Thread: WM 26 - HBK vs Taker

Default WM 26 - HBK vs Taker

Since Wrestlemania is on today and I'm stuck at the house because I'm on call at work, I went back an re-watched the taker vs hbk match from WM 26. Damn that was a good match. For some reason, I remember not thinking much about the match at the time, but upon a rewatch I really enjoyed it. Part of it could be because the last 2 Wrestlemanias have been complete garbage, but I believe this is the last match to happen at WM that actually had a big time feel to it. It had brawling, some submissions, Shawn did some high flying stuff, had a great story, just everything you could want out of a match in my opinion. One funny note I noticed is some asshole had a sign that read " This match sponsored by AARP" that was visible as shawn was making his farewell walk up the ramp. Anyone have any thoughts on this match? Anyone else rewatching previous matches in anticipation for tonight's event?

Default Re: WM 26 - HBK vs Taker

I thought it was good but not as good as their match at 25. I re-watched the summerslam match between triple h and lesnar, the matches between punk and taker, and last years mania between cena and rock.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Banned

Paled in comparison to the WM25 match.

I'll probably watch Cena vs Michaels from WM23 this afternoon. Because that's what I'm in the mood for.

I didn't like Cena vs Rock at all and haven't re watched it since. Is it better on a rewatch in your opinion?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vinwwe View Post
    I didn't like Cena vs Rock at all and haven't re watched it since. Is it better on a rewatch in your opinion?
    It is. But Triple H vs Lesnar is even better upon repeat viewing.

It was a very good match. I think last year's Rock/Cena did feel big also, didn't deliver particularly but still had the big fight feel. The first Undertaker/Michaels match at the 'Mania previous was better, IMO. The match from WM 25 was a an all time classic that won't be forgotten. I'm currently watching a few old matches to get me even more hyped for the event. Can't wait.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Coco View Post
    It is. But Triple H vs Lesnar is even better upon repeat viewing.
    I just stuck on Rock vs Cena. Don't think I have a copy of HHH vs Lesnar. Anyway one thing I am kind of looking forward tonight is the special entrances. I like when a live band plays a guy out the the ring like Motorhead for HHH. At the press conference they said Living Colour was going to be there so that should be pretty neat.

I wasn't big on hhh vs lesnar at summerslam or rock vs cena at mania 28 when i first saw it. I re-watched it and felt it was better than i thought.

Bender

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Yeah I agree Rock vs Cena was better on the re-watch. Its like a Rock vs Hogan situation where it was more about atmosphere than the in ring stuff because they are not really a good match up. Rock has always seemed kind of sloppy to me the way he kind of "flails" around the ring and Cena might as well have 2 left feet. Both guys have a connection with the audience but need someone else whos crisper in the ring to kind of lead things. Thats my take on it, obviously never worked a match with any of them.hahaha

There were a couple neat sequences in the match though. Rock flipping out of the armbar, nipping up, & doing the roll up was kind of cool. I always like when cena busts out the top rope leg drop deal. And I almost forget Rock hitting cena with the crossbody and Cena rolling through and lifting him up to the FU was pretty impressive. Rock aint a small guy. I admit I am now a little more excited for rematch tonight having rewatched the original match.

Banned

Watched HHH/Punk at NOC. Trying to get punmped for HHH/Lesnar.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelticsboy View Post
    Watched HHH/Punk at NOC. Trying to get punmped for HHH/Lesnar.
    I should probably watch a similar clusterfuck. Mania will automatically seem better by virtue of comparison.

Another one on the list I just re-watched: Rock vs Punk from RR. This was a pretty good match all though I could have done without the ending crap. The crowd was kind of lame too but that was probably because the RR match had just happened pretty much before this match.

The WM 26 match was great but I thought the WM 25 match was better.

However both matches aren't as good as the HBK/Taker HIAC which is easily the best match that both man had together.
    DVD Clearout: Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Thunder, ECW TV, TNA Impact. MUST GO. PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak Kid View Post
    The WM 26 match was great but I thought the WM 25 match was better.

However both matches aren't as good as the HBK/Taker HIAC which is easily the best match that both man had together.

Yeah the HIAC was good. The thing about the WM matches is the fact that they were significantly older and there was a huge expectation placed on the matches because they were at Wrestlemania.

Yeah the HIAC was good. The thing about the WM matches is the fact that they were significantly older and there was a huge expectation placed on the matches because they were at Wrestlemania.
    That is a very good point. But at the same time, they also got to benefit from the fact that those matches happened at WrestleMania which means they will forever be hyped more than a match from another PPV. For example, The Razor/HBK ladder match from Summerslam 95 was better IMO than the WM X match, and Austin/Hart from Survivor Series 96 was as good as the WM 13 match.

