Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, did Cena just accidentally call The Rock the greatest of all time?

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Default So, did Cena just accidentally call The Rock the greatest of all time?

Cena quoted Mike Tyson twice last night, first the quote Tyson made against Lennox Lewis about eating his children, which I must admit made me lol, and the next one was a quote where Tyson said in order to be the best you must beat everyone living.

Now that one made me think this morning, because if there is anyone in wrestling who can actually make that claim its The Rock.

Even when Cena wins at Mania he still won't be able to make that claim, because there are quite a few notable wrestling legends that are still around that Cena has never even faced let alone beat, like Austin, Hogan, Flair (I don't think), and Undertaker.

Rock has pretty much beaten everybody, Hogan, Austin, Undertaker, Cena, Punk, Foley, Angle, Benoit, Eddie, HHH and anyone else.

The only note worthy names missing from Rock's list are HBK and Brock Lesnar.

HBK is always retired when Rock is active otherwise I'm sure he would have lost to Rock in a great match and Lesnar is likely going to lose to Rock at SummerSlam or Mania 30.

So given Rock's record and Cena's mike Tyson quote, wouldn't that be a strong case for Rock being called the G.O.A.T.?

I mean only Taker can claim to have beaten the same men as Rock, so maybe its between them, but actually Taker can add HBK to that too so maybe that quote belongs to him.

Rock did beat Austin, Hogan, and Cena at Manias though so that could be his trump card over Taker in that argument.

Anyways the Tyson quote that Cena gave does make for an interesting debate.

Is beating every great living enough to call Rock, Taker, Cena or anyone else the G.O.A.T.?

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Default Re: So, did Cena just accidentally call The Rock the greatest of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Cena quoted Mike Tyson twice last night, first the quote Tyson made against Lennox Lewis about eating his children, which I must admit made me lol, and the next one was a quote where Tyson said in order to be the best you must beat everyone living.

...[T]here are quite a few notable wrestling legends that are still around that Cena has never even faced let alone beat, like ... Undertaker.
    And now you know the real reason why they cut that promo. They just gave Cena's motivation for his eventual match with Undertaker. As soon as Cena said that quote, I knew that this match with Rock is as much a stepping-stone to WM30 as beating Punk last week was a stepping-stone to WM29.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Default Re: So, did Cena just accidentally call The Rock the greatest of all time?

Well, since by WWE logic Shawn is the GOAT, doesn't that already make Cena the GOAT?

Good point DC...I could actually see some kind of almost year long feud being made for that one too.

He'd still be missing Austin and Hogan on his hit list though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Well, since by WWE logic Shawn is the GOAT, doesn't that already make Cena the GOAT?
    No because HBK has pretty much lost to everyone on the list...he's like the opposite of that quote.

I think he's only thought of as GOAT only in terms of ring work, there's no way he could be called that in terms of kayfabe wins and losses, hell just look at his god awful Mania record.

I hope by this point Cena vs. Taker is a lock for Wrestlemania 30. It's a match that would entertain old fans, new fans, and casual fans. Also, you would have to wonder if it will be Taker's farewell match. The only person I can see "screwing it up" is Steve Austin.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Rock will still be The Greatest Of All-Time, but should Cena beat him and end the Streak, he'll be the greatest of his generation.

He called The Rock the greatest of all time last year on the RAW after last years Mania anyway.

BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Kafabe wise Triple H and Undertaker are the ones who would be able to make that claim espically after they get their wins at mania... they would of really beaten pretty much them all.

Which is basic but smart pro wrestling logic.

If you wax lyrical about your opponent then you've achieved something in victory, but if he beats you it's alright because you were beaten by one of the best.

Sadly, the problem is the opposite is way too common.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKliq View Post
    Kafabe wise Triple H and Undertaker are the ones who would be able to make that claim espically after they get their wins at mania... they would of really beaten pretty much them all.
    Shit, I completely forgot HHH had beat Hogan in 02 and with his multiple victories over HBK that does give him one legend over Rock in the GOAT argument.

I guess Rock would still have the more impressive Mania victories trump card over HHH because he's beaten 3 of the biggest names ever at Mania and HHH only beat 1, ironically it was Rock himself at WM16.

