Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AJ Styles-Sting redux?

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Default AJ Styles-Sting redux?

Must admit, I've been watching TNA recently and overall pleasantly suprised with what I'm seeing. Good stuff.

Anywho, last night on Impact as AJ was coming out to the ring, and then did his 'silent' interview with Tenay and to an extent Taz, my mind started wandering....and couldn't help but see a comparisn evident in what they are doing with AJ was the same thing done years ago with Sting.

Going all 'awol' with a edgier character (so far), and he is TNA's 'franchise' just like Sting was (although didn't Styles have a very, VERY short stint in WWE?)...anywho....

Am I alone in this feeling? I mean that feeling went even deeper when Taz offered him one of Aces and 8's Cuts just like the NWO extended its hand to Sting, and for some time we didn't know what the dude was doing.

AJ=Sting 2013? Or am I an idiot for even remotely feeling this way?

Banner by-ThreadKiller

Default Re: AJ Styles-Sting redux?

I had the same thought. The main difference being that AJ now looks like a homeless guy, whereas Sting still looked pretty cool throughout his period of change.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Yes.

But I don't have enough faith in the current regime to make TNA the "savior".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

I have to admit it is a good idea to keep AJ silent. He's never been great at promos, so let his actions do the talking instead. Sting managed to get ridiculously over in '97 without uttering a single word. AJ won't reach that level but he's got more chance of getting over like this than by cutting promos.

Anybody with eyes can see that's what they're trying to do. TNA has their nWo. They just need their Sting that's not Sting.

I would said that the only thing I'am seeing is that AJ is turning heel and turning on his friends, as where Sting felt that his friends and the people that he was frighting for didn't trust him so he watch untill the time was right and then went after Hogan and the NWO. So for AJ to pull off what Sting did he would have to wait a few more months and then come back and batter Aces & 8's.

Yes he is TNA's 'franchise' just like Sting was and although did have a very, very short stint in WWE, he was a nobody untill he came to TNA.

Franchise&GCBRollinITBack Franchise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    Anybody with eyes can see that's what they're trying to do. TNA has their nWo. They just need their Sting that's not Sting.
    I disagree.

If I'm wrong, I will apologize, but I really don't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by LTS View Post
    I would said that the only thing I'am seeing is that AJ is turning heel and turning on his friends, as where Sting felt that his friends and the people that he was frighting for didn't trust him so he watch untill the time was right and then went after Hogan and the NWO. So for AJ to pull off what Sting did he would have to wait a few more months and then come back and batter Aces & 8's.

Yes he is TNA's 'franchise' just like Sting was and although did have a very, very short stint in WWE, he was a nobody untill he came to TNA.
    AJ didn't turn on his friends. He feels as though his friends turned on him. Everybody that was in Fourtune kinda screwed him over. Roode, Kaz, & Daniels are obvious, but Storm was the one that caused AJ to be unable to fight for the World Title for a year. AJ feels betrayed and like he can't trust anybody. Sting felt the exact same way. AJ is going through a darker transformation. Sting did the same thing. AJ has already cut his "Stick It" promo and taken a leave of absence. Now that he's back, he's silent now and his motivations are unclear. Aces & Eights will start being more friendly to AJ. Hell, they've even already had them offer AJ a spot. The nWo did the exact same with Sting. All that's left is for AJ to feign joining Aces & Eights only to turn against them and start tormenting them, leading to BFG, where he finally gets his shot against Bully Ray, an established rival.

It writes itself.

Yeah, I'd go with that. When you consider TNA has serious form for attempting to rip off old WCW gimmicks/storylines it isn't really a surprise either.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

That's EXACTLY what I thought when watching.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

They should have Sting trying to convince AJ to reform and be good.

AJ didn't turn on his friends. He feels as though his friends turned on him. Everybody that was in Fourtune kinda screwed him over. Roode, Kaz, & Daniels are obvious, but Storm was the one that caused AJ to be unable to fight for the World Title for a year. AJ feels betrayed and like he can't trust anybody. Sting felt the exact same way. AJ is going through a darker transformation. Sting did the same thing. AJ has already cut his "Stick It" promo and taken a leave of absence. Now that he's back, he's silent now and his motivations are unclear. Aces & Eights will start being more friendly to AJ. Hell, they've even already had them offer AJ a spot. The nWo did the exact same with Sting. All that's left is for AJ to feign joining Aces & Eights only to turn against them and start tormenting them, leading to BFG, where he finally gets his shot against Bully Ray, an established rival.

