Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Vs Taker: Wrestlemania 30

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Default Rock Vs Taker: Wrestlemania 30

I know everyone is dead set on Cena/'Taker for 'Mania 30, which for todays product is probably a likely scenario and one I'm sure the WWE will try and do next year because it makes the most sense to fixate Cena as a legend in WWE lore. Also, the rumored Brock/Rock matchup.

But, is the better selling match one that should have taken place years ago at 'Mania but never did. Since there is no chance in hell we get Austin/'Taker which to me would have been the marquee accomplishment for 'Taker streak. To me the match that would have the greatest success and truly sell 'Mania alone is Rock vs 'Taker.

Outside of HHH, HBK and Austin, these two are the only remnants left from the Monday Night Wars that could actually have a chance of facing each other and IMO, it is the match 'Taker would need to solidify his streak because the only two he has defeated on the 'Mount Rushmore' (outside of Taker-HBK, HHH, Austin, Rock) of the Attitude Era is HHH and HBK.

I ask you, which would be the better match for 'Taker to retire on (taken he actually retires next year), versus Rock or Cena?

Banner by-ThreadKiller

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: Rock Vs Taker: Wrestlemania 30

Rock vs Brock and Taker vs Cena is the right way to go next year.

If Taker somehow decides to stick around for 31, then we can talk about the Rock match.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

I've seen enough Rock vs Taker to know I don't want to see any more Rock vs Taker. Especially not in 2014.

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Coco View Post
    I've seen enough Rock vs Taker to know I don't want to see any more Rock vs Taker. Especially not in 2014.
    This IS true.

I was thinking more on a linear notion of 'selling' Mania around it, but now that you guys posted what you have....Cena/'Taker and Rock/Brock are logically the better choices.

But I'm now wondering, since those two matches never happened at 'Mania, I wonder what the reasoning was behind it. Why wouldn't Vince put Rock/Taker or even the bigger Austin/'Taker match at 'Mania? I know there has been plenty of 'missed opportunities' for big time matches in the past, but you would think one of those two at some point would have occurred.

Makes me think that there truly was a predeterimination years before the Flair match that Taker and McMahon came to agreement on that he would have an undefeated Mania streak, and there was no way he'd test that wager by pitting Austin or Rock against 'Taker.

Banner by-ThreadKiller

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Austin/Rock was the logical match at both 15 and 17, and Taker missed 16.

I would have been cool with Austin/Taker at 18, though.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

It would have made sense this year if Cena/Rock was indeed Once In A Lifetime and you ignore Rock winning the WWE Title. Rock said last year regarding defeating John Cena that he had to do so in order to be the GOAT officially. After accomplishing this, he said he had to win the WWE Title one last time to be the GOAT. He could have instead said that he had to do something that no one has been able to do yet, and that's defeat Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania if he truly did want to become the GOAT. And what's funny is that WWE released their own version of Mt. Rushmore just 2-3 months ago, and the four faces on it were Hogan, Austin, Cena and Undertaker. Undertaker would literally be the only guy left on there who hadn't yet fallen to The Rock at Wrestlemania.

Putting aside that there would be that interesting build to it, I don't care to see Undertaker/Rock or Undertaker/Austin or whatever. I've seen enough of these in the past that I don't want to see a rare Taker/Austin/Rock match to be wasted on one another when they've already faced off plenty before in the past. Undertaker/Cena is the way to go since they haven't faced of at all (much less at Mania) since Cena became a big name, and Cena's more relevant throughout the whole calendar year these days than any of the part timers are anyway.

I honestly wouldn't change my mind if Rock decided he wasn't doing movies anymore, Hogan landed in a time warp, and Austin's injuries miraculously healed - I want 'Taker/Cena.

It's Wrestlemania 30 - for me there is only one match available that is reflective of a such a milestone event - Taker vs. Cena!

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I think Rock/Brock is actually a bigger main stream match than Rock/Taker would be.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Rock/Brock and Taker/Cena if there's any Taker match.

