Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWE Going More Adult?

Default WWE Going More Adult?

I had the kiddo's over last Monday Night and we watched Raw, but much to my chagrin, it turned into one of those "Don't tell your mom we watched this" episodes. We had the bloody beat down with Brock Lesnar and Triple H, a guy telling everyone he was God, some extremist right wing politics, and overall just a much more serious, violent program than what I seen when I first started watching again this time last year.

This, and I notice a lot of the movies that WWE is advertising are targeted towards the adult demographic, as opposed to something you can take the whole family to go see. Movies about kidnappings and Dead Man Down etc.

While this isn't something I would watch with the kiddo's, this is definitely something I'm happy to see happening with the WWE. This doesn't mean the Attitude Era is returning, and this isn't one of those threads. Just because WWE is shifting over to more emphasis on the 18-35 year old demographic doesn't mean we're going to see Attitude 2.0.

Also this is something I've seen gradually happen ever since CM Punk's heel turn on Raw 1000. I've posted it elsewhere, but it really reminds me of the transition WWE went through in 1997.

This has been the first full year of WWE I've kept up with since 99-00, so this may just be something they do around WrestleMania time every year. Has anyone else noticed this though? Has the WWE become much more edgy since Raw 1000, or is it just me?

Default Re: WWE Going More Adult?

The Swagger/Colter storyline is definitely toeing that line of something parents might not want their kids to be watching.

The Lesnar blood was an accident, and I didn't see the Punk thing as overly edgy. It isn't like he went to a church and spit out holy water or anything...

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    I just got home from work and turned this on. Fuck Monday Night Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice on Daniel Bryan
    I don't want to see his face anymore. It makes me want to die.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Yeah I agree with the Swagger/Coulter storyline definitely being more adult. The Lesnar blood wasn't planned though - just something that happened unintentionally. I haven't noticed a big change or anything really. They've probably loosened the reigns a little since it is the build up to 'mania but I don't expect any big shift away from the PG kinda stuff.

Tied to the tree of woe WickedOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeki View Post
    Yeah I agree with the Swagger/Coulter storyline definitely being more adult. The Lesnar blood wasn't planned though - just something that happened unintentionally. I haven't noticed a big change or anything really. They've probably loosened the reigns a little since it is the build up to 'mania but I don't expect any big shift away from the PG kinda stuff.
    Not to mention with Linda failing again, they don't have to toe the line as much as during the election.

Banned

Yeah raw was edgy last Monday. And I liked it?
    I have been so tired off the PG crap they have shown over the last couple off years. Remember when The Muppets were on the show
    Anyway I hope they steer towards a more edgier type off show. And also I really hope they go back too being TV-14

Quote Originally Posted by WickedOne View Post
    Not to mention with Linda failing again, they don't have to toe the line as much as during the election.
    I'm really hoping the Zeb character is a sign that Linda's political ambitions are over. Granted she doesn't need tea party votes in CT. the angle has been pissing off the more right wing part of the GOP.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spear View Post
    Yeah raw was edgy last Monday. And I liked it?
    I have been so tired off the PG crap they have shown over the last couple off years. Remember when The Muppets were on the show
    Anyway I hope they steer towards a more edgier type off show. And also I really hope they go back too being TV-14
    This I really doubt because SO many kids watch the program. If WWE were to go back to TV -14, they would lose alot of viewers. It just wouldn't make sense to them. Imagine if you were Vince, and you called everyone in for a meeting. You say we are going back to a TV-14 rating. People would be very confused about this idea. It would all go down hill because no one would know how to start it. They simply need to come up with better, more entertaining storylines.

Banned

They have spells like this from time to time then go back to the babyfaces telling poopy jokes and insinuating the heels are gay.

Remember the Jericho/Michaels feud in '07, when Jericho legit punched Mrs HBK in the face? Nothing changed.

I did not know Punk was still doing that. I missed his promo on Raw. I hate that angle. I wish that the WWE would stop that. Other than that I do not mind more adult material but I have a feeling the WWE will make it all subjects I do not find funny or entertaining. I absolutely hate the Zeb and Swagger story too. So far I just FF it.

