Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Show Appreciation thread

It's actually Doctor Whom Froggy's Avatar

Thumbs up The Big Show Appreciation thread

Couldn't see one. Still stunned. Still appalled.

Anyway, spent my afternoon today watching Show's DVD on Netflix. Obviously it goes without saying that I'm a mental fan, but I'd love to see him get some accolades on here if there are any other FollShowers.

Had no idea the Show had to have surgery when he was a young guy, nor the heartache he had growing up. Was fascinating to learn of him being taken under Taker's wing when he started in the 'E. Had some cool footage of his best moments in his career, and all the great laughs he's given us in his many different guises.

As with all the guys who've forged a long career in WWE, these types of DVD's are a great insight into the sacrifices they've all made to give us those moments.

I'll never understand non Show fans. When he's in a good to great match, it's always the other guy. No. Not for me. Show's the man - it's mad when he can do with his size in that ring and I'll always be a fan and I'll be gutted when he hangs up his gigantic boots.

Show.

Show!
    - Heteroflexible -

- PW Hall of Fame Inductee - Class of 2013 -
    - The Sports Empire Hall of Fame Inductee - Class of 2010 -
    - 3 x TBG Poster of the Year || PW Fan Fiction Idol Champion - 2012 - || TBG Prem Predictions Champion - 2012/13 || TBG Fantasy Premier League Champion - 2013/14 -
    - Be good. -

Banned

Default Re: The Big Show Appreciation thread

I have always been a fan off The Big Show. He always has a awesome solid feud. And he's great at getting the new guys over. He is great in the ring for a guy off his size. And he's funny as well, so yeah he's a very underrated performer and am hoping he has a couple more years left in him. Because it would suck when he retires

Watched that on Netflix as well and really enjoyed it. All of those Docu-DVD's give such an interesting view of the wrestlers and what they went through to become what they are today and Show definitely had many things to overcome. I have always enjoyed him as a wrestler and while he's never been my favorite I have always liked him.

I made a Big Show appreciation thread a few years ago on another forum. Here is it.....

I've been toying with the idea of posting wrestler appreciation threads for a while now. I figured Big Show was a good guy to start with since everybody knows who he is, but for some reason he doesn't get talked about often. There doesn't seem to be much love or hate for the big man. I guess most people see him as just a solid cog in the WWE machine. He just goes out quietly and does his job well. It's hard to be invisible when you're over 7 feet tall and 450 pounds but Big Show somehow pulls it off. I am in this group myself. Only once has Big Show been in my upper tier of favorite wrestlers. For a few years in the early 2000s I didn't like him one bit. Yet for most of his career he has been a consistent performer. The kind of solid role player every promotion needs to have around. The kind of guy I like, but don't consider one of my true favorites.

However, Show has garnered considerable praise from those in the industry. Guys as diverse as Kurt Angle, Paul Heyman, Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair have heaped much praise upon him. Those four guys have little in common aside from all being wildly successful. Put them in a room together and tell them to discuss wrestling and about the only thing they'd agree on is they all think Big Show is fantastic.

In 1996, wrestling in WCW as The Giant, he was one of my favorite wrestlers. To this day, I consider his rookie year one of the most impressive runs by a monster heel ever. He burst onto the scene and just annihilated the competition. Unlike Lesnar a few years later, I had no objection to this. I bought into The Giant as a total beast.

He won the WCW World Title from Flair in impressive fashion when he calmly grabbed Flair's throat while in the figure four, stood up, and chokeslammed him 'Naitch to the mat for the three count. As a diehard Flair fan, I was frequently critical of WCW whenever Flair was defeated. This was not such an occasion. Instead of what you might expect from me, a reaction like, "That's ridiculous! A green rookie just no sold the Figure 4 and beat Flair clean as a sheet to become WCW champ! Grrrr!" I was more like, "Wow! The Giant is so badass." So yeah, I totally bought into him as this unstoppable monster.

