Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephanie Mcmahon: "Triple H almost defined the Attitude Era"

Default Stephanie Mcmahon: "Triple H almost defined the Attitude Era"

Forbes.com has an article about Triple H and Stephanie McMahon's marriage, with quotes from the power couple. In the article, The Game spoke about the Attitude Era.
    "It's one of those things — I've talked about this with Austin and a little bit with Rock, too — you don't realize is happening at the time; it's just what you're doing," said Triple H. "We were all so wrapped up in what we were doing, and it was so competitive with each other. It's only now that I think we can look back and go, 'Wow. That was a pretty special time, and we shared some pretty special things all together and made history.' I think at the time you're doing it, you realize it's going well, but you're just so deep in there that you can't even fathom really what you're doing. To look back at it now and see all those times, and to watch the video game…when we did the voiceovers to the video game, to go back and watch some of those scenes take place, it's crazy because you forget what a…that was just another day then."

Stephanie McMahon stated that Triple H "defined the Attitude Era." Triple H discussed his wife watching his matches.

"It's funny because she knows me so well that she sees the smallest little things in there and when I come back she'll be like, 'Then this happened,'" he said. "She knows all the little intricacies of everything we do and knows me so well that she can see it whether I'm hurt or not hurt. She'll be watching almost more intently than anybody."
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: Stephanie Mcmahon: "Triple H defined the Attitude Era"

Triple H... defined the Attitude Era, yes because it's not like Stephanie McMahon would be biased as fuck with that statement or anything.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Well, in a way he kinda did.
    - Credit JV -
    Insert something hilarious here

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Well, in a way he kinda did.
    More so then "Stone Cold" Steve Austin... I think not.

Well, yeah. HHH and Shawn kick started it, while Rock, Austin, Taker and Foley were all at the top, a lot of the era was dedicated to HHH's rise to the top, before having all of 2000 dedicated to him.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

He was the top heel who was actually a wrestler, so I don't see how that's such an offensive statement.

HAYZE

He was an integral part no doubt, but, umm, no. He'd be fourth in line, in my opinion, after Austin, Vince, and Rock, possibly in that order.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

I don't think she means it the way it's coming across. Obviously Austin defined the Attitude era. HHH was such a constant presence though throughout it's beginning and end. He played a huge part.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    He was the top heel who was actually a wrestler, so I don't see how that's such an offensive statement.

Of course the usual suspects will have a field day with it, though.
    Never said it was offensive, just that it holds little water with me considering she's married to the guy... makes me wonder if she'd have a different opinion on who defined the attitude era if she wasn't married to him is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    Never said it was offensive, just that it holds little water with me considering she's married to the guy... makes me wonder if she'd have a different opinion on who defined the attitude era if she wasn't married to him is all.
    Like Todd said, I don't think she means that he was most important to it than Austin. Eras don't have to be "defined" by just one person.

HAYZE

How about we get her actual statement, then? All we're going by is the report in the first post, which only partially quotes her. Should be a thread-ender here.

“For me the attitude era was a lot of fun,” said Triple H.

“ He almost defined the attitude era,” added McMahon. “He was a huge component of it.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...-fire-burning/
    So it's good to know she's not entirely crazy and biased. What she said is much closer to truth than what had been implied before. I still stand by what I said earlier, in that he's fourth in line. If that still means almost, she's right.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

Triple H was part of what defined the attitude era, for sure. Not the biggest part by any stretch, but he's up there nonetheless, particularly towards the end.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

HHH I have admitted to being the greatest heel champion in WWE history, but he wasn't the top heel for the Attitude Era. That mantra belongs to the boss!!!

If anyone think that is disputed take out the boss out of storylines from when Bret Hart returned in 1996 all the way to when Ruthless Aggression Era begins and see how much heat the company would have in comparison. A lot of the product falls apart imo.

It's her husband, so it's understandable. It still is nepotism though. I can see she meant HHH is the DEFINITION of the Attitude Era, but that is not what she said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    How about we get her actual statement, then? All we're going by is the report in the first post, which only partially quotes her. Should be a thread-ender here.
    Thanks for the assist. I knew it had to be that she meant.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

She said he was a huge component. Which he was.

Really can't be disputed.

Thanks Heteroflexible

Default Re: Stephanie Mcmahon: "Triple H almost defined the Attitude Era"

Vince was a bigger heel than HHH, but I think if you take HHH out of 2000 then you're in trouble. He really was the focal point of the product, he was all over every show. He was a key component.

