - Langston being a champ along with Ziggler and AJ, Reigns being a champ along with Ambrose and Rollins, or Swagger being a champ to show everyone what a true United States Champion should be. Who do you think would be best? Or perhaps someone has another contender for winning the title, in which case feel free to spell it out.

Default Re: Who Should Kofi Kingston Lose The US Championship To?

Big E. I like the idea of ZigELee all having gold, especially after all the times we've had to watch Dolph lose despite Langston and AJ's desperate interference. I think they it could be a really fun storyline with all three having championships. Langston isn't the greatest wrestler or anything, but it's obvious they could be doing a lot more with him and his partnership with Ziggler and AJ.

I know Fandango was rumored to win the belt but I really hope he doesn't. I can't help but feel they are forcing things with him because of the buzz the 4/8 Raw crowd generated, and having his first title win occur by beating Kofi - who is a transitional champion and was irrelevant before the random title change - would reinforce that feeling.

surrender

Banned

After the physicality between Ambrose and Kofi this week, why isn't he being talked about here?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Coco View Post
    After the physicality between Ambrose and Kofi this week, why isn't he being talked about here?
    I agree, i think best case scenario is Ambrose winning the US Title and the other two winning the tag titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I agree, i think best case scenario is Ambrose winning the US Title and the other two winning the tag titles.
    This. Would be a nice feud with the Shield vs Hell No and Kofi.

Banned

Best case scenario, Ambrose might win it.

Worst case, Swagger just so he can keep pretending he's Cpt. America.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Coco View Post
    I think Ambrose is already above the US Title. The US Title isn't a belt with any meaning anymore. Why would the Shield want it, unless they're just trying to win a bunch of titles.

I'd rather see Big E win it because at least that would have some purpose with that crew trying to win a bunch of gold. Otherwise, I dont care who he loses to.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Ambrose will get the US Title and Rollins and Reigns the Tag Titles. Reigns isn't ready to hold a singles title. And Ambrose is the unofficial leader of the Shield so he's the one who's gonna get it.

Banned

i wouldn't be shocked if Barrett became a Dual champ.

Banned

It would be nice seeing Shield grab every title but Cena's just to claim dominance. And then of course target Cena, which hopefully ends with Ambrose as WWE Champion.

I could be wrong, but I recall a report from Meltzer, that suggested the reason Kofi won the belt was to act as a transitional champion for Fandango.

Which isn't really a bad option. It's a sad indictment of the US Championship, but I believe if Ambrose won the title, it'd be something of a step-back.

Hmm I think Fandango's stock is rapidly dropping so I doubt he'd get the belt. Ambrose/Reigns seems like a good shout, as does Big E. Wouldn't surprise me if Cesaro ends up taking it back though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKid View Post
    This. Would be a nice feud with the Shield vs Hell No and Kofi.
    Ambrose should beat kofi for the title. Then kofi has his rematch on smackdown in a losing effort. Then kofi should just disappear. And comeback with a new character.
    Because i am so damn sick off his character. I am tired off him coming out off know where and winning the midcard belts. Everytime I hear his entrance music I just turn the tv off in anger
    Last edited by The Spear; 05-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

A member of the Shield. That's it. The interaction this past friday pretty much points towards some sort of multi-title match at ER.

I'd say Ambrose, since he's been having singles matches lately, but then again, having any of them win it would make them appear to be the leader.

Spoiler

Last Call

Rather than have The Shield defend the tag titles under a Freebird Rule, they should treat the US and Tag Titles as a Six Man Tag Team Championships of sorts. It's not an angle that would have to last forever, but between The Shield and 3MB, there have been a lot of six man tags lately, and quite frankly, I have found them entertaining as hell. They're refreshing compared to tag team and singles matches because it seems like WWE doesn't have a generic formula for them. I'd love to see The Shield defend the US and Tag Titles as a Six Man Tag Team Championship for awhile until it has run its course then just have tag titles and a US title again....It's not like they're do anything with any of those championships anyways.
    Vote godAM and WrestlingMVP for TT KOTF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think Ambrose is already above the US Title. The US Title isn't a belt with any meaning anymore. Why would the Shield want it, unless they're just trying to win a bunch of titles.
    I agree, but do the Powers That Be have the nuts to throw the WWE Championship on Ambrose within the next six months? I doubt it. As such, I expect Ambrose is coming for the US title.

