Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fan's observation of the wwe fanbase

Default A fan's observation of the wwe fanbase

From PWTorch.com:

WWE Raw Live Perspective
    Submitted by PWTorch reader Jason

"Let me preface this by saying that I have been a fan of wrestling for as long as I can recall. I have attended live events for about 20 years now and have been following wrestling both in the mainstream and behind the scenes for almost that entire time. I am the kid who used to watch ECW on public access TV on my local Philly station late at night.

Those things considered, every week I read different things on PWTorch about the three-hour Raw format weakening the product and WWE Creative needing to step up. I have agreed with these points essentially 100 percent since they have been shared. That is, until Monday night when I attended the live broadcast of WWE Monday Night Raw.

I don’t believe that the WWE Creative team, nor Vince McMahon, nor the three-hour Raws are the main reasons why the product has reached its current threshold of mediocrity. I think that a majority of the blame falls on the fans that come to these shows. At this point, WWE is playing to the lowest common denominator, and it is selling.

I arrived at the arena on-time and was seated to see the taping of the Superstars matches. And what I observed from that point until the end of the show was pretty much a case for my point. One of the first things that got me thinking about the state of WWE was fan reactions to certain matches. Essentially any match that had a heel in control for more than 30 seconds or went longer than three minutes created a restless crowd. Shortly after the first "boring" chant (during Kofi Kingston’s Superstars match), I started listening to the conversations of the fans seated around me. Many of these people were adults there with their children and were talking about everything but wrestling. Not a total surprise, but a very different audience then I had seen in years prior.

My real shock started during the Kane & Daniel Bryan match, though. I listened as individuals behind me spoke in astonishment that "Kane" was able to still wrestle, considering that he has been around for so long starting as Mankind, Cactus Jack, and then Dude Love before becoming Kane. Yes, they really believed that. But, during the Q&A panel, they were unable to identify Mick Foley as anyone famous. I even heard an audible “Who is that?” come from the same group. Furthermore, they were all very excited when Great Khali came out to give The Shield their comeuppance, and were shocked when The Shield defeated them. Later, they showed a video package highlighting moments on Raw from the past, and people were shocked when Vince’s limo exploded. They were enthralled with Stone Cold’s antics saying things like, “He really drove a Zamboni into the arena?” They were also uncertain that The Rock of the '90s was the same Rock of today, and could not identify Chris Jericho with long hair.

Then came the nail in the coffin. Brodus Clay and Tensai came out to wrestle and the arena exploded. They not only received one of the biggest pops of the night, but there were probably 1,000 male fans over the age of 35 mimicking the Funk-a-saurus Dance. It was watching this when everything came together. This is the majority of the WWE Universe. Not those of us familiar with the term German Suplex and can name a retired wrestler other than Ric Flair (who, by the way, everyone was waiting for and if I hear “WOOO!” one more time...).

This is the fanbase. These people are cheering for Khali and Zack Ryder. These are the people longing for Santino (and trust me there was much distress that he was not present for the show). WWE is hearing the cheers and selling the merchandise. It is unfortunate because as long as the majority of fans have no idea what they are watching and pop to dumb schtick, wrestling fans are stuck with this kind of programming."
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: A fan's observation of the wwe fanbase

Guy sounds like a douchebag. He's only just realised this? How dare people have fun at wrestling!

Knows he isn't welcome

Well, this fan certainly made his opinion.

Mine is that he is a pretentious jerk, and Im very happy to hear people going nuts for Brodus Clay and Tensai, and looking forward to see Santino.
    That's all, folks.

