Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hulk Hogan speaks on what he feels should be Mt Rushmore of Wrestling

Default Hulk Hogan speaks on what he feels should be Mt Rushmore of Wrestling

What three other wrestlers besides himself Hulk would put on a wrestling version of Mt. Rushmore: "Well brother, if we're going to go that over all the decades, you got to go with Bruno. He laid out the ground rules for what wrestling fans love as a hero. You got to go with Bruno, and then, I mean there's a lot of new guys right now that need to put on another 10 or 15 years and they can get there. You have to put Andre there. You definitely have to put Andre there. And then if I had to throw one more there, because he had such an influence and such a different view on this business, I'd out Stone Cold Steve Austin there.

"But then right after that, without a doubt you've got the Rock, whose just totally changing the dynamics of this business. I did 15 or 16 low budget movies. I cracked the door open for Hollywood. This guy just knocked the door wide open. I mean, he's taken the whole world by storm. You could put the Rock up there right now, but then there's also another guy, if we're going to go with the real legends, a guy that's still in the ring that has been around the sport for 25 years, a guy named Sting. So, you got Stone Cold Steve Austin, you got Sting, there's so many. It'd be hard to do a Mt. Rushmore for wrestling."

Read more: http://www.WrestlingInc.com/wi/news/...#ixzz2Q8SFD5T4
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Default Re: Hulk Hogan speaks on what he feels should be Mt Rushmore of Wrestling

Bruno, Andre, Hogan, Austin is what the wrestling Mount Rushmore would have to be. In my mind, there's little debate here. If one other person belongs up there it's without question The Rock.

Nice to see the Hulkster give props to Austin.

Default Re: Hulk Hogan speaks on what he feels should be Mt Rushmore of Wrestling

That's why I put in the WWE forum. The MT. Rushmore is basically WWE legends and rightfully so. Sting being mentioned is him just being a TNA employee imo though.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Absolutely no mention of Ric Flair.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Yes it is great to see Hogan give pops to Rock and Austin

I also agreed with Bruno, Andre

Other I would pick would be
    Vince Sr- If it wasn't for him there would be no WWWF/WWF/WWE
    I may get neg remark about this one
    Owen Hart- The men is the only one of the Family that stay when Bret left even after the screw job Plus lost his life working there
    Women Wise
    Moola and maybe Young
    Moola- Women Camp 28 years and set the way
    Young- For just being that dame old and still doing some of the Shit she does

Hogan, Flair, Undertaker, Austin

Hogan is pretty much spot on. The Rock would be a real close 4th.

My knowledge of wrestling back in the Bruno days and stuff is quite limited. I'd really like to say who I'd have but it wouldn't be well informed - I'd have to study the impact they all had on the business back then. If i get the time I'll give it a go though. Would probably be quite similar to Hogan's anyway.

IMO - It would be absolutely impossible to pick just four names to be put on a wrestling themed Mount Rushmore. There are far too many performers who have contributed a massive amount to the history of the profession. As much as I dislike the self-serving windbag, Hulk Hogan would almost certainly HAVE to be on there. Austin too I'd imagine. Ditto for Bruno. And Andre was so universally loved by everyone he worked with, it would be tragic to leave him off. But then you have folks like...

Vince McMahon Sr., Vincent K. McMahon, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Stu Hart, Jim Crocket, Ric Flair, Lou Thez, Frank Gotch, Sting, Ricky Steamboat, John Cena, Pat Patterson, Gorilla Monsoon, The Fabulous Moolah, Bobby Heenan, Jim Ross, Verne Gagne, and probably another handful or so names I could rattle off.

One could make a very legitimate argument for each and every one of the people listed there. Take any one of them away and erase them and their contributions to the profession rom history and you would have a vastly different wrestling world today. You simply couldn't honor only four folks on a wrestling version of Mount Rushmore. You'd need about a dozen spots and even then you'd more than likely be leaving off a couple someones who certainly deserve to be up there.
    Last edited by Quazimoto; 04-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

I wouldn't put Bruno on there. I know I know, blasphemy, but he, IMO, wasn't big enough GLOBALLY to warrant it.

Now, Hogan, Andre, Austin, and either Flair or Savage, makes more sense IMO.
    baboosh

In terms of WWE, Hogan, Austin and Bruno are certainties. The fourth spot is debatable - the best qualified is probably the Rock, but the Sting shout isn't ridiculous or anything, it has some merit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I wouldn't put Bruno on there. I know I know, blasphemy, but he, IMO, wasn't big enough GLOBALLY to warrant it.
    No, not blasphemy, you raise a fair point. However, Bruno is more integral to WWE being alive today than even someone like Hogan, although you rightly point he was less successful comparatively. Bruno was a BIG factor in WWE surviving in the early days.

Savage makes no sense on any level.

Ey Paisan how ya doooon? [Italiano]'s Avatar

Wtf? Bruno wrestled around the world He was the first wrestling superhero and he sold out MSG more than anybody else in history. Seriously you can't let "the living Legend" out! Savage out, Bruno in and then I'm fine with your's..
    #1 WWE Champion Bruno Sammartino

Big Guido - Chuck Palombo - Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli - "Main Man" Tracy Smothers - Nunzio - Sal E. Graziano -
    Salvatore Bellomo - "The Big Don" Tommy Rich - Tony Mamaluke - Trinity - Val Puccio - Vito

FULL BLOODED ITALIANS

Vince K. McMahon and his father are both worthy nominations too IMO.