I'm finding it hard to justify Ambrose being above the US title. Give it time and he definitely will be but at the moment is a guy who relies on two other people really above a midcard title? I'm just not seeing it yet.

Thanks Heteroflexible

No way is he above the US Championship. The Shield as a unit definitely is, but not any one individual member. They have been shown to be beatable on their own. Highly skilled and effective? Yes. Weak? No. But beatable. Dean holding singles gold will be a huge boost for him, and having a well-booked US Champion will do wonders for the midcard.

Other alternatives ...

Swagger is a no. He'd be perfect storyline-wise and character-wise, but Jake Hager doesn't deserve a push of any sort. The fact that he's still in the world title hunt is bad enough. Do not give him an actual title, even the US Championship.

Big E. Langston would be interesting, but I'd rather he remain more of a background figure who occasionally has matches. He's not exactly ready for anything except squash matches, right? So as much as I like Big E. as he is now ... let's just leave him as he is now and slowly build him up as he improves. While having a monster hold a title is usually a good thing both for the division and for whoever eventually defeats him, he is not ready for that role. (I love how we always complain about WWE pushing talentless hosses, until one comes along that we like despite his lack of in-ring ability. We clamor for him to be pushed to the moon, and when WWE does, we turn on him because he sucks.)

How about Damien Sandow? The guy needs some gold. He's great on the mic, entertaining in the ring. He deserves to be pushed, as does Cody. But seeing as Cody has already dominated the midcard for years, off and on, why not give the scholar of the team a shot? I just wish they'd strap a rocket to Cody and build him into the main event spot he's so rightly earned.

Other than that, or backpedaling and putting the belt back on Cesaro (who never should have lost it the way he did), there really aren't many options for WWE at this point. The entire midcard is in shambles right now.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Dean Ambrose is definitely above the US Title in my eyes. If Ambrose and Kofi had a singles match, Ambrose would be the clear favourite. He hung with The Undertaker of all people, and defeated Kane. I can't see Kofi Kingston doing that right now.

Kofi's booking is so erratic that I can see what you mean, but the guy has hung with the best of them and has been built up as someone who can beat anyone at any time with Trouble In Paradise. And just because Dean would be a favorite to win doesn't mean he's above the title.

PW WrestleMania XI

It's a tough one because he's had so little exposure as a singles competitor that it's not a ridiculous idea by any stretch, but if I was booking I would probably steer clear of it for two reasons: one, I don't like the Shield with a singles title, and two, eventually he will have to lose to someone below his level, which again is something I wouldn't want to do.

I wouldn't mind Dean holding the US Championship while Rollins and Reigns hold the tag team titles. It would make the group look like an even bigger deal and show that they have more motivation than simply attacking everyone they can. But they'd have to keep the titles on them until such a time comes that the group is breaking up, or he'd have to lose to a floater like Jericho.

PW WrestleMania XI

Tbh I don't think it fits their ethos to chase gold. Maybe if they were chasing world titles it would fall under the 'justice' ethos that they stand for, but kayfabe-wise they can't make a significant difference winning mid-card titles, and so instead it makes them appear more like a gold-hungry Evolution or Four Horsemen, which I really, really hope they don't become. I don't want one guy above any other.

I'm all for putting the mid-card titles on guys that matter, but I want them on the Sheamus' and Orton's of this world as opposed to a highly story-driven character like a member of the Shield, where winning is so important to their momentum.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David*Dream* View Post
    Give it time and he definitely will be but at the moment is a guy who relies on two other people really above a midcard title?
    Ask Dolph Ziggler fans.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I'd like to see it on Ambrose, but it would seem like a step back for him. Maybe it could regain some credibility for the title though.

Fandango and Big E both are good options too.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Thread Information