As much as I'm an Undertaker fan and a fan of the streak, The Rock being the only man to hold WM wins over Hogan, Austin and Cena in my opinion is equally as impressive.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

It kind of tickles me that The Rock is pretty much the only major legend from the last 25 years that never had a crowning title winning moment at WrestleMania, but it's almost made irrelevant with his wins over Hogan, Austin and Cena, which collectively is pretty much bigger than any title win could've been.

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    As much as I'm an Undertaker fan and a fan of the streak, The Rock being the only man to hold WM wins over Hogan, Austin and Cena in my opinion is equally as impressive.
    It's EXTREMELY impressive. For me, those 4 are in an elite category of their own, and for Rock to have defeated the other 3 members at Wrestlemania is just huge.

I do agree it's smart of Cena to put over Rock in such a big way. I mean, look at HHH's Wrestlemania Match with HHH, and in the build up he said Cena was a shitty wrestler. Well done HHH, either you beat a shitty wrestler or lost to a shitty wrestler. Aren't you fantastic?

Cena putting over Rock, if he loses, he lost to the greatest, if he beats the Rock, he beat the greatest.
    Bow before Da Look. Resistance is Futile.

I do agree it's smart of Cena to put over Rock in such a big way. I mean, look at HHH's Wrestlemania Match with HHH, and in the build up he said Cena was a shitty wrestler. Well done HHH, either you beat a shitty wrestler or lost to a shitty wrestler. Aren't you fantastic?

Cena putting over Rock, if he loses, he lost to the greatest, if he beats the Rock, he beat the greatest.
    You mean with Cena. But I wouldn't put it past HHH to have a WM match with himself one day! (Triple Threat: DX Triple H vs. Evolution Triple H vs. COO Triple H!)

That's how I see it with Cena/Rock. It was a great segment to help promote their match.

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

To be fair though, John Cena has beaten everyone he's ever faced. Except K-Fed.

Hogan never beat Austin or Taker.

Trips never beat Hogan. Taker did. He beat Austin, too. And the Rock. And Triple H. And HBK. And Cena.

Cena's beat Taker before, but Taker is the GOAT. If Cena beats the Rock, and breaks the streak, K-Fed will be the GOAT.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhart View Post
    To be fair though, John Cena has beaten everyone he's ever faced. Except K-Fed.

Hogan never beat Austin or Taker.

Trips never beat Hogan. Taker did. He beat Austin, too. And the Rock. And Triple H. And HBK. And Cena.

Cena's beat Taker before, but Taker is the GOAT. If Cena beats the Rock, and breaks the streak, K-Fed will be the GOAT.
    Triple H defeated Hogan in a #1 Contender's Match on Smackdown back in 2002. But if we are talking abouts 90s Hogan than I see what you're saying.

Isn't the most basic things in a storyline is to make your opponent look strong to a certain degree? Especially if you are going to lose eventually. Seems odd that HHH made such a rookie mistake (I don't remember their storyline all that well).

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    Triple H defeated Hogan in a #1 Contender's Match on Smackdown back in 2002. But if we are talking abouts 90s Hogan than I see what you're saying.
    Then Taker and Trips are tied. But Taker wins out because he's got the upper hand on W/L.

Spoiler

Talking about who's the greatest ever in wrestling is the same as fans debating who the greatest Quarterback is in NFL history. There's never going to be a selection that everyone will agree with it. The conversation and debate rages on which keeps us going as fans.

Banned

I was more struck by how Rock seemed to imply that Cena was full of performance enhancing drugs.

Banned

Austin done all that, add in his Rumble wins and King of the Ring too.

Bitchslapped Rock twice at Mania and only major names missing off his rec are Hogan and Lesnar.

Austin has a much better claim at GOAT.

I feel incredibly stupid saying this about a fake sport though.

Banned

People make too big of a deal out of wins and losses. Especially since you're talking about a fake sport anyways.

Id rather talk about who the best in-ring performer is...to me thats the real GOAT. Not what the writers or bookers put down on paper.

I think the GOAT is mighty tasty when cooked in the ground for a couple of days... with some pico de gallo, tortillas, and beer!
    "Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next.

--Richard Morgan Fliehr

Thread Information