Thread: Dixie Carter: Hogan most recognizable person in the world

Default Dixie Carter: Hogan most recognizable person in the world

Wrestling Inc

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...#ixzz2SO7Kr59g

TNA President Dixie Carter recently spoke to BANG Showbiz, via AZCentral.com, and discussed the importance of Hulk Hogan to TNA. Carter noted that Hogan was the most famous wrestler in the world, and his fame rivals the late Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

"He (Hulk) is bigger than any brand, company, name - he is synonymous with wrestling and is probably one of the most recognisable faces or figures on the entire planet. Name me someone who is alive today who'd be more recognisable in any corner of the world? In places like Africa and Asia, or if you were walking in Thailand? Princess Diana or Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley maybe? But they aren't even with us anymore. The Rock?

"Well, if you are walking in a village in Africa would people know who The Rock was? I think his film work has been outstanding. I'm a huge fan of The Rock, I think he is phenomenal, but would that happen?"
    First Thing, Rock while being a celebrity can still be useful to a wrestling company cause he's young enough that he can wrestle. Hogan cannot do it. They could center any storylines around him, the fact remains that he can't be a productive wrestling talent so all he can achieve is make a commish/figure-head more important than the wrestlers that should fight for top spots not named Bully Ray. They can't fight their own battles and become stars of their own. The whole Matt Morgan bullshit with Hogan is the perfect example that simple booking would have made it better: Don't involved Hogan. Have Aces & 8s in the ring trash talking and saying they have beat everyone, we hear Morgan's music, he steps up to the plate, confront Bully, instant buzz around him. He becomes the big tough dude that's gonna put the war on them.

Second thing, Hogan is a legend and big name in the industry but he's just badly used by TNA to matter and make them more successful because of him. Hogan could be used to promote TNA better, go on talk shows, get the name outthere and so forth. This has never happened. Instead they decides to put his old ass in storylines wich hurts the product. Again he is HULK HOGAN(!!!) yes, but they don't use him to his strenght. People don't want to see the old Babe Ruth on his least legs still trying to make it. It's just pathetic.

Default Re: Dixie Carter: Hogan most recognizable person in the world

People say Dixie doesn't understand the wrestling business.

By the looks of this interview, she's doing ridiculously hyperbolic hype with the best of them, sounds like somebody who knows her stuff to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
    When djm is telling you to wait and see, you really do need calm yo ass.
    Calm yo ass down, worrying about Cesaro.

Banned

She is telling the truth, as crazy as it may sound. Not even Rock or Stone Cold is as recognizable around the world as Hulk.

He may have lost it big time but he's still and forever will be the biggest star to ever walk through the wrestling business. She's just giving respect where it's due. Vince would say thesame thing
    Last edited by 123 Kid; 05-09-2013 at 12:21 AM.

You say the Rock and more people will know him from movies than they do wrestling at this point. You say Stone Cold Steve Austin and even fewer will know him (its true and you know it) You say Hogan and everyone knows him and its thats how it will always be even when he is finally retired and dead.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

While Hulk Hogan is one of the most recognizable persons in the world... He's about as relevant as the Pet Rock these days...

Oh, and all his name recognition has done very little for TNA...

Banned

There is no doubting Hogan is one of the biggest names in the business - but to say he is up there with Michael Jackson or Elvis in terms of popularity... (yes this was implied)Lol! We're in an age where Hogan is irrelevant, simply because Hogan has MADE Hogan irrelevant.

So is Dennis Rodman.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

I don't know many people who couldn't pick Hulk out of a line up so there is some truth to it.

Lots of people know The Rock and even Austin.

EVERYBODY knows Hogan. He is the defenition of a household name

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

So...people in African villages know who Hogan is but not Rock? I don't get it. Did they used to have TV in the 80s and early 90s and then it suddenly went away starting the late 90s?

Hell, I bet more people in these African villages who who Natalya and Alicia Fox (they went to Africa recently) are than they do Hogan, or Rock for that matter.

