Thread: Eric Bischoff Talks Where WCW Would Be At Today, TNA Goals & More

Default Eric Bischoff Talks Where WCW Would Be At Today, TNA Goals & More

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna/...VdYA4ZItYcO.99

- Eric Bischoff was interviewed by Brian Thompson of the Neck Breaker Podcast. Here are some highlights:

If people in the wrestling industry read dirt sheets: "Oh, sure. I mean, anyone that says they don't is probably lying to themselves or intentionally lying to somebody else. I for one read them and I read them for entertainment because it amazes me how small minded or uneducated a lot of these supposed wrestling experts, or people that put themselves out as experts, are and how far off the mark they are about so many of the things that they write and the positions they take. I also read them because a lot of times, things leak from inside of the office and you need to be aware of what's out there in the universe when there are certain things you don't want out there. Whether it's a story line or a talent issue, or a direction that you're going. So, I monitor it simply to make sure the things I deem [secret] need to stay inside and part of story, part of character and part of talent development do so. And when they don't we're pretty hard to find out why not and the reason for that leak. But ya, it happens. I'm sure for some people more than others, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't check them on a regular basis."

Where would WCW be if it were still around in 2013: "It's impossible to answer with any credibility because there's just no way of knowing. Had we had the television, had we had the financial backing, the way we did by the way. It wasn't a question as to whether or not we were going to get the financial backing. We had it. That wasn't the reason why we didn't acquire WCW. The reason we didn't acquire WCW is an incoming, rotating door, new head of Turner at that time, took prime time television literally out of the deal that we had already negotiated. Once that happened there was no way to make any sense of it. It was really just a video library and some ring mats. There's no way of knowing. I can tell you what I would have liked to happen, but who knows what would have happened."

If there's anything TNA is doing better than WWE: "That's hard. I have a lot of respect for the folks over at WWE and I have a ton of respect for what they've accomplished within the industry. So for me to take an adverse position on anything they're doing, quite frankly I'd be thrilled with just about any of their mistakes at this point. [laughter] When I look at the television product, and again you have to look at what we do and what they do within context, meaning they're on probably the number two or three network that averages more than likely 3 million viewers all week long in prime time. We're on a smaller network. They've got a budget of probably, and I'm guessing, I don't know this, but they've got a budget of probably 6, 7 maybe even 800,000 an episode to work with. We have a fraction of a fraction of that. They're a 30 plus year old company that's been around for a long long time. It's got a lot of brand affinity and history and relationship with generations of wrestling fans around the country and around the world. TNA has been around they say ten years, but probably really seven or eight as a viable company. So you can't really compare. It's not apples to apples.

"That being said, when I look at the way we tell our stories, I, along with my partner Jason Hervey, have a very successful television production company, one of the more successful ones in Hollywood and we have since 2003. We produce shows for every major cable network and a few of the bigger networks like NBC. We have a fairly good knowledge of television and how it works and the audience and what the networks are looking for. One of the advantages I think TNA has with BHE [his company], myself and Jason, is that we're able to bring things that work in other formats, particularly in reality, and integrate them into a wrestling format. The wrestling format has pretty much been the same for the last 15 years and prior to that it was the same for 30 years. Now we're changing things. We're adding more reality. If you look at the Aces and Eights story, that story from conception to what you saw last night is over a year old and while along the way we've had to bob an weave a little bit, make some changes due to circumstances, some of them out of our control, whether they be injuries, talent contract issues or whatever, for the most part we've been able to keep that story very on the rails, very episodic.

"If you saw the show last night [with Bully Ray's explanation about joining Aces & Eights], for the first time ever, we're taking the audience back and showing them what they missed. Not that they may not have tuned in, but they may not have realized how that story was unfolding before their eyes. It's a little bit like putting on a magic show and then taking people backstage and showing them just a little bit of the magic. We didn't show them all the magic. We didn't get into all of the nuance and detail because there's some of it that we're still going to reveal; we didn't lay everything out there last night. But that's never been done before. We're essentially telling or teaching the viewers how to watch our show because what we're doing and the way we're telling our stories is different than what we used to do and it's certainly different than what WWE does. As in any program, it doesn't matter what it is, you have to train the viewer or guide the viewer along the way to help them really understand where those changes are and how to watch the show. Hopefully now viewers will start watching for little nuance within a story. They'll start looking for the bobs and the weaves and looking for the depth of the story that was actually created, as opposed to grading a dropkick or talking about a hurricanrana.

