Thread: Idea For The Two World Titles

Banned

Default Idea For The Two World Titles

This is an idea that could be cool - I'm not talking about unifying the WWE Title and World Heavyweight Championships (although I'm always all for that) but rather someone winning both world titles and holding them on both of his shoulders at the same time. Imagine that for a few months or however long this person held both belts, they went around proclaiming to be the ultimate world champion of the company.

The idea could work because there isn't really a brand extension anymore. Someone might try to point out a flaw in the idea by saying that if someone had both belts and they weren't unified, wouldn't they have to defend them both in separate matches? My answer to that is that this person could either simply defend them both as if they were one world title, with the idea that the person who won them acquires both belts, or since that idea is very close to it being just one unified championship, maybe they get their way of having to defend them both every month by the 30 day rule. The original rule stated that you have to defend your title every 30 days. As long as they were defending at least one of the belts every 30 days, they could still get by on it.

Someone might try to point out another flaw by pointing out that it screws up the house show situation because both house shows circuits aren't being headlined by a different world champion. Really? The Rock is the WWE Champion and isn't appearing at house shows as we speak (not a negative criticism, just pointing out facts.) I think the house shows could survive for however long this guy held both titles. Besides, does anyone really believe that a world title is gonna change hands at a house show anyway? When's the last time ANY title switched hands at a house show? Jeff Jarrett losing to Edge in 1999? (And he won it back the next night at Fully Loaded 1999.) I think house show business does well because of the guys involved and the WWE brand name, so house shows wouldn't be affected at all.

Here's another idea - this same person loses both of them in the same way that Kurt Angle lost the IC and European Championships at Wrestlemania 16 (I don't say Wrestlemania 2000, it sounds so lame and generic.) For those who don't remember, he wore both belts and had to defend them against Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit in a triple threat match that contained two different falls/matches - the first fall was for the IC Title and the second was for the European title. In the first fall, Benoit pinned Jericho to win the IC Title and Jericho pinned Benoit to win the European Title in the second fall. Do the same with the world champion - he has to defend them both in a triple threat match against two opponents and there are two different falls, one for each belt. The champ walks away with neither belt, despite not being pinned or forced into submission in either fall.

I think it's a good idea to try on someone who has just made their way into the main event. Take Ziggler for example. If he were to qualify to compete for the WWE Title (by winning a tournament or battle royal or whatever) and won the belt but also used his briefcase to win the WHC that same night. And then after carrying both belts for awhile, he lost them both without taking the pin himself.

Default Re: Idea For The Two World Titles

Too complicated. It would be no different in overall effect than unifying the belts, but it would be too confusing and illogical to pull off for TV unless it ended very, very soon after in the method you described from WM2000.

Props for creativity, I just can't see it working well in practice.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

I had thought that's what they could do with Ziggler. If they were going to do it then it needs to be someone who needs the boost. I think it's a good idea myself.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

It might have been interesting to tackle back when CM Punk was still the WWE Champ, just furthering his Best In The World claim by holding both titles, but it's hard to see it working otherwise. Neat idea though.

The RTruth
    RT hates moving.

Banned

Yeah, I thought about it working with CM Punk. I actually thought that if they had unified the belts already, that Punk doing it last year (unifying them in the middle of his long title reign would have definitely added to his Best In The World gimmick) would have been best.

Banned

Bump.

Another idea for the guy to lose both titles would be if the two different MITB winners cashed in on him Imagine he successfully defended both belts in the triple threat idea that was took after Wrestlemania 2000. Then, one MITB winner comes out and cashes in on him. Then the other right afterwards, and he loses both belts back to back.

That'd be a bad day...

Both Jerricho and Triple H had the two belt thing going for a few months. So that aspect has been done. And you've already pointed out enough flaws on your own to show that the idea wouldn't work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    Both Jerricho and Triple H had the two belt thing going for a few months. So that aspect has been done. And you've already pointed out enough flaws on your own to show that the idea wouldn't work.
    When did triple H have it going on? He held up the belts at WM X-8 but that was it. In Jericho's case, he was only technically defending one actual title. He might have had two belts on his shoulders, but they were technically unified in terms of title linage. It's different this time since the two titles are still technically supposed to be defended separately. The 'flaws' I brought up because I don't feel they are strong arguments at all against the idea.

The day one person holds both belts in the WWE is when they decide to unify those titles. It wont happen until that point.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    Bump.

Another idea for the guy to lose both titles would be if the two different MITB winners cashed in on him Imagine he successfully defended both belts in the triple threat idea that was took after Wrestlemania 2000. Then, one MITB winner comes out and cashes in on him. Then the other right afterwards, and he loses both belts back to back.
    that would be GOLD.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

When did triple H have it going on? He held up the belts at WM X-8 but that was it. In Jericho's case, he was only technically defending one actual title. He might have had two belts on his shoulders, but they were technically unified in terms of title linage. It's different this time since the two titles are still technically supposed to be defended separately.
    According to Jim Ross on "The History of the WWE Championship" DVD when the WWF/WWE and WCW/WHC titles were unified, the "Undisputed title" was meant to recognize both titles. Like two major highways that merge together for a few miles before separating again to continue in different directions.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think re-unifying the titles at this time is a good idea. And I'm also no fan of trading briefcases cor championships as it makes the titles and the paper champions look pathetic. But I must say that is a good way to separate them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    According to Jim Ross on "The History of the WWE Championship" DVD when the WWF/WWE and WCW/WHC titles were unified, the "Undisputed title" was meant to recognize both titles. Like two major highways that merge together for a few miles before separating again to continue in different directions.
    The WCW title history technically ends with Jericho.

I like the idea just not sure if it would work. There one your idea that wouldn't work and thats the one about the 30 day rule. They don't inforce that rule. Point Punk gets hurt Monday after SS doesn't compete at TLC wait a few weeks after to defend on Raw. Now I'am sure there was more then 30 days between SS and that Raw. Unless he did it on a house show or dark match that I didn't hear about.

But like I said I like the Idea

Thread Information