Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, more

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, more

    Busted Open satellite radio show with Michael Cole
    Host: Dave Lagreca, Doug Mortman, and Mike Riker
    Airs Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays on Sirius 92 and XM 208 from 2-4 ET
    Visit Facebook.com/bustedopen for more information

    On his start and his rise in WWE: "I got off on the wrong foot here in WWE for a bunch of different circumstances. Number one, I came from CBS News, so I came from outside the business. And this is back in 1997 where itís still the 'good ol boy' network, where if you werenít brought up and didnít pay your dues in the wrestling industry you had no business being here. Jim Ross is a guy who dedicated 30 years of his life to this business. He started as a referee, building rings and morphed his way into becoming an announcer and he had paid his dues, as most of the guys had. So I came in in 1997 and I was first employee that was ever hired by the company that was an announcer. I came from CBS Radio. I had been a wrestling fan but I had never been involved in it in any aspect. So I come right out of the blue and start doing shows on WWE. So there was immediately a backlash from the true hardcore fan. 'Who is this guy? How can he be talking about a product that I've watched for 25 years; I've never heard of him. Heís not from the business. Heís not from the industry.'

    "Then I wasnít even able to get my feet wet and pay my dues here before Jim got sick with his bout of Bells Palsy. So when Jim got sick, all of a sudden, now I had been in the company for a year and they throw me now onto Monday Night Raw and PPVs and I was clueless. I had done sports before, so I knew how to go out and call action, but this business isnít just about calling action. Itís about telling stories. Itís about understanding the psychology and that was all foreign to me. So for four or five months Iím trying to fill the shoes of this legend who had been sick and I was thrown into that spot so there was a horrible backlash at that point. Rightfully so because I wasnít ready for that spot. I shouldnít have been in it. And then third, Vince Russo at the time who was our writer decides that this is great, letís make JR the bad guy; letís make him the heel and have him attack Michael Cole's character.

    "It obviously turned out bad because I ended up being the bad guy because the perception was both within the storyline and in real life is that 'here's this young, punk kid coming out of the news world to replace the guy that I grew up with.' It would be like some guy from a local news station stepping in to replace Walter Cronkite on the news. I had all these things against me and when JR came back fans were like, 'thank god, this Cole guy sucks, he shouldnít be here,' and I stuck it out. I had seen so many things in my life covering news from wars and so many horrible things that I couldnít let this stuff affect me. I had a wife and family and thatís who I loved and who I cared about and this other stuff was like, 'whatever, Iím not going to let these people affect me,' and I continued to move on and I went to do Smackdown and I did that show for 10 years, which was, to me, an incredible run, and finally in 2008 got drafted to Raw and the rest is history. I donít have any regrets at all. I thought and I still think that I earned that role. People still to this day canít stand me for replacing Jim Ross, and they think that JR and I have a terrible relationship because of the storylines that we've done, but we donít. Jim and I are actually real close and we do have a great relationship and Jim's been a great mentor to me and here we are today."

    On the pressure during the Monday night wars: "There was a ton of pressure. I was in over my head, and I'll be the first to admit that. I had been in warzones around the world and never felt the type of pressure that I felt in those few months leading up. Then I had to call Wrestlemania on top of it all, except for the main event, which we brought Jim back for, but it was an extraordinary amount of pressure which I wasnít ready for. But I always try to look at things from a positive standpoint; that really prepared me for what was coming over the next few years here in WWE and really becoming the voice of Smackdown and becoming the solid guy on that show and moving on to Raw and where I am today."

    On dealing with the multitudes of different fans: "This day and age people donít understand the amount of pressure thatís on us as commentators to serve so many masters. First off thereís the hardcore fans, like you guys are, who have been watching for 20 or 30 years who want their old school wrestling. They want you to call a wrestling match; they want you to call every single hold, so you've got to please that. You've got to try to do your best. You also have to please your kids who are 50% of your audience and your women who are a large part of our audience too, so you're talking about different stories when it comes to those demographics. We're obviously in a PG era now, so you canít get away with a lot of things you could get away with 15 years ago. The other thing is we're inundated with social media and I get tweet constantly during the show; 'hey Cole, shut the heck up,' 'stop with the twitter, stop with this and that.' Our company wants to be in the fore front of social media. Thatís our companyís goal and our objective. I have to do that, I work for WWE; I need to do what they want me to do. Does it get to be too much sometimes? Yeah, of course it does. I think we do a lot of things in excess, but thatís what we want.

