Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone who turns heel on Cena...actually in the right?

Default Why is everyone who turns heel on Cena...actually in the right?

Consider this thread a continuation of the brief discussion which took place in the Raw party thread, as well as a sequel to "Why John Cena with AJ was a bad idea - and why are we supposed to cheer him?" from earlier in the year.

I couldn't help but notice the clear similarities between AJ's heel turn on Cena, and what has happened recently with Ryback. That similarity is that the heel in both cases was quite clearly telling the truth, yet WWE through their commentary team put a completely illogical spin on it, distorting the facts and making ridiculously offensive stereotypical comments to justify John Cena's position as the golden boy.

When AJ turned on Cena at TLC, she explained her actions quite clearly and sensibly. Cena had screwed around with her feelings for months, despite everyone being aware that she was emotionally sensitive and scarred. Cena knew that AJ liked him, and made her feel like she liked him back. AJ even lost her job as General Manager because of her crush on him. Cena kissed AJ, but then just a couple of weeks later said that he wanted nothing to do with her. She broke his heart, so to get payback she cost him a match.

Perfectly logical right? Yet the line was that AJ was just a crazy chick - and that it was somehow completely outrageous that she would blame Cena for everything that happened. And then if that wasn't bad enough, the fact that AJ turned on Cena because she had found a guy who actually understood and loved her in Dolph Ziggler...somehow made her a slut?!

The exact same thing is happening right now with Ryback. His explanation for his actions on the post-Raw Mania were clear and logical. Cena never helped him when The Shield attacked him, so he's not going to help him. Cena was too wrapped up in his own interests like making money and becoming champion again to back up the guys who had helped him out in the past.

Yet again, this was distorted into some bizarro situation where Ryback was a coward for making excuses - and that he's apparently some really awful person all of a sudden because he won't continue to help Cena, when John never had any intentions of returning the favour.

tl:dr - WWE booking is so ridiculous, and John Cena is a douchebag.

Default Re: Why is everyone who turns heel on Cena...actually in the right?

I don't fully agree on the AJ thing, but I already discussed that in the other thread so I won't repeat it here.

Ryback is pretty clearly in the right, though. It's really dumb babyface booking for Cena to never save any of his friends, I don't get what they've been thinking in letting that become a theme.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I remember when alot of Hulk Hogans friends would turn on him, they would often have legit reasons to be pissed. Hogan had the spotlight while Savage was champion and was indeed pretty touchy with Liz, Hogan cutting off Sid during interviews etc... it kind of reminds me of that
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5440/smurfj.png

Quote Originally Posted by HORRORHOLIC View Post
    I remember when alot of Hulk Hogans friends would turn on him, they would often have legit reasons to be pissed. Hogan had the spotlight while Savage was champion and was indeed pretty touchy with Liz, Hogan cutting off Sid during interviews etc... it kind of reminds me of that
    You're right, but the commentary was split though with either Heenan or Ventura taking the heel's side. It came off less forced for fans of Hogan to back him plus Hogan was just more universally liked.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    You're right, but the commentary was split though with either Heenan or Ventura taking the heel's side. It came off less forced for fans of Hogan to back him plus Hogan was just more universally liked.
    Just because Cena gets booed doesn't mean the story itself is any different.

And we have JBL taking the heel's side now.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

John Cena, just like Hogan in the 80's, is a heel pretending to be a babyface. He is at fault all the time, but they pretend he is a saint. It's no wonder he is the most hated wrestler of the past ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Greene View Post
    John Cena, just like Hogan in the 80's, is a heel pretending to be a babyface. He is at fault all the time, but they pretend he is a saint. It's no wonder he is the most hated wrestler of the past ten years.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I've never seen that before

Just because Cena gets booed doesn't mean the story itself is any different.

And we have JBL taking the heel's side now.
    It makes a difference because the boos are being no sold by the company. The only time it happened with Hogan was at Royal Rumble 92. Even then Hogan did do a heel move by being a spoiled loser.

JBL's commentary isn't like Ventura and Heenan who were consistently calling out Hogan's flaws in other situations though which would be brought into multiple angles. It's apart of the reason it worked in not looking forced for any one particular angle.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

It makes a difference because the boos are being no sold by the company.
    Huh? No they aren't. The commentators mention Cena being booed all the time now.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Greene View Post
    I think it was more about being realistic that a situation depending on perception. The fans just chose to side with Hogan. The Rock is kind of the same way too actually lol. What Cena and Punk have said in some promos about him is actually true lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? No they aren't. The commentators mention Cena being booed all the time now.
    They allude to Cena being controversial more than saying the boos are hate though in angles. Were boos acknowledged at end of Mania?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I think it was more about being realistic that a situation depending on perception. The fans just chose to side with Hogan. The Rock is kind of the same way too actually lol. What Cena and Punk have said in some promos about him is actually true lol.

