Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Did Paul Heyman get Rehired?

Default How Did Paul Heyman get Rehired?

So I just finished reading Hardcore History and assuming it's accurate Paul Heyman's first tenure with the WWE ended with him having massive creative differences with both Vince and Stephanie Mcmahon, the latter of which he at least once told to "Fuck Off". Given the resurrection of ECW as the WWE's third brand and it's subsequent delegation to become a training brand, in the process undermining the legacy of the company Paul did so much to create, what do you think bought him back? Do you think it is as simple as money?

Default Re: How Did Paul Heyman get Rehired?

Brock begged him to return to be his mouthpiece since he hates talking. Also he and Punk are close and Punk must have convinced WWE that heyman would be needed for the crowd to turn on him last year.

Look on YouTube for an interview he did before Mania.

Heyman never had a problem with WWECW to my knowledge. Perhaps he didn't like it, but he's a very intelligent guy, he knew that WWE were never going to get away with the original ECW product in the modern day, the company has spent years cleaning up their image (and still are), to throw it away over ECW on SyFy was unrealistic and Paul knew that.

They did however have a problem with booking decisions. Vince didn't like Punk, Paul wanted Punk to lead the new ECW brand. There were huge creative differences over that abomination of a show December to Dismember. Paul also wanted to push Sabu if I recall correctly, and Vince just wasn't interested. So he left.

He got rehired because Vince thinks a lot of him, despite what people will have you think. Stephanie hates him, but Vince will listen to Paul every day of the week. Lesnar got re-signed and Heyman got excited by the opportunity and came back as an on-screen talent. Once he got on the road, he got talking to Punk and they decided to do something together too.

Heyman will never return to the writing team I assume, because Stephanie is a lifer. But I'm sure he pitches ideas and like I said, Vince listens. Ironically (since Paul stuck up for Punk so much in the early days), Punk probably has a lot to do with Paul being so heavily involved in the on-screen product.

Cheers guys that makes sense, I wonder how much control Heyman has over what he says, he seems like the kind of performer that would balk at being presented a script.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    He got rehired because Vince thinks a lot of him, despite what people will have you think. Stephanie hates him, but Vince will listen to Paul every day of the week.

This is the key to the OP.
    Steph and Paul probably shouldn't be in the same room at the same time. But Paul and Vince have a mutual respect for each other, and that's why Paul is back now.

I don't think Heyman really cares what Vince does with ECW at this point. The fact is, ECW appealed to a niche group of fans and these fans are going to differentiate between the real ECW and WWE's version. It doesn't really hurt ECW's legacy because those who care about the company are well aware of the merits of the original organisation and why the WWE branded ECW is wildly different. The first One Night Stand was very well done, too.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Why does Stehp hate Paul?

As bookers, in terms of booking styles, they could not be more different. Stephanie is very careful and likes to keep the day-to-day product low-key, as not to saturate the creativity within the business. Paul is the complete opposite and likes to throw everything out there straight away, and make everything compelling all the time. Both have their good and bad, neither is right per se (although as fans we'd all selfishly like Paul's approach). There was clash after clash after clash, cliques developed on the writing team as to who was right and who was wrong, and inevitably, as both have extraordinarily stubborn personalities, Heyman ended up telling her to fuck off, literally, and that was the end of that.

Pauls tits or Stephanies.

Yeah, I know whose side I'd take.
    Bow before Da Look. Resistance is Futile.

Banned

He was brought back because Brock sucks on the mic and Heyman is great on the mic. The best mic worker in the WWE right now.

On the topic of Heyman/Stephanie, what good ideas has Stephanie been known to ever come up with? I didn't care about the old ECW but it was at least something and you can't deny the impact. Steph was said to practically pat herself on the back because of the Eve/Cena/Ryder/Kane storyline, even though one of it's segments drew the lowest rated Raw segment in 15 years, I believe. Every time a writer does an interview, they always put over Stephanie as a 'sweet person' but I don't recall ever hearing them put her over as too bright of a wrestling mind. They usually say how she just stares at them with almost psychotic eyes if they strongly push an idea to Vince she is vehemently against. I genuinely fear for WWE's future if something ever happens between her and HHH and she is left in charge all by her lonesome.

Given that she's head of creative, she must have come up with some good ideas in that time. It's inevitable.

Heyman's problem was that he booked for TV, that's all he can do. Rather than booking around TV for PPV, Heyman booked for TV. Every week was the best show it could be, and while that sounds great, that's not good wrestling booking, not from the stand-point of a business like WWE.