    "So when Iím talking about whatís trending worldwide or when Iím talking about what somebody said on their Twitter feed earlier today, I know guys like you who want your wrestling are probably saying, 'geez Cole, shut the hell up, enough already.' But then there's kids at home going, 'oh my god, Iím going to follow Vince McMahon on Twitter, this is an exciting day.' So youíre trying to please so many masters and youíre never going to please everybody. So all you can do is try to do the best you can, try to be entertaining, try to tell a good story, try to explain to your audience what's going on and on top of all this, especially this time of year, we have such a new audience especially when youíve got a guy like Rock, whoís the biggest movie star in the world right now and heís got the number one movie in GI Joe, you have a lot of new audience members watching this show every week now because of guys like The Rock or because of Undertaker's back or because Brock Lesnar the MMA crowd may come in, so now youíve got to try to explain whatís going on in our soap opera every week to fans who arenít watching on a weekly basis. We have to do it in ways that donít insult guys like you who watch every week and know the stories and background of these guys. Itís a terribly difficult job, but I love it. The challenge is amazing and the criticism is great because I learn a lot of times from the criticism. Iíll read my Twitter feed and a lot of the fans out there have great suggestions and great ideas that Iíll try to bring into the show the following week."

    On calling the Raw of Jerry Lawlerís heart attack and turning face: "First and foremost, Jerry and I are great friends. We're real close. Jerry and I have known each other for 16 years now and people may not remember but when Smackdown went on the air Jerry and I were its first team for a couple of years. We worked together every week, plus I worked with Jerry when JR was sick. So I worked with Jerry for years and years, I had his first WrestleMania match, but what people remember about our relationship up to the point of the heart attack was the fact that I was a bad guy and he was a good guy and I disrespected his dead mother in the ring and I dragged up stuff about his family's past and all part of the angle, which by the way was all Jerry's idea, he signed off on it, but that's what they remember. So 90% of our audience thought we hated each other. Which I guess means we're doing a great job. But Jerry and I were real real close. The night that it happened in Montreal, I'll take you through the story, Jerry had a match, which is neither here nor there, and he came back to commentary and we were calling, I canít even remember what the match was at this point because everything is a blur, but I do remember, Jerry and I donít look at each other when we do the show, I have a monitor to my right which I watch and Jerry has a monitor to the left which he watches, the only time we ever really look at each other is when we have an on-camera or something like that, so in the middle of this match I heard Jerry snoring and I thought he was doing like I used to do when I was a heel, especially back in the NXT days, I thought he was making fun of the match in the ring and I thought he was snoring because the match was boring.

    "So I chuckled because I thought thatís what he was doing and then I looked over to Jerry to my left and Jerry was laying down on the table, his head was down, and he was literally snoring. At that point I thought this obviously isnít good, he looked blue. So I jumped up, first thing I did and Iíll never forget this is I hit my mute switch on my box because I was screaming for the doctor. Luckily we had Doc Sampson at ringside. So Iím screaming for the doctor, 'Doc, doc, Jerry needs you,' and I hit the mute switch I think out of instinct but Iíll never forget, I remember doing it because I knew something serious was happening and I knew that his family watches the product and I didnít want them to know at that point what was going on because I thought that if it was me I wouldnít want my wife or anybody in my family to learn about what was happening from live television. So I hit the mute switch and Jerry at that point I grabbed him to try to hold him up and then he fell out of his chair and then the doctor luckily was there. At that point I just went into instinct mode and I just started calling the match that was going on in the ring and didnít reference anything that was going on. Then obviously we went to commercial break and during the break they hauled Jerry off in a stretcher and all that. So Iím down at ringside and Iíve got to do the rest of the show for an hour, I had no idea whatís going on. I've got my producers and Triple H and others telling me and giving me updates in my headset which I would come back on the air and say, 'hey, this is the latest we heard,' and so on and so forth and then at about 10:30 eastern, about a half hour before we went off the air, I remember somebody came in my headset, I canít remember who it was, and they said, 'Michael, you need to prepare for the worst.' Iím like, 'ok,' and they said, 'you need to be prepared to deliver the news.' So at that point I knew what they were talking about obviously.