I criticize(d) WCW constantly, but the Giant push was one time they hit a home run. He came in and went toe to toe with Hogan, destroyed fellow giant, Loch Ness, annihilated Flair to win the belt and was booked very well as champ. On Nitro he frequently did battle with other credible big men or well regarded tag stars. Scott Norton, Earthquake, both Steiners and Arn Anderson were among the poor souls to suffer defeat at the hands of the rookie monster. Not once did I find his push ridiculous. Like Samoa Joe years later in ROH, I was always hoping somebody would knock him off, yet at the same time he impressed me more and more with each victory. My favorite matches of his during this run were two PPV title defenses vs. Sting and LEX LUGER. The two longtime stars remained credible while still making the Giant look like a million bucks in defeat.

When he lost the title to The Huckster, it was one of the final straws for me as a WCW viewer. I stopped watching a few days later on a show where The Giant impressively squashed Chris Benoit in under a minute. In this match, he hit a DROPKICK! It was awesome.

Having stopped watching WCW in August, 1996 I didn't see the Giant wrestle for a few years. Yet I was always hoping he'd come to WWF one day so I could see him dominate once more. In late '98 my dream was about to become a reality. Giant signed with WWF and I was pumped. He debuted in impressive fashion at the St. Valentine's Massacre PPV, interfering in the Austin-McMahon cage match by throwing Austin THROUGH THE CAGE! I was expecting huge things from the big man.....

But it never happened. Now called The Big Show, he had put on a lot of weight and didn't get the super push in WWF that he did in WCW. I was really pumped for his first major match against Mick Foley at WM 15, but the match was a big disappointment. Show just sorted of drifted around the main event scene for his first 9 months in the company. He did win the WWF Title out of the blue at Survivor Series '99 but ended up being a midcard champion. His reign was best remembered for a sports entertainmenty feud with The Bossman. I personally found that feud hilarious, but it wasn't becoming of a world title feud. He soon lost the title to HHH and became just another guy. The constant face/heel turns didn't help. WWF didn't seem to know how to book him, but at the same time, Show seemed to be really lazy. I blame both parties for the relative disappointment of his early WWE career.

For a few months in 2000 he got a winning gimmick of 'the guy who imitates other wrestlers.' Others had done this gimmick before. Most notably ECW's Blue World Order. It always amused me though. My favorite Show impersonation had to be "The Showster" which was a hilarious spot on Hogan impersonation. He wrestled one match in this persona against Kurt Angle at Backlash 2000. The crowd and I ate it up.

That short lived gimmick didn't last long. When it died, so did whatever momentum Show had. He ended up getting sent to OVW for a while. Came back at the 2001 Royal Rumble and became the world's biggest midcarder for a few years.

In late 2002, he got another inexplicable World Title reign when he handed Brock Lesnar his first loss. Again, he lost the belt soon after to Kurt Angle. However, around this time he started to recapture some of the greatness of his rookie year. He had a good series of matches with Lesnar, including a famous Smackdown bout where Brock superplexed Show through the ring!

Since then I think he's been the Mr. Consistency of WWE. He's rarely great, but he's always solid. Some of my favorite Big Show moments from then on include.....

