Thread: What would the Punk/Taker storyline be if Paul HADN'T died?

Default What would the Punk/Taker storyline be if Paul HADN'T died?

I saw this asked in a thread recently and it actually got me thinking what direction they would've taken? At the moment it's Punk taking the urn and disrespecting Pauls death and thus thats how this match up and storyline have been made up, I can't imagine if Paul hadn't died maybe they wouldn't have done Punk stealing the urn because Takers character doesn't really need it or use as much as he has in past apart from his feud with Kane I guess
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

Default Re: What would the Punk/Taker storyline be if Paul HADN'T died?

I think Punk was going the "Wrestling God" angle with Taker returning to show who is the real supernatural in the business.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it would have been about Punk saying he doesn't need the main event of Wrestlemania. An even bigger feat than winning the WWE Title again is to do what no man has been able to do and that's defeat Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He says by defeating arguably the most respected man in WWE, people will have no choice but to respect him and realize he is in fact the best in the world. Challenging Undertaker (before that silly four way match was made) as a way of making up for him failing to win the belt back from the Rock or win Cena's right to challenge for the belt at WM would have been logical for his character.

I don't see why some people find this so puzzling or mysterious to find out. The whole Respect angle is what people were talking about being the backstory before Paul Bearer even died.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, it would have been about Punk saying he doesn't need the main event of Wrestlemania. An even bigger feat than winning the WWE Title again is to do what no man has been able to do and that's defeat Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He says by defeating arguably the most respected man in WWE, people will have no choice but to respect him and realize he is in fact the best in the world. Challenging Undertaker (before that silly four way match was made) as a way of making up for him failing to win the belt back from the Rock or win Cena's right to challenge for the belt at WM would have been logical for his character.

I don't see why some people find this so puzzling or mysterious to find out. The whole Respect angle is what people were talking about being the backstory before Paul Bearer even died.
    Agree with the part I bolded. What I would have said word-for-word.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    I think Punk was going the "Wrestling God" angle with Taker returning to show who is the real supernatural in the business.
    Yeah, pretty much this. I think a lot of the booking (especially when it comes to Punk) is done on the fly, so no surprise really that this was dropped when the chance to do something potentially even bigger occurred. I imagine it would have still been a pretty great feud/build-up.

Thread Information