Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you see Cena coming?

Default When did you see Cena coming?

Be honest, when did you yourself find it apparent that Cena was going to be the next big company guy? What tipped you off? Were you part of the IWC yet? Remember, this guy debuted in the WWE 2002, had his first Mania at Wrestlemania XX and his first title at Mania 21 all as a Smackdown guy.

Oh yeah, this thread is sort of a knee jerk reaction to the various complaints that no new stars are being made and they wont be made as long as part timers are around... all the while I see quite a few fresh faced superstars on the roster.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Retroactive part 2... Is there anyone else that gives you that feeling that he will be huge?
    Last edited by Dose; 04-25-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Default Re: When did you see Cena coming?

I saw the potential after his debut match with (a heel) Kurt Angle. Fast forward to almost a year and a half later on PPV and the guy had the crowd split against coincidentally (a babyface) Kurt Angle!

Banned

In early 2005, I saw Cena on his way to becoming the next big company guy.
    I thought John Cena outshined everyone else on the road to Wrestlemania 21, and I wondered why he wasn't wrestling in the last match of the night.
    That's OK, WWE got it correct the following year.

I was like 12 at the time, but I did have a decent bit of knowledge of wrestling and knew it the backstage stuff a small bit due to my older brother watching with me and telling me things, but it was at Wrestlemania 20 when he won the US Title and the crowd was just so stinking behind him, I thought 'Man this guy is going to be big!'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    Be honest, when did you yourself find it apparent that Cena was going to be the next big company guy?.
    When Brock left

Personally I too thought the WWE wanted great things from this guy due to his impressive debut... but I personally wouldn't have used that strong debut as an indicator that he was going to be the face of the company one day... I wouldn't even use that debut as an indicator that he would one day be a main eventer.

Personally, I am one of those guys that didn't see Cena coming at all because I was being misdirected by what I was watching on Raw. To me, it was obvious that Batista was going to be the next guy. He got the best of Evolution and closed out Mania as the champion of Raw over Triple H. Of course I wasn't part of the IWC so although I knew Cena was to be in a movie, I didn't know it was going to coincide with his title reign and album and be used as a mega launching point. And I didn't even acknowledge it due to his first year as champion being so rough. But once that mega long title reign happened (the one that ended with his injury I think), there wasn't really any denying it. Cena was going to beat everyone because he was the guy the WWE chose.

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

just a plain cunt Waffle Circus's Avatar

When he had his Ruthless Aggression talk with Vinnie Mac. Seriously though it was when he won the US Title against the Big Show at Mania. You could see that this guy was the future... and then once that notion sank in I cried my eyes out for days. I knew my time of truly enjoying wrestling to its fullest was now slowly coming to a screeching hault.

This moment, right here. '02, I believe. Pretty early on. Don't ask me why, I've never understood it. But, when I first saw this, my reaction was "This guy is gonna be HUGE."

I added the following to the OP, retroactive part 2... Is there anyone else that gives you that feeling that he will be huge?

King of the World Rock of Jericho's Avatar

I knew it during that Halloween episode where he started his rap gimmick. I can't say I've ever liked the guy, but he has had some good matches along the way and he does have charisma, which was evident very early in his career.

Sometime in 2003, I'd say. Was a huge fan already.

Also, I can't be the only one who laughed at the thread title, can I?

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

I remember thinking pretty early on , especially after his match with Angle that he was going to make it pretty far in this business. I don't know that I thought he'd become the biggest star of the decade but he always had that aura about him.

As for part two ... Roman Reigns seems to have it all and should become huge. I also think Seth Rollins is going to be pretty big down the road.
    -Bender-

2013 Sports Empire Most Valuable Poster
    2012 & 2013 Gridiron Poster of the Year

well lets see......i had my eye on him since he debuted and recall ALOT of camparisons to him and a young sting being made. he had a match with albert that he won on heat hitting a proto bomb (a move he used to do extremely well untill it turned into what it is now has the set up for the five knuckle shuffle today) that greatly impressed me.

then he turned heel with a hip hop act that totally killed me on him. he later debuted the FU which on first seeing i assumed was a botched or lazy DVR....nope thats how he intended it!

then out of the blue...i noticed this fucker was making me laugh with his raps! (and im not a rap or hip hop fan) and he won me over inspite of everything. when he won the us title from bigshow at wm20 i knew he was on his way and i was on board.

so then i guess. wm20.

its kinda funny, if the company didnt change out his gimmick when he just won the title and make his personalized spinner belt the default wwe title id probally still be a fan today. way to kill a good thing wwe.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Honestly? About early 2003. His name just had a ring to it. I remember when he wrestled Brock for the title at Backlash 2003 and I remember thinking it was way too early but one day he would be the top guy. It was inevitable for me, not sure if anyone else felt the same.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

I think the exact moment when it dawned on mean that John Cena was having the rocket strapped to him was Carlito's debut on SmackDown, when Cena dropped the United States Championship, then they wrote him off to film The Marine, and he came back and destroyed Carlito and Jesús. Cena looked like an absolute beast in the first match, and that was the moment I first thought, "Wow, there is no reason he shouldn't be WWE Champion." And then when he came back from the storyline knifing way earlier than expected and flat-out destroyed Carlito and Jesús, it was obvious.