-A match with Undertaker where he sold the sleeper by being tired! Greatest...sell....ever. Nobody else remembers this match, but I swear it happened. I believe it was an episode of Smackdown in 2002 or 2003.
    -Another great Big Show sell came the week after he submitted to Hardcore Holly during Holly's inexplicable push. He was selling a neck injury during a match with Funaki. He couldn't lift Funaki for the Chokeslam, so he just comedically punched him in the face for the win. Another endearing Show quality is he's a great comedian. The sells against 'Taker and Funaki are two of my favorite sells ever.
    -His ECW Title defense vs. Flair. Flair is my favorite Big Show opponent. I love the dynamic of big angry monster vs. fragile old man with a million dirty tricks. That match was a mini-classic. It's a top 5 favorite Big Show match for me and also a top 5 match from ECW on Sci Fi.
    -The Mayweather match at Wrestlemania 24. I couldn't imagine that match turning out any better than it did. Arguably Big Show's greatest single performance. The first encounter at No Way Out was also good stuff.
    -The mat wrestling match against Kane. Seeing the two giants chain wrestle remains one of the most surreal things I have ever seen in a wrestling ring.
    -Numerous multi-man matches. Show is used best in multi-man matches. There is a formula to it that makes Show look like a beast every time. He always dominates the early going. Everybody else then unites to get rid of him because he is the biggest threat. Some great examples of this include the Wrestlemania 2000 4-Way (The Big Show was involved in that matches best moments) and a Smackdown 4-Way vs. Angle, Booker and JBL

My biggest issue with Show is probably how he has been booked for years , and no matter what he does and who he beats and how impressive he is in doing so ... I know sooner or later he is just being set up as fodder for the next up and coming face or heel who they want to put over , its really no fault of his own as I think he is good in the ring for a man his size and has enough charisma to win me over ... but I just can't ever fully invest in him at this point ... he's just there .. being kind of boring.

Its sad too , because I'm a total mark for monsters (heels especially) , there is hope though after seeing Henry finally becoming what he should of been all along.

For a few months in 2000 he got a winning gimmick of 'the guy who imitates other wrestlers.' Others had done this gimmick before. Most notably ECW's Blue World Order. It always amused me though. My favorite Show impersonation had to be "The Showster" which was a hilarious spot on Hogan impersonation. He wrestled one match in this persona against Kurt Angle at Backlash 2000. The crowd and I ate it up
    This is probably my favorite run of Show's career in the WWE.
    -Bender-

2013 Sports Empire Most Valuable Poster
    2012 & 2013 Gridiron Poster of the Year

Yeah, his booking has sucked over the years. Great wrestler considering his size, and he's a good talker but he's been booked shit. he was made into a pussy his first years in WWF. His booking only started to be better after he was sent to WWECW and then when he came back in 2008. Still sucked at times but the past year they've been good with him. Shame he doesn't have a 1-on-1 match for Mania but he had his moment last year.

I'm a bigger Big Show fan that I realised. When he was a face I didn't really care for him, his heel turn has reminded me how awesome he is though. For a guy his size I enjoy watching him in matches, he's a good talker, and really plays the whole "unstoppable monster" character well. I agree with most though, his booking hasn't really helped him over the length of his career.

-his longevity, especially for a guy his size is hardly ever talked about. Wasn't his first Wrestlemania WM 2000?

-his in-ring work of the last year was awesome, especially in his matches with Sheamus

-he is great at being both a heel and a face

I am not his biggest fan Froggy, however the guy deserves to be held in high regard. In my opinion, it should be him wrestling Del Rio for the WHC at Wrestlemania.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

I would have liked to see what he could have been if he didn't gain so much damn weight. Much like Andre, the guy was so impressive his rookie year. I remember him doing a dropkick on someone. Big Show the heel is so much better imo than the comical face version. One thing that the WWE fucked up when he first came was that he lost several matches. I think that took some steam of him that he never got back. They should have made him unstoppable until someone like SCSA beat him at a big PPV. Btw, one of the coolest wresters to meet in person. I have a pic with him after a boxing fight in Vegas and I met him at the ECW arena in Philly. Both times he was very nice.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 03-20-2013 at 12:40 AM.

I'm not the biggest fan of Big Show, but I really do appreciate watching him in the ring taking bumps, and being very agile for his size. He also seems like a really great guy out of the ring so he has earned my respect over the years.

He's one of those guys that I just never understood the hype for. I look back on his career, the titles, the longevity..and I just don't see it. I'm always bored to death when he's in action because to me, he's always just been another guy that is there because of his size.