    "So now we had stopped doing commentary out of respect to Jerry, so now Iím sitting out there with 18,000 people surrounding us and millions at home, no one knowing whatís going on, and I didnít either, and now Iím sitting there going, 'ok, now how am I going to deliver this news to millions of people around the world' and 'what am I going to say' and how am I going to say it and how am I going to keep myself composed, and all that is running through my head and then almost like it was scripted, and I hate saying that because of the business we're in because it wasnít obviously, but when we went off the air on Raw we had got an update that Jerry's heart started beating on its own and I was able to deliver that news going off the air and that was such an emotion moment.

    "I remember after we went off the air, I went to the back, Jerry had already gone to the hospital, I went back to the locker room and called my wife and I said, 'did you whatís going on?' And she's like, 'oh my god, I did,' and at that point I broke down because I think it all just hit me there. I think itís the news background. I think its ones of those things, you're trained. I have seen a lot of atrocities in my life over the years in Africa and Bosnia and places like that and I think youíre just trained, but this obviously different because itís a real good friend of yours that it happened to on live television and I realized that I had a service and that was to update the fans what was going on with Jerry. Then at that point, we thought he was going to pull through and obviously he did, thank god, and now he's still a pain my ass like he is every other week, but it was just an awful time.

    "I remember on Wednesday, two days after it happened, I was actually in the gym at my home in Texas and I got a phone call from Jerry's girlfriend, Lauren, and she said, 'Michael, Iíve got somebody who wants to talk to you,' and it was King. I was like, 'Holy cow, King, how the hell are you calling me two days after you basically died on national television?' I guess he had been reading some of the press and stuff and he said, 'Michael, Iím so sorry.' I asked why? He goes, 'well, I killed your heel heat.' So I guess he had watched stuff that was said and everything else. So after that I became baby face. I think it was the right time, the heel run had run its course, I think it went on much longer than it should have. So what had happened was the company collectively said, 'if we're going to turn you this is the time to do it.' Since JR had been taken off Raw and I became a heel, the one thing I thought the company was missing was that straight guy who was able to deliver the show the way that it needed to be delivered, like the Jim Ross and the Gordon Solie's, Gorilla's, they didnít have that voice of reason in the booth. This was the perfect opportunity to allow them to do that and as a company we collectively said, letís run with it, and we did. Itís been fairly successful. I still have a lot of detractors out there, a lot, but itís getting a little bit better.

    "It was weird too because, I hate that it happened under these circumstances, because I really would have liked to have that face turn and done something like save somebody in a match or one of those cool things you always dream of. This is quite the way I wanted the face turn to happen, but Iím also glad it happened this way because I think it added some legitimacy to what I do. But it was cool to actually get tweets and messages of support from fans when for 15 years 90% of what you receive is 'you suck', 'I hate you', 'youíre the worst ever', and you just donít respond to that stuff, you just become callous to it, itís just like, 'ok, they donít like me'. But Iím still here and Iím still on the air."

    On his favorite announcing combination/preferences: "From an ego standpoint, I take pride in the fact that Iím able to do all of it. We donít get a chance to toot our own horns a lot but from an ego standpoint, and you have to have an ego to be in this business or any business. You have to have confidence. I take pride that I can do it all. One of the things that Iíve said about my career is that, love me or hate me, the one thing that Iíve been able to do that I donít think anybody would take umbrage with is the fact that I have been able to work with anybody theyíve given me. When I was on Smackdown, I worked with Jerry Lawler, I worked with Tazz, I worked with Mick Foley, I worked with Jonathan Coachman, I worked with JBL, I worked with Paul Heyman, I've worked with JR, Iíve worked with Josh Matthews, Iíve worked with Todd Grisham, Matt Striker, Iíve worked with everybody and Iíve been able to pull it off. So I take pride in that.

    "Three man booth over 2 man booth? It depends who Iím working with. I love the three man booth with Jerry and John. JBL and The King. Love it. Then Iím really able to be that straight on host and direct the traffic. John's your heel, King's your baby face and Iím able to be that guy that delivers the information which is the role that I cherish because I think I do that well.

