Thread: A Question from Bret Hart

Default A Question from Bret Hart

I was on facebook here this morning and I saw what Bret Hart posted which was very interesting question

Bret Hart
    If owen was still around do you think he would still be wrestling?
    No but I think he would still be in it. I could see him working side by side with Jerry … He was always good on commentary.

If you could wrestle one more big match at Wrestlemania who would you choose and why?
    Undertaker so I could break his streak.

to answer that I think Owen would be great doing commentary on Raw next to Lawler , but I think he would have been WWE Champion by now and he just might have been in the HOF .
    What would be even more interesting is him and Taker at WM , now that would be something I would pay to see time and time again.
    What are your thoughts about this?
    People Power + Mizz TV = Ratings

Default Re: A Question from Bret Hart

He has a lot of respect for the Undertaker so I don't think it's that surprising. A match with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania is about the biggest thing a wrestler can do in their career nowadays (at least since the streak has become important). I'd say the biggest matches of Edge, Orton and Batista's careers came against Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Shawn Michaels match with Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 is a classic and might be remembered as one of the biggest and best of his career. Punk could very well be having the biggest match of his career against Undertaker in several weeks.

Not surprised he would like to face The Undertaker - really is one of the biggest matches you can have, especially considering where the streak is at now in terms of prestige. I didn't watch a lot of wrestling when Owen was around, I was pretty young and have only seen old videos/dvds and such. Wasn't he planning to quit the wrestling business in the near future to spend more time with his family? I think I've read that in a few people's auto-biographies - so I'm surprised to see Bret say that (assuming it is his actual account ). I guess he could have always gone back to it at some point in life, he'd probably be involved somehow. Most people who really have a passion seem to stick around in some way shape or form.

Acutally Owen was on planning on retiring months after his fatal accident, but I think he would have stuck around for a while doing odd matches here and there, or he may have gone to WCW at the time. Either way having Owen do a match with Taker would have been a great thing to see no doubt .
    People Power + Mizz TV = Ratings

I could see Owen going to WCW in late 1999/ early 2000 but end up back in WWF around Royal Rumble 2002 like Mr Perfect. But Owen being more sensible would have stayed and become part of SmackDown, wrestling Kurt Angle, Edge, Benoit, Eddie, Brock, etc. Might have even gotten a WWE Title run if he had stayed until 2004 after Brock left. I don't see him wrestling past that but I agree he would have transitioned to being either road agent or color commentator, maybe even a GM role.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Love the smell of napalm Slushy's Avatar

Hart Vs. Undertaker should've happened at Wrestlemania 11. Even the DVD re-release cover agrees!

Banned

Owen (as mentioned) was about to leave wrestling a few years later after his untimely death. Even then, I think he was thinking about going to WCW to be with Bret there. Like Bret said, he might be doing commentary but not performing in the ring.

He would have never been world champion if he had retired by the end of the AE.

has it stands when he died he was passing his prime and stuck in a comedy gimmick.

what happend to owen was tragic and the dude was cool has hell when i met him. but being wwe champion was not his destiny.

im not even sure about him on commentary with that somewhat nasal sounding voice he had.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

Of course Bret thinks his crippled ass should break the streak.

WCW, returns as agent for WWE with the odd appearance on TV and maybe the odd match.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    I could see Owen going to WCW in late 1999/ early 2000 but end up back in WWF around Royal Rumble 2002 like Mr Perfect. But Owen being more sensible would have stayed and become part of SmackDown, wrestling Kurt Angle, Edge, Benoit, Eddie, Brock, etc. Might have even gotten a WWE Title run if he had stayed until 2004 after Brock left. I don't see him wrestling past that but I agree he would have transitioned to being either road agent or color commentator, maybe even a GM role.
    In 2004 he woulda been 39-40; a World title run wouldn't have been out of the question (Bradshaw was 37 when he switched to JBL) but Owen? I really don't know about that -- like Zeki mentioned, multiple wrestlers have said that Owen was planning to retire within a matter of months or a couple of years anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler View Post
    Of course Bret thinks his crippled ass should break the streak.
    In fairness, what's he supposed to say? He wants to lose to Taker and become just another notch?

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

"I'd love to wrestle the Undertaker one more time, I think we could really give the WrestleMania crowd something to remember."

Once again, Bret buys too much into his own hype.

I agreed that if Owen had lived he would have going to WCW for awhile and yes I also think that he would have won a world title. ASfar as still being around I don't know maybe back stage as a road guy. I don't think he would be in the HOF yet Still to young. I feel sorry that he not in yet, but as long as his wife is alive that not going to happen. In one way I can see where she is comeing from, but on the hand she is killing the second greatest love of his life. Her and his kids being the first.

As far as Bret & Undertaker at WM streak or no streak I would love it.

I'd love it if Owen and CM Punk coulda done commentary together, that woulda been epic
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

Thread Information