Interesting that the end of the Attitude era boom coincided with HHH getting injured and missing the InVasion angle. Of course, the primary reason that failed was the fact that it sucked. But nevertheless, it's an interesting coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Vince was a bigger heel than HHH, but I think if you take HHH out of 2000 then you're in trouble. He really was the focal point of the product, he was all over every show. He was a key component.

Interesting that the end of the Attitude era boom coincided with HHH getting injured and missing the InVasion angle. Of course, the primary reason that failed was the fact that it sucked. But nevertheless, it's an interesting coincidence.
    I don't think the wwe would be in trouble because the WWE Champion could have easily been The Rock. The Rock was the one who put him over at WM 16 like gang bangers. Now HHH did take the opportunity given and ran with the ball no doubt. The company could have even used Mick Foley if need be as well as I'm sure he would have stuck around if something happened to HHH.

The boss was still there and the feud could have continued with the boss throwing challenger after challenger trying to get the belt off The Rock. Before HHH got injured in 2001 I think he would have probably been better as a babyface too actually at SummerSlam and the Invasion. That injury really did miss him up and he wasn't the same. Now the question to be asked is would HHH have taken over as the top babyface more strong than Austin and Rock before him? I don't know if he would have. The company was going to go downhill after Rock and Austin's peak of popularity.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

He kinda did define what the Attitude Era was about. What he did with DX - being rebellious, raunchy, pushing the limits with what you could get away with it, etc. - defined the spirit of the Attitude Era in general. One of the first real signs of "attitude" was the stuff him and Michaels did when DX was first former in the fall of 1997. I also think his 2000 run defined what a top heel should be like.

Of course, he is lower on the totem pole in overall importance behind Austin, Rock and Vince.

Also, what HHH said about how it was just another day to him/them back then and he only realizes how great and special those times were when looking back is exactly how I look back at the Attitude Era (and the Monday Night Wars in general) as a fan. Back then, I knew it was great, but I just thought wrestling was almost always that good. I didn't realize it'd be such a magical time when looking back on it (though I'm NOT one of those fans who clamor constantly for the AE to come back, I accept that time has come and gone.)
    Last edited by KLockard23; 04-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    Back then, I knew it was great, but I just thought wrestling was almost always that good. I didn't realize it'd be such a magical time when looking back on it (though I'm NOT one of those fans who clamor constantly for the AE to come back, I accept that time has come and gone.)
    It was like capturing lightning in a bottle. It can only happen once. Apart from Austin, The Rock, Hunter, Foley we had the Undertaker, Kane and tag teams like Edge/Christian, the Hardyz, The Dudleys and APA. And here is a really nice thing - they actually wrote stories for the mid card and the Tag Teams and (god forbid) even the Women's comp.

Perhaps my memory is incorrect here but back in the late '90's, early 2000's, almost every PPV match seemed to have a story behind it and some had been built up over many months of RAW and Smackdown story lines. The Kane/XPac feud was built up for nearly a year, and that was Mid Card stuff. Ditto with the Edge/Christian break up.

Today, apart from things like The Rock/Cena seem to be more an instant gratification thing. Stories can start and finish in a couple of weeks, and be forgotten or ignored completely, and history rewritten to accommodate a new angle. The suspension of disbelief, an essential part for enjoying Pro. Wrestling tends to vanish when something you saw a fortnight ago has turned into something else completely

All the product really needs is better story telling all the way down, rather than just throwing matches together to fill up three hours. And largely, RAW going for three hours without decent writing is IMHO a mistake.

Norm

well um duh he kind of did...

he was attiude in dx with shawn michaels before the attitude was cool.. and could you imagine the attitude era without heel HHH.. Nope didn't think so.. He was the year 2000 which is regarded as one of the best years in the company.

Thank you TGO for actually putting what she really said. Some people...

Here's the full interview, including Triple H's thoughts on what keeps the fire burning in their relationship.

Last edited by Miss HHH; 04-20-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

It was a group effort. HHH was obviously a piece of the puzzle. Austin, Vince, Foley, and Rock were every bit as much of it to.

Banned

That's like saying Billy Defined the Power Rangers.

Austin had Vince, Rock had H. Rock would never have survived as well as he did on top as a huge babyface in 2000 unless he had H as his main villain. Austin was injured, Taker was injured, Show sucked, Foley retired; If one rivalry can define an entire year then 2000 was all about Rock vs. Triple H.

Boo-tista? How about Daniel Boo-ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by queen madness View Post
    That's like saying Billy Defined the Power Rangers.
    Lol. That was good.

Seeds for the Attitude era were planted at King of the Ring 96 by Austin. When I think of the Attitude Era I think of 1999. During this year Austin was defining wrestling.

Thread Information