    2 man booth, I love working with King and I love working with John. So any combination of those right now is preferable to me. I think the 3 man booth works a little bit better on Smackdown than it does on Raw because Smackdown is a show where there's not as much social media involvement, the matches are much longer. Raw you get three or four minute matches and social media so itís a little easier to navigate a two man booth on Raw with all the stuff you have to get in as opposed to Smackdown. I think that out of all the partners Iíve worked with I think that Jerry Lawler and JBL, either together or separately, have been my favorites."

    On 3 Hour Raws: "I was actually excited initially and then when I sat through it for about two months I was like, 'oh my god.' The worst thing is, and itís nothing to do with the guys in the ring, because theyíre busting their humps every single time, itís the energy level. Itís really, really difficult. Your mind really starts to wander. You get past 10 oíclock eastern time and your mind really starts to wander. So youíve really go to focus on the task at hand. PPV's are weird; to me a three hour PPV goes by like that because its just concentration, you've got two other guys working with you to help carry the load, I donít know. For some reason the three hour Raw seems real long, but then other days, like last night in Washington DC for the go-home for Wrestlemania, that show flew by. I looked at my watch and it was quarter to eleven. I was like, 'holy cow, where did the show go?' Then there's other days where it's like 10:15 and youíre like, 'oh my god, how do I stay awake? Get me another Red bull.' Again, itís nothing to do with whatís going on in the ring or anything itís just mentally trying to stay focused and alert for that amount of time on live television. Smackdown is different. You can go out there and screw around and you make a mistake you can fix it if you have to. On Raw, youíve got to watch everything you say. Its complete concentration.

    "A lot of times the audience goes through peaks and valleys too throughout the show for three hours. The live crowd is up and down. So you have to try to get them going and get them up there. Thatís your job as a commentator, make every match and every superstar and diva interesting. Itís difficult to do but it can be done. The thing about 3 hours is coming up with creative and different ways to say things, say different stories. How many times can we say The Rock's going to be here tonight? Ten times youíre promoting it a show; youíve got to try to come up with a different way to say it each time. There are a lot of things that go on that just a guy watching at home doesnít realize. Tweaking ways you say things and trying to drive you guys in the right direction on certain characters and giving background on guys and thereís a lot of work that goes into this. Following Twitter, social media, oh my god that stuff is nonstop."

    On Cena's current heat: "I think there's a reason for that. Rock's fresh. He's not here all the time. Even during this run heís missed a few Raw's then comes back then miss a few Raw's, so Rock's fresh. He's different and he's bringing in a ton of new faces to our product because heís a movie star. Arguably the hottest movie star in the world right now. So heís bringing in a ton of new faces. He's fresh, people watch him, people think itís cool that a movie star is our champion. John is there every day. He's been there for a decade. He's in the trenches every single day. He's at every live event. He's on television every single week. He's at every single PPV. I think that thereís a familiarity there. I think that fans of our product who watch it religiously and donít miss a show, follow the inside workings of this, I think that characters like John to guys like yourself can get stale. I think thatís what our fans vocalize. I donít think its dislike for John Cena; I think they appreciate everything John does.

    "John is the most wonderful human being on the planet. He's one of these guys, I'll preface this by saying he's one of my closest friends in the business, but John has not changed in ten years here. John is one of these guys who has never changed who he is when he became famous. He's the same guy that he was when he first walked in that door 10 years ago. He's the same guy that'll sit down in a lounge a chair and have a beer with you and put on some country music and shoot pool. He's that way today just like he was 10 years ago. John does so much and you cannot overstate what John does not only for this company but for the charity organizations out there. When you grant over 300 wishes and being as busy and in demand as John Cena is, that says something about the manís character. Granting 300 wishes, youíre not doing that for publicity. The Susan G Komen for the Cure, we did the breast cancer awareness for the first time last year, that was all John's idea. John came to the company and said, 'hey, listen, letís do this.' Next thing you know, we've got pink ropes and the pink ribbon all over the place and it was John's idea. He felt passionately about that. So I donít think the fans, unless theyíre idiots, which I donít think our fans are, some maybe, but I donít think itís a dislike of Cena personally.

    "I donít want to see [a heel turn] happen. I love John how he is from a character standpoint. He loves the adversity. The one thing about John is that John will start out getting booed out of the building, whether he's in a match or a promo, I guarantee you by the end of the match the fans are going to be applauding him and standing on their feet for what he either said or what he did in the ring. No matter what happens Sunday at Wrestlemania, no matter what happens in that match with Rock, I guarantee you that there will be a show of respect for both Cena and Rock at the end of that match. They may boo Cena out of MetLife Stadium, which they probably will because itís a New York crowd, but I guarantee you by the time thatís over there will be respect there."