"It's time that the wrestling product evolves and becomes much more episodic as well as more character driven, but in a real way. Not just pay lip service to it, because everybody pays lip service to it. We've done it. We're building long term arcs and we take those long term arcs and create weekly bibles. And we take those weekly bibles and they're the basis and the outline of every format. We plan our shows six months in advance. I don't care what anybody says, that doesn't happen anywhere else. It's certainly not happening in the WWE and anybody that says it is is lying through their teeth. We know enough people there on the creative side of things to know how that process works and it's not what we're doing. Now, they're having tremendous success doing not what we're doing [laughter] so more power to them, but you're asking me what we're doing differently and I think the way we tell our stories, the way we're trying to help our audience along to how to appreciate and watch those stories, as well as providing great wrestling action. I think that's what we're doing differently."

If he has any TNA goals: "My goal isn't as much personal achievement in TNA because quite frankly my role is such that I'm not positioned to achieve much on a personal basis or a professional basis, individually within TNA. I'm a support mechanism. I oversee to a large degree creative, along with Bruce Pritchard. I enjoy the hell out of working with the staff that we have. We're looking forward to bringing in some more people. I really like teaching them the thing's I've learned, not only from the wrestling business, but the way to present television, the way to present story, the way to present character that's new and different than the way we've always done it in wrestling. I get a big kick out of that. It's very rewarding for me to work with those guys and watch them grow."

---------

That's really is damn risible and laughable. Hey Bischoff, the problem with building your shows 6 months in advance is that when the storylines sucks, you're stuck with the same crap for 6 months and people can get sick of it pretty fast. Since you cannot change things on the fly.

The many months build only works when you do a stellar angle like when Bret Hart turned heel and all it took to change him over the course of months.

Also EB talks about reality, is Bully talking about the storyline in vignettes seems more real to you? It helped people understand it more but if anything it felt more scripted and less real. Bischoff should watch the old WCW shows and nWo, those felt a lot more real and raw and genuine. The moment you have to explain what you did it screams "storyline! storyline! we have a storyline, look at how much our writing is genius!".

I really think Bischoff has gone too deep into his venture with Jason Harvey and he thinks they're God's gift to tv show productions and he forgot what he was doing right in WCW. He forgot to think like a wrestling booker.
    Last edited by Butters' Pitt; 04-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Eric Bischoff Talks Where WCW Would Be At Today, TNA Goals & More

"If you saw the show last night [with Bully Ray's explanation about joining Aces & Eights], for the first time ever, we're taking the audience back and showing them what they missed. Not that they may not have tuned in, but they may not have realized how that story was unfolding before their eyes. It's a little bit like putting on a magic show and then taking people backstage and showing them just a little bit of the magic. We didn't show them all the magic. We didn't get into all of the nuance and detail because there's some of it that we're still going to reveal; we didn't lay everything out there last night. But that's never been done before..."

Bischoff did the same crap on an episode of TNA Reaction when he walked us thru months of storyline regarding the formation of "Immortal".
    Boring then, boring now.
    He doesn't even remember the boring stunts that they pulled 2.5 years ago.

This isn't the Bischoff I know.

The Bischoff I know wouldn't do such a tame interview, dude isn't the same as he was 15 years back. It's just a job to him now, before he really wanted to break records and shake shit up.

*sigh*

Bit of a misleading thread title tbh, as Bischoff's answer to the question of "what would have happened if WCW had continued to exist?" is a long-winded "dunno".

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Banned

Bischoff has already said he is planning on retiring soon, maybe he is just filling time. Sure doesn't seem to really care anymore.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONA
    Bit of a misleading thread title tbh, as Bischoff's answer to the question of "what would have happened if WCW had continued to exist?" is a long-winded "dunno".
    Eh, that was a pointless question anyways. I mean, we all know WCW would be in the same place it's at today even if Bischoff had successfully purchased it. He would have just prolonged the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Eh, that was a pointless question anyways. I mean, we all know WCW would be in the same place it's at today even if Bischoff had successfully purchased it. He would have just prolonged the inevitable.
    It was going in the right direction towards the end..

Quote Originally Posted by Jung Dragon
    It was going in the right direction towards the end..
    Didn't matter, the WWE was unstoppable beast at that point. They would have eventually sucked the company dry or just completely crush them.

Didn't matter, the WWE was unstoppable beast at that point. They would have eventually sucked the company dry or just completely crush them.
    But then they went PG, who knows what direction WCW would have taken. They could have overtaken them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jung Dragon
    But then they went PG, who knows what direction WCW would have taken. They could have overtaken them again.
    How? The WWE had a crapload of talent and even the ECW brand in their back pocket. Not to mention, WCW wasn't even gonna be on a big time TV station anymore since AOL/Time-Warner were just gonna drop it anyways. Simply continuing to exist would have been a battle for the company. Especially once the wrestling industry fell on hard times.

