Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lance Storm has an idea regarding Undertaker's streak!

Lightbulb Lance Storm has an idea regarding Undertaker's streak!

Naturally there has been a lot of talk on PW in recent years about Undertaker's streak. The general consensus is that John Cena is the only reasonable choice to end the streak, if it ends at all.

Lance Storm thinks differently, as he recently wrote on his website:

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Storm
    Booking The Streak

April 23, 2013

I've been asked many times whether I think the Undertaker's Streak should ever be broken. Originally I thought absolutely, it's what this business is about; you should always pass the torch. What's the point of building something up if at the end of that run it isn't used to get over that next generation? That thinking was several years ago and for the last few years I've changed my thinking. My new thinking on this was that the Streak means so much now a guy has to be built up to the point where he is already made in order to challenge for it, and if the guy is already made he doesn't need the win to be made so why not leave the Undertaker's legacy intact.

Well my thinking has changed once again and it was thanks to an idea, or more sort of a questions asked by my friend Todd Martin (@ToddMartinMMA). Todd's question was: Is the Streak being broken a better story? This got me looking at the problem from a whole different perspective. Instead of thinking, what's better for business, I'm looking at it strictly from a drama and storytelling aspect and deciding which is the better story. After some pondering I've made up my mind on what I think the better story is, and in the end it's even the best thing for business. The only shame is that it should have been started a couple years ago, for maximum effectiveness. I discussed this idea on my last F4W online interview and many people liked it so I thought I would share it all with you here.

Booking the Streak:

Yes I would break the streak, and oddly enough it doesn't even matter by whom. I would start the angle with a simple interview with the Undertaker. In the interview the Undertaker needs to be asked if he thinks anyone will ever be able to beat the Streak or if he thinks he will retire with the Streak intact. To this I would have Undertaker reply that he has no intention of retiring until someone does beat the Streak. Continuing the Streak as long as possible is the ultimate challenge and retiring before someone beats it, would be like quitting. He will not retire with 21 or 22 straight victories and live out his life wondering if he could have gone 23 or 24. He will defend the Streak until it is broken and the day it is broken will be his last match and he will retire.

This establishes two very important money drawing details. The first is that the Streak will most definitely end and the second, when it does it will be The Undertakers last ever match. The Streak is already one of, if not the biggest drawing aspect of WrestleMania but with this new addition I believe the Streak's drawing power increases greatly, and why I think this idea should have been implemented a few years ago, to get maximum effect.

The WrestleMania where the Streak being broken in the Undertakers last ever match is a legitimate once in a life time event that no wrestling fan will want to miss, and with this one simple promo fans know that it will happen and realistically fairly soon. Each year now as fans decide whether they are going to attend WrestleMania live or order it on PPV, they will have to ask themselves, is this going to be the year, will this be the year the Streak is broken and the Undertaker retires,and do I want to risk missing that once in a life time moment? Watching it back on DVD, won't be the same as witnessing that amazing moment live, when the referee's hand strikes the mat that third time marking the end of the Streak and one of the greatest wrestling careers of all time. With The Undertaker's age you have to know it's coming sooner rather than later, so how can you possibly risk missing another WrestleMania? The answer is you can't.

There are other benefits to this idea as well. Every near fall in every Undertaker match will have so much more emotion and drama. For the last few years the guys have had to work so hard to create that one moment when fans actually believe the Streak can be broken, but now that fans KNOW it will be broken, every near fall becomes believable and will bring more emotion. Every match will be more heated; every match will have more at stake. Every win will be bigger and that eventual lose will be the defining end a great career deserves.

There is the argument that no one wants to see him lose and the end of the Streak and the defeating of the Undertaker at WrestleMania will be too much of a downer but I disagree. Yes I think it will be a very sad disappointing moment when the Streak and the career of The Undertaker finally ends, but think about the ovation The Undertaker's wins currently get and how much bigger they would be when you add the relief of his career being saved and the reassurance that he will be around for one more defence next year. Each win becomes greater and when that ultimate end does happen I think there is a chance for one of the greatest moments in wrestling history.