    On his favorite callís/matches: "There were two that stand out. Iíve been doing this for so long, people always ask me, 'what was your favorite match?' 'What do you think of this rivalry?' I donít remember. I donít remember what happened two weeks ago sometimes on Raw thatís why I keep unbelievable notes in my iPad because I seriously donít remember. We do so much programming, I call so many shows itís hard to keep this stuff straight. But the one match that really stands out for me is the night, it was in February a number of years ago, I think it was No Way Out PPV, it was the night that Eddie won the WWE Championship from Brock and that call to me was my favorite, still to this day because I was real close with Eddie and I felt that that night when he won. This was really the crowning achievement for him. I lived through him with that. I called Mick Foley's first championship match. I was sort of thrown into that because thatís when JR was sick so I really didnít know what I was doing. I told Mick the other day that I wish that it happened like 5 years later so I could actually know what I was doing when I called it. Mick said, 'hey, you did fine, it was wonderful.' But the Eddie-Brock match was one. Undertaker-Shawn Michaels was a very emotional one.

    "Shawn and I over the years had become really close. I can tell this story because Shawn and I talk about it all the time, we've actually talked about it on a DVD; I couldnít stand him when I started in this company. I could not stand him for a number of reasons. But when he came back from his injury we got to know each other and got real close. We both live in Texas. We have a lot of the same interests; we hunt, we fish together. Actually, I'm the voice of his outdoor show, Macmillan River Adventures, on the Outdoor Channel. Calling that match to me was very emotional. The third match was last yearís Wrestlemania between Rock and Cena. It was fabulous, tremendous match to call. Probably thinking about it now, probably the best match Iíve ever called was the one a few weeks ago when Cena beat Punk to keep his opportunity to face Rock at Wrestlemania. It was like a three or four segment match on Monday Night Raw. It was incredible match and obviously when the guys have matches like that it makes our job easier. I very rarely at this point in my career go back and listen to a match that I called. I just donít do it. I've got so much stuff going on that I just donít have time. But I actually went back and listened to that match and I was very, very proud of that work. I had both Punk and Cena come to me and say, Ďlisten that was fabulous.' I think a lot of it has to do again with the fact that, remember how JR was Steve [Austin]'s guy and JR got really emotional because him and Steve were so close. I think a lot of that happens with John and I because I am close with John. It's just like anything else, when youíre emotionally attached to something, youíre going to be a little more into than you normally would. Plus that match was fabulous anyway. That was probably the favorite match that I've ever called."
    Love when we get to hear stuff like this from him, as Cole's opinions and story aren't advertised a lot.

  2. #2
    DRAMA. WMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK.
    Age
    22
    Posts
    14,449

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    That was a fantastic read. Sometimes Cole gets unwarranted criticism, he's improved leaps and bounds being the 'straight' announcer since Jerry's heart attack.

  3. #3
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,071

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    That wasn absolutely brilliant read.

    What a highly intelligent, likeable and interesting man.

  4. #4
    The Devil's Eyes BigRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Haddonfield
    Age
    23
    Posts
    14,677

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    I was surprised to hear Cole say he didn't like his calling of Foley's championship win. I freaking love it. I thought he did it justice.

    In any event, he did do a great job calling that Punk/Cena match.

    Cole's a good guy. He works his ass off, that's obvious.

  5. #5
    Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    16,116

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    I respect this guy about as much as anyone in the business, he's a complete professional and I will never understand the mostly unwarranted hate he gets, especially when he's a face.

    It's still absolutely amazing to me how he managed to keep his game face when delivering the King updates. Just the pinnacle of professionalism.

    HAYZE

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    I'm listening to Undertaker's interview on the Shit Show now. His story about Undertaker's reaction to his WM27 singlet is priceless.

    WWE's really stepping up to the plate with this WM week media blitz. And as always, I'm thrilled to hear a candid, unfiltered Michael Cole.

  7. #7
    The Doctor mysteriofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Tardis
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,924

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    ...what was Takers reaction to his singlet at Mania 27?
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

  8. #8
    Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    16,116

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well.

