Thread: Why won't WWE make Smackdown Live?

Default Why won't WWE make Smackdown Live?

Why won't WWE make Smackdown Live? Surley it would bring in more ratings for the show if it was live, I just don't see the advantage of keeping a taped show. At one point smackdown had higher rating than Raw. For me it just doesn't make any sence.

Thanks To Hayze

Default Re: Why won't WWE make Smackdown Live?

I've heard it is more expensive to do a live show than a taped show but I don't know if that's true. The only thing I can think of is that if they did Smackdown live on Friday night than how would they get the footage for Main Event and Saturday Morning Slam? I guess that they could film Main Event when they do Raw (I think they do that now, not sure) but to tape SMS before or after Smackdown and get it cut together and ready to air in time for Saturday morning would be a real rush job. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

When did Smackdown have higher ratings than Raw? Not saying that you're wrong, I just don't recall that ever being the case.

As a fan, I wish it were live, as I really would care more (although it being on Friday is still a detriment for me). I get why they don't, though. It's easier for them to film every televised show near each other, than it is to do it apart. With the current way, the production crew would only need to be around for 2-3 days out of the week, which cuts down on costs.

I'm sure they've done the numbers before, but I'd like to know how much better the company would do if they put their all into Smackdown, like they used to. Doing that, along with making it live, would likely result in higher ratings and ad revenue, which would help with making up the costs mentioned above, I'd think. Still, Friday. I can't get into that. I could deal with Wednesday, if they were trying to get it closer to Monday.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

Banned

Before Smackdown, everyother Raw was taped.

There was a point in SmackDown's prime around 2002 that it did higher viewership than Raw, but never higher ratings.

Anyway, it would be a colossal waste of time and money to run the show live while it's on such a network. Back on UPN it would have made sense but they would never have given SmackDown a Tuesday night deal. The fact that they now can run live episodes of SmackDown is down to the low status of a network that is never going to provide a platform for SmackDown to be successful.

The only way to do this would be to have SmackDown live on Tuesdays, something they are testing the waters with every now and again, but ratings nearly always drop.

I think the ratings drop is just a matter of needing to go all in or not at all.

I do wonder how much USA gets from reshowing literally 16 episodes of SVU in a row on Tuesdays. Would it really hurt them to put some original programming on for just two hours of that day? They'd still have 14 episodes of SVU to show.

@thepwforum

You're probably right, if they committed to it long-term the ratings would stabilise, but they would need to increase to make it a worthwhile investment.

It's another example of a risk-reward situation the company needn't put itself in because the status quo is secure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I think the ratings drop is just a matter of needing to go all in or not at all.

I do wonder how much USA gets from reshowing literally 16 episodes of SVU in a row on Tuesdays. Would it really hurt them to put some original programming on for just two hours of that day? They'd still have 14 episodes of SVU to show.
    It's cheaper

Yeah, I think to virtually ensure it being worth the risk, several things would need to happen outside of just making it live, which isn't enough. I think the most important thing is moving networks, which is why I can't understand why USA won't take the opportunity they have.

I can't find ratings for L&O on Tuesday nights, but they can't be THAT big. We're talking about reruns of 10 year old episodes. Even USA's biggest original programming (minus Raw) gets 3 million or so. I'd think L&O gets a bit less than that on a regular basis.

Smackdown received 2.6 million viewers on Syfy last Friday. That's a respectable number, but let's look at the drawbacks it faces.

Friday night (many people are out)
    Syfy (second rate network)
    Not live (spoilerama)
    Fewer big names
    Very few storyline progressions, in comparison to Raw
    B show status by everyone involved.

If you change all of those things, I have a hard time believing that Smackdown's ratings won't increase enough for it to justify USA taking two hours of Law and Order from its lineup, out of a total 17 (I was wrong about 16 earlier). And as for that 17, that's just 17 in a row. USA shows 21 hours of Law and Order on Tuesdays. I mean, come on!

And yes, DanTheMan, it is much cheaper. But NBC Universal is taking the cost of airing Smackdown regardless, as they own both Syfy and USA. They also own NBC and, thus, the Law and Order franchise, so they definitely do have an incentive to showing it all the time. But 21 hours? Maybe I'm leaving something out, but I've never understood why both WWE and NBCU wouldn't want to maximize the potential audience for Smackdown.

Then again, maybe WWE wants a show it can edit to high hell before airing.

@thepwforum

Yeah, I think to virtually ensure it being worth the risk, several things would need to happen outside of just making it live, which isn't enough. I think the most important thing is moving networks, which is why I can't understand why USA won't take the opportunity they have.

I can't find ratings for L&O on Tuesday nights, but they can't be THAT big. We're talking about reruns of 10 year old episodes. Even USA's biggest original programming (minus Raw) gets 3 million or so. I'd think L&O gets a bit less than that on a regular basis.

Smackdown received 2.6 million viewers on Syfy last Friday. That's a respectable number, but let's look at the drawbacks it faces.

Not live (spoilerama)
    Fewer big names

If you change all of those things, I have a hard time believing that Smackdown's ratings won't increase enough for it to justify USA taking two hours of Law and Order from its lineup, out of a total 17 (I was wrong about 16 earlier). And as for that 17, that's just 17 in a row. USA shows 21 hours of Law and Order on Tuesdays. I mean, come on!

