Thread: John Cena Interview in Men's Fitness

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

Default John Cena Interview in Men's Fitness

So John Cena is yet again on the cover of Men's Fitness (think the 3rd time).

He had a few interesting comments in an 8-page spread.

Q: What's been your toughest injury to rehab from?
    A: "Just a basic elbow scope, believe it or not (October 2012). I had reconstructive pectoral surgery, I had a cervical neck fusion, and a scope...the scope was the toughest."

Q: As a wrestler, how many days a week are you touring?
    A: "Many. Anywhere between four and six or seven, depending on the week. I've often publicized the busyness of our schedule, but that's just to familiarize the ignorant people with, hey, we don't just travel once a week. Or when people condescendingly talk about what we do. It would be like an NFL player having 300 games in a year instead of 16. You know, they tried to expand the schedule to 18 games and the union was up in arms. So by advertising our schedule, it's pretty much saying, hey, I know we're entertainment, that's for sure, but to sell us short is being ignorant."

Q: Describe the pressure you feel being the industry's franchise player.
    A: "I love it. I love it. Like I said, this is not a job to me - it's my life. I've given up a normal life to live this life. It never gets to be too much. Even with the literally instant criticism of the internet, I still welcome it all. It's fantastic."

Q: What's kept you going strong for more than 10 years?
    A: "It's obvious, I love the business. It's not a matter of financial gain or loss. It's a matter of passion, and everyone keeps asking me 'Well when's the transition coming?' There is no transition. If there's a transition it's a lateral transition within this company to help mold the future of the company. I've been enamored with the business, and that's not just in the ring. I love everything about it. Just the spontaneity of it all. I love it and I don't want to be anywhere else."

Q: Have you started having those conversations?
    A: "I still got a little gas in the tank. So, no. No, I ain't there yet, I ain't even close. I'm stronger now at 35 than I've ever been in my life, and healthier as well."

Q: Have you ever feared for your safety?
    A: "No. Not once. This is a public-eye business, and it's almost like, the contact that's involved, it's a physical business. You're going to get hurt. Your body is going to be more worn than someone who sits in a cubicle all day long. When I'm 55, I'll be much more worn that John Q. Public, but I'll have so many great memories. I get it. I get the end product of all this, and I'm not going to blame anyone. I know what I'm signing up for. I know the risks of travel complications, accidents, someone in the live audience."

Q: You're only 35, and WWE tends to shift the focus away from guys at around 40. How do you react to that?
    A: "My goal is to do the best I can for this company - no matter what the circumstance. That's it. And I've made a pact to myself that - you can tell when you're a step behind somebody - when I become a step behind, it's time to go."

Q: Are you targeting Ric Flair's record of 16 world titles?
    A: "No, and I know the group of folks you speak of, who don't necessarily think so kindly of me, are certainly going to want to find the tallest tree in the land if that ever happens. I'd like to stop at 13, but hold on to it longer than Bruno. How's that?"

Q: Any more movies planned?
    A: "No. Things come and they go, but I've been close in a lot of stuff and, to be quite honest, it comes down to, well, would you be willing to take time off to shoot the movie? And my answer is always no - it really has to be an unbelievably inviting scenario, because they're asking me to take time off from what I love. And, the great thing about doing all the WWE Films stuff, or even little stuff like Fred: The Movie, is that they accommodated my schedule so I could film and still perform. I just don't want to be away from this."

Q: What are some differences between working with a guy like The Rock or CM Punk?
    A: "To me, it's all the same. I think the one thing that Dwayne carries with him is that aura of being the best, so you need to be on your game at all times. But, you certainly do with Punk as well, because he'll cut you up in many different ways."

Q: What's going to make Wrestlemania 29 stand out for you?
    A: "For me, personally, I love the fact that it's in New York and New Jersey. That is literally home field for the WWE. And, to be quite honest, when you get close to that Times Square location, it becomes the center of the world. I'm really happy about that, just to be, if you trace the lineage of the company, literally in the backyard of the WWE. They used to talk about Madison Square Garden or maybe Shea Stadium. And now it's MetLife Stadium. And it's bigger, it's better, it's more entertaining. That holds a lot of weight with me, personally. Like I said, I'm obsessed with the performance side as well as the business side, and to see the business thriving after all these years is really, really cool."

Then they did a "Few Words" segment with Cena giving his thoughts on...

The Rock: "Biggest star in the WWE."

Ric Flair: "Cornerstone of pro wrestling."

Steve Austin: "Self-made success."

Triple H: "The wisest man, aside from Vince McMahon, who's associated with this industry."

Brock Lesnar: "The toughest son of a bitch on two legs."

CM Punk: "An individual who refuses to settle."

Dolph Ziggler: "One of the most talented in-ring performers I've ever seen."

Vince McMahon: "He's gonna kill me for saying this...my hero."

Fred Flintstone: "The former face of the best breakfast cereal on the market."

The Fred Flintstone comment made me

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Default Re: John Cena Interview in Men's Fitness

I think I made history...I posted the first ever Cena related thread that didn't start a debate!

Seems like a solid interview, surprised to hear that Cena's interested in moving to a backstage role when he retires from the ring. I figured he'd go live it up with the amount he must have been pulling in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post
    I think I made history...I posted the first ever Cena related thread that didn't start a debate!
    No you didn't.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by mattdragn View Post
    Seems like a solid interview, surprised to hear that Cena's interested in moving to a backstage role when he retires from the ring. I figured he'd go live it up with the amount he must have been pulling in.
    I actually do wonder how much Cena has in the bank...not that I am thinking of killing him or anything, I just am very interested in what the main guy would have accumilated in 7 odd years of being the top merch seller ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Peepshow View Post
    I actually do wonder how much Cena has in the bank...not that I am thinking of killing him or anything, I just am very interested in what the main guy would have accumilated in 7 odd years of being the top merch seller ect.
    It's an interesting thought. He's got movies, endorsement deals and his contract. But he's also had a divorce, car collection and built his own gym.

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post

Q: What are some differences between working with a guy like The Rock or CM Punk?
    A: "To me, it's all the same. I think the one thing that Dwayne carries with him is that aura of being the best, so you need to be on your game at all times. But, you certainly do with Punk as well, because he'll cut you up in many different ways."
    This is interesting imo and may explaina few things. IMO, it isn't all the same and you got to change it up with different opponents. I guess this is why some have stated Rock/Cena have no chemistry.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

@ the Flintstone comment. Not a bad interview though, I like hearing Cena speak like this he comes across very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeki View Post
    @ the Flintstone comment. Not a bad interview though, I like hearing Cena speak like this he comes across very well.
    This was maybe 30% of the entire interview. I just put up the stuff that I found interesting. There were a lot of questions that were kinda retread stuff, but still, great read.

Thread Information