- - - Updated - - -

They allude to Cena being controversial more than saying the boos are hate though in angles. Were boos acknowledged at end of Mania?
    Referencing the boos at the end of WrestleMania wouldn't have been the best time for it. They have acknowledged how "controversial" he is and that he polarizes the WWE universe. Whether that counts as acknowledging the actual 'boos' from the crowd is a little bit subjective I guess.

I think saying that he's polarizing is definitely acknowledging the boos, though I agree that it would have been really stupid for them to make a point of it at the end of Mania.

Bender

I know.. why can't ryback just still be a face who hates cena for leaving him out to dry?? why does turning against cena just automatically make you a heel... I really hope ryback doesn't forgive or forget the shield any time in the near future...

from a realistic standpoint hating and going after them both would make more sense..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeki View Post
    Referencing the boos at the end of WrestleMania wouldn't have been the best time for it. They have acknowledged how "controversial" he is and that he polarizes the WWE universe. Whether that counts as acknowledging the actual 'boos' from the crowd is a little bit subjective I guess.
    I know it ISN'T good business to do that, but that is the point I'm making. It is NOT consistent with the commentary, so when angles are done it sometimes comes off forced or disjointed to some viewers like what the OP is saying. The fans can see that.

I will admit though Cena did a great job last week with the audience who disagrees with the way he is portrayed.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by TheKliq View Post
    I know.. why can't ryback just still be a face who hates cena for leaving him out to dry?? why does turning against cena just automatically make you a heel... I really hope ryback doesn't forgive or forget the shield any time in the near future...

from a realistic standpoint hating and going after them both would make more sense..
    It's just so pathetic they way they've restyled his character within the last couple of weeks to make him seem like a coward. Saying things like how he attacked Cena from behind...when he actually ran right at him and clotheslined him. They way they bury everyone at the expense of keeping Cena as the top face is just so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    It's just so pathetic they way they've restyled his character within the last couple of weeks to make him seem like a coward. Saying things like how he attacked Cena from behind...when he actually ran right at him and clotheslined him. They way they bury everyone at the expense of keeping Cena as the top face is just so ridiculous.
    If there is one thing that Cena was right on though, it was that.

Cena made the declaration at the start of the show that if anybody wanted him or his title that they could "Come get some". Ryback didn't. He waited till Cena had been taken out by Mark Henry, looked at him straight in the eye, and then waited for him to turn around for the setup.

Banned

Isnt it about time Cena starts putting over some younger talent already? I mean its been 10 years now, When does it stop being about Cena? They make an ass out of The Rock so Golden Boy can have his day in the sun...im starting to think Cena is the new HBK, Maybe hes giving Vince head on the side or something

Quote Originally Posted by oWn View Post
    Isnt it about time Cena starts putting over some younger talent already? I mean its been 10 years now, When does it stop being about Cena?
    When he stops making money.

Bender

Banned

When he stops making money.
    I hope its soon. RAW is the shits right now, Like we're back in 2009 again

The worst thing about it is the length. It's so hard for the show to not drag now.

Bender

We just came off an excellent Raw last week. Clearly, when the writers decide that they don't want Raw to suck, it won't suck.

Banned

The worst thing about it is the length. It's so hard for the show to not drag now.
    Agreed. I cant stand it anymore, Its too long.

and this week is one of those taped London shows!? You couldnt pay me enough to watch that...no thankyou. The rating should be "GREAT" this week....

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    We just came off an excellent Raw last week. Clearly, when the writers decide that they don't want Raw to suck, it won't suck.
    If your talking about the post Mania RAW, That had NOTHING to do with the writers. That show was AWFUL, The fans made it good because they were bored.

I cant shake the feeling that WWE missed an opportunitty at Wrestlemania. They chose to play it safe and now this is what we're left with. Same old shit. Balless Vince would have been out of business a long time ago, Its too bad he showed up after everyone else got bought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    The crowd arguably played a bigger role in making RAW good than the writers last week.

Quote Originally Posted by oWn View Post
    Balless Vince would have been out of business a long time ago, Its too bad he showed up after everyone else got bought out.
    Well he wouldn't be "balless" if there was competition.

He can afford to do whatever he wants because there isn't anyone up his ass anymore. If TNA had ever successfully made themselves a threat, we might have seen a Cena turn by now.

Bender

Thread Information