Thread: Non-Title Fights (Help a Newb please)

Default Non-Title Fights (Help a Newb please)

First things first...

I am new to Pro Wrestling after taking a 15 year hiatus and I have a few questions...

1) What's with all the non-title matches involving Champions? The Champs get pinned CLEAN but it was a non-title fight. Having Champs lose kind of cheapens their image doesn't it?

2) Does the WWE hate Chris Jericho? Matched him up with a rookie at WM and had him lose? Also... I don't think he's won a match since I've come back to Pro Wrestling. What gives?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Default Re: Non-Title Fights (Help a Newb please)

1) Yes it is stupid and does cheapen their image. #StupidWWECreative

2) WWE LOVES Jericho. But Jericho isn't the same guy from when you last were watching. He's main-evented WrestleMania's, 6-time World Champion (incl. 1st ever Undisputed World Champion when he beat WWF Champion Stone Cold and WCW Champion Rock in the same night to unify the titles.) He's a legend. He's only a part time performer now. He's brought back to put over people. Fandango beat him because he's the future.

I enjoy how the OP's name is McJobber and Jericho is his avatar.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    1) Yes it is stupid and does cheapen their image. #StupidWWECreative

2) WWE LOVES Jericho. But Jericho isn't the same guy from when you last were watching. He's main-evented WrestleMania's, 6-time World Champion (incl. 1st ever Undisputed World Champion when he beat WWF Champion Stone Cold and WCW Champion Rock in the same night to unify the titles.) He's a legend. He's only a part time performer now. He's brought back to put over people. Fandango beat him because he's the future.
    Thank you.

Question 1 still boggles me mind. Example... I am watching Smackdown on PVR (catching up) and the US Champ just went up against the IC Champ. Why?!?! No title on the line... clean pin... 1-2-3... what was the point?

Question 2... makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by McJobber View Post
    Thank you.

Question 1 still boggles me mind. Example... I am watching Smackdown on PVR (catching up) and the US Champ just went up against the IC Champ. Why?!?! No title on the line... clean pin... 1-2-3... what was the point?

Question 2... makes sense.
    To fill time. They have no idea what to do with people in the midcard so they put them in matches and have them beat eachother to fill 15 minutes of TV time. Both the IC and US titles mean next to nothing these days

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    To fill time. They have no idea what to do with people in the midcard so they put them in matches and have them beat eachother to fill 15 minutes of TV time. Both the IC and US titles mean next to nothing these days
    Are you serious?

As a kid the IC belt was held by some amazing talent!

Macho Man, Honky Tonk, The Dragon, Ultimate Warrior!

Man, things have changed!

I'm actually back to Wrestling because I defected from the UFC. Those fights are starting to become more staged than WWE... but WWE at least admits it!

And while we're at it...

Why are there 2 Major Champs? I've read up on the Brand extension, etc... but the WWE Champ gets Waaaaaay more attention than the Heavy Weight Champ...

But technically they're the same, right?

That's lame.

1 Champ...

BUT... at least WWE is exciting.

The brand extension is basically over. Eventually they will unify the titles but right now they're still running two sets of house shows and need a champion for each one.

Are you serious?

As a kid the IC belt was held by some amazing talent!

Macho Man, Honky Tonk, The Dragon, Ultimate Warrior!

Man, things have changed!

I'm actually back to Wrestling because I defected from the UFC. Those fights are starting to become more staged than WWE... but WWE at least admits it!

And while we're at it...

Why are there 2 Major Champs? I've read up on the Brand extension, etc... but the WWE Champ gets Waaaaaay more attention than the Heavy Weight Champ...

But technically they're the same, right?

That's lame.

1 Champ...

BUT... at least WWE is exciting.
    What I always say is, think of the WHC like the modern day IC title and then it all becomes less offensive.

HAYZE

Banned

Man, you have a whole lot to catch up on. Great, bad, and horrible times rolled into those 15 years you've been away.

First things first...

I am new to Pro Wrestling after taking a 15 year hiatus and I have a few questions...

1) What's with all the non-title matches involving Champions? The Champs get pinned CLEAN but it was a non-title fight. Having Champs lose kind of cheapens their image doesn't it?

2) Does the WWE hate Chris Jericho? Matched him up with a rookie at WM and had him lose? Also... I don't think he's won a match since I've come back to Pro Wrestling. What gives?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    jericho is a jobber, McJobber... sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you.

I'm more in shock that you gave up wrestling during the start of the Atitude era. I gurantee if you would have watched through all of that and then stopped there's no way you would feel WWe's current product is exciting.

It's a traditional formula to give the challenger a believeable chance and to also swerve the fans for the PPV where the champion retains. My favorite example of this is Tatanka Vs. Shawn Michaels. Tatanka had beaten HBK in two matches leading into Wrestlemania 9 giving the illusion that Tatanka was going to win the title, but failed to do so.

It's a combination of both. Jericho goes into detail about it in his Undisputed book. Basically, Vince never trusted Jericho enough to carry the company while Y2J is more humble about putting guys over (like Bret Hart and The Rock) rather than being another self-serving politician that goes over / protects himself all the time (Hogan, Michaels, Helmsley, etc.) as he's had to deal with backstage politics in both WCW and WWE.

My own theory: Jericho losing to Punk at Wrestlemania 28 was him passing the torch as he's more about performing with his rock band, Fozzy, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    It's a traditional formula to give the challenger a believeable chance and to also swerve the fans for the PPV where the champion retains. My favorite example of this is Tatanka Vs. Shawn Michaels. Tatanka had beaten HBK in two matches leading into Wrestlemania 9 giving the illusion that Tatanka was going to win the title, but failed to do so.

When it is used on a weekly basis it makes zero fucking sense and does nothing for the title or the guy holding it. They do not use it as a means to swerve the fans anymore. For years now title holders constantly lose non title matches. This happens to every title holder except the WWE champion.

Get used to seeing the IC and US champs always losing non title matches. Occasional the WHC champ loses as well but nowhere near as often as the other two.

One stupid pet peeve of mine is when there is a non-title match between a champion and a top contender and the champion wins by pinfall or submission. Why couldn't they just make it a title match?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    One stupid pet peeve of mine is when there is a non-title match between a champion and a top contender and the champion wins by pinfall or submission. Why couldn't they just make it a title match?
    Sometimes it could be to make title matches on PPVs seem more important (by having less of them on free tv).

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    What I always say is, think of the WHC like the modern day IC title and then it all becomes less offensive.

Yeah but what's the point of having the IC and US titles then ? Still offensive to me.

Thread Information