When Taker does finally lose and the referee's hand strikes the mat for that third and final time, there will likely be a dead silence fall over the crowd, it will be a sad and surreal moment for sure, but that's okay. As the saying goes it is always darkest before the dawn. I believe that after that three count, if the Undertaker remains completely motionless and does not move, while the winner gets his hand raise, does whatever he has to do, and then leaves, the crowd will have time to absorb what they have just witnessed and I bet the loudest "Thank You Taker" chant would start to build, and when they are about to reach their peak you kill the lights to create silence and then you hit The Undertaker's Gong and a blue spot light on The Undertaker's motionless body, on the second Gong he sits up one last time. In my opinion the ovation this will receive could very well make this the greatest and most memorable moment in WrestleMania history. The perfect send of for one of the greatest ever.

Lance Storm
    http://www.stormwrestling.com/042313.html

I completely agree that the streak has reached the point where if you're challenging the streak, you're already a WWE deity, so there is no point in breaking it.

The booking itself is fantastic and I can honestly see nothing wrong with it. It draws attention to the fact that Mark Calloway won't be wrestling for much longer, but does it in kayfabe, thus increasing the must-see nature of his Wrestlemania matches by an incredible amount. It also makes the matches themsleves much more dramatic, as I believe most fans would genuinely believe the match would go either way in this scenario, rather than it being a foregone conclusion that Taker wins as it has been in the last few years.

I also really like how Storm came up with the idea when thinking from a storyline/drama perspective rather than from the eyes of the business, and yet came up with probably the best way to use the streak financially.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Lance Storm has an idea regarding Undertaker's streak!

I really like his idea, though like he said it probably should have been started a couple of years back if they were going to go in that direction. The question does still remain though, who should break it, and I disagree with Lance's view that it doesn't matter.

I don't think Cena would make any sense, really. The Rock did the whole passing of the torch thing only recently, and he's as over as he's ever going to get. A face CM Punk maybe, but even then I'm not really sure.

Banned

That's some heavy sh**, Lance!

Very very interesting, although what if 'Taker decides to wrestle for 5 more years after the initial announcement. Every year that this stipulation goes by the more watered down it becomes. You could argue that it might get more exciting, but I think as UT gets older and can do less in the ring the attraction at WM will suffer a little bit.

I think UT should retire with an undefeated WM streak. He is one of the most (if not the most) respected WWE superstar of all time. I betcha, that out of respect, Cena doesn't even want to break the streak.

Lance talks about near falls... In my opinion, I think that there are too many near falls in these big WM matches. And there are too many times people kick out of "finishers". The near falls do nothing for me. I sit there, drink my beer, and say to myself 'He's gonna kick out at 2, because he hasn't taken the finisher for the third time yet.'

Not a bad idea.

I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't end but if you were going to do it, that's how to do it. It would've had to have been implemented a few years ago though because Taker realistically has only one or two more Mania' matches in him so there won't be as much drama and suspense as there would've been had he successfully maintained the streak for a few years with the possibility of retiring hanging over his head.

Credit to Stefan

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPL CHAMPIONS 2012/13; SCOTTISH CUP 2013 WINNERS; LAST 16 OF UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2012/2013; SWISS CUP FINALISTS; UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI-FINALISTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tooth View Post
    Very very interesting, although what if 'Taker decides to wrestle for 5 more years after the initial announcement. Every year that this stipulation goes by the more watered down it becomes. You could argue that it might get more exciting, but I think as UT gets older and can do less in the ring the attraction at WM will suffer a little bit.
    You might be right here. It is unclear what the fan perception of the storyline would be like were the story to go on for many years. oHwever, I do think the drama would increase, as Undertaker grows older with each passing year, thus the chance of the streak ending and 'Taker retiring increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tooth View Post
    Lance talks about near falls... In my opinion, I think that there are too many near falls in these big WM matches. And there are too many times people kick out of "finishers". The near falls do nothing for me. I sit there, drink my beer, and say to myself 'He's gonna kick out at 2, because he hasn't taken the finisher for the third time yet.'
    This is another argument Lance made in favour of his booking. If people genuinely believed Taker's streak was in jeopardy, then each near fall would be much more significant and people would suspend their disbelief before the fourth finisher.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I agree with Storm, and have argued almost all of his points about why it should be broken several times on these boards.

