Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Heavyweight Championship = Intercontinental Title?

Default World Heavyweight Championship = Intercontinental Title?

Back in the day, the Intercontinental Title was always built as the secondary title to the WWE(F) Championship, and it was very much known as the 'workers', belt, with guys like Savage, Hennig, and Hart carrying it.

With the past two World Heavyweight Champions in Del Rio and Ziggler, and the company putting the WWE Championship back on Cena as the face of the company, I can't help but get the sense that the World Heavyweight Championship is now what the Intercontinental Title used to be - a secondary championship used for guys who deserved a title, just not the big one. I realize that Del Rio was the WWE Champ at one point though, but I can't see him going back there any time soon.

As much as the WWE has tried to equalize the two world titles, I think we all know that the World Heavyweight will always take a back seat. And with this year being the 50th Anniversary of the WWE Championship, I can't ever see that changing now.

Thoughts? Is the World Heavyweight Championship this generation's Intercontinental Title?
    Last edited by paulo75; 05-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: World Heavyweight Championship = Intercontinental Title?

Yeah, you nailed it. The WHC is exactly what the IC Title used to be.

The two titles were equal at one point, but that will never happen again now that the brand split is essentially over and SD is as much of a second tier show as it ever was. But that doesn't mean the belt is completely useless. For example, I fully expect the WHC match to steal the show at Extreme Rules, unless The Undertaker decides to wrestle.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Maybe WWE should merge the Intercontinental and World Heavyweight championships? I mean there is no need for both the IC and US belts. As for the paulo75's point it absolutely seems that way, although I'm sure we'll still see Orton/Henry/Show going after the belt so I don't think it will just be for great workers.

I'd be okay with them canning one of the midcard titles, but them having two doesn't offend me as much as it does others.

They also need to have a certain number of titles for the Night of Champions PPV to be worthwhile, and that's been one of my favorite PPVs of the year for a while now.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

They should merge the WWE and WHC, merge the US and IC, and then bring back either the European or Light Heavyweight Championship.

I would say bring back the Hardcore title, but WWE is way too PG for that now. Would've been cool to bring that belt back when ECW was a third brand though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Standard View Post
    They should merge the WWE and WHC, merge the US and IC, and then bring back either the European or Light Heavyweight Championship.
    I totally agree. With so much crossover now between the two brands, it's time to unify the titles once and for all.

Most people will agree. I've been saying it for years. That and the WHC is basically only there for practice runs. You'll never see the WWE Championship curtain jerk Mania...

Quote Originally Posted by paulo75 View Post
    I totally agree. With so much crossover now between the two brands, it's time to unify the titles once and for all.
    How do you answer house shows? Ya know, the reason they had to make two titles in the first place...

I would say bring back the Hardcore title, but WWE is way too PG for that now. Would've been cool to bring that belt back when ECW was a third brand though.
    They're not too PG to do Hardcore matches. They still have a whole PPV dedicated to just that.

Bender

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

The IC and US titles are at an all time low in terms of importance and credibility, so I agree its time to merge. Fans just do not give a shit anymore and a merge might help a bit and force them to keep it on guys who deserve it and less on giving Kofi Kingston his 1000th reign

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Merging isn't the easy fix everyone thinks it is, though.

They still have to actually book the one title well.

They merged the tag team and divas titles and neither is in a much better position than when they were two titles each.

Bender

Hell I would argue the divas title is booked worse than when they had two titles.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

If the titles merge, that is one less mid-card feud that WWE will feel obligated to give a small amount of attention to. So it could very well lead less people being pushed in the midcard. That's exactly what happened to the Women's Division when they retired the Women's title.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    Hell I would argue the divas title is booked worse than when they had two titles.
    Indeed. The retirement of the Women's title, as well as the end of brand-exclusive rosters, hurt the women's division more than it helped anything.

surrender

Banned

I've been telling people this for awhile now. Everyone knows the WWE Title is king. Rock said straight out he was coming back to win the WWE Title again. Cena wasted no time the night after the Rumble letting people know it was the WWE Title he was going after at Wrestlemania. When talking about if certain guys can break through the glass ceiling and rise all the way to the top, some will say "Well, I think so and so can be the World Heavyweight Champion, but I don't know about winning the WWE Title..." Isn't that JUST LIKE how people used to refer to the Intercontinental Title? Of course, nobody says that about the IC Title anymore, because it's just so low down the totem pole thanks to having two 'world' titles and the fact that it's been booked like shit for far too long.