In all honesty, I'm having trouble believing a lot of what he is saying about that arena crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    In all honesty, I'm having trouble believing a lot of what he is saying about that arena crowd.
    I agree, especially the stuff in this paragraph:

My real shock started during the Kane & Daniel Bryan match, though. I listened as individuals behind me spoke in astonishment that "Kane" was able to still wrestle, considering that he has been around for so long starting as Mankind, Cactus Jack, and then Dude Love before becoming Kane. Yes, they really believed that. But, during the Q&A panel, they were unable to identify Mick Foley as anyone famous. I even heard an audible “Who is that?” come from the same group. Furthermore, they were all very excited when Great Khali came out to give The Shield their comeuppance, and were shocked when The Shield defeated them. Later, they showed a video package highlighting moments on Raw from the past, and people were shocked when Vince’s limo exploded. They were enthralled with Stone Cold’s antics saying things like, “He really drove a Zamboni into the arena?” They were also uncertain that The Rock of the '90s was the same Rock of today, and could not identify Chris Jericho with long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    I think he may be doing a tad bit of over generalization too. Last time I checked the mail in stuff from live events wanted reports on the actual ring action lol.

I see what he's trying to do though and don't doubt there are fans out there like that. Nothing wrong with that imo as long as they enjoy themselves as they are paying their money for the events.

What I do agree with is the company dumbing down the product and alienating long time viewers causing them to switch off the programming.
    Last edited by Vince Mcmahon; 03-28-2013 at 02:05 AM.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I understand where you guys are coming from I mean anyone you pays to go to a show has the right to do and cheere who ever the want.

As far someone mixing up Kane and Foley I need more info on the guy was he with a kid witch mean hes not really into Wrestling and is just being a great Dad takeing his kid to something he likes just to be involved in thier kid life.

Or was he with a group of friends that are into Wrestling and he went to just hang out with his firends.

Banned

I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

He comes across as a bit of a pretentious twat but I kinda what he is saying too. He shouldn't criticize people for how they act at live shows though, it's entirely their right. Of course that is such a TINY part of the WWE "universe" too.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

The real problem with a portion of today's wrestling fans is that they've been conditioned by the lame writing and booking of the WWE over the past 10 years or so.

With that said I think this guy was just in a bad section in the arena because Philly is a pretty good wrestling city, and I'm sure most fans there know the difference between Foley and Kane, and who Jericho is without long hair.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    The real problem with a portion of today's wrestling fans is that they've been conditioned by the lame writing and booking of the WWE over the past 10 years or so.

With that said I think this guy was just in a bad section in the arena because Philly is a pretty good wrestling city, and I'm sure most fans there know the difference between Foley and Kane, and who Jericho is without long hair.
    Just on that Jericho thing, what is wrong with that? If people can't recognise someone because of the hair length I don't think it takes away from them as a fan. I didn't realise that Fandango was Johnny Curtis until I saw someone mention it on here but I don't think that means I should lose any credibility or have my identity questioned as a fan.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeki View Post
    Just on that Jericho thing, what is wrong with that? If people can't recognise someone because of the hair length I don't think it takes away from them as a fan. I didn't realise that Fandango was Johnny Curtis until I saw someone mention it on here but I don't think that means I should lose any credibility or have my identity questioned as a fan.
    No I get that, but the guy was kinda generalizing as if the entire arena was made up of fans who didn't know who short haired Jericho is and that's just dumb for a number of reasons.

One its Philly, they know wrestling in Philly.

Two Jericho has had short hair for like 7 years now.

Three, most people who watch wrestling at all have at least seen some footage from the past at some point, and can probably figure the guy with the same name and moves and music is the same guy with the long hair.

I'm just sayin, its pretty dumb to assume a large portion of Todays fans are so dense they don't know who Jericho is without his long hair.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

No I get that, but the guy was kinda generalizing as if the entire arena was made up of fans who didn't know who short haired Jericho is and that's just dumb for a number of reasons.

One its Philly, they know wrestling in Philly.

Two Jericho has had short hair for like 7 years now.

Three, most people who watch wrestling at all have at least seen some footage from the past at some point, and can probably figure the guy with the same name and moves and music is the same guy with the long hair.

I'm just sayin, its pretty dumb to assume a large portion of Todays fans are so dense they don't know who Jericho is without his long hair.
    I agree entirely. Obviously it is such a small portion of the entire WWE fanbase it isn't even worth being bothered about. Anyone can find 5 or 6 people who don't have the best wrestling knowledge and bitch and complain about them. Just seems pointless to me.