Why create something like the streak in the make believe world of wrestling if you're never going to give it the most dramatic and epic conclusion by having it broken?

Records and streaks are made to be broken and the fact that no one could possibly ever reach it again means that Taker's legacy is already set in stone anyway.

It has to end.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Banned

How many times have you seen someone lose a 'retirement match' or a 'loser leaves town match' only to come back later?
    Retiring a perfect streak would be a refreshing change as compared to what we've seen with other retirement matches.
    Not saying 'Taker would come back after retiring, but saying that it's OK to go out on top, even in pro wrestling.
    The idea that the person who ends the streak would reach legendary status is tricky. In one scenario, using a guy with an already impressive track record like Cena to end the streak would do little more to enhance Cena's marketability. In the other scenario, using the end of the streak to give a mega push to an up and coming talent could back fire. Fans could resent the man who ends the streak, and resent the WWE if that person pulls a "Bobby Lashley".

The guy who ends the streak would have to be able to handle the pressure, be an effective heel due to the inevitable resentment of ending the streak, and be someone absolutely dedicated to the business and the company, and not about to walk out.

I can think of about 3 guys who I could buy ending the streak that would be worthwhile for them and the company - Ohno, Wyatt, and Luke Harper.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Sounds like a brilliant idea as far as creating a compelling story goes. This would completely flip the script on Taker's streak matches...instead of knowing he's going to win each year, you would know for a fact that he's going to lose one year, you just don't know when. But it probably should have started already.

Regardless, the streak will stay intact forever which to me is perfectly fine because of how legendary it's become at this point.

surrender

Banned

I agree with his sentiments about the streak ending being a huge deal and almost too big to pass up. You'd be missing out on a huge moment in WWE history and wrestling history in general. But my argument has always been it needs to be with the right person. I don't agree at all that it doesn't matter who breaks it, Lance has said himself before that one reason it should probably stay intact is that the guy who breaks it might not work out in the long run or might just turn around and leave like Brock Lesnar did, taking the honor of beating the streak along with him.

I also think, as good as his idea is, that it wouldn't make a difference in the long run. A lot of casual fans believe anyway that the streak could end every year, so there's always the drama attached to that. Plus, from a realistic POV as far as WWE is concerned, there's certain opponents you know won't end it. Punk this year for example. HHH last year and the year before. Even Michaels at 26 as everyone knew he was retiring anyway. This wouldn't change even if Taker said he was retiring after the loss of the streak, which most probably figure anyway at this point (even if they don't, it's still the end of coming back to Wrestlemania to defend the immortal streak every year.) And there's always that chance that after awhile, Taker could come out anyway and say that no one has defeated him yet and that he thinks it's time to give them one last chance (in other words, he's pretty saying he's retiring after one more match), and in that case, I could see him handpicking an opponent who he thinks would be the biggest challenge left, which sounds like a good set up for Cena/Taker, if you ask me.

I agree with what everyone else is saying about the guy breaking the streak, doesn't need to be an overly established guy, like a Cena, Punk, Show, Rybotch..
    Perhaps a guy with tremendous upside who they can build on being a "heel." The name Roman Reigns comes to mind. Maybe Big E. Langston.
    It is going to have to be a believable person. You can't have a Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston doing it.

Maybe someone from NXT?