One argument is that the WHC still headlines it's own house show circuit but they fail to remember (or realize) that back when the IC Title was at its most prestigious, it used to headline its own run of house shows, too. And many of them sold out (like MSG selling out eight times during HTM's record reign.)

I wanna say just unify the world titles (make it a big deal, Wrestlemania next year seems ideal) and have the IC Title headline the second string of house shows again but I guess it's pretty difficult to build it back up after the way it's been booked for so long. But in my ideal world, there'd be one world title, two midcard titles (IC and US), tag titles and the women's title, though I couldn't care less about the latter one.

The Raw title is the main title, always. The Smackdown is treated a notch below. If booking calls for the champions to flip flop (and it has in the past as recent as 2008) then whatever title is on Raw will still be king.

I don't get what is so hard to grasp about that. The titles have flip-flopped MULTIPLE TIMES before so why is it impossible it will happen again?

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    The Raw title is the main title, always. The Smackdown is treated a notch below. If booking calls for the champions to flip flop (and it has in the past as recent as 2008) then whatever title is on Raw will still be king.

I don't get what is so hard to grasp about that. The titles have flip-flopped MULTIPLE TIMES before so why is it impossible it will happen again?
    Well since the brand extension is completely dead, the World title becoming more important than the WWE title won't be happening any time soon.

surrender

You can just feeeeel the nostalgia dripping from this.

Yes, the World Heavyweight Title is a Glorified Modern-Day Intercontinental Title. Not that it's a bad thing. They still occasionally make an effort to mention the whole "Harley Race, Ric Flair, blah, blah blah held this belt".

Of course, that still means its second to Vince McMahon's championship, because Vince McMahon dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

I don't see what unifying the US and IC titles and then bringing back the European title acheives. You're back in the same situation...two mid-card titles that rarely have any compelling storylines.

surrender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post

Even then, the title on Smackdown still felt like a world title. It doesn't at all feel like a top title these days. I know it's because of the death of the BE and the end of split PPVs but that's the point.

The World Heavyweight title started to feel like less of a world title when Swagger won it a few years ago and the brand extension being phased out ended up solidifying the situation.

surrender

What it comes down to is the exposure of the titles. When the titles were equal, SmackDown was on UPN on Thursday nights. Now it's on SyFy on Friday nights reaching a far smaller audience. Booking the titles as equals makes little sense, you're bending over backwards for this false sense of equality that would only serve to undermine grudge feuds under the WWE title. The World title has been relegated to a perfectly fine second-tier championship. People seem to have a inherent problem with the word 'world' being used for a second-tier title. I don't.

And the idea that it's being bastardized to fit Vince McMahon's idea of WCW is quite the stretch - WCW bastardized it themselves long before Vince even had control of it. David Arquette anyone?

Banned

I've already pointed out in other threads how I don't watch anymore, why don't they just unify the title

Because every time they do, they bring them back anyways. So what's the point?

Banned

The Last time they unified the belt was in 2001 right.

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Do away with the World Heavyweight Title. The ONLY reason it is still around is because a portion of its lineage has roots of nostalgic proportions. Vince feels if he does away with that Title, he does away with its lineage and it will piss off alot of old school fans. That, and he just has too much talent on the roster for only one Championship. But I feel it is time that we go to just one World Title. I hate to see the 'Big Gold Belt' go away, but if played right they could 'induct' it into their physical HOF (which rumors are still circulating it is becoming a reality) and put the WCW and the NWA belt to rest.

Banner by-ThreadKiller

I don't have a problem with them unifying the titles, and to be honest I think they will do it soon for a short-term interest spike, I just think it's a bit silly to think that it would solve all the problems. The only good reason to unify the titles is to have one clear top title, but really, we already have one clear top title.

I don't see this magic solution that others see.

Thread Information