    HAYZE

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Shaking his head and walking out of the room, muttering about what this business had come to.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bang Bang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    I truly believe the hate Cole receives as a commentator is solely because of shit he is forced to say by Vince.

  11. #11
    An AJPW Guy Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,502

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Incredibly insightful interview. I guess I was aware that commentary isn't as easy as it seems, but an explanation from the mouth of a veteran announcer makes it seem near impossible to do well.

    I found this quote a bit odd:

    A lot of times the audience goes through peaks and valleys too throughout the show for three hours. The live crowd is up and down. So you have to try to get them going and get them up there.
    The live crowd cannot hear the commentary, can they?

  12. #12
    Diva of Destruction iron maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canadia, Eh?
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,803

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    That was a great interview abut his side of the business. Very insightful. I think we forget at times how tough it must be. Dealing with the social media aspect just adds to it. I think he is spot on about Cena.

    Macho Rocks
    Spoiler

    Diva of Destruction
    Empress of Canadia
    2010 Queen of the Forum
    2012 Tag Team Queen of the Forum - Rogue and iron maiden
    2013 PW Hall of Fame (Thank You)

  13. #13
    Senior Member LTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville AL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    565

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Was a very good Read. Alot of cool stuff and points.

    No the live Crowds can't hear them

  14. #14
    Moderator Oncall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,948

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    What a fine read, i've gained even more respect for the man after that interview





    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

    PW Power 25 winner July 2014

    The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

  15. #15
    Moderator HR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,511

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    I'm glad even he was aware how awful the heel gimmick got after a while. That was one of the most terrible things the WWE has done. Not much makes me turn off, but that was just so intolerable.

    I still think he's a garbage commentator, but we've known for a long time that the real life Michael Cole is much better than the on-screen personality.

  16. #16
    #Heel Zeki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    21
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    That was a very insightful read. Glad I took the time to read it all too.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Good read. Cole is a good guy and a good commentator, no matter what anyone says.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,019

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    That was a good read, Michael Cole sucks on commentary though. I dont like how he referenced Rock as a movie star champion, The Rock is one of the most popular wrestlers of all time, Thats the only reason hes cheered. Nobody would cheer like they do if he was simply a movie star.

  19. #19
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    1,983

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Quote Originally Posted by oWn View Post
    That was a good read, Michael Cole sucks on commentary though. I dont like how he referenced Rock as a movie star champion, The Rock is one of the most popular wrestlers of all time, Thats the only reason hes cheered. Nobody would cheer like they do if he was simply a movie star.
    Agreed with all of that.

    Also, the excuses about Cena heat being due to Rock being fresh is dumb because he's had heat for years before Rock even came back.

    I still think Cole would be better served as a Mean Gean Orkurland type who conducts interviews and makes announcments, he just isn't and never has been a good wrestling commentator IMO.

    Obviously the WWE thinks he's is and he obviously does too, but if you go back and listen to Gorrila Monsoon and J.R. and even Vince McMahon back in the day, you'll hear what a real commentator should sound like.


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bang Bang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    As much as I loved Vince coming out of commentary when he did because of the storyline I really missed him on commentary. Still do.

  21. #21
    Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    3,303

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Incredibly insightful interview. I guess I was aware that commentary isn't as easy as it seems, but an explanation from the mouth of a veteran announcer makes it seem near impossible to do well.

    I found this quote a bit odd:



    The live crowd cannot hear the commentary, can they?
    No they can't hear them, but alot of times during commercial breaks, they will speak to the crowd, let them know when they are coming back on air, and try and keep them pumped up. I'm sure that is what he is referring to.

    Banner by-ThreadKiller

  22. #22
    Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,680

    Default Re: Cole Talks John Cena, Three Hour Raws, Lawler Heart Attack, Favorite Matches, mor

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Incredibly insightful interview. I guess I was aware that commentary isn't as easy as it seems, but an explanation from the mouth of a veteran announcer makes it seem near impossible to do well.

    I found this quote a bit odd:



    The live crowd cannot hear the commentary, can they?
    They can't, but I think Cole's talking about keeping the TV audience glued to the screen for three hours. If the fans who paid to be there live get disinterested at points, then what chance does it have on television where we can flip the channel at any time? It's his job to keep us watching the entire broadcast.

    Also, John Cena into country music? Did not see that coming.

    Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •