Thread: Heel Josh Mathews

Default Heel Josh Mathews

So this came completely out of nowhere in the Smackdown Main Event, but I liked it a lot. The commentary in WWE is just abysmally awful at the moment, and it has been for years, and a decent heel announcer is definitely needed (and no, Michael Cole wasn't decent).

For those who didn't see it, Josh all of a sudden cracked the shits with Cole discussing the Cena/Ryback match, and called Cole a Cena "homer" and that he's just the same as JR used to be with Stone Cold. He then went into complete Ryback overdrive saying that he's absolutely going to win the WWE Championship - it was incredibly refreshing.

I really hope this is something that sticks. The three man booth on Smackdown is completely redundant with Josh and Cole sharing the PBP, so this is something that will definitely shake it up. Josh has paid his dues long enough now that he should get to play a character, and if he continues to be good at playing the heel then ultimately the dream would be for him to replace Lawler on Raw who continues to be completely fucking awful, and continually carving out new depths week after week with his disgustingly unfunny and offensive jokes.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: Heel Josh Mathews

Wait, WHAT?!

I gots to see dis, dawg.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Damn it I fast forwarded through the main event and then deleted the show. I'll have to record the replay tomorrow and see it now. Interesting.

It was actually pretty awkward. It came out of nowhere. One minute, Josh was his usual self. The next minute, he's talking about how Ryback is definitely winning the title, telling Cole to shut up about Cena, and griping about how Cole is just as bad as JR and his "Stone Cold! Stone Cold! Stone Cold!" crap. It was weird.

I honestly can't see Josh Mathews--meek, nerdy Josh Mathews--playing the heel role and sticking with it. If anything, they need to just let JBL heel it up some more because that guy is absolute gold in the role of heel color commentator. I just wish I knew why they were obsessed with having Cole on both programs.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Banned

I was always kinda bummed that Mathews never got to use his announcing abilities because he was always getting drowned out by Cole/Booker/JBL's screaming bullshit. So if he's now got a personality to make people notice him, that should be interesting.

I noticed how he was acting but a heel turn didn't cross my mind. The "STONE COLD! STONE COLD!" bit from Josh was pretty funny though.

I think Josh does a good job as the "straight man" of the booth, so if he turned, we would be losing that role - though Cole does somewhat provide that now that he's a face again, but not as effectively/believable as Mathews. But maybe a heel turn could be a breath of fresh air for the commentary, as long as they don't force it and overpush it like they do with Cole. But something is telling me JBL would make things go overboard by having loud arguments with Josh.
    Last edited by LS; 05-11-2013 at 01:29 AM.

surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wallaby View Post
    I honestly can't see Josh Mathews--meek, nerdy Josh Mathews--playing the heel role and sticking with it.
    That's going to be kinda the point though if they stick with it. Josh is so sick of constantly having his opinions put down by JBL (and I think just before Josh went off on Cole, JBL make fun of Josh saying something like "But John Cena has to stop Ryback getting up before a ten count if he wants to retain the title!" when it was a perfectly reasonable comment) that he just doesn't care anymore. Just because he's small doesn't mean he can't be obnoxious - if anything that ought to help.

It did seem out of nowhere, but it would make sense that he would have just gotten so sick of Cole being biased that it caused him to lose his temper - because they were acting like Ryback had no chance against Cena, while he was basically dominating Jericho.

Fuck the SF Giants! :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

I have not seen it yet, so I can't really say if he did a good job or not.

However, what I will say is that I think it would be refreshing to have Josh as a heel commentator. It would be something different and it would give him help him stand out. He is the best commentator in the WWE, so I think he could do a good job as the heel commentator. Him being tired of getting made fun of by JBL and getting talked over and deciding he has finally had enough of it and speaking up could make the commentating far more intersting that it has been in a long time.

I was going to skip Ryback/Jericho, but now I will have to give it a watch to see this.

surrender

Ryback vs Jericho is a match worth checking out fwiw. I've been impressed with Ryback in these longer matches the past couple of weeks. Obviously working with all time greats like Bryan and Jericho helps, but he's been doing more than enough good stuff by himself.

I'm cool with it if they don't go overboard with it and let JBL play more of a tweener.

Two full heel color commentators isn't something I really need.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

HR, I agree with you to a point. Josh could pull it off, but there's a huge difference between personality and character. And I'm not sure Josh has the the right personality to pull of a heel character. I could very well be wrong, of course.

The big issue in this, though, is that it came out of nowhere and was just part of the background noise. No inciting incident (and no, Cole's commentary doesn't count) and no real attention brought to it. It was like someone flipped a switch during the main event. One minute, Normal Josh; next minute, Dick Josh. If the heel turn isn't done believably, and remains part of the background noise of the show anyway, it won't get over and it'll end up fading away.

Champ: I think JBL's been playing a tweener this whole time. Then again, he's the only heel commentator they've had in years who understand that even if he's badmouthing a guy, it's also his job to put them over.

PW WrestleMania XI

Let's just hope we don't get Michael Cole defending his WrestleMania streak against Josh next year.

Bender

Why would anyone even think that? Oh God, the horror! THE HORROR!!!

I didn't order the last two WrestleManias. If they build to Cole-Mathews, I'm extending that streak.

PW WrestleMania XI

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wallaby View Post
    The big issue in this, though, is that it came out of nowhere and was just part of the background noise. No inciting incident (and no, Cole's commentary doesn't count) and no real attention brought to it. It was like someone flipped a switch during the main event. One minute, Normal Josh; next minute, Dick Josh. If the heel turn isn't done believably, and remains part of the background noise of the show anyway, it won't get over and it'll end up fading away.
    I can see what you're saying, but does there really need to be a whole lot of reasoning behind it? It might not even be a full heel turn, just that Josh is sick of everyone talking down Ryback as if he has no chance against Cena. It doesn't need to be that radical if Josh is just going to support Ryback, because really it's not like Ryback has done anything even remotely evil.

And I don't think "getting over" comes in to it at any point really. He's a commentator. Searching for a crowd reaction was why heel Cole got so unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    I can see what you're saying, but does there really need to be a whole lot of reasoning behind it? It might not even be a full heel turn, just that Josh is sick of everyone talking down Ryback as if he has no chance against Cena.
    No one was doing that, though. I just watched it, and Cole and JBL were putting over Ryback fine, but also putting over Cena's determination and refusal to quit.

Bender

There's a huge difference between getting a character over, and trying to get a character nuclear heat by being as obnoxious and offensive as possible. Cole was "over" as a heel on NXT long before they transitioned him to Raw and made him unbearable to listen to--or watch. But WWE should work to get every on-screen performer with an established character over to some degree or other. Otherwise, there's no point in giving them a character.

And actually, Ryback's been a whiny brat, taken cheap shots at other guys (like suckerpunching Jericho during the Highlight Reel), assaulted the top face after he'd been beaten down by others, and acted as heelish as any other average bad guy on WWE television. It's not just Josh siding with a heel, it's Josh putting down his broadcast colleagues in a disrespectful and heelish fashion while supporting Ryback. He was heelish in his delivery, and it was completely out of character for him.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like there to be storyline development to inspire character change, not just random character changes because someone backstage felt like it.

PW WrestleMania XI

Thread Information