I didn't even like him in WCW, where everyone always says he was amazing. How many times have we heard "Show has only sucked since he came to the WWE"? A lot. I'm not even one of those guys. I've always thought he sucked.

BUT!

You can't deny the fact that he's a legend. I hold him in the same regard (not the same level, mind you) as Hulk Hogan: everything he does makes me yawn, but I get it. I get why he was/is successful. I get why others love him. I get why I should love him...but I just don't.

That being said, his match with Sheamus at Survivor Series was all Show, and should've been MOTY. Even I can admit that.

EDIT: Oh, also, he strikes me as one of the kindest, most fun people in the business. That's something that should be mentioned.

The RTruth
    RT is about to buy his 2nd house and still isn't really sure how.

RIP Oscar Taveras :( SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

I have never really been a big fan of Show. He is good, but there just has never been anything about him that made him click with me.

The most I have ever liked him was when he was ECW Champion.

surrender

I absolutely love the guy. Such a good, clever worker, and a wonderfully kind human being. If he won the WWE title again at some point, I would not be disappointed.

In the name of KEBAB Johnny Cage's Avatar

I love big show. He always entertains me

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I absolutely love the guy. Such a good, clever worker, and a wonderfully kind human being. If he won the WWE title again at some point, I would not be disappointed.
    I feel like Show is one of those guys (and I would list Kane and Daniel Bryan, among others, in this category as well) who you just NEVER hear a bad word about as a human being. Most guys at least have their moments, but it's clear that Show is just one of the best people in the business.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

When Big Show is bad, he is really bad.

That said, when he is on his game, there are few better, which is made more impressive due to his size. The guy does stuff some people half his size didn't or couldn't (never saw Batista do diving elbows and missile dropkicks.)

He's definitely a headliner for the Hall of Fame.
    Bow before Da Look. Resistance is Futile.

Show is someone I find almost impossible to dislike.

He can make almost any situation or gimmick entertaining no matter how bad they look on paper. He can play a great monster heel as well as a lovable babyface. His matches and promos are good. Definitely one of the best big men of all time.

Also seeing him live, in person is such an incredible thing. He will always be a draw because of his size.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

Yeah, it's all already been said. Show fucking rules. I agree with the whole " it's always the other guy " when it comes to Show having good matches. It's unfair as he does more than his fair share.

In the name of KEBAB Johnny Cage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_Flair View Post
    he's always just been another guy that is there because of his size.
    with all my respect , I don't agree this. Khali is a guy who is there because of his size.He's not talented in ring and mic. But big show is a good wrestler for a giant.also good in mic.and hes able to perform as both face and heel. obviously not a superstar, but a valuable worker for the business

The fact that he has been such a successful face and heel so many times, even though he's had ordinary man's booking for a lot of his career, is testament to his ability as a wrestler regardless of his size.

Long-time Show fan. His best attribute by far is to just make you care. At the least, I care what he's doing. His mannerisms and emotions depending on the role are always spot on. His feud with Lesnar is one of my all-time favorites. Great tag-team with Kane and Jericho. Been involved in a lot of notable matches and moments. Helluva career and it's not over yet.

Banned

Totally agree Big Red. His fued with lesnar was by far my favouirte.
    And also it's just so great how over the last 2 years he has had awesome fueds. He got Daniel Bryan too the next level. And he even had a awesome midcard fued with Cody Rhodes.
    He is just awesome. I hated the WHC fued between Del rio and sheamus. But as soon as show came into the picture he got me interested again.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I was creeping somewhere and saw where someone posted a screen cap of his DM conversation with Show on twitter. Paul's actually a pretty cool guy.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

The fact he's a good guy outside the ring adds a lot to the appreciation people have for him. There are so many guys out there who are pretty poor when it comes to fans or just aren't as nice people as someone like Show.

I've been a fan of Big show for a long time but this last year he has been killing it, i've enjoyed alot of the feuds hes been in. Everyone forgets the little feud he had with HHH around 06.

Thanks To Hayze

Thread Information