I want the streak to end so "Mean Mark" can retire with a tremendous legacy.
    If he loses to a "heel" in a controversial manner, then t hat adds a twist to.

Great Job, Lance. Well played. Well played.
    "Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next.

--Richard Morgan Fliehr

It's a good idea and I already propositioned this on here with "The Streak Ends Here" storyline for Taker's last match giving intrigue if he was going to go out a loser or winner in his last match in the streak.

The problem I see with Lance Storm's idea is that there are fans out there who always think Taker is having his last match anyways each year that passes. I think the company doesn't want to pigeonhole itself just in case it DOES want to keep the streak intact. With Storm's idea it pretty much has to end because he MUST retire sometime.

Never know what the future may hold and maybe at that time of his last match it won't be a good idea to end the streak. I can see using the storyline for his LAST MATCH though, but not using it every year where it seems like it may come off like crying wolf. Klockard is right imo about it not really making that much of a difference in some years as mentioned.

It's a good idea, but at this point the company is damned if they do and damned if they don't in terms of keeping the streak or ending it. The way the company has become I wouldn't be surprised taking the safe route isn't done.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I'am sorry But IMO I don't think it should ever end. It's been going on too long. Now I not saying that Lance didn't have a good Idea its just that I don't want it to happen.

I even had an idea of my own but not sure it would even work.
    Like let Undertaker skip a few WM and then induct him in the HOF we all know it going to happen. Have the Fans yelling one more Match and end it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jefe View Post
    I agree with what everyone else is saying about the guy breaking the streak, doesn't need to be an overly established guy, like a Cena, Punk, Show, Rybotch..
    Perhaps a guy with tremendous upside who they can build on being a "heel." The name Roman Reigns comes to mind. Maybe Big E. Langston.
    It is going to have to be a believable person. You can't have a Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston doing it.

Maybe someone from NXT?

I want the streak to end so "Mean Mark" can retire with a tremendous legacy.
    If he loses to a "heel" in a controversial manner, then t hat adds a twist to.

Great Job, Lance. Well played. Well played.
    Excellent, excellent points, El_Jefe.
    I like how you said "Rybotch"
    There is nothing believeable about Kofi Kingston.
    Who would haver thought that the replacement Skyscraper would have such a tremendous legacy.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Think about it...what if Andre would have retired without ever being beaten or slammed?

Did his defeat at Mania 3 taint his legacy at all, no...if anything it made him more of a legend by being apart of such a legendary match with Hogan, the fact that he finally lost is what made that match arguably the biggest single moment in the history of the WWE, and it still is to this day.

Now what could possibly rival that moment in terms of the importance of it, only the defeat of The Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

If Taker retires undefeated at Mania, nothing different happens, he's already a legend because of his streak, that can't change or increase at this point, it can't get any bigger.

Now if he losses, that would be an earth shattering moment, with everything that Storm said coming to pass and it would also give the Undertaker the only sendoff that he truely deserves, a final farewell at the event that defined his career and the biggest standing ovation we've ever seen or heard.

There are for more reasons to end it than there are to not end it, especially since he'll be a legend no matter which way they go.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Banned

Why they haven't throw money at Lance for the longest to be on the creative team is beyond me. Keep going after all those other sucky retired sports figures. One of the brightest minds in the business strike again. Completely agree
    Last edited by 123 Kid; 04-26-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Back for the first time. T-Money's Avatar

I absolutely love this idea. Love it - and it makes so much business and legacy sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Think about it...what if Andre would have retired without ever being beaten or slammed?

Did his defeat at Mania 3 taint his legacy at all, no...if anything it made him more of a legend by being apart of such a legendary match with Hogan, the fact that he finally lost is what made that match arguably the biggest single moment in the history of the WWE, and it still is to this day.

Now what could possibly rival that moment in terms of the importance of it, only the defeat of The Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

If Taker retires undefeated at Mania, nothing different happens, he's already a legend because of his streak, that can't change or increase at this point, it can't get any bigger.