Heyman is very creative, but he is not a good businessman. Stephanie is very business-oriented and the two in theory would've had a good thing going on if they got on well. But they were so, so different, they just hated each other.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    He was brought back because Brock sucks on the mic and Heyman is great on the mic. The best mic worker in the WWE right now.

On the topic of Heyman/Stephanie, what good ideas has Stephanie been known to ever come up with? I didn't care about the old ECW but it was at least something and you can't deny the impact. Steph was said to practically pat herself on the back because of the Eve/Cena/Ryder/Kane storyline, even though one of it's segments drew the lowest rated Raw segment in 15 years, I believe. Every time a writer does an interview, they always put over Stephanie as a 'sweet person' but I don't recall ever hearing them put her over as too bright of a wrestling mind. They usually say how she just stares at them with almost psychotic eyes if they strongly push an idea to Vince she is vehemently against. I genuinely fear for WWE's future if something ever happens between her and HHH and she is left in charge all by her lonesome.
    Cena's rapping gimmick is one that is always brought up. But as Todd says, she's been head of creative for a long time now and while I don't agree with everything they do, she must have had a few good ideas every now and then. But I think she more just a mediator between the writers and Vince. They answer directly to her, and she will filter to Vince is the impression I get but obviously she's not on the road anymore so it's difficult to know how many of the meetings she's involved in anymore (unless she concalls into all of them).
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Banned

Heyman's problem was that he booked for TV, that's all he can do. Rather than booking around TV for PPV, Heyman booked for TV. Every week was the best show it could be, and while that sounds great, that's not good wrestling booking, not from the stand-point of a business like WWE.
    WWE should reduce the number of PPVs they have to six per year. In this scenario, booking for TV becomes more important.
    Stick around Heyman, we need you!

Any decent wrestling promoter books TV around PPV. It's the only way to survive, as Heyman found out.

Look, I like Paul, he's extremely creative (the most creative booker ever, you could argue), but he puts all of his eggs in one basket - that basket being his belief that a compelling TV product sells first and foremost. We're all opinions here, but I believe he's wrong, very wrong, and any professional wrestling business he has a large say in is doomed.

Any good writing team could do with a Paul Heyman, don't get me wrong. He's a less ridiculous, far more sensible and intelligent version of Vince Russo.

Banned

What's funny is that there was that report around the summer last year where WWE's new business strategy was to start focusing on TV as the main product instead of PPV.

Care to provide a link?

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Care to provide a link?
    I do remember reading that, as well. But I don't remember where.

Spoiler

Banned

I don't remember seeing anything around that time period that I thought resembled booking for television.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

i take it thats how the fantastic brock/angle iron man match for the wwe title (which ended with a title switch even!) ended up on free tv.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I don't remember seeing anything around that time period that I thought resembled booking for television.
    I saw it a little on Raw, with the Lawler stuff. The stuff between Punk and Lawler really had nothing to do with the Cena feud. But that wasn't at this time.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhart View Post
    I saw it a little on Raw, with the Lawler stuff. The stuff between Punk and Lawler really had nothing to do with the Cena feud. But that wasn't at this time.
    Eh, that little feud didn't give away anything that was potentially PPV quality.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Eh, that little feud didn't give away anything that was potentially PPV quality.
    Granted, but it's not very common nowadays for feuds like that to last more than one week. And it culminated in a cage match.

It was WWE's half-assed attempt at booking for TV, that lasted a few weeks. But it's pretty rare to get stuff like that nowadays. Especially if it doesn't culminate at a PPV.

Spoiler

I felt like the Bryan/Punk/AJ (and Kane) storyline was absolutely "booked for TV." All the intriguing moments and climaxes of the story happened on TV, where as not much progression was happening on PPV. I remember everyone would predict some big moment or heel turn to happen at the PPVs, and nothing entirely significant would happen. The storyline would really only advance on television. The Punk involvement of the AJ/Daniel Bryan saga began a week before that report came out.

surrender

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    I felt like the Bryan/Punk/AJ (and Kane) storyline was absolutely "booked for TV." All the intriguing moments and climaxes of the story happened on TV, where as not much progression was happening on PPV. I remember everyone would predict some big moment or heel turn to happen at the PPVs, and nothing entirely significant would happen. The storyline would really only advance on television. The AJ/Bryan storyline moved to Raw and got Punk involved a week before that report came out.
    I disagree. The culmination of that happened at MITB, where AJ was the guest referee in the WWE title match.

Spoiler

Thread Information