The Taker/HBK WM matches were still awesome. Though I personally enjoyed the HBK/Flair match just as much.
    DVD Clearout: Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, Thunder, ECW TV, TNA Impact. MUST GO. PM me for details

The WM 26 match is top 15 WWF/E for me. Loved it. HIAC is in that top tier of NA matches, probably my #2.

For me, the WM 25 match is arguably the most overrated match of all time. It is very good but one section kills it for me. I've posted this a couple of times before.

"The middle section is the serious weak point of the match. Taker is in command and misses a leg drop on the apron. Michaels then hits a baseball slide but when Taker gets up he misses his moonsault, crashing to the floor. Taker should now take advantage again, as he should be fine. He had stood up before the moonsault miss after all. But instead he still seems hurt from either the missed leg drop or the baseball slide, as he needs to take a seat. Then he gets up, but only to roll back into the ring and lie there for a bit before doing his sit-up pose (he had just done the sit up a few minutes before so it is not like he was just trying to get it in). Clearly, it must have just been the most devastating missed leg drop or baseball slide ever. Or did the gust of air from Michaelsí missed move somehow injure him? Seriously, watch that bit again. It makes no sense. If he was just doing it to give Michaels time to recover from the moonsault, he couldíve come up with something better. We then get Takerís botched dive to the outside, which was brutal. This may have gotten some people to believe it might end in a countout, but that was a really silly spot to put into this match. No way was it going to end in a countout. In fact, Takerís whole leg drop/baseball slide/gust of air devastation that made no sense was clearly some fucked up way of getting to this countout spot, which makes it even worse. This segment alone stops this match from being close to one of the all-time greats."

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe Lights View Post
    The WM 26 match is top 15 WWF/E for me. Loved it. HIAC is in that top tier of NA matches, probably my #2.

For me, the WM 25 match is arguably the most overrated match of all time. It is very good but one section kills it for me. I've posted this a couple of times before.

"The middle section is the serious weak point of the match. Taker is in command and misses a leg drop on the apron. Michaels then hits a baseball slide but when Taker gets up he misses his moonsault, crashing to the floor. Taker should now take advantage again, as he should be fine. He had stood up before the moonsault miss after all. But instead he still seems hurt from either the missed leg drop or the baseball slide, as he needs to take a seat. Then he gets up, but only to roll back into the ring and lie there for a bit before doing his sit-up pose (he had just done the sit up a few minutes before so it is not like he was just trying to get it in). Clearly, it must have just been the most devastating missed leg drop or baseball slide ever. Or did the gust of air from Michaels’ missed move somehow injure him? Seriously, watch that bit again. It makes no sense. If he was just doing it to give Michaels time to recover from the moonsault, he could’ve come up with something better. We then get Taker’s botched dive to the outside, which was brutal. This may have gotten some people to believe it might end in a countout, but that was a really silly spot to put into this match. No way was it going to end in a countout. In fact, Taker’s whole leg drop/baseball slide/gust of air devastation that made no sense was clearly some fucked up way of getting to this countout spot, which makes it even worse. This segment alone stops this match from being close to one of the all-time greats."
    Haven't seen the match in a while. I'll have to re-watch to see this sequence.

Back in the saddle. Heartburn Kid's Avatar

Watching mania finally. Who is this bald headed fellow fighting Lesnar?

The match is overrated. If it hadn't been Michaels' last match, "nobody" would've cared as much.

The Crimson Nutcase Tarzan Taborda's Avatar

25 is a better match, the only advantage 26 has over 25 is that with Michaels career on the line it added some weight to the possibility he could break the streak, so the ending was more in question.

They were in an impossible situation, they have an absolute bonefied 5 star match the year before, an instant classic, MOTY and a hot contender for Match of the Decade, so going into 26 they had little choice but to turn it into a finisher fest with spots which is not what the magic of the year before was about. 25 had a flow to it, a beautiful story and excellent wrestling inbetween of Shawn willing to take a count out for victory ect and the match did have spots but there was a flow, it felt like it flowed into the tombstone that he kicked out of which till this day still gets a mini reaction out of me because the match just builds perfectly.

26 was a case of, ok well do some wrestling, hit a tombstone on the outside of the ring, then the SCM's, chokeslams/last rides/moonsaults start trying to recreate that drama but its an impossible thing to force, it needs to just happen.

Still a great match to watch though and I am very happy Shawn went out with that match as who could write a better ending for a career that main eventing Mania with Taker on one of the best WrestleMania PPV's I have ever seen.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

I watched this match a week or two ago, and it's much better than I remember. Told a great story.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Thread Information