Now if he losses, that would be an earth shattering moment, with everything that Storm said coming to pass and it would also give the Undertaker the only sendoff that he truely deserves, a final farewell at the event that defined his career and the biggest standing ovation we've ever seen or heard.

There are for more reasons to end it than there are to not end it, especially since he'll be a legend no matter which way they go.
    Funny enough that Jim Ross recently stated he felt UT has surpassed Andre as the greatest big man in history. Not sure exactly if he means wrestling wise or icon status.

Here is what his twitter had to say:

I mean this respectfully, but #Undertaker IMO has surpassed the immortal Andre the Giant as greatest BIG man in history of the biz. #WWE
    https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/statuses/326513513776435201

Of course I also think JR is shilling and maybe the wwe is slowly trying to build Cena/Taker as the modern day Hogan/Andre.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post

Andre wasn't really undefeated and had been body slammed before I believe (by Hogan even, long before WM3.) Even though they did make others think it hadn't happened before so I guess it doesn't matter much.

For me, it all goes back to it being with the right guy. Just throwing some midcarder in there isn't gonna get the job done. To me, they need to someone either on the cusp of stardom that they KNOW will be a huge star (Austin going into WM14, Cena/Batista going into WM21, etc.) or someone who has been a main eventer but only for a year or two or so (not Cena, who's been top guy for eight years now) and who you know has more time left. Like Hogan in 1986 or 1987 (to agree somewhat with the Andre example), Austin in 1999, Rock in 2000, Cena in 2007, etc. If there isn't someone like that when it comes time for Taker to retire, I think he is better off just keeping the streak. It's also why I believe they've put off the Cena match for as long as possible (despite many complaining why they haven't got the match yet) because they likely know if Taker retires undefeated, then they want it to be against the biggest opponent possible, which could still end up being Cena when that times comes.

If the streak HAS to end, then I think it should be someone that the WWE will launch as their next guy.

I did the recent Cena thread to sort of show that for a few years he sort of floated around but by 04 the WWE dug their heels in and executed a plan to launch him into the mega star they currently make him out to be (title run + coinciding album + coinciding movie + have him beat all contenders even if the crowd sours).

I want the WWE to pick someone now and consistently build them up without wavering and stalling someone's momentum for the sake of anyone or any situation (losing to a part timer, or filling in for a hurt champion... taking a hit in booking because of it). That guy needs to earn all the brass ring's the WWE has to offer right before except for a heavyweight title (perhaps the Rumble or MITB win and save the title spot for Mania), put all the cards on the table and have Taker as the champion and have the young winner get the biggest show of confidence from the company as the next guy since Warrior went over Hogan.

If that isn't the situation, then I don't think it should end. Make the most of it or milk it as long as Taker is willing to compete.

Using it on a guy that has done 99% of the things that could be done and 99% of the things we didn't even know was an option is a waste.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

Cena and Taker have to battle, they just have to, but Taker HAS to win it. I agree the streak ender should be the next top guy, maybe one of the Shield or whoever the brightest NXT prospect is.

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

I LOVE the idea. You wonder why a guy like Lance Storm can think up something like that, but one of these "geniuses" working for the WWE can't. It won't happen because I see the ending of his career next year, with the streak staying intact. However, if they did do this say maybe against Shawn Michaels the 2nd time around. It would have added even more to the great matches that he has had recently at WrestleMania.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

I don't want the streak to end, but, if it had to, that's not a bad way to do it. I'll cry like a baby, I just know it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I don't want the streak to end, but, if it had to, that's not a bad way to do it. I'll cry like a baby, I just know it.
    Me too I wish WWE had the vision to pull this idea off.

Thank you HAYZE!

Harper beating Taker after a crazy Brawl with one of his patented Big Boots out of nowhere would literally give mea heart attack out of pure joy.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Thread Information