But for the sake of this discussion, Rock/Taker would be interesting because I think Rock would be an odds on favorite to win, and that would be a change for streak matches.

And let's say Rock did win, he would then possess the best lineup of Mania victims that ther could ever be, Hogan, Austin, Cena, and Taker.

It ain't happening though.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    It's Wrestlemania 30 - for me there is only one match available that is reflective of a such a milestone event - Taker vs. Cena!
    Punk/Austin would be good too. And of course Rock/Brock.

I like alot of you are for Undertaker/Cena but don't want Cena to end the Streak I don't want it to end. I feel this is something that Vince and WWE put themselfs in and now must live with it. I mean if it was just 4 or 5 wins then ok, but after that no. This is something that UT will always be Remember for and should have it taken away. Now IMO if you want do something big it would take like 22 years to do but pick a guy and let him start a Streak at WM and try to beat Undertaker.

Now I don't want anybody LTAO at me but it you think about it thier are like 6 guys this at WM who has never been there. Fan Dan Go and Ryback both being in singles matches they could start with one of them. The other being in Tag Matches wouldn't have the same feel.

I take a slightly different view on Taker's opponent for next year. Now assuming Taker wins this year, which we all feel is almost a guarantee, the only logical choice left for a threat to end the stream would be Cena. However, I think most of us agree the streak will never end, and even though just wrestling Taker at mania is a main event, it's still a loss in the end. Cena losing to Taker does not tarnish his image, but it also does not make Cena any bigger. Frankly, Cena simply does not need the rub from Taker.

Now what I'd like to see is a longer build up for Taker's opponent at WM30, and make that opponent someone that needs the rub, i.e. Bryan, Ziggler, Ryback. Sure they'll lose, but like others have said, being in a match with Taker at mania basically makes you a main event guy. So in a sense even though Taker wins, it's still a way for him to pass the torch. Imagine this scenario, Daniel Bryan wins MITB this summer, and then immidiately says he wants to use his briefcase to attain the ultimate prize, to end the streak. He could spend months calling out Taker, the storyline posibilities are endless.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelticsboy View Post
    Punk/Austin would be good too. And of course Rock/Brock.
    Honestly speaking, I expect all three.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

I'm sorry for those who say that the streak should to someone who needs it, but Cena ending it creates more possibilities in my opinion. Having Taker lose a match to Ryback or Daniel Bryan (lol) won't mean shit for them in the long run. You cannot even make an angle out of it. It will just be, "HOLY SHIT, so and so ended the streak, see you on Raw tomorrow night" and that's it, there is nowhere else to go from there. The fans will probably react to the guy for about a month and a half.

Now Cena on the other hand.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...

I have thought about a Rock .Vs Taker Wretlemania match for a while now.I the big picture the dual main event of Rock/Brock and Cena/Taker makes as you said more sense but I still think a Rock/Taker match up would be huge and would be on pair with those other two matches.Plus with Rock running his mouth about being GOAT and how he's beating everyone their is to beat and has also beaten Hogan,Austin and Cena at Wrestlemania.It would make sense that the only think left for The Rock to due to make his claims legit would be to end Undertakers streak.While Taker has beaten just about everyone their is to beat and now he only fights to keep his streak alive the only two guys worthy of really challanging him for his streak in my eyes would be Cena and Rock.

Lets just say they due got Rock/Taker that doesn't mean they can't due other huge matches.If that was the case you could run with a Cena/Punk world title match and then have Brock face off against Ryback,Sheamus or a returning Batista or hell if they could get him out of retirement HBK looking for revenge for Triple H.I think a triple main event along those lines again could on pair match a dual main event of Brock/Rock and Taker/Cena and might even be a better route to go.

Most agree that the two matches at WM 30 should be Rock vs. Brock and Taker vs. Cena. But here's a question: should either of those matches be for the WWE Championship?