And yes, DanTheMan, it is much cheaper. But NBC Universal is taking the cost of airing Smackdown regardless, as they own both Syfy and USA. They also own NBC and, thus, the Law and Order franchise, so they definitely do have an incentive to showing it all the time. But 21 hours? Maybe I'm leaving something out, but I've never understood why both WWE and NBCU wouldn't want to maximize the potential audience for Smackdown.

See if Smackdown were to go live again then everythink else would fall into place, there wouldn't be spoilers therefore making more intriguing. I think the star quality is their just needs some decent storylines.

As for shows they can edit, thats what main event and superstars are for.

Thanks To Hayze

That what I said about the HOF show on USA they could have donr two hours and show the hole thing.

The only reason I can think of is that with every body on both shows now it would be to hard on them to do two live shows.

Not live (spoilerama)
    Fewer big names

You're on point with everything here.

As far as your USA point is concerned, I'm as baffled as you. Clearly the fact they pushed to add a third hour to Raw in times of pro wrestling decline shows that they are very reliant on WWE to deliver good numbers, why wouldn't they want SmackDown? With SmackDown now on a cable channel, negating the old purpose of SmackDown which was to broadcast to a wider broadcast network audience, I have no idea. I'm as stumped as you are.

I struggle to see a point to SmackDown these days, quite honestly.

Hi all

I for one like the SmackDown episodes that air live on Tuesday's on occasion. I remember reading a statement Batista said a few years ago, and it was basically the level of performance for the wrestlers increases when the show is done live. I do not like waiting til Friday to see a show that has been taped, and had it's contents leaked to the wrestling community. I attended a SmackDown taping on a Tuesday night a few years ago; it was different knowing what had taken place. At that time the show was still on Thursdays. I still watched the show to see how much of what I saw live actually made it to TV. I think if the show were to go live attendance would also increase. The WWE could go back to brand Identity, and stay in the same arena for two nights and save on travel costs. With the new set; they would not have to assemble new sets for the two shows. The only advantage to the show airing on Fridays is the WWE has a lead-in for the PPV on Sunday.

Not live (spoilerama)
    Fewer big names

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/179426/

This is from last night's overnights. The USA Law and Order's in the 8-11 timeslots did between 1.69 and 1.81 million. Smackdown usually hovers in the 2.4-2.6 mill range on Friday on Syfy. I think they'd probably get a small uptick on Tuesdays every week, but not much.

Remember that USA probably doesn't have to pay a dime for the rights to show L&O reruns because they're under the NBC umbrella. If they do, it's way less than what they pay WWE for rights fees.

Raw is a premium franchise, and I assume they pay lower rights fees to show Smackdown on Syfy. If they moved it to USA, I assume WWE would want a bump in fees, and that's probably where the conversation ends.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Banned

Costs $550k to run live, around $250k per ep taped, why do you think they keep it as it is.

Nobody has cared about SD for years, they have zero stars on the show and the matches mean nothing. Tag team main events aren't the most captivating gimmick to draw people in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/179426/

This is from last night's overnights. The USA Law and Order's in the 8-11 timeslots did between 1.69 and 1.81 million. Smackdown usually hovers in the 2.4-2.6 mill range on Friday on Syfy. I think they'd probably get a small uptick on Tuesdays every week, but not much.

Remember that USA probably doesn't have to pay a dime for the rights to show L&O reruns because they're under the NBC umbrella. If they do, it's way less than what they pay WWE for rights fees.

Raw is a premium franchise, and I assume they pay lower rights fees to show Smackdown on Syfy. If they moved it to USA, I assume WWE would want a bump in fees, and that's probably where the conversation ends.
    And yet they pushed for WWE to add a third hour to Raw, something that WWE charge for.

You're probably right, but it's inconsistent from WWE and from USA.

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

What if they made every other Smackdown taped?

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but ... dammit, give Falcy a modship!
    FALCONE 4 MOD 2027 (I'm being realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    And yet they pushed for WWE to add a third hour to Raw, something that WWE charge for.

You're probably right, but it's inconsistent from WWE and from USA.
    It is strange. But I imagine that USA has a reason to want Monday as wrestling night, and then keep the rest of their schedule clear. I don't remember if there's a seasonal point where they run their original shows on Tuesday or not, but I assume there's a method to their madness. It might just be a demographic issue. The 18-49's might be better than we think for L&O.

"I like cake."

Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

If USA wanted to do that, they would just put on ALL of WWE's programming. USA won't air more than one WWE show. That's why each of WWE's shows are on different networks. SmackDown is on SyFy, RAW is on USA., SMS in on the CW, and Main event is on ION. They all want a WWE show, but none of them want to be known as "the wrestling channel".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I don't remember if there's a seasonal point where they run their original shows on Tuesday or not, .
    Yes they run
    White Collard Due back in June I think
    Cobver Affiars also due back in June or July

They run these at 9 and 10 PM EST

Quote Originally Posted by LTS View Post
    Yes they run
    White Collard Due back in June I think
    Cobver Affiars also due back in June or July

They run these at 9 and 10 PM EST
    Then I'm sure that plays a major part in it. Schedule flexibility is important to a network like USA that really staggers its original shows, and putting WWE on half of the real televised nights would probably be a bad move.

"I like cake."

Thread Information