Thread: The Rock

Default The Rock

The Rock seems like is full of shit these days. He doesn't seem very genuine in anything he says lately. Check out the Mick Foley Bluray where he tried to say he was the biggest good guy in the company when he turned at Survivor Series and joined the corporation. He must have forgotten that Austin was not on the shelf yet and therefore he was no where near the top good guy in the company. The guy has just seemed kind of fake to me in all his recent interviews and things. Thoughts?

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: The Rock

I'd like to hear the context before I immediately judge him.

Regardless, I don't feel that way overall.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'd like to hear the context before I immediately judge him.

Regardless, I don't feel that way overall.
    Just a feeling I get from him when I see his real life interviews. His interview in the Foley movie seemed very fake to me. I'm not doubting his love for the business as there was no real reason for him to come back. The guy just seems fake to me.

I think he was always a humble guy before going to Hollywood, which may have made him grow a bit of an ego, but I don't think he's disingenuous. If anything, I would expect John Cena to be more of that.

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    I think he was always a humble guy before going to Hollywood, which may have made him grow a bit of an ego, but I don't think he's disingenuous. If anything, I would expect John Cena to be more of that.

Here we go...

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

ill have to watch the bluray, i have it just havent had time to view it yet.

i will say though, at the time when he turned heel at survivor series he was indeed white hot over with the fans who had JUST turned him face like a month prior. i recall i was even rooting him on to win the tourny going in.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

He was getting huge reactions before that heel turn. May not have been Austin level yet, but he was up there. So, while I do think he's wrong, I dont think he's being fake.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Haven't seen the blu ray yet, but maybe he meant that he was the hottest good guy at the time, in which case he would be correct.

Anyways I've heard him talk about that period before and he never seemed to over hype his importance, he always has said things like he was one of the top babyfaces or one of the most popular guys in the company.

He never before said anything like I was the biggest star around, or anything like that, so id just have to see the blu ray, because that seems unlike him.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Rock was pretty damn close to Austin's level of overness in late 98 before the heel turn. I wouldn't say he was more over, but he was right there. This was when he was coming off of his feud with Triple H where they pretty much stole the show on the PPV's.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Rock was pretty damn close to Austin's level of overness in late 98 before the heel turn. I wouldn't say he was more over, but he was right there. This was when he was coming off of his feud with Triple H where they pretty much stole the show on the PPV's.
    it depends on the location they were performing at. But it wasn't at such a consistent level that Austin was at until mid 99. Austin was a light year ahead of everybody in the wrestling world, in terms of popularity, in 98

I remember a little window there right after the Triple H feud(really Rocky was getting cheered even as a heel at this time, this was my personal favorite version of The Rock) up into Survivor Series where Rock was right there on Austin's level. I don't know about 99. I'm sure it took some time to get back to that level after the heel turn, but Rock was hot in late 98 just before the Survivor Series turn from what I remember. I don't know if Austin was a light year ahead of Goldberg in popularity in 98 either. Goldberg was white hot up into the Summer.

I don't think he's full of shit and he does love wrestling. But I remember in 2011 when he and Cena were cutting promos on one another and he kept saying Cena was a phony and men can smell phonies.

Then whenever he is on Raw he has the biggest fake smile I have ever seen in my life which I can just see straight through is fake, it's one of the biggest put offs since he returned. It was fine the first few times he was back, he needed to show people he cared and was happy to be there (which I genuinely believe he was)....but I liked The Rock when he was more serious and wearing sunglasses. His return would of gone down so much better if he cut out all of the phony smiles and kissing up to the fans. He was doing exactly the same things as he called Cena out for in his promos in kayfabe.

I like Cena, but for years I was always sure that was The Rock we would see when/if he returned and I would cheer him over Cena. But once it actually happened I found myself siding with Cena more and more. I then came to the realization that I had actually been watching Cena wrestle now a lot longer than I had watched The Rock wrestle full time.

I've trailed off a bit but you get the idea. If anyone came across as a phony to me in the entire feud it was The Rock by far.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

On a side note after viewing the Foley Doc I do not buy the dirtsheet talk of how Hunter spoke poorly of Mick. He sounded pretty genuine in the doc when he put him over

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vinwwe View Post
    The Rock seems like is full of shit these days. He doesn't seem very genuine in anything he says lately. Check out the Mick Foley Bluray where he tried to say he was the biggest good guy in the company when he turned at Survivor Series and joined the corporation. He must have forgotten that Austin was not on the shelf yet and therefore he was no where near the top good guy in the company. The guy has just seemed kind of fake to me in all his recent interviews and things. Thoughts?
    There was a poll in late 1998 just before the heel turn where both Austin and Goldberg were outvoted in favor of The Rock. It's also clear his heel turn somewhat halted his popularity that would grow in 1999.

I haven't seen the DVD yet but he may have meant that he was the hottest baby face who was 'climbing the mountain' (Austin had already reached it) and it came off differently because he may have said it in passing.

Banned

I have great respect for The Rock. He didn't have too come back. But he did? He has gave us a lot off great matches and moments since his return. And I am so hoping he goes on too face the beast Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 30.
    And for his previous wwe championship run. I thought it was a good thing because Rock along with CM Punk have put the belt on a much higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    There was a poll in late 1998 just before the heel turn where both Austin and Goldberg were outvoted in favor of The Rock. It's also clear his heel turn somewhat halted his popularity that would grow in 1999.
    A poll doesn't quantify in ticket sales, merchandise, licensing and trademarks. And in terms of dollars and cents, Austin owned both Goldberg and Rock.

Back to the subject. The Rock lost a lot of the edge that made him fun to watch in his prime. His constant pandering to the crowd, twitter, and all that stupid shit got old quick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    A poll doesn't quantify in ticket sales, merchandise, licensing and trademarks. And in terms of dollars and cents, Austin owned both Goldberg and Rock.

Back to the subject. The Rock lost a lot of the edge that made him fun to watch in his prime. His constant pandering to the crowd, twitter, and all that stupid shit got old quick.
    I didn't say it did. I only used it as an example of how popular The Rock was at the time. Like I said, he was probably referring to being the hottest baby face that was coming up at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    I didn't say it did. I only used it as an example of how popular The Rock was at the time. Like I said, he was probably referring to being the hottest baby face that was coming up at the time.
    You picked a random ass poll that was probably answered by 2 people to prove your point?

I actually remember the wwe poll on their website in 1999 around the end of summer/fall and it was said the results had some in the company believing it was time to turn Rock into the top babyface and turn Austin heel which later rumors started that would be the main event of WM 16.

I kind of agree with LTD there were times in his return Rock ended up doing things he accused Cena of. I'm glad he cut it out though especially that twitter nonsense.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    I actually remember the wwe poll on their website in 1999 around the end of summer/fall and it was said the results had some in the company believing it was time to turn Rock into the top babyface and turn Austin heel which later rumors started that would be the main event of WM 16.
    I remember that, too. But in 1998, Austin was the king of the world. Austin was getting stale as fuck after Backlash 99.

Thread Information