There's no good reason to go back to 14 when they can still do edgy stuff under the current rating.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    There's no good reason to go back to 14 when they can still do edgy stuff under the current rating.
    I agree. If they can just turn it up slightly and keep the PG rating its all good. TV14 wasn't always good, there were "adult" yet childish stupid angles like Beaver Cleavage, Val Venis getting his penis chopped off, turret's Gold Dust, etc. I just want good convincing angles that don't insult my intelligence.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Detractors of Attitude Era always try to point out bad moments in the Attitude Era like they're proof that the Era sucked, when truthfully there were about an equal amount of bad mements in the Attitude Era as there are truely good ones in the PG era, and that's not many.

But I doubt its a return to edgier shows, I don't really see anything all that edgy with Swagger as he hasn't quite said anything on the nose about race yet, and as everyone pointed out Lesnar was just an accident.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Detractors of Attitude Era always try to point out bad moments in the Attitude Era like they're proof that the Era sucked, when truthfully there were about an equal amount of bad mements in the Attitude Era as there are truely good ones in the PG era, and that's not many.
    That's a ridiculous statement. The AE had plenty of stupid moments and the "PG era" has had plenty of great ones. Not saying that one is better than the other, or that either sucked, but that kind of statement screams "rose colored glasses."

Every era has its strengths and weaknesses.

Bender

Its weird wwe is pg, because i read somewhere that more adults watch wwe than kids and that more kids watched the attitude era then the pg era.

One thing I remember about the Attitude Era is that they had me marking out for almost every show and PPV they did. The PG Era never had that effect on me.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

That's a ridiculous statement. The AE had plenty of stupid moments and the "PG era" has had plenty of great ones. Not saying that one is better than the other, or that either sucked, but that kind of statement screams "rose colored glasses."

Every era has its strengths and weaknesses.
    Champ its not rose colered glasses when I've never stopped watching in all that time...its just an objective opinion.

I'm a fan...and I don't just want that era to be better because it was in some point of my life that I can't let go of, or something.

I really wish this era was better because I still watch...but I think the good of that era, far out wieghed the bad and this era is kinda close to the other way around IMO.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Banned

I'd welcome an increase in adult content. I know what I'd rather watch, and Alberto Del Rio saying people's breath smells like faecal matter isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zigmeister View Post
    I'd welcome an increase in adult content. I know what I'd rather watch, and Alberto Del Rio saying people's breath smells like faecal matter isn't it.
    To be fair, I don't think anyone wants to watch that.

Bender

At this point I'm watching for the shield and cm punk and little else. Shame really but I'm just not entertained enough to watch the full 3 hours of raw each week. Still do love watching Mania and PPVs in a bar. Can't beat that.

Banned

To be fair, I don't think anyone wants to watch that.
    And yet someone thought it was a good idea.

What a strange company.

I'm pretty sure it's set in stone that they won't be changing from PG anytime soon. There will just be the occasional thing that pushes that boundary. I'm not expecting anything other than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    One thing I remember about the Attitude Era is that they had me marking out for almost every show and PPV they did. The PG Era never had that effect on me.
    I guarantee all the people on this board that constantly say the AE wasn't good marked out just as hard as you did. Its just very cool to say that era sucked or wasn't as good as people remember on this board. This is a very anti AE board. Kinda like hipsters with music. If its popular and drew the most people they think it sucked

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
    I guarantee all the people on this board that constantly say the AE wasn't good marked out just as hard as you did. Its just very cool to say that era sucked or wasn't as good as people remember on this board. This is a very anti AE board. Kinda like hipsters with music. If its popular and drew the most people they think it sucked
    Or they just enjoy something different than you do.

Bender

Or they just enjoy something different than you do.
    For people who claim to just enjoy different things they sure as shit complain an awful lot about what they supposedly enjoy. That can't be denied around here

Banned

I enjoy things about both eras. I still prefer content with a more mature slant.

With that said, I can see where this thread is going. Goodbye.

Thread Information