In my eyes that's a bit of a catch-22. Neither match should have the title involved because

1. Having 2 part timers fight for the richest prize in wrestling just feels a bit wrong to me
    2. It would completely ruin the outcome of Cena/Taker, the one streak match which has some unpredictability to it.

However, having the WWE title be in the 3rd most important match on the card doesn't feel right either. For the record i'd have Ziggler defending against Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

PW Power 25 winner July 2014

The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    However, having the WWE title be in the 3rd most important match on the card doesn't feel right either. For the record I'd have Ziggler defending against Punk
    Punk v Jericho was the 3rd biggest match last year with Rock v Cena & HHH v Taker both more important

Rock v Taker doesn't really seem special after seeing it hundreds of times in the Attitude Era. Rock v Brock & Taker v Cena both happened only once in 2003, they have a huge special feeling about each other

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

I agree with the idea that if Rock vs. Undertaker happened THIS YEAR it would be huge because of what Rock proclaimed last year that he wanted to prove he was the GOAT going over Austin and Hogan and then today's top star John Cena. The whole story changes when he has to face the ALL-TIME GREAT THE UNDERTAKER who has DEFEATED THEM ALL(with exception to John Cena which SETS UP THAT for next year in itself).

Rock/Brock and Cena/Taker is the way to go for next year though.

As for if any of those two matches should be for the WWE Title? I think Cena/Taker should be the title match.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    I agree with the idea that if Rock vs. Undertaker happened THIS YEAR it would be huge because of what Rock proclaimed last year that he wanted to prove he was the GOAT going over Austin and Hogan and then today's top star John Cena. The whole story changes when he has to face the ALL-TIME GREAT THE UNDERTAKER who has DEFEATED THEM ALL(with exception to John Cena which SETS UP THAT for next year in itself).

Rock/Brock and Cena/Taker is the way to go for next year though.

As for if any of those two matches should be for the WWE Title? I think Cena/Taker should be the title match.
    Austin beat Taker more often than not though

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    Austin beat Taker more often than not though
    All they have to show is UT pinning Austin for the title in 1999 to set the promotion into motion selling that story. Just like how the company did ignored HHH being pinned by Undertaker at WM 17 when the two feuded for the last 2 Mania cards.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Cena/Taker for the WWE title would be huge.

Title vs Streak....highest stakes possible for Wrestlemania XXX.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

I know some would be against it, but what you said right there is the truth. If the company ever wanted to promote a match as the biggest match ever since Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant THIS match would be it under those circumstances.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Cena/Taker for the WWE title would be huge.

Title vs Streak....highest stakes possible for Wrestlemania XXX.
    But that would be too predictable. Taker can't win the title. He's like Santa Clause, he only shows up once a year. He can't win the WWE Title and then wait a year to defend it again at Mania 31. I know Takers mania matches have been pretty predictable ever since the E started hyping the streak but that stipulation would be even worse. Personally, I hope Mania 29 is Takers last one. I like the guy. I always have. But its time to hang up the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by merle View Post
    But that would be too predictable. Taker can't win the title. He's like Santa Clause, he only shows up once a year. He can't win the WWE Title and then wait a year to defend it again at Mania 31. I know Takers mania matches have been pretty predictable ever since the E started hyping the streak but that stipulation would be even worse. Personally, I hope Mania 29 is Takers last one. I like the guy. I always have. But its time to hang up the boots.
    Would really be that predictable though? He has HAS won all the matches he's been in at WrestleMania, while just last year like 99 percent of people online thought Cena was winning.

I think adding the title adds more drama as it gives the bigger predictability that the streak may very well be ending.

As shown this year Taker is appearing post Mania and has appeared before Mania in a house show match. The dynamic could all change next year in the build with Taker showing up more. It is not like he just appears at Mania and vanishes without any sightings before and this year after.

I think one of the two matches has to be the title match because it just makes the title an afterthought.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information