Yeah, Bruno has to be on the list, IMO. He is one of the reasons why the WWE is around and so successful today. Hogan and Austin and also certainties. The fourth spot is a bit up for grabs. Andre, Rock, Flair are the main one's. I'd probably go for Andre because of his global appeal. No argument from me if people see Rock or Flair as number four though. I think Undertaker deserves a mention too.

Also, good to see Hogan say something positive about Austin for once.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Savage makes no sense on any level.
    He was one of the first 'little guys' in Wrestling. Sure, he wasn't 'Vanilla Midget' status, he was built, but the guy was one of the first men to bring the high risk style to the mainstream.
    baboosh

If we are talking the Mount Rushmore of the WWE, it should be Hogan, Bruno, Austin and Cena IMO.

A Mount Rushmore for wrestling is way too difficult. You have Hogan, Inoki, Rikidozan, El Santo, Thesz, Andre, Austin, Londos, Gotch just off the top of my head.

There are way too many names to do one for wrestling.
    Last edited by Heartbreak Kid; 04-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    DVD Clearout: Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Thunder, ECW TV, TNA Impact. MUST GO. PM me for details

He was one of the first 'little guys' in Wrestling. Sure, he wasn't 'Vanilla Midget' status, he was built, but the guy was one of the first men to bring the high risk style to the mainstream.
    Interesting point. I think though if you're going to give a spot to someone based on their impact being felt today, it would be Rocca, since he did it much earlier and was a bigger individual draw.

I think Flair HAS to be on there. I mean, my grandad never watched american wrestling, he saw me watching WWE, Ric Flair had a match, and he said "He's STILL going? He's older than me!" The guy is that well known.

Thinking about it, I've never really heard much About how big of a draw Flair was. Was he?
    baboosh

Ey Paisan how ya doooon? [Italiano]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Interesting point. I think though if you're going to give a spot to someone based on their impact being felt today, it would be Rocca, since he did it much earlier and was a bigger individual draw.
    100% agree with you. Antonino Rocca was already a star before Bruno started wrestling. Never hold a big belt but he didn't need to.

@ Heartbreak Kid: John Cena? Interesting. Why would you include him?
    #1 WWE Champion Bruno Sammartino

Big Guido - Chuck Palombo - Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli - "Main Man" Tracy Smothers - Nunzio - Sal E. Graziano -
    Salvatore Bellomo - "The Big Don" Tommy Rich - Tony Mamaluke - Trinity - Val Puccio - Vito

FULL BLOODED ITALIANS

Quote Originally Posted by [Italiano] View Post
    100% agree with you. Antonino Rocca was already a star before Bruno started wrestling. Never hold a big belt but he didn't need to.

@ Heartbreak Kid: John Cena? Interesting. Why would you include him?

Cena has been the face of the WWE for 10 whole years. A whole generation of wrestling fans would have grown up watching Cena as the biggest star in the business in an era where the WWE is the only show in town and has been doing solid business. He has been the face during an era where wrestling is synonymous with the WWE.

It may not be clear now, but in a decade from now, this whole era will be looked back on as the Cena era in the same way that the 80s was the Hogan era and the 60s and a lot of the 70s was the Bruno era and the Attitude Era was seen as the Austin era.
    DVD Clearout: Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Thunder, ECW TV, TNA Impact. MUST GO. PM me for details

Thinking about it, I've never really heard much About how big of a draw Flair was. Was he?
    Territorially he was a fucking massive draw. He wasn't a household name anywhere else though (although some people would have you believe he was, he really wasn't). But the argument for Flair is that he didn't have the opportunity to work nationally like so many others we've mentioned in this thread. In the south-east he was like Bruno in NY.

When you also factor in his longevity and his eventual household name status, he is not a bad shout at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak Kid View Post
    A Mount Rushmore for wrestling is way too difficult. You have Hogan, Inoki, Rikidozan, El Santo, Thesz, Andre, Austin, Londos, Gotch just off the top of my head.

There are way too many names to do one for wrestling.
    That Londos mention is great. Such an important wrestler in terms of broadening the audience range.

I feel like Georgeous George should get a mention in this thread as well. I don't think anyone was more instrumental in the early success of televisied wrestling than he. And he really did pave the way for the modern flamboyance of entrances and such.

You know what. Fuck it.

Wrestling Mount Rushmore

Andre, Larry Sweeney, Volk Han and Eddie Guerrero.

I'd be satisfied.
    baboosh

As much as I hate Hogan, I'd have to agree with the list of Bruno, Andre, Hogan and Austin. But I'd insist on having Randy Savage being the Lincoln Memorial of wrestling. Screw four faces on a mountain. Randy Savage. He gets his own monument!

Quote Originally Posted by merle View Post
    As much as I hate Hogan, I'd have to agree with the list of Bruno, Andre, Hogan and Austin. But I'd insist on having Randy Savage being the Lincoln Memorial of wrestling. Screw four faces on a mountain. Randy Savage. He gets his own monument!
    Actually, that's a good idea.

Rushmore - Hogan, Bruno, Flair, Austin

Lincoln Memorial - Andre

Jefferson Memorial - Savage

Fremont Troll - Daniel Bryan
    baboosh

Thread Information