Thread: Bruno speaks about special meeting before Hall of Fame with the boss!!

Default Bruno speaks about special meeting before Hall of Fame with the boss!!

Bruno Sammartino was a guest on The NB Show where he talked about his recent induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. You can hear the interview here. Here are highlights:

On the hug from Vince McMahon at the WWE Hall of Fame: "I didn't expect that."

On the meeting he had with McMahon before that: "The private meeting that took place was at MSG that evening [of the Hall of Fame]. His son-in-law Triple H and Stephanie came to my dressing room, I had my own dressing room, and they asked me, you know, Vince is waiting in his dressing room down the hall and if I minded going over there. I went. Stephanie opened the door and I went in and she shut the door so Vince and I were alone. He was standing toward the back of the room. And as I came in I was waiting for him to make the first move to see what he was going to say before I responded. And actually as I walked in he looked at me and he smiled and said ‘Bruno, welcome home' just like that.

And I said ‘Well, Vince I'm glad to be home, but we both know the situation and what brought me back home. I have been very critical of you.' I told him right to his face, ‘You know I have been very critical of you, but I also will recognize the fact that you have made drastic changes and for that I applaud you. But for all these years, I did not like what happened to the business that I spent 25 years in and the turns it took; drugs, nudity, etc.'

Vince said, ‘Well, Bruno, I know you were always very outspoken about what you believed. I hope now you are satisfied of the changes. They are in the past, we want to go forward and we want to do a better and better product. And we are very happy that you are back.' He did say this to me, which I appreciate, ‘When it was the World Wide Wrestling Federation you were the main reason for this organization to become as big as it did. So we want this (HOF Induction) to happen and we're thrilled that it has happened' And that was it. So I said, ‘Thank you. As long as things stay that way and keep moving forward with improving the product. At this stage of my life there is not much I can do to contribute, but if there is something, especially with young talent, I'd be willing to do that. As long as the product gets better and better' And that was it basically."

On his response to critics like Superstar Billy Graham and Mark Madden who say he only accepted the Hall of Fame invitation because of the money: "They're both a couple of pathetic idiots, especially this guy Madden, who never has anything good to say about anything or anybody."

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/1...tails-revealed
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Default Re: Bruno speaks about special meeting before Hall of Fame with the boss!!

Good for Bruno staying true to his principles and speaking candidly to McMahon. The man has integrity.

Default Re: Bruno speaks about special meeting before Hall of Fame with the boss!!

‘You know I have been very critical of you, but I also will recognize the fact that you have made drastic changes and for that I applaud you. But for all these years, I did not like what happened to the business that I spent 25 years in and the turns it took; drugs, nudity, etc.'
    I don't mean to come off as an ass but does Bruno not realize without stuff like that happening, there probably wouldn't be a WWE in 2013, without all the things the WWE did during the attitude era they would have most likely been out of business and WCW would have won the Monday Night Wars... in otherwards he wouldn't have been in Madison Square Garden having that conversation with Vince in the first place.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    I don't mean to come off as an ass but does Bruno not realize without stuff like that happening, there probably wouldn't be a WWE in 2013, without all the things the WWE did during the attitude era they would have most likely been out of business and WCW would have won the Monday Night Wars... in otherwards he wouldn't have been in Madison Square Garden having that conversation with Vince in the first place.
    To be honest the wwf would still have survived imo. I posted some things in another thread that kind of counter argues the point that the wwf would have gone belly up. If the company survived putting all its eggs into one basket in 1985 and the steroid and drug trials it would have survived the war. The question is HOW well which who knows. Would it have been just as huge? Mot likely not, but the company had a much stronger structure than wcw who only had the Turner networks. If WCW started expanding to other wwf markets it might have been a different story, but they never did in the scope that the wwf always did.

Jim Ross use to always mention this in his blogs, but it was never taken seriously. I think with the Montreal Screwjob and the boss alone gaining so much heat the company was bound to turn around without some of the excessive stuff. It actually didn't start to get that way until 1999 really with going overboard.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Ey Paisan how ya doooon? [Italiano]'s Avatar

Its a nice interview! You can watch the full show here: http://ring-rap.com/articles/bruno-s...nce-mcmahon--2
    #1 WWE Champion Bruno Sammartino

Big Guido - Chuck Palombo - Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli - "Main Man" Tracy Smothers - Nunzio - Sal E. Graziano -
    Salvatore Bellomo - "The Big Don" Tommy Rich - Tony Mamaluke - Trinity - Val Puccio - Vito

FULL BLOODED ITALIANS

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    I have to agree with you. When WCW started kicking the E's ass, it was clear that Vince took one look at the situation and said "What can we do that WCW can't? Well, they're on the Turner stations which are family oriented networks. They can't be controversial and push the envelope. We can." Oddly enough, the more outrageous the E got, the less controversial WCW was forced to be by the network in order to distinguish themselves as not being the same as that "trashy" wrestling company. WCW had to refer to blood as "red liquid" and foreign objects were called "international objects". Had the E not gone to that extreme, WCW would have undoubtedly won the war. Before the Attitude era really went full bore the E was hurting financially and most of the roster wanted to go to WCW so they could get the guaranteed, big money.

The only thing flawed with that argument that WCW couldn't counter the WWF attitude was that when Vince Russo jumped ship WCW became "Attitude Era V2" where guys like Booker T became The Book, Hogan became "Austin lite", and matches like Goldberg vs. Sid Vicious became attempts to copy Austin/Bret from WM 13. WCW started doing this in late '99, while by 2000 the WWF changed around with more wrestling oriented/heavy product with the likes of Angle, Jericho, and The Radicalz in the midcard and Rock/HHH putting on ironman matches.

The boss getting backers for the Tyson ordeal and then going public pretty much was going to be the goal once the company past the low point of late 96 and some troubled spots in early 97.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Nice to see the fences mended. Sounds like there's a lot of warmth between them.

Yeah it's good to see especially since this is a landmark year for the company he made. The history dvd later this year should be interesting with his commentary.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Never thought Bruno and Vince would even speak candidly to each other ever again. Glad he is finally in the HOF. No one deserves it more than Bruno, who put this company on the map in the first place. Without Bruno, probably wouldn't even be a WWE.

I do wonder where Bruno goes now, or once his DVD is out rather. Spot appearances would seem so odd!?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
    I do wonder where Bruno goes now, or once his DVD is out rather. Spot appearances would seem so odd!?
    Got a movie to plug, so appearances are still possible.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

nice read.

with all the history between them im actually a tad suprised bruno didnt tell stephanie to ask vince to come to HIS dressing room though
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Thread Information