It writes itself.
    After reading what you wrote and thinking about it I see your point. The only part I can't agreed with is that Storm caused him not to be able to go for the Title. The way I see it is that Storm did what the other two should have done and that is win, but if you really get down to it it was Dixie and Hogan that took AJ out of the Title Picture and then went and scew Storm by making him drop his Title match to the biggest bady in the World IMO Roode.

- - - Updated - - -

It writes itself.
    After reading what you wrote and thinking about it I see your point. The only part I can't agreed with is that Storm caused him not to be able to go for the Title. The way I see it is that Storm did what the other two should have done and that is win, but if you really get down to it it was Dixie and Hogan that took AJ out of the Title Picture and then went and scew Storm by making him drop his Title match to the biggest bady in the World IMO Roode.

I was thinking this same thing. But I think something else is going to happen first. With Aces & Eights playing the nWo role and AJ playing the Sting "lost sole/franchise player" this leaves HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN to play the role of the "false hero". Like Lex Luger before him, I think HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN is going to be the initial hero whom the fans trust to go after Aces and Eights and like Luger (How about that? HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN the second coming of Luger. Who would have thought that?), HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN will win the title only to drop it right back in a very short time to cause a sense of hopelessness to set it. Then the stage is set for the franchise player to return and save the company in which he has invested so much of his life.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

I only have one question: If AJ is Sting... then who will A's & 8's get to play Fake AJ? Is Matt Sydal available?

Just watched his return. Absolutely a redux, even dressing in the same fashion as A&8. Still ... I'm interested.

The Ultimate Fic'er Competitor: Proud Member of Team RT
    • Round 1 Result: Survived, Team RT MVP (Rebooking WrestleMania XXX)
    • Round 1 Result: Survived (Promo, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin)

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Default Aj Styles

What happened to Aj Styles? Does he still wrestle in TNA? I don't follow TNA( saw a few episodes on FSN and saw the first couple spike episodes). I saw TNA a couple weeks ago and there was no mention of AJ Styles from what I could tell. Guy seemed like he was the top star there in the past. Looked like Bubba Ray Dudley was the champion now which is crazy.

The Predator

Default Re: Aj Styles

Bully Ray (Bubba Ray) being the top man right now and top heel right now is not crazy at all if you had been watching TNA...he completely reinvented himself and got himself in shape and is one of the best heels in the business right now.
    [IMG][/IMG]

TNA FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP
    Forum Champion (8x); X (5x); Internet (1x); Tag Team Champion (11, 1x w/RZ, 1x w/Star, 3x w/badfish, 1x w/gycax, 5x w/Y2JFan)
    5x...Triple Crown Champ (Forum/X/Tag)
    1x...Grand Slam Champ (Forum/X/Internet/Tag)
    RECORDS:
    SINGLE TITLE: Most PPVs (23 PPVs as Tag); Most Reigns (11 Tag); Longest Reign (X,Tag 6 PPVs)
    OVERALL: Most PPVs (multiple titles/PPV=multiple PPVs) as champion (62); Most title reigns (25)

AJ is still with TNA but he hasn't wrestled in some time now and was off TV for a while. He's just coming back a 'new' AJ Styles.

Banner Credit: Spike

AJ Styles became the new Unabomber and took out the Impact Zone... Which is why TNA is now filming Impact on the road... Very few people know this...

He did look like he was in better shape than I remember. Looked like he was still teamed with Devon and some other guys. Looked like TNA was emulating Sons of Anarchy or something. I will say though, the show was OK but Tazz sucks dick as an announcer.

Yeah Bully has made a major change over the past few years. And he is in the same stable as Devon but they aren't a tag team anymore. Both are singles champions.

AJ had a string of bad luck and was in a match at bound for glory that stated who ever took the fall couldn't compete for the world title for a year. So after that he just went into a giant depression.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

AJ needs a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    AJ needs a hug.
    A big sweaty man-hug...

Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    Yeah Bully has made a major change over the past few years. And he is in the same stable as Devon but they aren't a tag team anymore. Both are singles champions.

AJ had a string of bad luck and was in a match at bound for glory that stated who ever took the fall couldn't compete for the world title for a year. So after that he just went into a giant depression.

I see. Guess thats a pretty interesting storyline. I really thought he was going to be a top guy in the industry, maybe even go over to WWE. Not to say he hasn't had a good career in TNA.

His being banned from title matches is to help build demand for his return and as BFG gets closer and Aces & Eights go through everyone in TNA AJ will become the great last hope to save the company.

Thread Information