Prior to that point, I thought Cena was great and was hoping that he'd be a big deal. But that was the couple of weeks that really cemented it.

I was very much an ignorant mark (and ignorant kid) at the time.
    Last edited by DC; 04-26-2013 at 12:39 AM.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Sometime in 2003, I'd say. Was a huge fan already.

Also, I can't be the only one who laughed at the thread title, can I?
    It was a totally intended punny statement... totally intended...

Also, I am finding it hard to believe you guys held a strictly Smackdown rookie in such regard... except with that movie coming down the pike... that kind of was a giveaway...

Banned

In late 2003 around Survivor Series it was becoming pretty clear to me. When he and Chris Benoit both survived the match, it was clear what high hopes the Powers The Be had for him. Then his midcard face run got stronger booking than I could ever imagine. And as a main eventer, the split crowds put him in another echelon. As clear as it was to me in late 2003 that he was the real deal, he's exceeded my expectations every step of the way and converted me from an ambivalent fence sitter to a real fan.

Let's see...

OVW/Early WWF- Got a lot of hype so I thought he'd be pushed hard and receive lots of opportunities.
    September/October 2002- OMG Cena is the biggest bust ever! Mr. Future is teaming/feuding with Kidman! He's the Ryan Leaf of WWF!
    Early Rapper Days- This could be cool
    Doctor of Thuganomics heyday- Hell yeah, John Cena! That dude rules. Cena and Matt Hardy ftw! Push them hard! They could be the future!
    Cena vs. Angle: No Mercy 2003- John Cena is going to be huge. I see many world championships in his future.

So, his match with Angle at No Mercy 2003 was what sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    Honestly? About early 2003. His name just had a ring to it. I remember when he wrestled Brock for the title at Backlash 2003 and I remember thinking it was way too early but one day he would be the top guy. It was inevitable for me, not sure if anyone else felt the same.
    This did it for me and also his match with Taker on smackdown when he proclaiming to be the "franchise" which goes back to what Jackknife was saying about the Sting comparisons.

I also remember the backstage segment with Cena and Orton I believe it was for the first time at SummerSlam 2004. You could see that would be a modern day feud for the generation that would be remembered.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Royal Rumble 2005.

I was blind to his rise. But in fairness to me, I did just start watching WWE full-time after a few years break, and even before that I only watched occasionally. I didn't know how things worked.

Before that I was totally predicting that WM21 would be JBL vs. Hardcore Holly.

Yes, I'm an idiot.

by 2003 I became a believer. By the beginning of 2005 he was the reason I watched wrestling and the reason I stopped watching Smackdown for a while after he was drafted to RAW.

BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

I remember being impressed with him in his first match with Kurt Angle and then they showed him backstage shaking hands with Undertaker. At that moment, I just had a feeling he was gonna the next big star. Haven't had that feeling since.

Last I saw of Cena for a year was in the build up to SummerSlam 2002 and I thought he was one of the most generic guys coming through. If this was the future, I wasn't really interested.

Kept hearing about him in 03 and was surprised at his progress. The feud against Brock was what made me take notice and his interactions with Taker & Angle made me believe this guy had potential to be the next Rock and I wanted to see him turn face and was happy they obliged in 2003.

I started going off him around 04 where they just had him grazing in the US Championship scene against a stale Booker T, Rob Van Dam & Rene Dupree and he was wearing those lame 'Ruck Fules' T-Shirts or whatever they were but I saw charisma in him and despite his dumb storylines with Carlito & Jesus I thought it was pretty fashionable to be a Cena fan at the time. Having Christian imitate him, certainly helped my perception.

I still didn't think of him as 'THE' guy - I thought that was The Deadman, Angle, Michaels or Batista until he transfered over in 2005 and still didn't think he was 'the man' until 2007 and he was having those good to great matches with Umaga, Shawn Michaels, Bobby Lashley & Randy Orton. Even then, he didn't win me over until that surprise return at the 2008 Rumble. That was a star-making moment and really blurred the lines for me and made me respect the hell out of Cena. Before, I thought his dedication to the company was all talk, that moment was the big deal and won me over.

He's always been a very mixed 'star' IMO. On his night, one of the best on the planet no question. At his worst, one of the worst main eventers of all time and I wish the WWE would showcase their up and comers properly because I want this guy to move over.

Banned

I figured out about November/December of 2004 that Cena would obviously be the guy to end JBL's reign at WM21.

Banned

Backlash 2003, when he faced Brock for the WWE Championship. I knew he would lose, but the fact that he was facing the WWE Champion on ppv so soon make it pretty obvious he was gonna be the guy sooner or later. Brock could have stayed and it wouldn't have changed a thing. Cena had more charisma and Brock was usually always a heel, and heels are never the top guys, at least not for long.

Thread Information