IF this was the majority I think it is safe to say that Philly hardcore fans didn't bother showing up this go round, but that is a big IF.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

just a plain cunt Waffle Circus's Avatar

Could you imagine fans attending a wrestling event and not knowing the history of the business? Fuck them!

I absolutely refuse to believe that anybody mistook Kane as being Dude fucking Love.

And there are people that will still try to tell everyone that the real Ultimate Warrior died.

And these are the people that Dixie Carter expects to ever watch her company's show.

Yep. Kane as Cactus Jack and Mankind. Yep. Sounds about right. And I'll admit it. I know I'm a pretentious prick, but THAT....THAT is WWE's audience.

And that's exactly how they want it.
    Fanny Pack Wrestling Podcast---saving the world from the WWE Malaise, one episode at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Roman Reigns becomes champion for the first time before Bryan wins the title again? I'll get in on that action.

With my PW Career. Bryan wins the title again before Roman, I'm gone.

Heaven forbid!

Wrestling fans lack sophistication and knowledge?!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet (/Clay Davis)

I think listening to casual wrestling fans is interesting. They just have a fun innocence about their love of WWE and what they like about it.

One particular bit stood out to me when I was at Smackdown recently. A guy randomly was talking about Ryback behind me. He said, "I don't like Ryback, HHH could totally kick his ass."

And there are people that will still try to tell everyone that the real Ultimate Warrior died.

And these are the people that Dixie Carter expects to ever watch her company's show.

Yep. Kane as Cactus Jack and Mankind. Yep. Sounds about right. And I'll admit it. I know I'm a pretentious prick, but THAT....THAT is WWE's audience.

And that's exactly how they want it.
    Until these people stop watching and the company caters to the IWC/long time viewers again for brief moments until the next phase comes in. The last phase was 2006-7 where the great divide happened with Cena on top.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Knows he isn't welcome

"How dare WWE give people other than us, super wise encyclopedias, what they want? Bastards! Now I won't stream the next PPV like I always do, it's their loss!"
    Last edited by Nightwolf; 03-28-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    That's all, folks.

How can anyone mix up Kane & Mick Foley is beyond me!

Thanks To Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    Until these people stop watching and the company caters to the IWC/long time viewers again for brief moments until the next phase comes in. The last phase was 2006-7 where the great divide happened with Cena on top.
    And that's when they push extra hard to bring them back.

The people that say "HHH and Stephanie aren't REALLY married. They're gonna have him and Brock fight for her at Wrestlemania."
    Fanny Pack Wrestling Podcast---saving the world from the WWE Malaise, one episode at a time!

Roman Reigns becomes champion for the first time before Bryan wins the title again? I'll get in on that action.

He contradicts himself in the third paragraph by saying it's the fans' fault as opposed to WWE Creative etc... then goes on to say the fans are there because WWE markets to the lowest common denominator. There's some failed logic going on there.

This guy needs to realise the majority of wrestling fans are not IWC nerds. They're just casual followers of the product. They won't know much history, they will get past characters confused, they won't be as invested in the show as the more hardcore fans in attendance. It's hilarious that he's observing all of this with apparently genuine shock and felt the need to write an essay on it, as opposed to just accepting that most casual fans are precisely that - casual.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONA View Post
    He contradicts himself in the third paragraph by saying it's the fans' fault as opposed to WWE Creative etc... then goes on to say the fans are there because WWE markets to the lowest common denominator. There's some failed logic going on there.

This guy needs to realise the majority of wrestling fans are not IWC nerds. They're just casual followers of the product. They won't know much history, they will get past characters confused, they won't be as invested in the show as the more hardcore fans in attendance. It's hilarious that he's observing all of this with apparently genuine shock and felt the need to write an essay on it, as opposed to just accepting that most casual fans are precisely that - casual.
    It's not the shock of casual fans actually existing. It's the shock of just how nearly bereft of the product, not the history, but the CURRENT PRODUCT casual fans can be. Not recognizing Chris Jericho because of his short hair. Not knowing the name "Mick Foley".

Those things are understandably baffling, coming from people that would call themselves fans. Not everyone is like the Internet, but at least SOME people remember what happened 3 weeks ago.

Thread Information