Thread: CM Punk's 2011 Contract Negotiation.

Last Call

Default CM Punk's 2011 Contract Negotiation.

OK. Maybe this is a conspiracy theory, and maybe, I am reading too much into this. Has anyone ever wondered if when Punk came back in 2011 he put some demands in his contract?

-One year title reign beginning in Madison Square Garden
    -Return for Paul Heyman
    -Ending the Streak?

I've always wondered about this considering how fundamentally the direction changed for Punk during his most recent contract. Could these have been some of his demands for re-signing?
    Vote godAM and WrestlingMVP for TT KOTF

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Default Re: CM Punk's 2011 Contract Negotiation.

Out of those, I highly doubt ending the streak was one of them. And Heyman came back because of Brock I'm pretty sure, it was just happened that Punk ended up with him while the re-negotiations were going on for Brock I'm pretty sure. Plus, Punk and Heyman have history going back to WWECW. I could see him requesting a Title reign, or even Vince/HHH saying, 'hey man, you sign and we'll toss in a lengthy Title reign for ya'. The rest was just icing I feel.

Banner by-ThreadKiller

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

There's no way that ending the streak is in the contract, but I could believe the other two.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I'm pretty much in agreeance with Ringking. Lenthy title reign was probably promised, not those other things.

You're reading too much into this, I doubt a WWE negotiation would result in 3 things for one superstar. They'd possibly only agree to one. That one being the title reign, he only had the title that long because let's face it.... After Raw 1000 it was fly on the wall booking to keep Punk and the title ready for The Rock.
    - Credit: Bender -

I'd probably believe one or two of those if they were in the contract. Can't imagine that ending the streak would be in there though.

Lengthy title run was probably promised. But playing second fiddle to John Cena must have slipped Punk's mind in the negotiations.

The Heyman thing maybe, but the other two and Vince would have laughed Punk out of his office.

Banned

I doubt the title reign was even suggested. There were reports that Bryan was being considered to beat Punk at Over The Limit and then maybe again in July at Money In The Bank but they decided not to because Triple H at the time was saying how title reigns should be longer in general to add more prestige to the titles. Sheamus also had a long reign, though they were also trying to push him as the #2 guy behind Cena in the long term. I think once they decided on Rock/Punk for the Rumble, it was decided that he would keep the belt till then (even then, it was said that it was considered that Ryback would win at HIAC, and then lose it back at TLC or something.)

As mentioned, Heyman was brought back because of Brock. This was even reported. I also think (but I'm not sure) that he was only supposed to be around for the length of the Summerslam feud with Triple H (they were saving Brock's dates as much as possible, and Heyman was a good way to stand in for Brock during the build on shows where Brock wouldn't be there.) It was reported that he stuck around longer because of them deciding to align him with Punk.

The streak? Bwahahahahahaha... no.

Overall, I don't think there were any special negotiations in Punk's contract, it's just that he was led to believe (because of the MITB storyline) that he was being given a fair crack at the main event again, this time even working with the top star Cena, etc. He probably decided that sticking around was better than the alternative (going to TNA?) would have been.

I ageed with most of you threre's no way that ending the streak was put in his contract. Now I don't want nobody getting the worng idea. because I don't have anything with Punk but he not the guy that Undertaker going to give the steak up to. I don't think hes ever going to give it up, because we all know hes only got one or two more WM left and I don't see him going out on the loseing end.

Personally I think none of the above. The only ones I see making such demands and getting it is Cena and Rock.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Punk claimed he would bring back "old school prestige" to the title in his interview after Survivor Series. For what it's worth.

The streak thing is not possible, because there was doubt about whether Taker would come back.

Spoiler

The only things that I think could have been in the contract are getting the rights to "cult of personality" for his theme, winning the wwe title match at wrestlemania, and he probably has something allowing him atleast partial creative control over his promos. I think he re-signed because the WWE realized Punk could be batman to Cena's superman. I dont think the year long title reign was planned but at some point they realized it was the right thing to do to both put Punk and Rock over heading into wrestlemania 29.

I think long term Punk is going to replace Lawler and fill a similar role of commentator and part time wrestler. If he could make the divas NXT watchable then he could do wonders for the product as a while on commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The only things that I think could have been in the contract are getting the rights to "cult of personality" for his theme, winning the wwe title match at wrestlemania, and he probably has something allowing him atleast partial creative control over his promos. I think he re-signed because the WWE realized Punk could be batman to Cena's superman. I dont think the year long title reign was planned but at some point they realized it was the right thing to do to both put Punk and Rock over heading into wrestlemania 29.

I think long term Punk is going to replace Lawler and fill a similar role of commentator and part time wrestler. If he could make the divas NXT watchable then he could do wonders for the product as a while on commentary.
    I'm not so sure about that...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

maybe in 15 years or so. Punk on commentary is great.

Thread Information