Dearest Dixie, there's a difference between people knowing someone and people caring about someone. People know about Hitler but they don't care about him. If they did, well...

Is Hogan the biggest name? Yes. But if there was a measure of recognition and Hogan was the benchmark at 100, then The Rock would be between 95 and 98 easily. And that's just considering people in their mid-20s to early 30s. If you ask younger folks, Rock would definitely be the bigger star since he's still relevant and would be more known.

One of the most recognisable faces on the planet. On planet America maybe. Neither of them come close to worldwide recognition.

Banned

Hogan came in an era when television programming wasn't as polarized as it is today and when the business was still at the peak of kayfabe. Unlike Rock, he did wrestled all over the world. He became the biggest name in the business and his longevity at it eclipsed Rock and Stone Cold combined. His popularity spanned over 3 decades, meaning everybody and their mama knows who Hulk Hogan is, meaning your father and probably his father knows who Hulk is. Whether anyone cared about him at this point is completely irrelevant.

Shit, I remember one of my african friend's dad telling me and his son stories of how a lot of people back in Nigeria in the 70's and the 80's use be in awe of Hulk Hogan.

You may not like the guy (as i don't either) but he made wrestling what it is.
    Last edited by 123 Kid; 05-09-2013 at 08:39 AM.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

I actually agree that hes right up there. I could walk up to some old woman in my town, a French town, a Japanese town and an Australian town and I would feel fairly confident that they will have heard of and/or recognise Hulk Hogan. The guy is a household name in every sense of the word

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Lots of people know The Rock and even Austin.

EVERYBODY knows Hogan. He is the defenition of a household name

Exactly...

Anyone who says otherwise is either straight up lying or had no access to any media the last 30yrs. "Couldn't pick Hogan out of a lineup" my ass.

Banned

Hogan has been known worldwide since the mid-80's. Most recognizable ever? No way. In wrestling? Yes, he is the single most recognizable face in pro wrestling history.

#IndependenceDayIsWar Franchise's Avatar

I would have to agree with Dixie.

There may be a few others i.e. Barack Obama more recognizable but certainly Hogan is one of the most recognizable.

Well if you ask people who Moses is, a lot of people will know who he is too. Not necessarily because they believe in him but because he's ancient, kind of like Hogan. I really fail to see what, if anything, Hogan has brought to TNA. His initial impact (no pun) was a negative one. Since he brought his particular brand of poison to TNA, they have recovered and I'd even say there has been moderate growth but I don't attribute any growth to Hogan's presence.

He probably is the most recognizable wrestler in the world but not the most recognizable person. Even though they are presidents of a single country most recent US presidents are more well known.

And when most older people hear Hogan name they don't say how great he is it is usually he is still wrestling or he is still around(implying they thought he was dead)

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

The question is, so what if he's recognized the World over?

It's like she's trying to justify the fact that he's with TNA.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Based on other Dixie interviews, it seems like she just places a lot of stock in name recognition. Why? Who knows. Maybe she just likes hanging out with people everyone knows?

The PW World Champion Mr. Victorino's Avatar

I believe their is some truth to this, but I also feel Dixie is overdoing it aswell.

Haters call Bryan Danielson a goat face huh ? In that case we fans say G.O.A.T. = Greatest Of All Time !!!!!

Banned

The Hulkster is without question the most globally known wrestler in history, but only three men are known to everybody including African villagers: Jesus, Superman, and Muhammad Ali.

Hogan is easily the most recognisable pro wrestler in the world to people of all ages, ask people of a certain age in any part of the world and they will all name him if asked to mention a pro wrestler, ask them about Cena and they wouldn't have a clue who he is and you could say it's best they didn't

I love Hogan, he's still great on the mic and brings so much emotion that even when wrestled Sting a few years back as a heel he got massive pops and when he turned face the reaction was immense, I cheered like never before when he turned face to help Sting, no other wrestler can elicit the emotions he brings out in people whether positive or negative, he truly is the best of all time whether you like it or not and helped turn pro wrestling into big business.

Thread Information