How? The WWE had a crapload of talent and even the ECW brand in their back pocket. Not to mention, WCW wasn't even gonna be on a big time TV station anymore since AOL/Time-Warner were just gonna drop it anyways. Simply continuing to exist would have been a battle for the company. Especially once the wrestling industry fell on hard times.
    I'm talking if it was still going the way Bischoff envisioned, still with a TV deal.

Talent wise WCW was hurting slightly, but really - they had too many anyway, far too many. They were building up the younger guys.

Banned

I also believe that even if Bischoff acquired a TV deal, WCW still goes under, unless they REALLY got their act together creatively. They probably would have gone belly up without someone like Ted Turner funding them. Jim Crockett himself was set to go bankrupt several years before but then Turner saved him.

It wasn't even just WWE that was killing WCW in the 90's, they did it mostly to themselves. They still had ratings in the high 5's in early 1999 but throwing Goldberg (their hottest star) in the midcard and splitting the NWO caused ratings to drop and drop hard starting in April of 1999. I really think WCW could have had more of a fighting chance if they had just fought it out till 2002 - WWE lost both Austin and Rock that year. MAYBE WCW could have acquired talent like Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista, Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Rico, and others. Maybe they could have even acquired a talent like RVD (who was hugely popular and got cheered over most of the WWE stars) when ECW died. They still had a good deal of talent that could have been made into bigger stars as it was - Booker T., Scott Steiner (who WWE also had big plans for before the 2003 Royal Rumble and No Way Out matches ruined everything for him), Lance Storm, Chuck Plaumbo, Sean O'Haire (WWE were high on him, too), Mark Jindrak (WWE had plans for him at one point, he was considered as the 4th man of Evolution), etc.
    Last edited by KLockard23; 04-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.

I don't think its fair to say WCW would have failed if they had a TV deal, they were in a re-building stage when they went under - they still had some great talent and great minds backstage. They just needed to pull it all together and it was happening slowly.

Banned

I'm basing it off the fact that the previous two years were such shit (they flopped with their two big angles - Goldberg/NWO) and the fact that they had a deal years before but without Turner funding them, it's questionable how long they would have lasted then.

I DID say however, that if they pulled it together, they had all they needed to make a comeback and be successful.

People would disagree with me but if WCW would have returned to what worked, the nWo and kept it strong, they would have maintained at least a 3 rating for most of 1999 and 2000. Regardless if it sucks and it's the same tired old shit. WWE would probably continue to go into the 5s, but at least WCW would have continue to thrive in some forth. They didn't have to beat the WWF, they were so obsessed by them that this was their ondoing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    I also believe that even if Bischoff acquired a TV deal, WCW still goes under, unless they REALLY got their act together creatively. They probably would have gone belly up without someone like Ted Turner funding them. Jim Crockett himself was set to go bankrupt several years before but then Turner saved him.

It wasn't even just WWE that was killing WCW in the 90's, they did it mostly to themselves. They still had ratings in the high 5's in early 1999 but throwing Goldberg (their hottest star) in the midcard and splitting the NWO caused ratings to drop and drop hard starting in April of 1999. I really think WCW could have had more of a fighting chance if they had just fought it out till 2002 - WWE lost both Austin and Rock that year. MAYBE WCW could have acquired talent like Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista, Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Rico, and others. Maybe they could have even acquired a talent like RVD (who was hugely popular and got cheered over most of the WWE stars) when ECW died. They still had a good deal of talent that could have been made into bigger stars as it was - Booker T., Scott Steiner (who WWE also had big plans for before the 2003 Royal Rumble and No Way Out matches ruined everything for him), Lance Storm, Chuck Plaumbo, Sean O'Haire (WWE were high on him, too), Mark Jindrak (WWE had plans for him at one point, he was considered as the 4th man of Evolution), etc.
    Worst thing is, Time Warner really had the idea of selling WCW cause Bischoff approached them first in 2000 to buy the company. Of course they were losing money but still. Talks continued with Bischoff later on and they were about to sell it to him but then they decided they not only wanted to sell it by they wanted to get rid of wrestling altogether. That means no WCW on Time Warner/Turner tv. Then he pulled out and they had to choose another buyer.

Wich means that if EB would have kept his mouth shut, just try to get booking power from Russo and return as WCW president and keep it going for a few more years and just cut cost, they may have survived and do much better than even TNA is doing now. They had just pulled a few 2s when they got sold to Vince.

Thread Information